Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Raam wrote: »
    It can be good interval training. Sprint back up to speed each time you have to stop for a light.

Yep - that's exactly how I managed it when traffic conditions allowed. I needed to get some positives!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

You'll also notice the predominance of ''sensible cyclist ephemera''among the RLJing set.

It frustrates me endlessly when obesity advocates immediately identity lycra clad roadies as the problem.

Mr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

First shake down of a new bike after 18mths off a bike due to new surgery and chronic lethargic issues :D

Changed from hybrid to proper road bike also. First time ever using cleats (look keo's) so kept it to 10k and mainly left handers.

Pulled myself out of the cleats at one junction and had a mild panic !
    Saddle is dental floss but other than that all good. A base to build from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Very short cycle today in an attempt to ease the stiffness out of my legs from Sundays Duathlon.

I did a 13.88km spin around the block in 37 minutes. A few fairly gentle hills, nothing much really. There was a lovely cool breeze and it couldn't have gone better. A buddy at work who does a LOT of cycling told me to do the whole thing in low gears and spin (I presumed that meant pedal a lot). It worked perfectly and it really reminded me of why I started cycling in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Did 64 km this evening with 27 avg, three climbs so happy out with my retun to bike this year after last years disaster off the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Christ lads, judging by the serious nature u take "strava" must be the cause of many an accident. I will be more cautious when i'm doing my leisure ride along the Coast Road to Howth next Sunay afternoon. A nice pot of tea and cucumber sandwiches half way and a rather laconic pace homeward bound while u epo heads lash pass me smelling of sweat and deep heat..buggers u ruin my day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Christ lads, judging by the serious nature u take "strava" must be the cause of many an accident. I will be more cautious when i'm doing my leisure ride along the Coast Road to Howth next Sunay afternoon. A nice pot of tea and cucumber sandwiches half way and a rather laconic pace homeward bound while u epo heads lash pass me smelling of sweat and deep heat..buggers u ruin my day

Really enjoyed this post, thanks for sharing such a wonderful tale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

That's not what laconic means...also, stop sniffing me. It's weird.

That's not what laconic means...also, stop sniffing me. It's weird.
    Qiute rite..I should have said "catatonic" instead. I'll do my best not to sniff u next time u pass..I'll be the one with a dictionary stuck up my nostrils...even weirder. See u on the road as they say. and don't reply "not if I see u first"..thats so passee...dont think i spelt that rite ..wheres that effing dictionary gone again! ups i snorted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Especially the people who do this segment, all 2500+ of them..absolute madness..

http://www.strava.com/segments/4782016?filter=overall

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Qiute rite..I should have said "catatonic" instead. I'll do my best not to sniff u next time u pass..I'll be the one with a dictionary stuck up my nostrils...even weirder. See u on the road as they say. and don't reply "not if I see u first"..thats so passee...dont think i spelt that rite ..wheres that effing dictionary gone again! ups i snorted!!

*wrong answer sound from catchphrase *Wrong again my friend. You can't catatonically cycle. You can lie down though. I'm sure a whip round for sweaty Lycra can be done so you've something to sniff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

got out this morning weather was fine for most part bit chilly at featherbeds mind you.

73km with nearly 1,100m of climbing so plenty of it done, felt ok so progressing well after long winter off the bike 3-4 good weeks done now.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140597386

gadetra wrote: »
    *wrong answer sound from catchphrase *Wrong again my friend. You can't catatonically cycle. You can lie down though. I'm sure a whip round for sweaty Lycra can be done so you've something to sniff :P
    A moderator will be along soon to say we are ever so slightly going off topic,,,but believe me when u see me ride my bike u will come to the conclusion that yes it is possible to cyle at a catatonic pace. I guess I have some latent fetish for that lycra aroma,( *wrong answer sound from catchphrase *),,that mental image of a whip around has put me off my cocoa.now tell me what I did'nt write proper there my cycle friend..eh think the EPO heads are not liking this so I'm off to the leaba.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Good day out there this morning. 40km around Eniskerry/Glencullen etc. Constantly improving my time. 1 km/h faster than monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

First time going from Dublin city centre to Enniskerry and home via Military Road to Lucan. I'm used to good road conditions commuting from Lucan to Dublin and wasn't ready for the "quality" of the roads. The rough surface really takes its toll on my legs. The climbing was tough but I got through it.

Punctured 5k from home. 2nd puncture in 200k on 23mm Gatorskins. Going to change to something else as soon as I can.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140790672

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Work has curtailed my commuting this week so decided to get out before work this week.
    Nice easy spin up Cruagh to the viewing point and back. Lovely morning for it. Must get up earlier tomorrow and go further.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Work has curtailed my commuting this week so decided to get out before work this week.
    Nice easy spin up Cruagh to the viewing point and back. Lovely morning for it. Must get up earlier tomorrow and go further.

What time do you leave at?>

godtabh wrote: »
    What time do you leave at?>
    Roughly around 7.20ish which was actually later then I hoped to hit the road. Must try to be out by 7 tomorrow.

Roughly around 7.20ish which was actually later then I hoped to hit the road. Must try to be out by 7 tomorrow.

Ah I thought you were going early

Lol yeah I think your definition of early differs slightly to mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Páid wrote: »

2nd puncture in 200k on 23mm Gatorskins. Going to change to something else as soon as I can.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140790672
    Thats unusual for gatorskins.

Handy spin that!

Lol yeah I think your definition of early differs slightly to mine.

Was gona suggest a spin out that way but my early starts aren't to everyone's taste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Had to stop to give first aid to another cyclist who was involved in a collision an Annesley Bridge.I didn't hang around once the ambulance came as there were plenty of people there and I hadn't witnessed the incident. Anyhow hope they feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Repeated my spin of last Sunday...

Limerick City Centre out to Bunratty and back(30ish km)...Did it in 56 minutes 47 seconds @32.47km/hr

Limerick City Centre out to Bunratty and back(30ish km)...Did it in 56 minutes 47 seconds @32.47km/hr ...that was an increase of 3.4km/hr on my last spin...Happy out with it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭secman

Limerick City Centre out to Bunratty and back(30ish km)...Did it in 56 minutes 47 seconds @32.47km/hr ...that was an increase of 3.4km/hr on my last spin...Happy out with it:D

Soooooooo happy you told us twice !

secman wrote: »
    Soooooooo happy you told us twice !

Sorry my internet is acting the gowl:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Out today for a final training spin before the REK 400 on 31st May. Did the first 70k and the final 70k with a 40k round trip to the start. Feck! I didn't know it was that lumpy! Multiple ramps out of Enniskerry up old long hill, up by Ballinastoe to Laragh, on over Slieve Elliot, and then another nasty hill to Aughrim. Turned for Woodenbridge there and found myself voluntarily turning uphill! Lovely day for it.

180k door to door in 9h30 rolling with a 99kph* max.

*May have been a 61kph max...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

^^^ Good luck with that! I hope to be around for the REK, if not I'll ride it as a permanent sometime over the summer. I just checked the elevation for the REK and it's 4800m for the 400km. That's pretty lumpy by anyone's standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Did 60 mile loop from killorglin over Ballaghbeama to MollsGap killarney beaufort back road to Killorglin this evening, stunning scenery and weather, no arm warmers or shoe covers for first time. My gel shorts were in the wash so used foam ones, walking like John Wayne as a result but worth it. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement