Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Edit: I also have the frustrating feeling now of having plenty left in my legs....maybe I should have chased that guy up the hill or done a third lape...

At least you'll have plenty in the legs for tomorrow then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Sarz91 wrote: »
    At least you'll have plenty in the legs for tomorrow then.

Ah but tomorrow I've to go to Meath, which barely even counts as cycling :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

66k today started with two bursts up captains hill in leixlip, to Lucan, Celbridge, climbed up the hill to athgoe, then on to Rathcoole and climbed up to Slade Valley. Lots of climbing. Tough day but enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

60 km - Malahide to the Man O War and home. Coffee stop at the pub... delicious chocolate gateau and a sneaky Strawberry & Lime Kopperberg :-) Gorgeous day for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Done 152km today. Manorhamilton-Bellavalley gap-Enniskillen-Bundoran- Manorhamilton. My longest spin so far. Strangely I done it at just over 26kph and this I would consider to be a good speed for me if I was doing just 50km. It would appear that between 50km and 100km is when I'm at my strongest. I struggle after the 100km mark. Great day for cycling.
    Oh and I have a wonderous grid pattern of sunburn on my forehead, matching my helmet. I'll have to get a cap until it goes away!!
    http://app.strava.com/activities/147666714

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'll let the profile of this one speak for its self

http://www.strava.com/activities/147746510

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Did you ever get a missed call from your wife and a message saying contact me urgently while out on a spin? Well I got that call today but the thing is my wife is in hospital expecting our fourth baby. Yes it was THAT call:eek: where was I you ask? Oh, about 3-4 km from Sally gap from the blessington side... And struggling up the climb. Many thanks to my cycling partner for the day (we didn't know each other and only met at the Lamb turn) who selflessly lead me up the hills and across the featherbeds and on to the descent near home. A true gent.
    Our little lad was premature and weighed just 5lb 3oz and but both he and mother are doing fine. Some day!
    Oh yeah the cycle ....how many Kms at what speed? Who cares:D

Jabel wrote: »
    Did you ever get a missed call from your wife and a message saying contact me urgently while out on a spin? Well I got that call today but the thing is my wife is in hospital expecting our fourth baby. Yes it was THAT call:eek: where was I you ask? Oh, about 3-4 km from Sally gap from the blessington side... And struggling up the climb. Many thanks to my cycling partner for the day (we didn't know each other and only met at the Lamb turn) who selflessly lead me up the hills and across the featherbeds and on to the descent near home. A true gent.
    Our little lad was premature and weighed just 5lb 3oz and but both he and mother are doing fine. Some day!
    Oh yeah the cycle ....how many Kms at what speed? Who cares:D

Congratulations. You just won the thread. Oh and had a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Great day for it! Cycled over to Clogheen and did the Vee x4. Plenty of cyclists out and about, including a big bunch of Tipp Wheelers.

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    66k today started with two bursts up captains hill in leixlip, to Lucan, Celbridge, climbed up the hill to athgoe, then on to Rathcoole and climbed up to Slade Valley. Lots of climbing. Tough day but enjoyed it.

Captains Hill is some jumpstart!

I can get up Cruagh and Sally's Gap without getting out of the saddle but I had to getting up Captain's hill on my Commuter bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Captains Hill is some jumpstart!

I can get up Cruagh and Sally's Gap without getting out of the saddle but I had to getting up Captain's hill on my Commuter bike.

I don't mind captains hill at all, it's a drag but quite short and easily doable. Athgoe I really struggled on towards the top and by the time we got to Slade I'd already climbed almost 500m and the legs just weren't strong enough to do it well, chap that was with me got to the summit 2 minutes ahead of me. Some descent on the far side of the athgoe hill, pure speed until a muppet in a cage pulled straight out in front of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Great day for it! Cycled over to Clogheen and did the Vee x4. Plenty of cyclists out and about, including a big bunch of Tipp Wheelers.

The vee x 4 :eek:, Chapeau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm not sure if this counts as today's ride or yesterday's. I rode the REK 400, leaving Dundrum, Dublin at 6:00am and riding 400km to get back to Dundrum at 02:55 this morning. It's great and slightly surreal to ride all the way down through Wicklow via Laragh and Shay Elliott,Carnew, Kiltealy, New Ross in Wexford, across to Carrick On Suir and back through the hills of Kilkenny to Wexford, up the coast through Courtown, Arklow, Rathdrum Laragh and Enniskerry.

I started with the faster group but let them go on at the first stop in Carnew as I knew I couldn't hold their pace for the rest of the ride. Sitting in the sunshine, eating a breakfast roll as a second breakfast, it didn't seem like a bad way to spend a Saturday. Rolled out of Carnew and I was on my own for the next 40km until Martin caught me and we rode around together for the rest of the ride.

Drafted a tractor for a couple of km on the road to New Ross, it was great to be doing 40km+ without trying! The scenery was fantastic in the sunshine. I was looking at Mount Leinster and planning when I'd come back to ride it, maybe not with a hundred km in the legs.

Brief water stop in New Ross and then over the rolling ridges to Carrick on Suir. That section was probably the hardest because the hills just kept on coming with little respite. The descent into Piltown was a relief as you see the plain in front of you and know that there aren't any more climbs before Carrick.

Rolled into Carrick at 14:15 to find the fast group had just left. Had lunch in Sean Kelly Square and left at 15:30. It was hot, the Garmin claimed it was 29C, but it was certainly in the low 20's. Despite the application of suncream I have a lovely, patchy farmers tan and my freckles are joining forces.

Made great time on the stretch into Thomastown, did the 20km in 40 minutes. We found some more audaxers in Thomastown enjoying a 99 so we joined them. Our small 4-person peloton rode the next 50km to Enniscorthy where we refuelled at the Aldi and let the fastest man ride on. We were just slowing him down.

Control at Blackwater at 20:30 and on into the setting sun on the way into Arklow. Plenty of bats chasing midges and moths. The Wicklow mountains that were distant shapes gradually gained form and substance. Into Arklow at 23:00 and the most welcome sandwich and cup of tea from the back of a car.

I know the roads home from Arklow and that wasn't much comfort. Sometimes knowing what ahead of you can make it more daunting. Mercifully the darkness hid the worst of the drags. Down Calary Hill and we surprised a hunting cat, who glared at us for disturbing its pursuit. Up the Poggio, never fun, into Enniskerry and the last drags slipped by like beads on a rosary. Down into Dundrum and up the hill to home.

I climbed into my bed at 04:30, 24 hours after I had left it. 413km 4,635m climbing. http://www.strava.com/activities/147993384

TL:DR I rode 400km and lived to tell the tale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

^^^^^^
    Apart from being a great ride, that is a great telling of the story.
    "the last drags slipped by like beads on a rosary" - very thought evoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

I'm not sure if this counts as today's ride or yesterday's. I rode the REK 400, leaving Dundrum, Dublin at 6:00am and riding 400km to get back to Dundrum at 03:45 this morning. It's great and slightly surreal to ride all the way down through Wicklow via Laragh and Shay Elliott,Carnew, Kiltealy, New Ross in Wexford, across to Carrick On Suir and back through the hills of Kilkenny to Wexford, up the coast through Courtown, Arklow, Rathdrum Laragh and Enniskerry.

I started with the faster group but let them go on at the first stop in Carnew as I knew I couldn't hold their pace for the rest of the ride. Sitting in the sunshine, eating a breakfast roll as a second breakfast, it didn't seem like a bad way to spend a Saturday. Rolled out of Carnew and I was on my own for the next 40km until Martin caught me and we rode around together for the rest of the ride.

Drafted a tractor for a couple of km on the road to New Ross, it was great to be doing 40km+ without trying! The scenery was fantastic in the sunshine. I was looking at Mount Leinster and planning when I'd come back to ride it, maybe not with a hundred km in the legs.

Brief water stop in New Ross and then over the rolling ridges to Carrick on Suir. That section was probably the hardest because the hills just kept on coming with little respite. The descent into Piltown was a relief as you see the plain in front of you and know that there aren't any more climbs before Carrick.

Rolled into Carrick at 14:15 to find the fast group had just left. Had lunch in Sean Kelly Square and left at 15:30. It was hot, the Garmin claimed it was 29C, but it was certainly in the low 20's. Despite the application of suncream I have a lovely, patchy farmers tan and my freckles are joining forces.

Made great time on the stretch into Thomastown, did the 20km in 40 minutes. We found some more audaxers in Thomastown enjoying a 99 so we joined them. Our small 4-person peloton rode the next 50km to Enniscorthy where we refuelled at the Aldi and let the fastest man ride on. We were just slowing him down.

Control at Blackwater at 20:30 and on into the setting sun on the way into Arklow. Plenty of bats chasing midges and moths. The Wicklow mountains that were distant shapes gradually gained form and substance. Into Arklow at 23:00 and the most welcome sandwich and cup of tea from the back of a car.

I know the roads home from Arklow and that wasn't much comfort. Sometimes knowing what ahead of you can make more daunting. Mercifully the darkness hid the worst of the drags. Down Calary Hill and we surprised a hunting cat, who glared at us for disturbing its pursuit. Up the Poggio, never fun, into Enniskerry and the last drags slipped by like beads on a rosary. Down into Dundrum and up the hill to home.

I climbed into my bed at 04:30, 24 hours after I had left it. 413km 4,635m climbing. http://www.strava.com/activities/147993384

massive Chapeau, I done 480km over two days last weekend and i thought that was epic

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

60km in 2:20 with friend....Callan, kells, stoneyford, thomastown, inistioge and loop back around.

Clouds kept the farmers tan at bay but nice day to be out....now time for Cat Laughs!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

100km in 3 hours 40 mins with just over 1200m of climbing. Set out this morning not knowing what to expect as I'm still not used to being over here. It pales in comparison to Helen's ride posted above. http://www.strava.com/activities/148119929

50km into magical pancakeish Meath.

Dublin 8- Phoenix Carpark-Blanch- Kilbride-Bracetown-N3-Clonsilla-Phoenix Carpark and home.

Can't believe how good the road surface is around Kilbride/Bracetown.

26kph average speed
    46kph max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Good on ya NP. That's a brilliant time. Looks like you're well ready for the Red Line/Red Lane in July...

My spin was much the same as NamelessPhil's with the following exceptions:

1. Lost touch with the peloton in the first 10 minutes and did the remainder of the ride in company with Dan and Mike.
    2. Completed the ride in 25h27 rather than 22.
    3. The last drags battered me about the legs like nunchuks.
    4. I got to ride into the dawn and get assaulted by the birds' chorus on the (stunning) run up from Rathdrum to Laragh.
    5. I appear to have finally found my climbing legs (or granny gear)...

Average rolling speed 18.5kph
    Ride time 25h27
    30 hours bed to bed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Well done _cdaly, you got in well before the cut off! Yesterday makes a nice change from the sufferfest that was The Angel of Mons in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Did 88.9km today at 31 km/hr
    Had a nice south wind to help me along for a large part of it. Was a nicer ride from Maam Cross to Maam with the south wind than it was on the Tour De Connemara against the north wind. Got soaked wet though!! I always seem to end up out in the most miserable weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

More Howth hill repeats. Bored.com

https://www.strava.com/activities/148049543

cheerspal wrote: »
    More Howth hill repeats. Bored.com

https://www.strava.com/activities/148049543

But good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Yep. Suppose I should be glad Howth is there. Wicklow is too far away due to family commitments.

Managed to stay out of the saddle from the McGuirks before the turn for the village right up to the summit carpark. Longest I have ever done without sitting down. Was a good test of the oul legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

First cycle over 10km for me in about 5 years! Precipitated by a running injury and need to keep up the aerobic fitness in the meantime.

30km in 1:29 around the roads of the Vee Valley, just 230m ascent.
    On the mountain bike with slick 26x1.75 tyres.
    Happy for the moment to pedal hard over fewer miles, will make it seem all the easier when I fix up my touring bike and get it on the road.

Saw a few of those lads heading up the Vee, may join them next time!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Not meaning to sound like an idiot, but "Vee x 4" means...you went up and down it 4 times in a day? wow! fair dues...

I also went over it on Saturday from the north side, around lunchtime. Great day and the purple Rhodees were stunning...

Oh I was in such a hurry to post the boring details of my cycle today I forgot the most interesting bit.

On the back roads from Kilbride to Bracetown I stopped to ask an old chap for directions, he was in his 70s for sure nice old chap, turned out he'd grown up near where I'd grown up etc, he mentioned he'd been out for a cycle the day before and I thought ah well fair play to him.

He said he'd thought about getting out again this morning but felt he'd be sore. After doing 50KM!

I'm feeling less and less impressed with my exploits on the bike :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

I did 123.5 km today. A kind of tour of Mayo, more or less around Lough Mask, and paid a short visit to my home County, Galway!!
    4 hours 17 mins moving time and 40 minutes of stops (mostly taking photos!!!) It was a fab day for a cycle. Not too hot, not too cold and only a light breeze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Well done _cdaly, you got in well before the cut off! Yesterday makes a nice change from the sufferfest that was The Angel of Mons in January.

Actually, I lie about the ride time. Turns out it was 26h27 with only 33 minutes to spare rather than a whole hour and a half... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Nice spin up the Ox Mountains past Lough Easkey, then turned along the coast road into a bit of a headwind.
    Glad of the hills (never thought I'd hear myself say that).

http://www.strava.com/activities/148640456

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement