Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Frustrating day all round yesterday. 114k done but 7 punctures in a group of 13 meant is was stop/start for most of the day. Still, lovely weather for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Maynooth - Straffan - Kill - Naas - Hill of Allen - Clane - Knocknanally - Maynooth

104km and my first century ever! Halfway through the day deteriorated to a heap of ****e. Kept going.. forced myself not to turn off for home at Kilcock and suffered onwards to tack on a few more Kms to push it over the line.

Tailed a guy on the way home from Kilcock for about a km, he was flying at about 38-40kmph tried to stay on his wheel for as long as I could even though the legs were shattered.

http://www.strava.com/activities/142557374

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

ford2600 wrote: »
    Nice country for a tourist. Did a bit of cycling there 4 yrs ago.
    Enjoy the wildlife.
    Did you climb kilmanjaro

Hey Ford, Nah climbed it back in 2008 - they're charging around $1200 to climb it now

I figure it will be just as "nice" (or horrible) experience cycling across the Ethiopian Highlands next month - why bother paying to climb something slightly higher :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

58.4km on Saturday with 991m of climbing. Went out with one of the lads from work. I still don't really know the area. Took it handy and much slower than I would have liked but was a nice chat. Some of the climbs were crazy steep. Sections at 25% in some places. http://www.strava.com/activities/142135266

Quick 45km today with 850m of climbing. Pushed on a bit harder than usual. Really considering picking up a 28 on the back for some of these climbs. Just finding myself grind more than I would like on sections higher than 17%. http://www.strava.com/activities/142562443

One small question. On the Saturday ride on the Underbarrow climb (CAT 3) there are two sections. I've a time of 15 odd minutes on the longer section and a time of 26 odd minutes on the shorter section. They're both of the same climb. Any ideas as to why this might have happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Was in two mind this morning - that rain looked like a crap fest heading for us. After a few glasses if wine at a communion yesterday I was feelin a bit groggy.

Anyway got on the bike and headed to rathoath for the club spin - only 5 if us and all agreed on a bit of a shorter 'burn'.

Arrived home 2:43 later after covering 80km, average just shy of 30 km/hr. Happy with that. And missed the rain :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Swift 55min/ 30 km round trip from wexford to rosslare strand,..... Free up the legs after a heavy squat session yesterday..... Cant best s bit of rain to keep you awake!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd night away planned with Mrs crosstownk in Fermanagh yesterday. I decided to cycle some of the way. I went from home (South Dublin) to Carnaross (Meath) where I met her and put the bike in the boot. I was ever so slightly sunburnt but at least the tan lines have started nicely :pac: I did just over 80km at 28 km/h - solo. I was hoping to do a few km today on the way back but the weather was sh1t so I drove back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

100k cycle today. Ennis - Kilmaley - Connolly - The Hand (Mount Callan) - Inagh Cross - Inagh - Ennis - Clarecastle - Newmarket On Fergus - Ballygireen - Clarecastle - Rockmount - Ennis.

Averaged just under 25kph

Nearly 700ft of climbing overall.

Tour de Conamara next week!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I'm doing the Tour De Conamara next week too.

Did my first proper 100k yesterday with 476m climbing @23kph average.

http://www.strava.com/activities/142619871

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Went out for a 44km one after work...It was fun especially getting caught in a thunder and lightening storm :eek:

Got a couple of "climbs" in too, legs will probably feel rough tomorrow:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd night away planned with Mrs crosstownk in Fermanagh yesterday. I decided to cycle some of the way. I went from home (South Dublin) to Carnaross (Meath) where I met her and put the bike in the boot. I was ever so slightly sunburnt but at least the tan lines have started nicely :pac: I did just over 80km at 28 km/h - solo. I was hoping to do a few km today on the way back but the weather was sh1t so I drove back to Dublin.

Saw that on Strava. Nice spin tbh! Kind of stuff I hope to do in the future :)

Back on the bike today after the guts of two weeks off. Was kind of nervous tbh.

Turns out I did some real damage to my ribs a few weeks ago.

Few things I picked up on the way....

Don't take serious pain killers unless a hospital give them to you.

There is a reason why they give warnings with some "over the counter" pain killers ala "codine" You won't be addicted but you will feel like utter sh1te without them, if you take them for long enough.... but you will only know that with hindsight. :o

I never knew I coughed so much, being a smoker. Each cough was like a stab in the ribs/chest :(

Anyways... 20'ish done this morning and 20'ish home.

Good to be back on the bike and I passed the 3000km mark for the year so far.

w00T!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Saw that on Strava. Nice spin tbh! Kind of stuff I hope to do in the future :)

Back on the bike today after the guts of two weeks off. Turns out I did some real damage to my ribs a few weeks ago.

Few things I picked up on the way....

Don't take serious pain killers unless a hospital give them to you.

There is a reason why they give warnings with some "over the counter" pain killers ala "codine" You won't be addicted but you will feel like utter sh1te without them, if you take them for long enough.... but you will only know that with hindsight. :o

I never knew I coughed so much, being a smoker. Each cough was like a stab in the ribs/chest :(

Anyways... 20'ish done this morning and 20'ish home.

Good to be back on the bike and I passed the 3000km mark for the year so far.

w00T!

Glad to hear you're back on the bike. Give me shout for spin sometime soon.

Congrats on the 3,000kms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I did about 25k doing work calls today on Commutourer.

Apart from my previously mentioned (in the offtopic thread) unpleasant encounter with a state official I was all go, but no more smartphone so no idea what my average speeds were like.

Hit 40 a few times on the way back from Tallaght. Teased 30 for a good chunk of the way out but traffic generally brings my average speeds down to about 18kph. So I'd guess it was about that.

Edit: Also, I was hauling a toolkit in my pannier and Commutourer has a cheap MTB drivetrain married to a Hybrid frame and wheels with drops and bar end shifters...the defence rests.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

5k into my commute today, I was unlucky enough to re-enact the dan Martin ,man hole slip .
    Lucky enough cars behind me swerved around me,managed to cycle the remaining 7k one handed into work
    After a visit to vhi swift care I now have a broken arm/elbow in two places
    Hopefully recovered so I can still do my first sportive(ring of Kerry) in a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ouch! bad luck. Get well soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

lennymc wrote: »
    ouch! bad luck. Get well soon.

+1. Lucky man the driver was on the ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

jober wrote: »
    ,managed to cycle the remaining 7k one handed into work
    After a visit to vhi swift care I now have a broken arm/elbow in two places

You cycled 7 km with a broken arm?? Respect!
    When's the book out?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

outfox wrote: »
    You cycled 7 km with a broken arm?? Respect!
    When's the book out?

As soon as my auto graph arm is back in action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Did my longest spin to date on Saturday
    Stocking lane - Sally Gap - Roundwood rd - Enniskerry - Stocking lane
    total 59km, lovely weather (the week before it was horrible) but a deceptive wind
    was in evidence. Stunning scenery towards Roundwood which made the climb
    worthwhile. All this on my doorstep for years gone unexplored.
    Trying to remedy the situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Hot and windy and hilly in Lanzarote. Will post more details when I get home on Friday. Great cycling here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Maintenance spin.
    Drogheda-Duleek-Kentstown-Kilmoon-Duleek-Julianstown-Drogheda.
    About 55k.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Have to say I love long distance cycling in heavy rain as long as it's warm. Invigorating to say the least !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

italodisco wrote: »
    Have to say I love long distance cycling in heavy rain as long as it's warm. Invigorating to say the least !

Thats what i was like last night...until i woke this morning with the beginnings of a flu/cold...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne-Maynooth-Lucan-Dunboyne between the showers. Still not shifting from 105kg so must be the drink and takeaways....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I do a regular run from dollymount up around howth and back about twice a week. When I started cycling in February it took my about 1 hour 15 minutes to do and I've slowly got it down to an average of 1 hour and 5 minutes but today I did it in 55 minutes and my average speed including climbing howth over 19km today was 20.6kph also moved a few hundred places on the strava rankings. P.s I'm cycling a €150 raleigh mountain bike with front suspension:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

iamtony wrote: »
    I do a regular run from dollymount up around howth and back about twice a week. When I started cycling in February it took my about 1 hour 15 minutes to do and I've slowly got it down to an average of 1 hour and 5 minutes but today I did it in 55 minutes and my average speed including climbing howth over 19km today was 20.6kph also moved a few hundred places on the strava rankings. P.s I'm cycling a €150 raleigh mountain bike with front suspension:-)

Jesus if you ever get your hands on a road bike you'd be back before you leave.

Seriously though, do consider getting one, you will never look back. Do you notice your fitness improving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

not yet wrote: »
    Jesus if you ever get your hands on a road bike you'd be back before you leave.

Seriously though, do consider getting one, you will never look back. Do you notice your fitness improving...
    yes fitness is better than it's ever been. Although I really need to give up my 20 a day smoking habit.
    It started to improve dramatically when I started eating healthy and loosing weight since the 31st of March I've gone from 91.2kg to 84kg and it's making a huge difference so yes you do need to give up the takeaways or limit them to 1 per week like I do(try to do) and the same with the beer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

40km detour to work via Howth. Met two (!) one-armed cyclists. Crashed into kerb on the very summit (!) like a total numptie.

29.3kmh average. One bloody leg and road rash on the side.

Great start of the day, isn't it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

extended commute this morning 33km and just found my average speed on strava (I know, how on earth..!)
    It read 25.1km/h. Maybe it's me but I always 'feel' faster than that!
    Truth hurts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Jabel wrote: »
    Maybe it's me but I always 'feel' faster than that!

Same with us all I'm afraid. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement