Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

G1032 wrote: »
    I do a little bit around Kiltimagh alright but never saw any big climbs over there. In saying that I've never looked on Strava for segments around there either. I kind of end up going through Kiltimagh on my way home from say Swinford or Knock or whatever. Can you please post a couple of the climbs so I can head over sometime soon. Thanks.

Edit..... The Windy Gap from the Lahardan side is a nice climb for ya. Nice descent into Castlebar then for you as your reward!!

I have my eye on these two:
    http://www.strava.com/segments/6241180
    http://www.strava.com/segments/2030229
    Will probably attempt them tomorrow if the manula climb doesn't kill me first! Will post in this thread if I do.

Looking forward to trying the windy gap cycle just trying to build up the KM as I only got my bike in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

12 element wrote: »
    I have my eye on these two:
    http://www.strava.com/segments/6241180
    http://www.strava.com/segments/2030229
    Will probably attempt them tomorrow if the manula climb doesn't kill me first! Will post in this thread if I do.

Looking forward to trying the windy gap cycle just trying to build up the KM as I only got my bike in April.

Looking forward t

Great stuff. Goo find. Sunday morning for me so. Them two and Manulla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

12 element wrote: »

My legs have just said they want to retire just looking at those climbs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Went for my Friday morning spin, nice little spin, but seem to have damaged a bearing in my bottom bracket, nothing too major lad in bike shop said as long as i stay in the saddle on a lower gear i'll be fine until he can take it in for me(next Saturday)

Try a different shop. Ridiculous that they can't take it in for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Got out did ring of beara , hadn't been over reentrisk in a few years. Only 65km but felt like 120, haven't done hills yet this year.

Oh and I got my new weapon out on the road, post picture later.

By weapon I mean bike ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

shaka wrote: »
    Got out did ring of beara , hadn't been over reentrisk in a few years. Only 65km but felt like 120, haven't done hills yet this year.

Oh and I got my new weapon out on the road, post picture later.

By weapon I mean bike ;)

Was down there a couple of weeks ago. Healey's pass is class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

godtabh wrote: »
    Was down there a couple of weeks ago. Healey's pass is class

Will do it in morning if I can, if not will go out Sunday. Serious cycling down here, trying to get myself ready for rebel tour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

shaka wrote: »
    Will do it in morning if I can, if not will go out Sunday. Serious cycling down here, trying to get myself ready for rebel tour

I did it my last day which I regret. If I did earlier in my trip I would have done it from each side. The Glengariff side has loads of lovely hair pins.

Did 82km this morning. Missed Devils Elbow last weekend so made up for my sins

Planned something else but ended up doing this

http://www.strava.com/activities/153263187

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

If there wasn't enough climbing done last weekend, I hit the hills again today.
    The plan was to take it easy and enjoy the weather and scenery,but that went out the window fairly quick.

Firhouse, Ballinascorney, Military road, Sally Gap, Luggala, Ballinastoe, Enniskerry, Home.
    63km 1,179m climbing.

http://www.strava.com/activities/153340989

Now to veg out and watch Le Mans for the next 24hrs.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

nice relaxing spin to trim today 100+km
    http://www.strava.com/activities/153376990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

100km
    Nenagh Birdhill Limerick Parteen Clonlara Ballina Portroe Nenagh
    Nice spin. Havent been on bike much this year and nothing like that distance so took it very easy but great to get the miles back and always tough with the climbs from Ballina to Port to finish up with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Covered 3 counties today...

I'd love to say it's as good as it sounds but it's Dunboyne-Maynooth-Lucan-Strawberry beds-Castleknock-Dunboyne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Looking forward to doing that coast road back to the Cliffs of Moher for the last 2 weeks, brought my bike down to Galway on a Citylink last night, instead got woken at 7am to be told Id be hammering pins into the ground and tying string in the shape of new sheds with my uncles all day, ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Haven't been out this week due to having strained my unreconstructed knee last week but just got the following text from my new to cycling Dad.
    Completed round the lake tour
    40km in 2 hours
    Top speed 49.5km
    Ave. 20

Ahem.....squeeeeeeeeeee!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Took my hangover for a midday spin, Cruagh - Sallygap - Laragh - Sallygap and home. Cursed my way up Cruagh with a solemn promise to myself never to drink again, not to bad by the sallygap crossroads and thoroughly enjoyed the run to Laragh. Nice chat with a couple of people from reservoir cogs who came in via SM/SE and a crowd who were doing the Mick Byrne 200 route, so left feeling like a bit of a wimp. Lovely return trip feeling surprisingly fresh. Shower and a beer from the fridge to rehydrate. Ah well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

smacl wrote: »
    Took my hangover for a midday spin, Cruagh - Sallygap - Laragh - Sallygap and home. Cursed my way up Cruagh with a solemn promise to myself never to drink again, not to bad by the sallygap crossroads and thoroughly enjoyed the run to Laragh. Nice chat with a couple of people from reservoir cogs who came in via SM/SE and a crowd who were doing the Mick Byrne 200 route, so left feeling like a bit of a wimp. Lovely return trip feeling surprisingly fresh. Shower and a beer from the fridge to rehydrate. Ah well...

Climbing hills on a bike is the best hangover cure in the know universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Today I suffered like a dog in Ballyhoura. Left with an arse like a well tenderised steak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rush (Co Dublin) to Letterkenny (Co Donegal) yesterday. 226kms averaging 27.9. Got soaked to the skin going through Co Monaghan but otherwise a fairly pleasant ride. Reasonably flat with a few long drags. (I think it was my 2nd longest ride).

http://www.strava.com/activities/153283975

Rush (Co Dublin) to Letterkenny (Co Donegal) yesterday. 226kms averaging 27.9. Got soaked to the skin going through Co Monaghan but otherwise a fairly pleasant ride. Reasonably flat with a few long drags. (I think it was my 2nd longest ride).

http://www.strava.com/activities/153283975

Fair play. Did you do the return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    Fair play. Did you do the return?
    Yes - by car! :D

Long story short. Mrs WA was due to follow that evening with my clothes/toiletries etc. Her car broke down in Ardee. Rescue towed it to Dundalk. She had to get a taxi back to Dublin and set out the following morning in my car. Meanwhile I was stranded for the night in Donegal with nothing more than sweaty lycra and cycling shoes. Not pleasant.

It was Friday 13th after all I suppose! :)

• Advertisement

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

112k today
    Tallaght dunboyne summerhill naas Blessington and back to tallaght
    Lovely morning for it
    Ring of Kerry in a couple of weeks should be no bother

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

jober wrote: »
    112k today
    Tallaght dunboyne summerhill naas Blessington and back to tallaght
    Lovely morning for it
    Ring of Kerry in a couple of weeks should be no bother

That's a well planned spin :). Lovely bit of downhill home.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

bren_mc wrote: »
    Decided to commute in to the city centre today via the N2 rather than my usual R132 (that's the old N1). All going swimmingly until I get to the junction just before the M50. The sign says left for N2 / M50 and right for "Local Access". Figuring that as I've just been on the N2 for the last 20 km or so and "Local Access" doesn't sound too promising I take the left turn. Big mistake. It may not be "motorway" strictly speaking but it might as well be - three lanes of very fast moving traffic. And to cap it all I puncture about 500m down the road. Changing a tube on the hard shoulder with trucks whizzing by at 100kph+ is not the most pleasant experience.:(

My advice to anyone going this way - when you to get that sign, take the right turn. Just checked it on google street view and there seems to be a dedicated cycle path to get you back on to the N2 shortly afterwards. I think I'll send an email to the local authority suggesting the put a sign up for cyclists to turn right.
    I nearly made the same mistake myself once but a genuinely helpful motorist pulled up to warn me when I was on the on ramp.

The local access road goes for about a km until a little access track brings you to a zany corkscrew flyover bridge which in turn deposits you outside Joe Duffy BMW.
    lennymc wrote: »
    @bren_mc - its just as bonkers coming the other way aswell!! No signs for cycle access anywhere. First time I went that way I ended up on the main road, having to cross a couple of lanes of traffic. Fun. As rollingscone says, if you stay on the old n2, down by the dogs charity place, there is a footbridge that brings you over the road and leaves you out by joe duffy.

For future reference, I turn east at Kilshane Cross and then south at the roundabout at the west end of Dublin Airport. That road goes straight into Finglas Village.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.4267487,-6.3288788/53.38817,-6.2990097/@53.4074948,-6.3441473,13z/data=!4m5!4m4!1m0!1m0!3e1!5i1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

House..killenagh...ballycanew..gorey..arklow... woodenbridge..aughrim...carnew..up by sliabh buigh..camolin...ballycanew..killenagh..home 99.6 km let's call it a ton.! average 23kmph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Well attended charity spin in Drogheda this morning.
    Drogheda-Dunleer-Castlebellingham-Ardee-Collon-Slane-Donore-Duleek-Home
    88km door to door.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Went from Slish Wood to Dromahair via the improved boardwalk from Slish Wood to Innisfree on the mountain bike this morning, met 1 person on the way over and 2 on the way back, loved the peace and quiet, and nice not having to dodge walkers and dogs on the normal forest trails.
    Not that I have a problem with walkers and dogs, just tend to screw up my rhythm as I don't want to hit them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

Only new to cycling and getting familiar with my bike.
    Went for short spin today. Legs felt good but wind was never behind me. http://www.strava.com/activities/153785759
    Don't know if I will every manage the distances some of ye lads cover
    but I'm going to enjoy trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

...... Meanwhile I was stranded for the night in Donegal with nothing more than sweaty lycra and cycling shoes. Not pleasant....

Would have fitted in well with the locals then !!!!

Was in Donegal myself Friday as part of a 6d Sligo - Sligo loop mainly following the Wild Atlantic Way with a detour via Glenveagh NP. Roughly 700km & 6,600m. Decent enough weather other than Monday afternoon thunderstorms.

Mon: Sligo - Killybegs. 120kms - 1000m. Drowned in a thunderstorm outside Mullaghmore.
    Tue: Killybegs - Kincasslagh. 110kms - 1400m. Short testy ramp to Sliabh Liag. Great seafood chowder at Viking House Hotel.
    Wed: Kincasslagh - Milford. 120km, 1150m. Detour via Glenveagh past Errigal. Some excellent scenery.
    Thu: Milford - Culdaff. 130km, 1250m. Up to Banba's crown. Stayed in a great B&B at Tremone Bay.
    Fri: Culdaff - Donegal. 120km, 900m. Came down east Donegal with the odd border crossing.
    Sat: Donegal - Sligo. 100km, 900m. Backroads towards Pettigo, Belleek, Manorhamilton & into Sligo - smashing cycle route. Came across Lakeland CC event at Lough Melvin.

Today is TV sport day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Went up Stocking Lane and on up to Kippure mast then down to meet the missus in Glendalough. First time to cycle up there. Have to say Stocking lane was tougher than the mast climb, at least I could see the top for the mast. I had no clue when SL would finish. I was under pressure for a while but I kept spinning and got there.
    I'm buying a new bike in a few weeks time, was thinking save hard, get something really light, Carbon, Ultegra, Mavics..... I'll climb like a goat.
    Today I was just delighted to have a granny ring.

Great long descent to Laragh although there was a stiff headwind- maybe no harm, I'd have been hanging on for dear life if there was a tailwind coming down some of that!!!
    Anyway, the weather was absolutely perfect and the Gap was stunning. I'll have to make it a more regular spin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement