Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Drogheda-Duleek-Bellewstown Hill-Naul-Stamullen-Gormanstown-Julianstown-Laytown-Bettystown-Mornington-Drogheda
    55km in the sun, rain, wind, thunder and...hailstones!
    (It is June after all) :rolleyes:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

It was last night, not today. It was a crap day, lots of heavy showers so I didn't go out when u got home. It all cleared before 9 and I wasn't in the mood for watching telly. Tuesday is a training day and I'd be in bad form if I missed it.

I did my first official 10k run on Sunday, I run Tuesday and Thursday too but was a little stuff yesterday so cycled instead, u fund it stretches the legs a but after running and gets rid if the stiffness.

I just went for a nice and handy 20k, a few hills but nothing too long. It took me an hour to do it and I really enjoyed it. Very relaxing and I went straight to sleep when I went to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Dónal wrote: »
    Quick spin, Rathfarnham to Glencullen to Rathfarnham, 25.5kph, 24.1km. Great evening for it!

Done the same spin myself, up Rockbrook and along Pine Forest to Glencullen. Lovely sunset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

Decided to commute in to the city centre today via the N2 rather than my usual R132 (that's the old N1). All going swimmingly until I get to the junction just before the M50. The sign says left for N2 / M50 and right for "Local Access". Figuring that as I've just been on the N2 for the last 20 km or so and "Local Access" doesn't sound too promising I take the left turn. Big mistake. It may not be "motorway" strictly speaking but it might as well be - three lanes of very fast moving traffic. And to cap it all I puncture about 500m down the road. Changing a tube on the hard shoulder with trucks whizzing by at 100kph+ is not the most pleasant experience.:(

My advice to anyone going this way - when you to get that sign, take the right turn. Just checked it on google street view and there seems to be a dedicated cycle path to get you back on to the N2 shortly afterwards. I think I'll send an email to the local authority suggesting the put a sign up for cyclists to turn right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

bren_mc wrote: »
    Decided to commute in to the city centre today via the N2 rather than my usual R132 (that's the old N1). All going swimmingly until I get to the junction just before the M50. The sign says left for N2 / M50 and right for "Local Access". Figuring that as I've just been on the N2 for the last 20 km or so and "Local Access" doesn't sound too promising I take the left turn. Big mistake. It may not be "motorway" strictly speaking but it might as well be - three lanes of very fast moving traffic. And to cap it all I puncture about 500m down the road. Changing a tube on the hard shoulder with trucks whizzing by at 100kph+ is not the most pleasant experience.:(

My advice to anyone going this way - when you to get that sign, take the right turn. Just checked it on google street view and there seems to be a dedicated cycle path to get you back on to the N2 shortly afterwards. I think I'll send an email to the local authority suggesting the put a sign up for cyclists to turn right.

I nearly made the same mistake myself once but a genuinely helpful motorist pulled up to warn me when I was on the on ramp.

The local access road goes for about a km until a little access track brings you to a zany corkscrew flyover bridge which in turn deposits you outside Joe Duffy BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

@bren_mc - its just as bonkers coming the other way aswell!! No signs for cycle access anywhere. First time I went that way I ended up on the main road, having to cross a couple of lanes of traffic. Fun. As rollingscone says, if you stay on the old n2, down by the dogs charity place, there is a footbridge that brings you over the road and leaves you out by joe duffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

lennymc wrote: »
    @bren_mc - its just as bonkers coming the other way aswell!! No signs for cycle access anywhere. First time I went that way I ended up on the main road, having to cross a couple of lanes of traffic. Fun.
    I've done that by accident too. Head north through Finglas and you're on a main road with verry little Hard Shoulder, which then becomes one lane, before dumping you out with one fast lane on your right, and two fast lanes on the left to get across before ya reach a hard shoulder.
    http://goo.gl/maps/thhl1

There is a cycle bridge but no signs for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

ford2600 wrote: »

Jaysus, that "Holy Year Cross Route no.1" segments looks savage. Living out 30k away so must try it at some stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Quick lunchtime spin around Clogheen area on the MTB.
    26km, 220m ascent in 1h17, average 20km/h.

You'd want to come and see the rhododendrons soon, the bloom will probably be over by next week.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

2 seconds of KOM (Sick)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Finally got around to getting the shoes / pedals. Wow. What a difference.

Went Dodder Park, Churchtown, Mount Merrion, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Killiney Hill, Rock Road, Canal, Rathmines, Terenure. 40k with 300 meters climbing with average speed of 27.5 kmph.

Did a very similar course 3 weeks ago and my average was 25 kmph. I am pleasantly surprised with the immediate difference, feels so much smoother. Found the clipping in / out pretty easy to get the hang of but as advised on here, one set of traffic lights almost got me when I forgot I was wearing them :-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Found the clipping in / out pretty easy to get the hang of but as advised on here, one set of traffic lights almost got me when I forgot I was wearing them :-).
    I made the move at the start of the year and was going fine for a few months. Then one day just as I was getting complacent, bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Better half let me off babysitting last night to take advantage of good weather. Quick spin, Rathgar-Cruagh-Glencullen with detour to do Devil's elbow-home.
    Boards jersey unzipped up Cruagh doing my best impression of a very slow and fat Contador. hopefully time for 80km on sat morning as last prep for Tour De Burren.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First ride since the Evil 200. Well rested.

Did 45km @ 30.5km/h average. Lovely morning for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Did my longest cycle so far today....55k.....I love and hate this thread - feel great (and pretty knackered), after that cycle and then come here and read about yer 100 ks and 150 ks and Wicklow 200! :o All in good time I guess. Couldn't imagine going more than 70 or 80 today though.

How many stops do ye make on those trips?

Got to sample the great cycle tracks around Westport and the lovely flat terrain, a lot less climbing than I'm used to in Donegal, stiff headwind for the last 6 or 7 miles home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How many stops do ye make on those trips?

Depends. Less than 100km usual no stops unless its a piss stop.

If in a group when ever the group wants to stop. In my own I rarely stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

10 mile TT not a bad night for it (fast boys were in in under 22min)
    310653.jpg

28:06 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I cycled nicely up to Bloomfield in Stocking Lane for a lecture on Bulmer Hobson (very interesting) by Marnie Hay who wrote this http://www.amazon.com/Bulmer-Nationalist-Movement-Twentieth--Century-Ireland/dp/071907987X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402609776&sr=8-1&keywords=Bulmer+Hobson
    They seem to have moved it quite a way up the mountain since I drove there last.
    Nice wheeee down, though, only lessened by the fact that my front wheel is a little wockety and was hitting the brakes in spots when I braked, and I kept thinking about those four kids in Enniskerry back in the day whose brake blocks flew off, causing them to smash full speed into the monument on their two bikes.
    Nice cycle all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did my usual mid week spin out by Tallaght to Manor Kilbride and back. My first spin since doing the W100 on Sunday. 40km at 28km/h. Then a quick check on Joe Barr's progress in the RAAM. Kudos to Joe. Makes my spin look like a walk in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just back from a pre-work spin.
    Headed out at 7am, did Bellewstown Hill and headed for The Naul.
    The Drogheda side of The Naul that was nicely resurfaced last week is now a carpet of gravel.
    Was way too dangerous to cycle on so had to do a u-turn and head back down. :mad:
    AVOID!

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

and I kept thinking about those four kids in Enniskerry back in the day whose brake blocks flew off, causing them to smash full speed into the monument on their two bikes.
    Urban legend to stop kids speeding down hills or did it actually happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thargor wrote: »
    Urban legend to stop kids speeding down hills or did it actually happen?

It happened. Two boys and their girlfriends coming down the steep hill that goes up towards Knockree; the boys had the girls on their crossbars, and got up to such a speed that the brake blocks flew out. They didn't dare throw themselves off because there's a granite wall at the side of the road; local people thought that they were trying to circle the monument and get onto the Bray road, which slopes gently uphill and would allow them to slow to a halt. But they were going too fast to turn, and all four were killed when they hit the monument, a tragedy still remembered all these years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got out for a spin yesterday evening and found a nice little climb for myself. It was tough enough. My heart was pumping out through my chest!!!
    It hits 19+ % though.

Happy though with my average cadence of 65 for the segment with a 39/25

http://app.strava.com/segments/the-manulla-berg-3130213

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Finishing off a 200km spin yesterday in the Phoenix park about 9.30pm, final bit consisted of cycling the up the main strip towards castleknock, turning around at the last roundabout and heading back home.

What was so amazing was that at one end of the park there was a beautiful golden sunset through the trees, and at the other end, a clear blue sky with a full moon rising..possibly the coolest thing I've seen while cycling! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

G1032 wrote: »
    Got out for a spin yesterday evening and found a nice little climb for myself. It was tough enough. My heart was pumping out through my chest!!!
    It hits 19+ % though.

Happy though with my average cadence of 65 for the segment with a 39/25

http://app.strava.com/segments/the-manulla-berg-3130213

Looking forward to doing this one again myself tomorrow as I only managed to get up it in one go on my last attempt!

12 element wrote: »
    Looking forward to doing this one again myself tomorrow as I only managed to get up it in one go on my last attempt!
    :)

Cycled up it for the first time yesterday evening. I had driven down it a week ago and said I'd have to go back to see was it a tough climb. I was looking for a lower gear less than 100m in and it wasn't there!!!! Wouldn't want to meet a car on it though. Very narrow road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

G1032 wrote: »
    :)

Cycled up it for the first time yesterday evening. I had driven down it a week ago and said I'd have to go back to see was it a tough climb. I was looking for a lower gear less than 100m in and it wasn't there!!!! Wouldn't want to meet a car on it though. Very narrow road.

I've gone up 3 times and only met a car one so seems to be fairy quiet at least! Have you tried any of the climbs over towards Kiltimagh? Some of them look pretty tough on strava at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Went for my Friday morning spin, nice little spin, but seem to have damaged a bearing in my bottom bracket, nothing too major lad in bike shop said as long as i stay in the saddle on a lower gear i'll be fine until he can take it in for me(next Saturday)

90km @30.1km/hr

http://www.strava.com/activities/153013000

Happy enough with my spin, and spins so far this week, only another 50km's this week and it'll be 3 weeks in a row of 250km or more each a week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Done a nice easy flat 50k last night , tallaght celbridge maynooth lucan tallaght
    My first day out on the road in a few weeks since I broke my arm ,still a bit uncomfortable on bumpy bits

Today headed for the hills quick loop tallaght manor kilbride sallys gap military road back to tallaght

Struggled up the hills need to get my fitness back now

• Advertisement

12 element wrote: »
    I've gone up 3 times and only met a car one so seems to be fairy quiet at least! Have you tried any of the climbs over towards Kiltimagh? Some of them look pretty tough on strava at least!

I do a little bit around Kiltimagh alright but never saw any big climbs over there. In saying that I've never looked on Strava for segments around there either. I kind of end up going through Kiltimagh on my way home from say Swinford or Knock or whatever. Can you please post a couple of the climbs so I can head over sometime soon. Thanks.

Edit..... The Windy Gap from the Lahardan side is a nice climb for ya. Nice descent into Castlebar then for you as your reward!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement