Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

My commute home today was plagued by loose spokes on my rear wheel.

*ping* *ping* *ping*

It's pretty much true for now but that won't last!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

17.6km cycle around the countryside :) Really is a beautiful country in the sun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Rathgar-Cruagh-military road-Sally gap-uturn to enniskerry-devils elbow-johnie fox's- Dundrum home. 2h45 door to door including stopping to check GPS at top of Devils Elbow as never up that road before. Thanks to the 3 lads who allowed me wheel suck part of the Cruagh-view point climb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gloomy evening but dry here at last after a craptacular bank holiday and Tuesday, out for around an hour after work while my OH made the dinner. Legs finally recovered from the 10km race I ran at the weekend so felt pretty good this evening. Usual route: Archway - Kentish Town - Camden Town - Regent's Park (3 laps) - Camden Road - Holloway and home from there. 22.4km covered, 23.2 km/h average speed if Strava is to be believed. Glad to get it done but I really need to find the time for some much longer spins, going back to Ireland for a long weekend coming up isn't helping matters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

54 km averaged about 27 with the club,fairly flat route but detoured Togo home via a hill. Got soaked but grand warm evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

10 mile TT in Dundalk this evening. My times may not be fast but going by my Garmin I reckon I'm very close to my first round time. If not fast, at least I'm consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Finally made it to work in under 40mins - I've been trying for about three years. Even though the NE wind may have a role to play (about a minute of assist I'd say), I'm pretty happy with myself 20.6km/39:32. If I had gotten a few more green lights I might have broken 39.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finally got around to breaking 30 km after a very lazy Winter where basically everything Id built up last year evaporated, going to increase the distance 3 times a week from now on and buy a turbo if Im still in Ireland next Winter.

Did 32 km Bray to Carrickmines shopping center and back, found a lovely quite road through the countryside that I never knew was there:

https://maps.google.ie/maps?ll=53.225572,-6.131308&spn=0.007656,0.021136&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.225572,-6.131308&panoid=vUExEwhD6o1ZTx_GZCcy2g&cbp=12,349.95,,0,13.43

Coming home the wind was roaring in my ears, looked down at the speedo and see Im doing 50 kph, first time ever, kicking myself for not going straight to SPD :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

50k this morning, strongish headwind for first 20k or so.

Monasterevin,Rathangan,Boston Hill,Hill of Allen,Milltown,Newbridge,Kildare and home.

http://www.strava.com/activities/147227181

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Limerick to nenagh today was horrid going out got puncture, just outside the town, I didn't have a suitable tube in my saddlebag:-( but got a kom on the nenagh to limerick segment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Home from work @ 3pm, looking forward to getting out..

Fecking puncture, fixed it got out for 30k around dunboyne, I said fcuk it and just bought 2 continental gp4000II on line. bye bye punctures (hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

115km in five hours today.

No more Smritphun so no Strava just my Cateye Velo...whatever the cheapest wireless one is.

Cruagh Road, Viewpoint, Featherbeds, Sally Gap, Laragh, Wicklow gap, where I died on the climb (Lack of climbing fitness, overdressed, forgot to have lunch!) where I was passed by none other than Boards 410 celebrity at large Dirk Voodoo.

After rudely tagging myself on for the rest of the route, I struggled on an empty tank (Despite me now owing Dirk Voodoo an energy bar) and when the other lads went over the M50 Roundabout at Spawell, I decided I didn't trust my legs up there so took the shameful Commuter underpass of...well shame.

Limped home the rest of the way to Dublin 8 without incident. Avg speed 22.7km/h :( max speed 59.2 km.h

Good to meet you Rollingscone. Superb day to get out and about. I only passed you because you had stopped to admire the view of the Wicklow Gap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Good to meet you Rollingscone. Superb day to get out and about. I only passed you because you had stopped to admire the view of the Wicklow Gap!

With the insides of my lungs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

40K of commuting about getting things done instead of a dedicated spin. Just coming through a town when the front ring started skipping and almost threw the chain off. I thought it had recovered, when the back wheel locked up, with an awful metallic noise. Just unclipped in time before falling over, and saw my RD mangled and the hangar snapped.
    As I was just beside a bus stop, I locked the bike to a railing and waited for the bus home. I'll go and pick the bike up later today

40K of commuting about getting things done instead of a dedicated spin. Just coming through a town when the front ring started skipping and almost threw the chain off. I thought it had recovered, when the back wheel locked up, with an awful metallic noise. Just unclipped in time before falling over, and saw my RD mangled and the hangar snapped.
    As I was just beside a bus stop, I locked the bike to a railing and waited for the bus home. I'll go and pick the bike up later today

Not cool man. Not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Heading out shortly, does anyone know if the roads around The Naul have re-opened?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

furiousox wrote: »
    Heading out shortly, does anyone know if the roads around The Naul have re-opened?
    The R108 north of the Naul was clear yesterday. The diversion at the crossroads after Snowtown was gone.

(Is there a map anywhere with the names of the climbs anywhere, or is it local club knowledge? Same for Wicklow would be handy.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Feel great. 27 km 1 hr 5 mins (I am a fat beginner!!). Decided to go outwards for 1/2 hr and then turn around but there was a good downhill bit on the way out DOH!! Met some good cyclists when I was out on very fancy carbon-fibre machines who passed me out like I was going backwards! Still got a smile on my face and I went further that anyone sitting on a chair I guess.

Midnight64 wrote: »
    Feel great. 27 km 1 hr 5 mins (I am a fat beginner!!). Decided to go outwards for 1/2 hr and then turn around but there was a good downhill bit on the way out DOH!! Met some good cyclists when I was out on very fancy carbon-fibre machines who passed me out like I was going backwards! Still got a smile on my face and I went further that anyone sitting on a chair I guess.

What more could a man want..26km per hour is good going beginner or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great weather for a spin this morning. N81 - Sally Gap - Enniskerry and back. 85km at 24.6km/h which is not bad considering the climbs. I did more climbing today than I've ever done - 889m.

I've cycled in Wicklow more times than I could ever remember but the scenery never fails to impress me. The views today were spectacular - especially the view over Lough Tay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Lovely day over here in the Lake District. 62.7 km with 1,026m of climbing and an average of 26.6 km/h. http://www.strava.com/activities/147615287

Hoping the weather stays like this for tomorrow at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Beautiful day. 100km, with 1,200m of climbing. Dundrum, Tallaght, Rathcoole, Kilteel, Punchestown, Ballymore, Hollywood, Lackan, Butter Mountain and home via Ballinascorney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

First 100k's spin today with 900 meters of climb in a glorious 29 degrees and sunny, almost didn't quite make the 100 as the garmin rounded up and almost didn't realise I was actually at 99.9. Marbella > Gibralter > estepona, I would not recomend this route if you're ever in the costa del sol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

furiousox wrote: »

I can confirm that the roads around the Naul have re-opened. :)
    Drogheda-Naul-Stamullen-Gormanstown-Julianstown-Laytown-Bettystown-Mornington-Drogheda
    50km warm-up for the Tour of Louth
    Bee-yoot-iful day and a very enjoyable spin.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Yesterdays spin 110km with 2010m climbing. Waiting on a replacement part for one of my wheels so had to use the backup set that has a 9 speed 12-25 cassette on it and Im running a standard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

lovely solo spin today. knocklyon,Brittas,Manor Kilbride,Blessington,kilteel,Rathcoole,Saggart and back home.60k in 2.20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Dublin to Arklow and back for the Sue Ryder event 173.6 km wanted to head up to Howth before going home but missus called that shes gonna scalp me alive if i dont arrive home soon so had to go straight home instead:-)( two punctures during the event first one was a nail went through the rear tire second one was glass (gp4000s tires )
    http://www.strava.com/activities/147723870?fb_action_ids=10152449844213622&fb_action_types=fitness.bikes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B697998986925179%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22fitness.bikes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

zindicato wrote: »
    Dublin to Arklow and back for the Sue Ryder event 173.6 km wanted to head up to Howth before going home but missus called that shes gonna scalp me alive if i dont arrive home soon so had to go straight home instead:-)
    http://www.strava.com/activities/147723870?fb_action_ids=10152449844213622&fb_action_types=fitness.bikes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B697998986925179%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22fitness.bikes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Women eh...!! Can't live with em can't live with em.

Decided to put in some much needed work on my climbing today so did two laps of Cruagj-Viewpoint-Stocking Lane.

First time I was going up to Cruagh a guy breezed past me coming out of Edmonstown, but he had a NY Gran Fondo Jersey so I accepted it was inevitable.
    At the stretch of road before the Cruagh Wood Carpark had about a dozen cows ambling around on it, which I negotiated very cautiously.

Got to the top non stop and went back down Kilakee-Stocking lane, feeling a touch guilty about the number of cars waiting for straight sections to pass me, but also wondered why so many people respond to good weather by driving sealed up cars for 'pleasure'

On my second climb a guy passed me at about the same place, I could have pushed myself to at least keep up but didn't feel like it (because I'm a wimp I suppose) ahead of me I saw a guy in his late 50s maybe, wearing thick tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie out of the saddle working hard to get up the hill, he stopped just when I caught up to him and offered him some water. After a quick chat he decided tocarry on and I stayed behind him afraid he was going to keel over. But after another 50m or so he got off and started walking.

I shouted some advice on getting down the other side (He was nearly at the bridge at this point, no mean feat for someone effectively wearing a sauna) and carried on. For some reason the climb was much easier the second time around.

I got to the viewpoint with no real strain and descended again, about a km before the Hellfire club carpark a guy on a City Hybrid blew past me, I was doing 37 at the time so I'd guess he was touching 50. I can descend reasonably fast now but due to the nature of Kilakee/Stocking lane I keep it below forty for most of the route this guy obviously had no such concerns about entrances or cars coming around bends on the wrong side of the road...or spooking horses as he blazed past a group of four of them at those buildings just past the Hellfire carpark.

No Strava - Comp recorded 37.5km in 1:53, average speed 20kph :(

Edit: I also have the frustrating feeling now of having plenty left in my legs....maybe I should have chased that guy up the hill or done a third lape...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Proper cycle of two halves today.

Waterford to Inistioge was beautiful, the roads were dead quite, met five cars, two tractors and one cyclist coming the other way. People saluted as I passed, there wasn't a bit of wind, I took on steep hills and climbs and got on great. Really enjoyed it. Wouldn't fancy the road surface without 28mm's, but the roads themselves were great. Views were lovely.

Got to Inistioge where I met d'mother and my girlfriend for a small picnic, then back to Waterford via New Ross. I was a bit tired, but everything was great until I crossed the bridge in New Ross. There was plenty of trucks cutting it pretty close, and Google Maps' route was a turn off of the N25 so I went for it... Ended up being the end of me. The turn that I was supposed to take was actually a farmers yard. And mud, so I kept on going along beside the river, until I got taken onto awful single lane roads, potholes, recently cut hedgerows, people acting the bollock, cow sh*t everywhere, cattle on the road and hills. None were too long, but bloody steep. The descents were awful, potholes, blind junctions and gravel - Didn't feel comfortable at all going over 30kph. I started swearing when I saw one of them coming up, but managed it. Got around another bend and saw the next one. Balls. Legs were gone and my head was along with them. Called in for a lift 70-something KM in, cycled to the pickup spot, and drove home in silence. I was proper disappointed because I realised that if I'd stuck to the main road, I'd have been well up for it, and it would have been such an easy journey back to Waterford. Gah.

Still more than worth it for the first 40km though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement