Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

My first 100km ride since i got back into cycling after a fifteen year break! Greystones to Arklow and back. Weather looked a bit **** at first but cleared up. Don't know how many little bunnies i saw sitting on the road maybe twenty! It was an early start so i must have frightened the ****e out of them!
    http://www.strava.com/activities/150450200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

Dunleer,Dundalk,Jonesboro into Cooley Mtns.Past Long Womans grave, down Jenkinstown hill & home. 102kms. Rainy at first & v.warm with rainjacket on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Lovely day today in the hills. Home to baltinglass, rathdangan, slievemaan, Shag Elliott, ice cream stop in Laragh, then on to Wicklow way to Hollywood, back to baltinglass and home.

Really hate the road from Hollywood to baltinglass really drains the speed. All I all 112k door to door @ 28k average, happy with that for a solo ride.

One scary moment coming off shay Elliott just before the tjunction to laragh. Was carrying to much speed and the back end was sliding all over the place trying to stop. Scared the shot out of me. Went from nice dry road to wet and damp, won't get caught out there again.

Even got to see two deers/stag

All in all a great day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Went to the Slieve Blooms for the first time today.

Climbed the Wolftrap and The Cut. I had an awesome time.
    744m of climbing, over a 47.2km distance.

http://www.strava.com/activities/150580948

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

The last time I had a "racer" was when the brakes had two "stems", the one for the racing position, but also the one across the top of the handlebars. Apparently they don't have those any more!
    !

Have those brakes on my 30 year old tourer (Falcon Cotswold), just took it out for a shakedown today and was reminded that they don't half rattle!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I set off at 8:15 to do the Wicklow 100. The rain was bucketing down for the guts of an hour. It started just as I topped the Long Hill. I was soaked through and the discomfort of the rain being driven into my face hurt my pace a little at that point. The rain eased off and I kept going. I finished up with an average of 25.1km/h which I was happy with given the earlier conditions.

That's my first sportive and my first 100km done. Now it's Guinness time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Went to the Slieve Blooms for the first time today.

Climbed the Wolftrap and The Cut. I had an awesome time.
    744m of climbing, over a 47.2km distance.

http://www.strava.com/activities/150580948

Cant remember which climb i did there but side from Laois was a delight lovely road, then you reach the top and offaly and the good road disappears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

My first century of 2014 is done, riding the La Ruta del Murrintowneo. Got a soaking as I left my house but thankfully it didn't rain again. There was however a very tough wind coming in off the sea, so it was going to be a big headwind for the start and hopefully a tailwind on the way back.

Fairly sure I finished well inside the first half of the field, although I wasn't setting any landspeed records. Today really hit home how I'm only much good going uphill, and slow as blazes at everything else. There's a number of fairly steep drags on the road out to Ramsgrange, and I passed about 3 or 4 groups on that 12 km stretch. On the last one, I helped a guy catch the group he was being dropped off the back. Got him back on, and then I never saw him again :confused:

Nice cycle, nice sportive, slightly skimpy food stop but had a nice day out :)

109km total

http://www.strava.com/activities/150981331

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Swinford co.mayo to bohola and back to swinford again

16.98km in 47mins avg speed 21kmh

Legs felt very weak on hills but happy with my first week back in the guts of 3 months

Bike:giant escape hybrid 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Longest ride of the year for me today - 160k. Avoided the worst of the rain, ducked into a PEtrol Station for one bad one. Had the wind in my face from bout k 45 - 110. Was glad to turn for home.

Dublin - Trim - Enfield - Naas - Ballymore - Blessington - Dublin
    http://www.strava.com/activities/151012342

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Finished the wicklow 200 today god awful weather, rain, rain , and more rain ahhhhh didnt get dry till the last 30 kms or so, didnt help that my lil one had a dose of the runs the whole night didnt get enough sleep , knackered now, time for a big pint of protein shake and hit the sack :-)http://www.strava.com/activities/151088240?fb_action_ids=10152469764053622&fb_action_types=fitness.bikes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B595260733915149%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22fitness.bikes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

70km today in very very mixed weather. Lashed rain so hard at one point near Summerhill that I had to shelter under a tree cos I couldn't see. Kept going apart from that - lovely headwind on the way home to Maynooth from Mother Hubbards.

http://www.strava.com/activities/151131177

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

90km - wet, windy, dry, wet, dry, windy, wet, wind, more wind and dry again - lovely spin for month of June !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

Did the Murntown 100 today , lashed rain on the way down from gorey, but it stopped just before the start and never rained again. Was lovely weather down at Hook head, wind was playing tricks though , had head wind on way back for a while when it should have been a tail wind. ! It ended up being a 105 km.
    Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭eoin88

Longest ride in about 2 years today, 190km from Cork to Clon and back via the coast. Beautiful sunshine after lunch, I simply couldn't resist a quick dip at Garretstown (another first for the year)!
    http://www.strava.com/activities/151037365

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

Charity spin with Sean Kelly on friday down in Waterford / South Tipp with my brothers company. About 50 people did it so was a decent sized group.

Started in Ballymacarbry -> Newcastle -> Clogheen -> Ardfinnan -> Clonmel -> Mountain Road over Barravakeen -> Ballmacarbry. Great day, started off with a talk on bike maintenance (picked up a few tips) and on the road at 11.30. The horrible weather down south coast on Friday managed to avoid us. Sean Kelly lead the group out and mixed around as much as he could, before he took off like a Billie Goat up Mountain Road, so got to cycle with him and have a chat for a couple of km (not up the hill), really really sound man and full of advice. Mountain Road is one tough climb, started at a nice steady pace (around 22km/h) but the gradient keeps increasing on the way up (from 4% up to around 15-20% in parts afaik) so was down to 10km/h at times. Calves started to cramp near the top but managed to stretch them out. Speed wobble on the descent scared the absolute cr@p out of me so took my time the rest of the way down, headset is tightened now so shouldn't have that problem for another while. Then back to where we started for lunch and a chat with Sean. Will have photos at some stage this week. Great day and got to cycle with a legend!

http://www.strava.com/activities/150125283 - the important part: 69.9Km avg 24km/h max 54.7km/h (speed wobble held me back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

jgreene83 wrote: »
    Charity spin with Sean Kelly on friday down in Waterford / South Tipp with my brothers company. About 50 people did it so was a decent sized group.

Started in Ballymacarbry -> Newcastle -> Clogheen -> Ardfinnan -> Clonmel -> Mountain Road over Barravakeen -> Ballmacarbry. Great day, started off with a talk on bike maintenance (picked up a few tips) and on the road at 11.30. The horrible weather down south coast on Friday managed to avoid us. Sean Kelly lead the group out and mixed around as much as he could, before he took off like a Billie Goat up Mountain Road, so got to cycle with him and have a chat for a couple of km (not up the hill), really really sound man and full of advice. Mountain Road is one tough climb, started at a nice steady pace (around 22km/h) but the gradient keeps increasing on the way up (from 4% up to around 15-20% in parts afaik) so was gown to 10km/h at times. Calves started to cramp near the top but managed to stretch them out. Speed wobble on the descent scared the absolute cr@p out of me so took my time the rest of the way down, headset is tightened now so shouldn't have that problem for another while. Then back to where we started for lunch and a chat with Sean. Will have photos at some stage this week. Great day and got to cycle with a legend!

http://www.strava.com/activities/150125283

http://www.strava.com/segments/3748378

http://www.strava.com/segments/656146

Next time your down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

ford2600 wrote: »

Nice! Looks painful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Orion wrote: »
    70km today in very very mixed weather. Lashed rain so hard at one point near Summerhill that I had to shelter under a tree cos I couldn't see. Kept going apart from that - lovely headwind on the way home to Maynooth from Mother Hubbards.

http://www.strava.com/activities/151131177
    morning orion, have you tried the new road from Enfield to Edenderry yet? it is like cycling on air, its lovely!

• Advertisement

Bloggsie wrote: »
    morning orion, have you tried the new road from Enfield to Edenderry yet? it is like cycling on air, its lovely!

Haven't actually. Want to try that together weekend after next? Cycling to Glendalough with some other alcoholics this weekend. The Wicklow Gap on Sunday coming back should be 'fun' after a night out with them. :eek:

yere nuckin futs, cycling in county hill aka wicklow is a challenge fresh & fit, I would hate to try it after a nite on the sauce! Will be in touch about the spin, The route i took was Maynooth>Kilcock>Enfield>Carbury>Prosperous>Maynooth. 66-67 kms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Got my new bike last Tuesday, drive it home in the car in the pouring rain. Kept it inside along with my old bike to do some personalisation, swap mud guards over. Left them both inside that night as it was lashing out.

That night my Mrs bike was robbed. It's the only night I have not had my bike outside, so was extremely lucky my brand new bike was not robbed.
    Didn't cycle to work all last week, due to rain and other commitments requiring my car.

Today was the first ride in.. So my cycle today:

after about 5 minutes I got a puncture in my brand new puncture-resistant tyres. I still had my old spare tube (wrong size) and pump (wrong valve), so was left with no choice other than to jog in.

Anyone seeing a bloke running his bike up the N11 this morning with a bike at his side? Yeah that was me.

Also in the 5 minutes I did ride, the gears were out of tune. Didn't think it had been long enough for the cable to stretch already, but it must have.

Got to work, showered and decided to bring the bike to the shop. borrowed a pump, but the puncture was too big, tyre flat instantly. Had to walk it 2.5 km.

Not really happy with my new bike at this point.. Just bad karma type stuff happening.

Got the puncture repaired, gears tuned and cycled back to work. Felt much better so hoping for a fresh start with my nice new wheels.

Onwards & upwards.

thats not a great start, but get the bad mojo out of the way early doors. only happy joy-joy going forward.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    yere nuckin futs, cycling in county hill aka wicklow is a challenge fresh & fit, I would hate to try it after a nite on the sauce! Will be in touch about the spin, The route i took was Maynooth>Kilcock>Enfield>Carbury>Prosperous>Maynooth. 66-67 kms

Do it the other way around and instead of Carbury to Enfield go from Carbury to Newtown and take on the hill there - it's a lovely climb. It'll bring you back out on R148 to head back to Kilcock and Maynooth.

sounds good. whats the km? whats the climb like, I havent done that spin before?

Quick spin, Rathfarnham to Glencullen to Rathfarnham, 25.5kph, 24.1km. Great evening for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Just a couple of kilometres this evening with my 5 and 6 yr old kids. I got my first road bike a year ago to the day and wanted to push the cycle computer over 4000 kms for the year. Came home with 4002 on the clock and chuffed. Cycling is addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Went over the "Vee" from Lismore side so I could have a crack at Mt Mellary from the north side. Ford2600 mentioned it was one of the toughest climbs in the Knockmealdowns.... wasn't kidding.. I'm ashamed to say I had to stop 3 times to replenish the O2 levels, however I did cycle it and didn't walk any of it.
    Tough climb not aided by a stiff head wind, heavy showers and a bottle of wine the night before, which probably wasn't the best idea I ever had....quads were zapped...
    First climb since Healy Pass last September, that has beaten me...

Had to cut the spin short to 65kms as wanted to get back to see Waterford v Cork.... Would have been better to stay out on the bike :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Spin from dromiskin to Ardee this morn to work- back to Dundalk at lunchtime and home to dromiskun at 5! Think it was about 50k all in! Not bad with no Lycra and nobbly tyres!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement