Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

crosstownk wrote: »
    I did a handy 40km from home to Manor Kilbride and back. I managed 28.2km/h for the spin which I'm happy with. My average speeds have been increasing lately which I'm taking as a good sign.
    Beefcake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

How do some of ye cycle so many Km's :eek:

I did an 18km cycle today around bog roads :o

I wan't to cycle 30km three times a week in one go soon.

Just build it up gradually. 15km then 20km three times a week. Keep at it and your fitness will come. If I stopped for a month I would be back to square one. That's the **** thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

140km. Savage wind. Tour De Connemara. Delighted with myself and enjoying a well earned pint in Clifden!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

51km taking in a hill I struggled with a few weeks back and finally tackling Lough an Leagh mountain. It's not much of a mountain to be fair it's a 3km pull up the mountain itself. The road approaching it is mostly uphill too so overall it was an 8km test of the legs.

It went well enough for me considering I haven't been on the bike in two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Got my bike a year ago next week. It's a giant Roam hybrid. Did my first 100 today. Averaged 24.5 km/h.
    I'm a bit fücked but happy to have done it.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/145332506

I also convinced the missus that I need a new bike and not a cheap one either. Double success :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Daroxtar wrote: »

I also convinced the missus that I need a new bike and not a cheap one either. Double success :)

I can't even convince mine I need a second pair of cycling shorts :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

15.000k without a puncture then 2 in the 1 day only had 1 tube so had to patch the 2th puncture with 3m then the tire bulged @ the valve so had to limp home 40k with a pregnant tire .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Decided to join the DFB ILFA charity spin today that was described as an easy 100km :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

How do some of ye cycle so many Km's :eek:
    I used to think the same. Then started adding 5/10k every week and became one of the "ye".

I find it requires a little fitness to start, a lot of ability to entertain yourself on your bike for long periods, and an understanding family when you go missing for 5hrs on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Got my bike a year ago next week. It's a giant Roam hybrid. Did my first 100 today. Averaged 24.5 km/h.
    I'm a bit fücked but happy to have done it.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/145332506

Good spin for a hybrid. Will be no stopping you when you get a roadie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Now I remember why I skipped the Mick Byrne 160 for the last few years and did the 100 instead. There are some seriously lumpy bits south of Laragh (Macreddin and Balinderry?) just when you think lunch is near. Still there aren't many Spotifs that offer real coffee and creamed rice cones.
    Great day, really well organised by Sorrento and we avoided the worst of the showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Did the Mick Byrne 200 yesterday with my brother. He was pretty much suffering from the offset. Stuck with him the whole way and while it was a lot slower than I would have liked (20km/h) I would have felt bad leaving him. Fairly handy spin all in all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Went up to Clogherhead yesterday, managing to get lost in Drogheda on the way :o.

Flew back south with that light northerly behind me for 115km in 03:55 and home just in time for the sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Did the Mick Byrne 200 yesterday with my brother. He was pretty much suffering from the offset. Stuck with him the whole way and while it was a lot slower than I would have liked (20km/h) I would have felt bad leaving him. Fairly handy spin all in all.

Finishing MB is a big accomplishment on its own - well done for both of you! And nevermind the speed, its not what really matters :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hit a dog that jumped in front of me outside Shanaglagh (sp?) park even though I was barely moving, finding my new cleats extremely dangerous to be honest, its just too hard to get out of them when something unexpected happens and its impossible to get out of them when you're going up a big hill and start to run out of steam, third time in 3 days Ive hit the ground on my left shoulder and its sore now.

Thargor wrote: »
    Hit a dog that jumped in front of me outside Shanaglagh (sp?) park even though I was barely moving, finding my new cleats extremely dangerous to be honest, its just too hard to get out of them when something unexpected happens and its impossible to get out of them when you're going up a big hill and start to run out of steam, third time in 3 days Ive hit the ground on my left shoulder and its sore now.

Have you set the tension on the pedal to the lowest? If not its a little screw that needs to he turned. You'll get used to them.
    On hills the cleats are a big advantage if used right. You can pull the pedals up rather than push down and the right gear helps too

It hurt. It hurt a lot after yesterday's climbing so much I rolled most of the way in to work.
    Going home will be fun and needs a few glasses of MTFU juice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I had similar experiences, I now use shimano extra light sl pedals and they are much better for me.

I find I have to twist my heel towards the bike instead of away as it says in the instructions, its not possible to twist your heel away far enough to pop them out, it requires a twist between 45 and 90 degrees, but then twisting it towards the bike is dangerous because depending on where you are in the pedal stroke you can hit a bracket or tube and be stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I find I have to twist my heel towards the bike instead of away as it says in the instructions, its not possible to twist your heel away far enough to pop them out, it requires a twist between 45 and 90 degrees, but then twisting it towards the bike is dangerous because depending on where you are in the pedal stroke you can hit a bracket or tube and be stuck.

Not wanting to sound smart but are you sure the pedals are on the right way...i.e left on left etc.

You should always clip out away from the bike..

• Advertisement

First thing I checked, really annoying because sometimes they're perfect and other times they're a nightmare, anyway not the thread for it Ill make a dedicated thread if I cant sort it this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

check to make sure the cleats are on tight, and not moving on the base of the shoe as you rotate you foot out of the pedal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Did the Tour de Connemara on Saturday. 140k in 5h 10. loads of headwind which was crap but met Liam from Woodelo bikes - lovely guy and a very fast bike! left me for dust.

Going to try tightening everything up again and a blob of chain lube on the mechanism tonight and see, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Did the Tour de Connemara on Saturday. 140k in 5h 10. loads of headwind which was crap but met Liam from Woodelo bikes - lovely guy and a very fast bike! left me for dust.

It's not the bike thats fast..

You could put me on a 5k carbon dura ace race bike and I'd struggle to keep up with some guys on a MTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

stecleary wrote: »
    Have you set the tension on the pedal to the lowest? If not its a little screw that needs to he turned. You'll get used to them.
    On hills the cleats are a big advantage if used right. You can pull the pedals up rather than push down and the right gear helps too

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/05/efficiency-of-pedal-stroke-ankling/

aka Scavenging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

blobbie wrote: »

Broken link?

P.S. Must be something with my network. Works fine on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Broken link?

Seems to work fine for me but here is a tinyulr http://tinyurl.com/l8wst75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Awesome morning in Cork for the spin to work! Wish I could have gone for a longer spin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

First spin on new bike [well second but first since getting everything setup to my liking]
    Bike is a huge step up from my halfords carrera tank.

Monasterevin,Kildare,Newbridge,Milltown,Hill of Allen,Boston Hill,Rathangan,Bracknagh,Portarlington and home to Monasterevin.

Thoroughly enjoyed that, weather and new machine helped :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/146142395

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement