Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Lovely evening. Went out for a quick spin, Longwood-Killyon-Kinnegad-Longwood. Kept the cadence fairly high.
    7 segments, 7 PRs. Happy out!!!
    32.8k in 1:07:23 @ 29.2 kmh.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/148721552

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

lismore7 wrote: »
    Not meaning to sound like an idiot, but "Vee x 4" means...you went up and down it 4 times in a day? wow! fair dues...

I also went over it on Saturday from the north side, around lunchtime. Great day and the purple Rhodees were stunning...

Hill repeats on the Vee are not as hard as you might imagine! Boredom is the biggest problem! Maybe we passed each other? I was the guy with the Movistar jersey and the trek bike.

Saturday was a day made for cycling; hopefully we get a few more like it this Summer!

On topic, went on a short spin this afternoon: Burncourt, up Shanrahan from the Clogheen side and then home through Ballyporeen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Very little cycling done this year so tried to see how the hill legs were coming up from Wexford back to Rathfarnham. Fine as far as Aughrim but totally died going up Slieve Mann and not twice better on Shay Elliot. Truly cooked by Laragh, gave the Sallygap a miss and limped back via Roundwood. Cursed my way up Poggio and got back for 142k @ 20kph feeling shattered. Thinking of giving the WW200 a miss next weekend, not nearly enough done. Not the proudest day on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

"the last drags slipped by like beads on a rosary" thats very flowery talk after a spin of that calibre I doff my cap to you sir!, reminds me of something that Con Houlihan may have penned after a day watching a the Ras & then a few brandy & milks in Mulligans!

BTW my spin yesterday, a short 16km in 36 mins. good to be back out after my debacle from Dublin to Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

House to Killenagh, ballycanew, on to gorey , in to arklow , then headed to woodenbridge... rathdrum. Headed across N 11 to beehive pub...hit the coast road and headed for Brittas bay... back to arklow and old N11 to gorey. Had 110 km on the clock and couldn't face the last 15km home... got the dreaded knock... took a lift from one of the lads... They had set off from Gorey. Since getting back on the bike two years ago my longest spin was 70 km so very happy to get a 110km under my belt. Averaged 22km for the spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

72 km on Saturday - Terenure, Firhouse, Tallaght, Brittas, Sally Gap and home. First time over the gap and managed to average 24kph so pretty happy with that.

Did 30 km last night, just up to the top of the hill on blessington road and back. Absolutely flew it home with a generous tailwind, spin average was 28kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

smacl wrote: »
    Thinking of giving the WW200 a miss next weekend, not nearly enough done. Not the proudest day on a bike.

I've had days like that on the bike where all you want to do is feck the bike into a ditch and call home for the broomwagon. I have found that if I've had a bad ride one weekend I usually go much better on the following weekend. You may find that with all the other riders for encouragement that you get round with no problems.

Good luck!

Bloggsie wrote: »
    "the last drags slipped by like beads on a rosary" thats very flowery talk after a spin of that calibre I doff my cap to you sir!, reminds me of something that Con Houlihan may have penned after a day watching a the Ras & then a few brandy & milks in Mulligans!

Erm, I'm female last time I looked, even if the username isn't much of a guide.:o

Thanks for the compliments. The next big ride will probably be the Red Line/Red Lane 600.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Erm, I'm female last time I looked, even if the username isn't much of a guide.:o

Thanks for the compliments. The next big ride will probably be the Red Line/Red Lane 600.

Only 600km? No bother to you

• Advertisement

nameless phil, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, that being said I still doff my cap to you. i would love to able to put the time/milage into doing an event like you did over the weekend, i'll have to settle for my 2-2.5 hours every saturday or sunday.

Maybe, it's 420km on day one, rest for as long as you can and then 180km over the Wicklow climbs for day two. If you've never climbed the Red Lane near the N11 it bloody hurts! 40 hours to do everything including stops. You're welcome to join me in the madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Lots happened on today's spin, decided I didn't need knee warmers and was cursing that I had no short sleeve jerseys clean to wear and brought my windshell as I figured the forecast rain showers would dry off pretty quickly in the warm weather and off of a warm Rollingscone.

Went Cruagh-Viewpoint-Featherbeds- Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride- my legs seemed dead today and the weather couldn't make up its mind, it started to rain twice on the way to the Yellow house but then stopped. I wibbled up Cruagh road at 10kph while some guy with 2% body fat and an allergy to sitting tore past me and was coming back time before I reached the second bridge. At this point it seemed a little cooler than I expected.

The grey gusty weather continued up on to the feather beds where a Homoerotictension* of Teenage boys in one of their mummy's cars made a grab for me out of the back window as they passed, and another much better fitter cyclist zipped by me not long after.

It was freezing cold on my legs at this stage and I did a lot of the journey to the Gap and beyond to crossroads wearing my windshell long enough for the sun to come out and make it too warm. I seemed to just be dragging wheels for a lot of it and got to the top of the gap in full sight of bemused tourists at a painful 7kph.

On the descent to Manor Kilbride, I braked way too much on that first sharp drop down even as the first bit of real rain and a cutting wind hit me for the day, although that died down quick enough, next a number of biting midges showed that speed was no obstacle to them and managed to land on my face at about 37kph, and proceed to dine. One even let the updraft carry him under my glasses and into my eyeball.

In the vicinity of Kilbride I linked up with my Dad on his Carrerra Zelos and Aldi gear and we pootled along at a respectable speed along the back roads to Lacken, before turning back not long past the Blessington Bridge on account of the steadily worsening conditions, my dear Pater who had been chipping along at 25-30kph (he hit 40+ on a few of the short descents) on the way out, was far more cautious in the wet so we endured icewater soaking our kit, surface water being sprayed on us by passing traffic and lots of frustrated thought of all of the great winter cycling gear sitting back at my place in town.

I offered to take the heroic option and make my own way home but after very little (i.e. no) arm twisting I agreed to take the broom wagon.

65KM
    44KM solo 21 with my dad.
    Max spd 49kph
    Avg spd 20kph.
    Near Assgrabs x1.

Both a bit of a kicker of a day for my ego and a really nice chance to get out with the old man.
    10373032_10203126023204295_8923471392686370965_o.jpg

*I believe this is the correct term for a group of privileged School senior boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lots happened on today's spin, ....

Great post. I enjoyed the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

first day back on the bike after breaking my arm
    1hr45 on a turbo with the radio on
    id never used a turbo before as id usually go out in all weathers
    dont think I have ever sweated so much on the bike , luckily enough I dont have a cast on the arm
    dont think I will become a big fan of using a turbo but it will have to do for another 2-3 weeks

jober wrote: »
    first day back on the bike after breaking my arm
    1hr45 on a turbo with the radio on
    id never used a turbo before as id usually go out in all weathers
    dont think I have ever sweated so much on the bike , luckily enough I dont have a cast on the arm
    dont think I will become a big fan of using a turbo but it will have to do for another 2-3 weeks

Based on how much fitter Carpenter was as after a short period of rehab on the Turbo when I met him in the hills, as opposed to my winter of flat spins on the bike I'd say the Turbo will pay dividends!

Lots happened on today's spin, decided I didn't need knee warmers and was cursing that I had no short sleeve jerseys clean to wear and brought my windshell as I figured the forecast rain showers would dry off pretty quickly in the warm weather and off of a warm Rollingscone.

Went Cruagh-Viewpoint-Featherbeds- Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride- my legs seemed dead today and the weather couldn't make up its mind, it started to rain twice on the way to the Yellow house but then stopped. I wibbled up Cruagh road at 10kph while some guy with 2% body fat and an allergy to sitting tore past me and was coming back time before I reached the second bridge. At this point it seemed a little cooler than I expected.

The grey gusty weather continued up on to the feather beds where a Homoerotictension* of Teenage boys in one of their mummy's cars made a grab for me out of the back window as they passed, and another much better fitter cyclist zipped by me not long after.

It was freezing cold on my legs at this stage and I did a lot of the journey to the Gap and beyond to crossroads wearing my windshell long enough for the sun to come out and make it too warm. I seemed to just be dragging wheels for a lot of it and got to the top of the gap in full sight of bemused tourists at a painful 7kph.

On the descent to Manor Kilbride, I braked way too much on that first sharp drop down even as the first bit of real rain and a cutting wind hit me for the day, although that died down quick enough, next a number of biting midges showed that speed was no obstacle to them and managed to land on my face at about 37kph, and proceed to dine. One even let the updraft carry him under my glasses and into my eyeball.

In the vicinity of Kilbride I linked up with my Dad on his Carrerra Zelos and Aldi gear and we pootled along at a respectable speed along the back roads to Lacken, before turning back not long past the Blessington Bridge on account of the steadily worsening conditions, my dear Pater who had been chipping along at 25-30kph (he hit 40+ on a few of the short descents) on the way out, was far more cautious in the wet so we endured icewater soaking our kit, surface water being sprayed on us by passing traffic and lots of frustrated thought of all of the great winter cycling gear sitting back at my place in town.

I offered to take the heroic option and make my own way home but after very little (i.e. no) arm twisting I agreed to take the broom wagon.

65KM
    44KM solo 21 with my dad.
    Max spd 49kph
    Avg spd 20kph.
    Near Assgrabs x1.

Both a bit of a kicker of a day for my ego and a really nice chance to get out with the old man.
    10373032_10203126023204295_8923471392686370965_o.jpg

*I believe this is the correct term for a group of privileged School senior boys.
    a good read, about the numpty school boys, if it looks like an ass they will grab at it regardless of the owners gender. They generally tend to be all mouth & no trousers, from experience, the one making all the noise is the windiest one, a quick verbal slap on the cheek will have them all scattering like dry leaves!

thanks for the images of hell that can be experienced while out "enjoying" yourself on a spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I took to youtube last night and learned how to give my bike a decent degrease/lube and tune up. So with the sun shining, a well oiled machine under me and only the quiet hum of tyre on road for company, I decided to point myself at two of the hills that have been looming in my nightmares since I started back cycling, the Green Rd up Cairns Hill and the Glen Rd up Knocknarea. I made it up both, not quickly, and I'm glad I have a triple, but I made it. I am near the bottom of the KOM lists on Strava for both, but given few have attempted them compared to the flatter segments around them, I reckon plenty of people are just too chicken to give them a go!

Anyway 555m over 57.4k in just under 2 1/2 hours and two benchmarks to aim for next time. Onwards and upwards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

38k today of a loop from celbridge around to Leixlip/Maynooth/Rathcoffey /Clane to try have a go at a tt segmenet on strava that a buddy of mine got 6th place on on his first ever road bike ride with a time of 15.38 FOR 8.4k. Could only manage 17.30. Must. Try. HARDER!

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    38k today of a loop from celbridge around to Leixlip/Maynooth/Rathcoffey /Clane to try have a go at a tt segmenet on strava that a buddy of mine got 6th place on on his first ever road bike ride with a time of 15.38 FOR 8.4k. Could only manage 17.30. Must. Try. HARDER!

Sounds like a job for...NEW BIKE [/wakawaka]

• Advertisement

Sounds like a job for...NEW BIKE [/wakawaka]

Christ no, I've only just done that! It's a job for some natural talent but I'm not sure where I can order that from. Crc have been out of stock for months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Nice lunch time cycle. 25.7km at 31.4km average speed. Some PR and a top 10 full loop of the Phoenix Park. Pretty happy with that

strava.com/activities/149690367

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭rob w

Came across this while out cycling in Lille today! Handy if your'e ever caught out without a tube after hours I guess.....and in the vicinity! Thought it was funny though!

l.jpg

rob w wrote: »
    Came across this while out cycling in Lille today! Handy if your'e ever caught out without a tube after hours I guess.....and in the vicinity! Thought it was funny though!

l.jpg

Brings new meaning to the phrase getting a rubber for a ride from the machine anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

rob w wrote: »

l.jpg

"Have you got a rubber?"

"Of course I do, got one from the machine over there."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

"Went a bit soft mid ride so got a rubber from machine, just need a pump now and I'm good to go" etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

12.16km in 35mins giant escape 3 hybrid

First time out in over 2 months after an ankle injury very unfit will be the end of summer before im at a level of fitness im happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The last time I had a "racer" was when the brakes had two "stems", the one for the racing position, but also the one across the top of the handlebars. Apparently they don't have those any more!

Anyhow, I think I am going to get into cycling. I borrowed a bike from a friend and went for a spin last night. No idea how far, went from KCR - Harolds Cross - Kimmage - Crumlin - Walkinstown - Spawell - Butterfield Ave then Park - Ballyboden Road down to Yellow House past Nutgrove then into Rathgar & KCR. 45 minutes door to door.

Really enjoyed it. I felt like I was tipping along nicely but don't have any app or anything for speed or distance or whatever. I think the bike is pretty good as it moved along nicely with no rattles. Now I am concerned I'll have to give it back and buy something I can afford, which wont be as good as this one! Anyhow, I have been a lurker here for a while and, having been a begrudging commuter cyclist at various points over the years (short distances only), I have now donned the lycra and understand what it is all about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Not really a morning person, but with today promising to be the only "summer" day for a while on the east coast anyway, I set the dial for 6 on the alarm clock and was on my bike and on the road in North County Dublin by 6.30. After half an hour, the urge to vomit had largely passed and I enjoyed the stillness of the place and the early morning sunshine. Ballyboughal / Oldtown kind of direction. Very pretty. Towards the end of my 40km I treated the stalled traffic at a junction to a display of "cleat fail" (I'm only a couple of months in the hoorin things). Keeled over on to the grass. Nice landing. Tis great that cycling gear disguises you so much (neighbours aren't pointing yet) Knocked off the chain and though it was easily fixed, I was covered in oil when I got back to the house where Rambling Woman kind of tutted at me as I headed for the shower and off to work.

I'll be lying in till 8 tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Not really a morning person, but with today promising to be the only "summer" day for a while on the east coast anyway, I set the dial for 6 on the alarm clock and was on my bike and on the road in North County Dublin by 6.30. After half an hour, the urge to vomit had largely passed and I enjoyed the stillness of the place and the early morning sunshine. Ballyboughal / Oldtown kind of direction. Very pretty. Towards the end of my 40km I treated the stalled traffic at a junction to a display of "cleat fail" (I'm only a couple of months in the hoorin things). Keeled over on to the grass. Nice landing. Tis great that cycling gear disguises you so much (neighbours aren't pointing yet) Knocked off the chain and though it was easily fixed, I was covered in oil when I got back to the house where Rambling Woman kind of tutted at me as I headed for the shower and off to work.

I'll be lying in till 8 tomorrow.
    i can better your cleat fail, on the june bank holiday weekend last year on my 1st spin on my new road bike I got hemmend by traffice going through Kilcock, I fell off outside the church as a funeral came out, a guy ran over to lift the bike back up & dragged me with it as my right foot was still stuck in the other cleat. At least it gave the mourners someting to smile about. it took every ounce of me not to scream obscenties at myself!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement