Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

More hill repeats in Howth in prep for Wicklow 200 and Marmotte

http://www.strava.com/activities/146143952

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Nice. I was never into hill repeats (booo-ring!) but will do a single loop of Howth today after work, as my legs think they're still on Mick Byrne 200 ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Small bit of climbing and then went down Stocking lane but didn't beat the KOM :(

Stupid boy racer decided to sit on my tail the whole way down, even at speeds of 70km/h..

http://www.strava.com/segments/3489728?filter=overall

Stupid boy racer decided to sit on my tail the whole way down

He wasn't posing any risk to you, was he?

Alek wrote: »
    He wasn't posing any risk to you, was he?

If I had come off he would have run me over.

• Advertisement

If you'd come off at 70kph it wouldn't make a difference :p

[edit] wait, wait, was he in a car? :eek:

If you'd come off at 70kph it wouldn't make a difference :p

[edit] wait, wait, was he in a car? :eek:

There are boy racer cyclists??? :pac:

Yes in a car, and it's 60km/h speed limit if I'm not mistaken

Ooops, sorry, English is my 2nd language... :o And I don't really have much in common with cars - haven't picked up this term until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Zyzz wrote: »
    There are boy racer cyclists??? :pac:
    There are. I'm one.

I'm just really bad at it. :o

Ooops, sorry, English is my 2nd language... :o And I don't really have much in common with cars - haven't picked up this term until now.

No worries. But yes it was a car that was tailing me the whole way down, I'd have no problem with a bike on my tail! :)
    No Pants wrote: »
    There are. I'm one.

I'm just really bad at it. :o

Interesting.

As bikes don't have exhaust pipes do you just make really loud noises with your mouth? ..or arse.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Zyzz wrote: »
    As bikes don't have exhaust pipes do you just make really loud noises with your mouth? ..or arse.. :pac:

That's why he's bad at it.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Did 51.7k today still on my €150 mtb furthest I've ever done. Average speed 21.7kph and I averaged 20.5kph on the loop of howth which was 40k into my cycle and I still got a personal record.

How much of a gain could I realistically expect by upgrading the bike to a road bike? And would it make the cycle easier as well as faster?
    I'm 83.5kg down from 91.2kg since march if that matters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

iamtony wrote: »
    How much of a gain could I realistically expect by upgrading the bike to a road bike? And would it make the cycle easier as well as faster?
    I'm 83.5kg down from 91.2kg since march if that matters?
    The most important piece of the equation is you. You already getting lighter and fitter. However, a road bike will be more fun and more efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Was it just cycling that got that weight down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

469m assenting over 26k in 1h 4mins happy enough

Thargor wrote: »
    Was it just cycling that got that weight down?
    No cycling plus diet change. I started cycling with a guy a few stone lighter(I was over 14 stone he was under 11) and I'm now quite a bit quicker than him on the hills and everything. A month ago he left me for dust on the hills.

No Pants wrote: »
    The most important piece of the equation is you. You already getting lighter and fitter. However, a road bike will be more fun and more efficient.
    Thanks. The good thing about the mtb is when people pass you, you've got a good excuse:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

40k out to Craughwell and back from Galway city, lovely evening for it. Only getting into cycling properly for fitness the last few weeks, this evening's spin was 25km/h, fastest yet, and average HR was lower too. Feels great to be improving and can really feel the benefits already, dropped 4-5kg and the belt needs a new hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

115km in five hours today.

No more Smritphun so no Strava just my Cateye Velo...whatever the cheapest wireless one is.

Cruagh Road, Viewpoint, Featherbeds, Sally Gap, Laragh, Wicklow gap, where I died on the climb (Lack of climbing fitness, overdressed, forgot to have lunch!) where I was passed by none other than Boards 410 celebrity at large Dirk Voodoo.

After rudely tagging myself on for the rest of the route, I struggled on an empty tank (Despite me now owing Dirk Voodoo an energy bar) and when the other lads went over the M50 Roundabout at Spawell, I decided I didn't trust my legs up there so took the shameful Commuter underpass of...well shame.

Limped home the rest of the way to Dublin 8 without incident. Avg speed 22.7km/h :( max speed 59.2 km.h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

51km from home to Manor Kilbride - Blessington and back at 28km/h. Got a PR up the Embankment Climb (-30 secs). I also swallowed more flies than before but Strava doesn't count that :pac:

Great weather for cycling today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Did 3 laps of howth today (two sutton side and one town side), and three climbs from the church side just for good measure.

Still a bit tired after doing a route to Glendalough and back through Enniskerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Off the bike for 5 days and glad to get back out tonight. Late home from work so only got 42k in but with a couple of nice sharp climbs. Ave was 27kph+ which I always think is ok when I'm on my own. Thought I would suffer after the lay off but felt ok. Nice evening helped. Big spin coming at the weekend so bike goes in for a once over tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Managed to get 46 cups including 38 PR's on a ride from Rush to the Sally Gap and back again yesterday evening. Weather was perfect. I think it's the first time I didn't have wind or rain on high ground. (A insect went into my eye on the descent of Stocking Lane which was a bit of a distraction!)

111kms in 4hrs 12 mins with 1172m climbing averaging 26.6km/h.

http://www.strava.com/activities/146322205

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

[..]
    And would it make the cycle easier as well as faster?
    [..]

‘Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster’ – Greg Lemond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

...when the other lads went over the M50 Roundabout at Spawell, I decided I didn't trust my legs up there so took the shameful Commuter underpass of...well shame.
    That underpass has an awful lot of glass on it. Got a puncture on it once, had to walk to Hollinsworth in Templeogue, where the guy behind the counter told me most of his puncture repair business is due to that underpass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Have only been cycling on the commute for the last few weeks, but the way home yesterday evening felt like starting so well, only for me to notice a drag and a very wobbly rear wheel about 1km from home. Even with the brakes fully opened it was rubbing against both sides! Cursory inspection on the roadside didn't reveal a cause, so decided to limp the last km or so home very slowly

Lo and behold when I get home and get the wheel off, I find this (which scares me a bit to have cycled on it at all to get home!):

Ka3pL87l.jpg

So that's me off the bike until I can get a replacement wheel (or replacement bike, as is usually the preferred option in these parts :pac:)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    That underpass has an awful lot of glass on it. Got a puncture on it once, had to walk to Hollinsworth in Templeogue, where the guy behind the counter told me most of his puncture repair business is due to that underpass.

I know it well from my time living in the 'fornia.

However on empty legs it was the lesser of two evils.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    ‘Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster’ – Greg Lemond.
    Damn it!

Ah no in fairness from when I started climbing has become a hell of a lot easier. As I used to climb howth I always had a constant battle with myself not to give up and turn around but now I enjoy it funny enough.

Damn it!

Ah no in fairness from when I started climbing has become a hell of a lot easier. As I used to climb howth I always had a constant battle with myself not to give up and turn around but now I enjoy it funny enough.

The fun increase is good for morale which is the next best thing to not having to climb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Managed to get 46 cups including 38 PR's on a ride from Rush to the Sally Gap and back again yesterday evening. Weather was perfect. I think it's the first time I didn't have wind or rain on high ground. (A insect went into my eye on the descent of Stocking Lane which was a bit of a distraction!)

111kms in 4hrs 12 mins with 1172m climbing averaging 26.6km/h.

http://www.strava.com/activities/146322205

Excellent pace considering the climbs involved and the city centre traffic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement