Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Bit late but did 77km with club, swallowed a wasp but didn't sting me. Had no legs at all, only for a few guys hanging off the back taking it easy prior to Wicklow this weekend I could of been dropped.

Just a bad night all round , some dirty p***k pulled up signs and threw them over ditch that I had down for our in house TT. Got signs on way home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

23 km this evening in 48 mins @ 28kph. Dodder Park road, Templeville road out to the phoenix park that way through walkinstown, chapelizord. Lap around the park and home by Cornmarket to Terenure. Lovely evening.

Happy with it as there were slight headwinds at a few spots and I smashed my PB's on 8 or 9 courses on mapmyride. Haven't done this route in 3 weeks or so so must be getting fitter!!

85 km somewhere in the Wicklow 'hills' to come on Sunday and then begin to wind down for the Tour De Burren 96k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Not really a morning person, but with today promising to be the only "summer" day for a while on the east coast anyway, I set the dial for 6 on the alarm clock and was on my bike and on the road in North County Dublin by 6.30. After half an hour, the urge to vomit had largely passed and I enjoyed the stillness of the place and the early morning sunshine. Ballyboughal / Oldtown kind of direction. Very pretty. Towards the end of my 40km I treated the stalled traffic at a junction to a display of "cleat fail" (I'm only a couple of months in the hoorin things). Keeled over on to the grass. Nice landing. Tis great that cycling gear disguises you so much (neighbours aren't pointing yet) Knocked off the chain and though it was easily fixed, I was covered in oil when I got back to the house where Rambling Woman kind of tutted at me as I headed for the shower and off to work.

I'll be lying in till 8 tomorrow.

Going to purchase my first pair of clip in shoes and pedals tomorrow - I am not looking forward to the inevitable traffic lights fail!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Going to purchase my first pair of clip in shoes and pedals tomorrow - I am not looking forward to the inevitable traffic lights fail!!

It hasn't happened to me yet. The few times I nearly fell I came unclipped and landed on my feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

For the first few spins just keep repeating in your head..''I'm clipped in'' I found after 10-15k my mind wandered and I almost fell over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Lovely spin this afternoon, weather was brill. Barna/Moycullen/Spiddal loop.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/149783807

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

49km after work this evening.
    1 hour and 36 minutes.
    Was absolutely f@@ked when I got home!!!

This time last year I wasn't able to complete that route without
    a) stopping
    b) taking on food.
    This evening I managed to complete it at an average speed of 30.4 km/hr with just about 600ml of water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Last Spin before Wicklow 100, stoped for a quick pint at strawberry beds pub to top up some carbs:-)
    [IMG][/img]CD722688-5813-45AC-8C4F-E79E0DE3EB7F_zps08ns8ov0.jpg

After short break got my first KOM on strava:-)
    [IMG][/img]6A587932-3C92-4F23-9815-6B09B463CA4A_zps4b4yoyoy.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

byrybak wrote: »
    Last Spin before Wicklow 100, stoped for a quick pint at strawberry beds pub to top up some carbs:-)

After short break got my first KOM on strava:-)
    [IMG][/img]6A587932-3C92-4F23-9815-6B09B463CA4A_zps4b4yoyoy.png

You'll not hold that for long after putting that up! Should have kept that to yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    You'll not hold that for long after putting that up! Should have kept that to yourself!

I don't care
    It's mine for today:-)

• Advertisement

I don't care

I'll give it a lash the weekend ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Small time stuff compared to 99.99% of ye on here but Im pleased that i did an hour and a half cycle on Monday and 45mins this evening.

Absolutely gorgeous weather out there this evening for any activity. I nearly didn't go out making excuses like tired from work but so happy i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

I've never forgotten I had them on, just couldn't clip out for some reason. Just panicked I think. I'll be clipping out several kilometers in advance of anticipated stops now! I've also loosened the tension on the pedal cleatly thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I've never forgotten I had them on, just couldn't clip out for some reason. Just panicked I think. I'll be clipping out several kilometers in advance of anticipated stops now! I've also loosened the tension on the pedal cleatly thing.

My first spin with them, I was paranoid about not being able to unclip so made sure to free myself well in advance of my espresso stop. All well and good until I forgot just as I was gliding elegantly to a stop, put my foot back on the pedal to balance myself, inadvertently clipped back in and promptly fell over... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

dakar wrote: »
    My first spin with them, I was paranoid about not being able to unclip so made sure to free myself well in advance of my espresso stop. All well and good until I forgot just as I was gliding elegantly to a stop, put my foot back on the pedal to balance myself, inadvertently clipped back in and promptly fell over... :o

Heh. Maybe the unluckiest of cleat fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Just on the rollers now this week while I mend a bit more. Enjoying it though unlike the dog who got tired of watching me after a minute. Actually seeing an improvement in myself day to day so im happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Lovely morning for it this morning. Found a fawn with it's leg stuck in a barbed wire fence. I managed to free it and expected it to run off but it didn't. Shared my breakfast with him and then headed off again. A really nice 32km. A little cold to begin with but nice all the same. http://www.strava.com/activities/150025966

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Nice bit of a spin today, 87.4km...Did it in 2 Hrs 59 Mins average speed 29.4km with 475m of elevation, Limerick, Cratloe, SixMileBridge, Newmarket, Clare Castle, Ennis, Quinn, Kilmurry, SixMileBride, Clonlara, ArdnaCrusha, Limerick City...

Google maps said it would be 103.8km...Where did google maps get the extra 16kms:mad:

Highlight was making it from Limerick to Ennis in 1 Hr 3 Mins...

It was also a solo spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Nice bit of a spin today, 87.4km...Did it in 2 Hrs 59 Mins average speed 29.4km with 475m of elevation, Limerick, Cratloe, SixMileBridge, Newmarket, Clare Castle, Ennis, Quinn, Kilmurry, SixMileBride, Clonlara, ArdnaCrusha, Limerick City...

Google maps said it would be 103.8km...Where did google maps get the extra 16kms:mad:

Highlight was making it from Limerick to Ennis in 1 Hr 3 Mins...

It was also a solo spin
    if google is correct then your average speed is way lower so you should be happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I cycled past you last night! Saw the 2 of you having your pints outside (I was on way home after short spin around Meath).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

iamtony wrote: »
    if google is correct then your average speed is way lower so you should be happy!

no if google was correct i'd have done 103.8km in 2hrs 59 mnis thus bringing up my average speed. But it certainly didn't feel like it was over 90km of a spin to be honest. So i'm guessing my strava and gps are the correct distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

no if google was correct i'd have done 103.8km in 2hrs 59 mnis thus bringing up my average speed. But it certainly didn't feel like it was over 90km of a spin to be honest. So i'm guessing my strava and gps are the correct distance

Oh yeah my bad! Good work anyway:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Well my day started badly when I hit a pedestrian on the north quays. I went flying, bike went flying. Bad road rash, some aches and pains, and some rips in my gear, but everything else seems ok. Pedestrian was unscathed. He had stepped out when it was red (for him) so he was all apologies.

I don't care

And for today also as my spin couldn't quite get me there under 41s! More work needed! Nice little hill though. Only a 15k spin to get out of the house after work before vegitating for the night!
    I was passed by a blonde girl while daydreaming coasting down the hill out of lucan past McDonalds, she was spinning a blur of a cadence it was that fast, tried to sit in behind her but she was just gone, if youre on here, kudos you were flying and i couldnt catch you no matter how hard i tried!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Well my day started badly when I hit a pedestrian on the north quays. I went flying, bike went flying. Bad road rash, some aches and pains, and some rips in my gear, but everything else seems ok. Pedestrian was unscathed. He had stepped out when it was red (for him) so he was all apologies.

Did it happen just past O'Connell street on the quays? You took a bad knock there.

The young lad just ploughed right into you...as you said the lights were red for him - he didn't look. Thankfully there was very little traffic following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

As well he might be. You should have asked him if he had household insurance with public liability cover.
    Going through busy junctions in this city without the protection of an accompanying car or bus is high risk. It's the only time when I miss having a loud bell or horn on the bike. One of the worst sets of lights is Gardiner/Talbot Street where Gardai heading back to Store Street to clock out are regular offenders (along with hundreds of others). Sarcastic enquiries regarding the location of the nearest Specsavers or their ability to determine colours are generally a waste of breath.

Did it happen just past O'Connell street on the quays? You took a bad knock there.

The young lad just ploughed right into you...as you said the lights were red for him - he didn't look. Thankfully there was very little traffic following.

Yup, that was it. Could've been a disaster if there was traffic behind - I got off lightly.

Only noticed later that one of my shiny new 105 shifters looks like someone's taken a large bite out of it. :mad: Everything still seems to work though.

As well he might be. You should have asked him if he had household insurance with public liability cover.
    Going through busy junctions in this city without the protection of an accompanying car or bus is high risk. It's the only time when I miss having a loud bell or horn on the bike. One of the worst sets of lights is Gardiner/Talbot Street where Gardai heading back to Store Street to clock out are regular offenders (along with hundreds of others). Sarcastic enquiries regarding the location of the nearest Specsavers or their ability to determine colours are generally a waste of breath.

Agreed. I was going at a fair oul' pace this morning, but I reckon I'll take it handier at junctions if there's no bus or car alongside me. When pedestrians look for oncoming traffic, do they only see vehicles? I reckon we must be invisible or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

[SARCASM MODE ON] You should have been wearing one of those helmet cams and tried to get him into a fight, like they do to Dublin Bus Drivers, and put it up on Youtube!! [SARCASM MODE OFF]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

So my second hour and a half cycle this week. Just over 30k. Clonee to the Phoinex park and home again. Lots of hills and deer.

For the second time this week I nearly didn't go out as it looked like it was going to bucket with rain but it didn't and got sunny near the end.

Really enjoyed it. Hope to get out again tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement