Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

godtabh wrote: »
    This should be in the wimp list!

Got 21km done with just over 500m of climbing. Wanted to get another 3-4 repeats but not enough time before work. May I also be excused?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Got 21km done with just over 500m of climbing. Wanted to get another 3-4 repeats but not enough time before work. May I also be excused?

No

No

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

I recently got a new bike (TREK fx 7.2 wsd), and took my first spin on it around the local housing estates on Tuesday evening...it was weird getting back on a bike after years of not cycling (got my first bike when I was 10years old and it lasted a decade!) It felt sooo good and natural (although I still have to get use to gear changing!) I really can't wait to do much more with it and clock up the mileage...without feeling like I'm polluting the environment! lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did the viewing point loop again today with slight improvements already, still stopped three times on the way up but at least I only stopped once before getting to the first junction (for glencullen) and each point I stopped was further along.

Got chatting to a former Orwell rider on the way up but when I needed to stop the first time I have him the "Go on without me, I'm already fat" speech and let him away with it. My legs were actually physically shaking so at least I can put the first stop down to physical rather than mental weakness.

Descending Kilakee/Stocking lane went much better than yesterday, I just felt more comfortable picking up speed in places and more comfortable holding the bike back at the times I didn't want to drop too fast.

If I can keep this up I might stop being a terrible cyclist.

Edit: looking at Strava my top speed today was a 55kph compared to 45kph yesterday....I suspect that was the bit just after the Hellfire Club carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Well that was interesting. Headed off today from Dunboyne into town and out towards Wicklow. COming up to the Maxol garage in Harold's Cross there was a queue back from the traffic lights so I was coming up the inside when a car came right across in front of a van and into the garage - I had no chance to do anything except hit the brakes and smack into the side of the car. Ended up lying on the ground thinking "I hope I haven't buckled my front wheel". The lady got out of the car and was all apologies, she actually said at one point - "I didn't see you lying there!" :D to which i replied, "i wasn't lying here until you hit me!". Dusted myself off and kept going - fair play to the van driver btw who offered me a lift anywhere. Inventory of cuts/breaks/bruises revealed nothing - slight scratch on my elbow where i hit the deck and a pretty painful right middle finger (no idea what that's about). In hindsight though i was a little shook up as I missed the turn i had been intending to take and had to make a little detour to get back on track.

Out to Enniskerry and down to the N11 so I could have a bash at the N11 to Kippure climb. Boy was that not fun. It was fine up to Glencree and from there on it was into the teeth of a howling gale and it just got steeper and steeper. That's my first time up to the mast and I think I underestimated it, especially into that sort of headwind. I was nearly blown off anytime the road turned so the wind was side on and it's about as close as I've come to falling/climbing off the bike. I was trying to keep my speed above 8kph. I wouldn't mind, but I'd taken the spin up to Glencree pretty handily to have something in reserve.

A bunch of elderly hikers arrived while I was at the top and asked had I come up the road. I just nonchalantly said yeah, waiting for the adulation - and one of them said "Pah, the wimpy way!".

Horrible descent hanging onto the brakes - very difficult to corner when you get buffeted by a sidewind as soon as you turn - and back towards Glencree wher I got a slow puncture. :mad: Pumped it up as best I could with my crappy little hand pump and headed for Tallaght - two stops to pump the tire later and only barely in Tallaght I said screw this and changed the tube. Got myself back over to Lucan on a nasty soft back wheel and swung by Stagg cycles who happened to be still open (just after 6). Big mention for them - two tubes for a tenner to replace the punctured one and a track pump to add some air to my wheel. Have to say, any time I've been into that shop the staff have been great - that may be about the 3rd or 4th time on various spins and they're a great advertisment for supporting your LBS. Home to Dunboyne from Lucan - the shower awaits.

**edit**
    Oh yeah, about 105K in 4h45 - would have been a bit quicker if not for the crash and the soft tire for the last 40K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Been commuting for the last 2 years on the trusty 200 euro hybrid, taking the 8km route or 12 km longer version for some hills and fresh air.

Woke up on Sunday morning at 5.30am with a desire to take the bike out for a long cycle. Popped on the gear and left at 6am headed through Carrickmines, Enniskerry and out to Roundwood. 60km in total elevation gain of 750m, 3 hours in total.

Was happy with that, but would not want to be doing it often on the bike I had. Thinking of a new bike after the summer, still a hybrid, just a better one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Well that was interesting. Headed off today from Dunboyne into town and out towards Wicklow. COming up to the Maxol garage in Harold's Cross there was a queue back from the traffic lights so I was coming up the inside when a car came right across in front of a van and into the garage - I had no chance to do anything except hit the brakes and smack into the side of the car. Ended up lying on the ground thinking "I hope I haven't buckled my front wheel". The lady got out of the car and was all apologies, she actually said at one point - "I didn't see you lying there!" :D to which i replied, "i wasn't lying here until you hit me!". Dusted myself off and kept going - fair play to the van driver btw who offered me a lift anywhere. Inventory of cuts/breaks/bruises revealed nothing - slight scratch on my elbow where i hit the deck and a pretty painful right middle finger (no idea what that's about). In hindsight though i was a little shook up as I missed the turn i had been intending to take and had to make a little detour to get back on track.

Out to Enniskerry and down to the N11 so I could have a bash at the N11 to Kippure climb. Boy was that not fun. It was fine up to Glencree and from there on it was into the teeth of a howling gale and it just got steeper and steeper. That's my first time up to the mast and I think I underestimated it, especially into that sort of headwind. I was nearly blown off anytime the road turned so the wind was side on and it's about as close as I've come to falling/climbing off the bike. I was trying to keep my speed above 8kph. I wouldn't mind, but I'd taken the spin up to Glencree pretty handily to have something in reserve.

A bunch of elderly hikers arrived while I was at the top and asked had I come up the road. I just nonchalantly said yeah, waiting for the adulation - and one of them said "Pah, the wimpy way!".

Horrible descent hanging onto the brakes - very difficult to corner when you get buffeted by a sidewind as soon as you turn - and back towards Glencree wher I got a slow puncture. :mad: Pumped it up as best I could with my crappy little hand pump and headed for Tallaght - two stops to pump the tire later and only barely in Tallaght I said screw this and changed the tube. Got myself back over to Lucan on a nasty soft back wheel and swung by Stagg cycles who happened to be still open (just after 6). Big mention for them - two tubes for a tenner to replace the punctured one and a track pump to add some air to my wheel. Have to say, any time I've been into that shop the staff have been great - that may be about the 3rd or 4th time on various spins and they're a great advertisment for supporting your LBS. Home to Dunboyne from Lucan - the shower awaits.

**edit**
    Oh yeah, about 105K in 4h45 - would have been a bit quicker if not for the crash and the soft tire for the last 40K

Jesus fair play for keeping going after the spill. Wine and sympathy for you this weekend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

**edit**

The Glencree descent is pretty messy in my humble, terrible at descending opinion.

That was some brutal wind today as well.

Stagg deserve every mention for their customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Strava Climbing Challenge done all in one go today :)
    Also my most climbing in one go.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/139354827

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Strava Climbing Challenge done all in one go today :)
    Also my most climbing in one go.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/139354827

Once I upload my ride this morning ing should be the same but took a bit longer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Once I upload my ride this morning ing should be the same but took a bit longer

Gotta get into this strava thing. Seems like a great motivator for a solo cyclist like myself.

smacl wrote: »
    Gotta get into this strava thing. Seems like a great motivator for a solo cyclist like myself.

Any extra little bit of motivation makes it that much easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

No cycling today, bike is in the LBS until Monday. :(
    I really need to buy myself another bike...

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The Glencree descent is pretty messy in my humble, terrible at descending opinion.

And the kippure descent is a total feckin' nightmare even in reasonable weather, let alone heavy winds, in my also crappy at descending opinion. I'm not a whole lot faster coming down it than going up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

Had a quick look at the weather radar before I left home this morning, formed the opinion that the shower to our southwest would probably miss us, here at home it probably did too, but by then I had myself 6km up the road right under the worst of it, saturated in no length, definitely should have gone the other way round. Despite that and the gusty wind that got up afterwards I enjoyed the spin, nice and quiet on the bog roads.

Got just over 1000 metres of climbing done in just under 40km. http://www.strava.com/activities/139495561 Really rubbish day here in Kendal. Rain was absolutely hammering down. Never been so thoroughly soaked. My Garmin seems damaged from the rain. The elevation readout was all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got out before 7 this morning. Very windy and got soaked wet.
    Did 107km and was absolutely f@@ked after it. I was tired at the start and the first 50km were more or less into the wind. 2nd half I got a some help from the wind alright but I needed it.

Managed 27.1 km/hr moving time but I did have 30 minutes stops in total. It was definitely the hardest cycle I've ever done. Just a mega suffer fest from 1st minute to last. Character building and all that!

Some great views from up around Tourmakeady. Need to bring a camera next time I go cycling up around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

smacl wrote: »

It's quite the personal trainer tbh. I've gone from not cycling for about 20+ years to doing 1284km in 40 days after 8/9 months pretty much because of Strava.

I'm refusing to do any of the "badges" this month though.

A whopping 33km this week but I have been on holidays and off the bike due to a rib injury/illness.

Fair play to anyone who was out around the Firhouse/Tallaght region today. That was some miserable and really bad weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A modest 75k yesterday afternoon. Glasnevin -> 4km shy of Sally Gap. Back home via Glencree -> Enniskerry -> Dundrum -> Baldoyle. Lovely, if blustery, weather and I did the run up from Yellow House up Cruagh road to the Kippure gate non-stop. Woo Hoo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Myself and one of the lads did Portadown to Howth (Giro Stage 3, kinda) yesterday. It was an absolute nightmare with a headwind the whole way down and getting absolutely soaked in the heaviest rain I've ever ridden in out around Loughshinny. The only saving grace was catching up and joining a group from Yorkshire for a few KMs outside of Dundalk. Glad I did it though and cant wait to see the guys passing through the same route today in the Giro....

Distance
    147.2km

Moving Time
    5:30:42

Elevation
    1,180m

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Did the route from Drogheda to Lusk this morning. Julienstown, Skerries, Ballbriggan looking very well. They're going to fly down the road big tailwind behind them. Thought I'd have to go to the continent to ride a bit of the route of the morning of a stage of a Grand Tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

First spin in 8 months today...

Did a 30km(Actually 30.7km) spin did it in 1hr 3mins 18sec @29.11km/hr...

Just went from Limerick City Centre to Bunratty and Back...Headwinds on the way out were absolutely horrid.

But all in all an ok start back in the saddle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I completed the Strava Climbing Challenge in one ride. 2,400m in 105km. It was wet, it was windy and I don't want to see the Viewing Point from any angle again for a while. 5 times up as far as Featherbeds via Cruagh Road or Stocking Lane, 6 times up to the Viewing Point.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/139915197

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

It was part of a Duathlon. 17.5km in 46 mins. Lots of hills, lots of wind and a bit of a struggle. Still, it beats spending the day on the couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

43k from Castleblaney, up and back to Fews Forest in a South Armagh to meet the Giro. Got absolutely soaked and even pelted with hailstones at one stage. Great atmosphere up there, hundreds out. All over in a few seconds but nice to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

149 km in total today was planning a 180km or so spin today but didnt happen awful , rain , windy, and halfway up wicklow gap hailstones/rain galore till valleymount. was gonna do a loop today of this route but decided against it as it was just slippery decided to go down bray through enniskerry road instead..... got soaked again on my way back so decided to go home instead perfect timing as when i arrived home had 3 missed call from the minder as my lil boy wasnt feeling well after school so babysitting now.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140299969

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

A manky viral bug that left me weak as a kitten combined with a heavy work rota meant that I haven't been out on the bike in ages. Snuck in an hour today between work and picking up the kids (25k @26kph) as a precursor to hopefully a longer run tomorrow. Felt good to be out in the fresh air :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Due to weather and other commitments I haven't been out half as much I'd have liked lately.

So today I decided I'd cycle to work. Usually I need the car as I have to travel the length and breadth of Ireland but thankfully today I was office bound so the bike was an option.

Terenure to Swords and back - 20km each way. It's bloody torture commuting having to stop at junctions and slow down for traffic but it's better than driving especially when the weather is good.

I'll have a 'proper' spin to Wicklow tomorrow to keep me sane.

Today I also learnt why cyclists have a bad name. From what I witnessed, I was the only cyclist in Dublin City who stopped at every red light. Shocking, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

crosstownk wrote: »
    Due to weather and other commitments I haven't been out half as much I'd have liked lately.

So today I decided I'd cycle to work. Usually I need the car as I have to travel the length and breadth of Ireland but thankfully today I was office bound so the bike was an option.

Terenure to Swords and back - 20km each way. It's bloody torture commuting having to stop at junctions and slow down for traffic but it's better than driving especially when the weather is good.

I'll have a 'proper' spin to Wicklow tomorrow to keep me sane.

Today I also learnt why cyclists have a bad name. From what I witnessed, I was the only cyclist in Dublin City who stopped at every red light. Shocking, really.

It can be good interval training. Sprint back up to speed each time you have to stop for a light.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement