Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jabel wrote: »
    extended commute this morning 33km and just found my average speed on strava (I know, how on earth..!)
    It read 25.1km/h. Maybe it's me but I always 'feel' faster than that!
    Truth hurts

Well if the cycle didnt hurt the truth usual does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

godtabh wrote: »
    Well if the cycle didnt hurt the truth usual does

then again...who really trusts iphones these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

iamtony wrote: »
    yes fitness is better than it's ever been. Although I really need to give up my 20 a day smoking habit.
    It started to improve dramatically when I started eating healthy and loosing weight since the 31st of March I've gone from 91.2kg to 84kg and it's making a huge difference so yes you do need to give up the takeaways or limit them to 1 per week like I do(try to do) and the same with the beer!
    Switch to the e-cigs, you'll have quit smoking before you finish your first bottle of liquid. Dont buy the crap they sell behind the counter or outside Tesco, get a proper starter kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Thargor wrote: »
    Switch to the e-cigs, you'll have quit smoking before you finish your first bottle of liquid. Dont buy the crap they sell behind the counter or outside Tesco, get a proper starter kit.
    Thanks I did switch to them last year, the proper ones and it was great but I got lazy about keeping stock of good liquid and spare batteries and then just started smoking again. I will go back to them soon(or so I keep telling myself) although I personally don't think it qualifies as giving up smoking it's too similar and if they banned there use most would go straight back to real smokes. But that's for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah it is though, look at the list of thousands of chemicals, hundreds of them carcinogens and hundreds more never investigated fully that go into a drag of a cig, compared to a puff of ethylene glycol, nicotine and flavoring from an ecig. Eliminating the tar and formaldehyde from clogging up the alveoli in your lungs will make you a better cyclist anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

iamtony wrote: »
    Thanks I did switch to them last year, the proper ones and it was great but I got lazy about keeping stock of good liquid and spare batteries and then just started smoking again. I will go back to them soon(or so I keep telling myself) although I personally don't think it qualifies as giving up smoking it's too similar and if they banned there use most would go straight back to real smokes. But that's for another thread.

I gave up two years ago after 34years. Still trying to lose the 10kg I put on put would rather be a porky then a smoker. I find I can do 40k no bother,couldn't say that when I smoked.

not yet wrote: »
    I gave up two years ago after 34years. Still trying to lose the 10kg I put on put would rather be a porky then a smoker. I find I can do 40k no bother,couldn't say that when I smoked.
    i cycle about 40k once a week and always take in howth for the hills on the cycle it's only lately as I've started to pick up the pace I'm noticing I can't take in oxegen quick enough and it's a good incentive to quit.
    Congrats on giving up by the way It's a great achievement only us smokers can understand.

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah it is though, look at the list of thousands of chemicals, hundreds of them carcinogens and hundreds more never investigated fully that go into a drag of a cig, compared to a puff of ethylene glycol, nicotine and flavoring from an ecig. Eliminating the tar and formaldehyde from clogging up the alveoli in your lungs will make you a better cyclist anyway.
    yeah your right I think I'll get one this week.
    On the down side I brought someone to the doctor a few weeks ago(I drive a taxi) and he had blood poisoning from using ecigs. Now the second he got in the car I know he was using ecigs from the smell off him so he must of used it a lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short spin up Cruagh to Johnnie Foxes and back over lunch. Glorious. May try to sneak back out again after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Legs shredded after last nights spin - check
    50k spin - check
    400m climbing - check
    Cr*p scared out of me by stealth Jack Russell mutt - check
    Loads of cyclists ascending while I descended - check

Regrets - none

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

quick little 11.6km sprint around celbridge/maynooth, got a kom on a segment ive been chipping away at for months. Finally got it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne into town, cup of tea with my old man and back to Dunboyne..

Never ceases to amaze me how hard it is to catch someone who looks like they are just doodling along, Then again these guys look lean and mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Finished exams today, went out for a quick 50km (ok 48km if we are being precise)! Managed to get a KOM..

..by 2 seconds..

..off Janos Kohler..

..the downhill road rage dude..

163636_136612776400413_395181_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

111k monster with a lunch stop in Laragh in prep for the Mick Byrne on Sunday. looking good Wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

On the way home today, towards Tallaght, I came across an ambulance and a couple of cars pulled in alongside the R136 (Lucan to Tallaght road) beside Corkagh park, in the bus lane.

A cyclist looked like he had a bad fall/accident. He was on his feet though but had head bandages akin to a mummy on his noggin.

Hope he is OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Lovely evening for a cycle.
    From Sallins out to Kill, Castlewarden ,Ardclough and back down the canal towpath into Sallins. Towpath is reasonably dry, small bit of muck, dropped a few canoeists on the way.
    Swallowed many flys, spat out a bee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did a handy 40km from home to Manor Kilbride and back. I managed 28.2km/h for the spin which I'm happy with. My average speeds have been increasing lately which I'm taking as a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I've managed to get my average up to 25/26avg which I was really happy wit until I see Crosstownk had a handy spin at 28k/h. Aggghhh, I'll never get there. My 26k/p avg is me going flat out in heart attack zone - far from a handy spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Witnessed someone snap their bottom bracket axle on some no name town bike today while pulling away from a green light. After he saved himself from falling off his bike, he looked back at me, as if I was the cause of his predicament,then he looked down and noticed the actual problem. While trying not to laugh, I calmly told him his left crank arm had shot under the car beside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Was cycling from Glencree over to Military Road this morning when a fella passed me. He was dressed head to toe in Cervelo gear and had a matching bike. He also had a back up car following him. It wasn't a team car or anything like that. It looked like his Mother was following him in the family car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

Nice night last night, drank the fair proportion of a bottle of red wine last night (maybe one and a half bottles!). Sore this morning, empty legs like bugger, and a head wind all the way in :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Holidays in Italy :)
    44km and 700m climb from Alassio to Testico, Andora (not the country) and back to Alassio in beautiful weather and quiet rural roads.
    Life is good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Not quite today's spin but this weeks spin.

Tue am: Train Dublin -> Ballina with bike
    Tue: Ballina -> Belmullet via North Mayo Coast - 117km, 1,100m
    Wed: Belmullet -> Westport via Achill - 155kms, 1,000m
    Thurs: Westport -> Carna via Lousiburgh & Clifden - 144km, 1,200m
    Fri: Carna -> Galway via Coast Roads - 101kms, 700m
    Fri pm: Train Galway -> Dublin

Overall: 517km and 4,000m (ish)

Low point: Brutal Northerly gale from Roundstone to Cashel on R341. Pedaling squares :-(

High Point: 2nd half of the R335 from Louisburgh to Leenaun - simply stunning scenery.
    2nd High Point: Lunchtime Mussels & dirty pint in Bards Den Letterfrack

Today is a couch day.

83km around Dublin. Today was bit cooler than previous days. I went from home out to Blackrock - East Link - lap of Howth - Malahide - the long way around Dublin Airport - City Centre and back home. My average speed suffered (24kmh) due to the traffic but still it was good spin. I'd usually head into Wicklow but the wind was NE-ish today so I decided Howth was the better option. Theres nothing worse than turning for home and having to cope with a head wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Decided I needed to take it up a notch today. Marmotte is creeping up fast!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/144977991

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

cheerspal wrote: »

I'm feeling dizzy just looking at that.

140k myself today. Dublin - N81 to Hollywood - Wicklow Gap - Rathdrum - Kilbride - N11 - Eniskerry - Dublin

Longest of the year. Surprisingly nasty day for it. Cold, few showers, bit of a headwind coming home. Probably should have been wearing more winter wear.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Probably should have been wearing more winter wear.
    I wore winter kit today. I was a bit more sweaty than usual but I wasn't cold. I always take the approach of being a bit too warm rather than too cold.

Gear was soaked in sweat when I got home. The washing machine has that sorted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm feeling dizzy just looking at that.

140k myself today. Dublin - N81 to Hollywood - Wicklow Gap - Rathdrum - Kilbride - N11 - Eniskerry - Dublin

Longest of the year. Surprisingly nasty day for it. Cold, few showers, bit of a headwind coming home. Probably should have been wearing more winter wear.

No time to be heading out to Wicklow myself so just have to use what's available. At least Howth has some decent hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

cheerspal wrote: »

And heres me thinking i was doing pretty well with 5 ascents...

wqwshj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

How do some of ye cycle so many Km's :eek:

I did an 18km cycle today around bog roads :o

I wan't to cycle 30km three times a week in one go soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement