Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

113km today and my longest spin so far. Home - Tallaght - Blessington - Hollywood - Wicklow Gap - Laragh - Sally Gap - N81 - Brittas - Home.

Some tough climbs but I had overestimated the Wicklow Gap and underestimated the climb to Sally Gap - especially the steep section by Glenmacnass but I had no need for the granny ring (32) and seldom used the 28 but was glad of it at times.

My main complaint is slight sunburn. I'm happy with my average of 24.6km/h considering the climbs.

My mother had invited us for dinner this afternoon which was a God send. I ate like a savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I think today may have been my first 100km. Smithfield to Wicklow town and back, around 110km in total.

Relaxing now with some dinner and a glass of red.

Legs are like jelly. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

crosstownk wrote: »

My main complaint is slight sunburn.
    Yep, I have two lovely pink knees and a matching nose!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I'm buying a new bike in a few weeks time, was thinking save hard, get something really light, Carbon, Ultegra, Mavics..... I'll climb like a goat.
    Today I was just delighted to have a granny ring.

Methinks the key to climbing like a goat lies not so much in the first line as in the second (and of course Rule 5).;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Yep, I have two lovely pink knees and a matching nose!!!

I've pink arms, pink knees and a pink right calf as I was heading East up the Wicklow Gap with the sun blazing down on me.

I must remember the sun cream................. next time...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Maynooth to Laragh over Sally Gap yesterday and back over Wicklow Gap today. First time over either for me.

http://www.strava.com/activities/153853874
    http://www.strava.com/activities/153390425

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Very nice route. May steal that myself. Is it 65km out or 65 out and back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

crosstownk wrote: »
    113km today and my longest spin so far. Home - Tallaght - Blessington - Hollywood - Wicklow Gap - Laragh - Sally Gap - N81 - Brittas - Home.

Some tough climbs but I had overestimated the Wicklow Gap and underestimated the climb to Sally Gap - especially the steep section by Glenmacnass but I had no need for the granny ring (32) and seldom used the 28 but was glad of it at times.

My main complaint is slight sunburn. I'm happy with my average of 24.6km/h considering the climbs.

My mother had invited us for dinner this afternoon which was a God send. I ate like a savage.

24.6km/h you just made my enemies list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Orion wrote: »
    Maynooth to Laragh over Sally Gap yesterday and back over Wicklow Gap today. First time over either for me.

http://www.strava.com/activities/153853874
    http://www.strava.com/activities/153390425
    And a few sasperella's to cool down after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

nice cycle up to 3 rock/ticknock. up and down 3 times. over 1000m in just a 1h30m at 21 average speed

strava.com/activities/154027363

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Very nice route. May steal that myself. Is it 65km out or 65 out and back?

It was 72 there and 65 back. The Wicklow Gap route is shorter but a steeper incline at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BikingIsBest

Lovely day for a cycle today
    52.39kms rochestown-passage west-monkstown-carrigaline-crosshaven and back to rochestown
    24km an hour average
    2 hours 11mins
    Max 50.9 kms an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Ha! You might have seen me BikingIsBest. I did a very similar route this afternoon, but it took me much longer. I was in a red long sleeve top and blue helmet, riding a blue hybrid.

I haven't cycled in two months. My sleep cycle got really messed up and I didn't force myself out (which would have helped with the sleep.) I got a good rest last night and decided I'd finally go out for a cycle almost two months since my last.

The longest cycle I did previously was about 32km. I decided (perhaps foolishly) I'd aim for 50km today, with a stop for coffee in Crosshaven. I set out, and had trouble keeping my heart rate down at the level I wanted. I was pushing too hard and I knew it, especially after a two month break. At about the 25km point my legs felt like they had lost all energy. My heart rate was fine, I didn't feel tired in my chest or head, my legs just felt completely drained. I knew I was closing in on my cake and coffee break so I just forced myself to pedal, coast for a bit, pedal again, coast for a bit and repeat. I managed to get to the cafe at 31 or so KM.

I spent just under an hour stopped, having two coffees and a square of cake. I knew it was a long stop but I didn't realise I spent that long stopped. It was desperately needed though. With my legs drained I was genuinely worried how I was going to manage the Strava categorised climb on the way back. My parents' house is near it so if worst came to worst I'd break off, drop my bike there and either get the bus home or take another break. I didn't do that though, I powered through though. My average time on that hill is 13 minutes, this time I did it in 16 minutes. I thought I was going to drop at some points. It was hell, but I managed. :D

Straight after that hill is a 3km descent into Douglas. My legs stiffened/cramped up at this point and I couldn't ease them out. Luckily I had no muscle spasms. I stopped for a minute in Douglas and stretched out my legs. After that it was an easy cool down ride from Douglas to town. I had done 50km (with a coffee break.) :D I'm delighted. And going to have a big dinner now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Lovely day for a cycle today
    Just fabulous today - My cycle was just my usual 8k commute home, but it was glorious. You couldn't pay me to sit in a cage on a day like today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

This weather brings out all sorts. Had some scrote swing at me and miss on the way home today, I seen what was about to happen and had pulled out my water bottle. Poor chap got a spray in the face for his troubles! Think I might have to change my route to work slightly for a few days! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Fantastic day out at the Tour de Lough Corrib Charity Cycle. Beautiful day not as much wind as I had anticipated. Great to meet some really nice Boardsies. Will defo be back again!

http://www.strava.com/activities/153952221

First time cycling to work since April 2013 (and first time cycling to this place of work). 90km for the day, average of 25kph on the way in but I bonked on the way home and finished on 22kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Got out for a short 24km spin there earlier at 7.30 when it cooled down, 53.21 min with an average of 26.2 kph so quiet happy with myself. All is well with the shoulder and its giving me no grief so happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

jgreene83 wrote: »
    This weather brings out all sorts. Had some scrote swing at me and miss on the way home today, I seen what was about to happen and had pulled out my water bottle. Poor chap got a spray in the face for his troubles! Think I might have to change my route to work slightly for a few days! :P

Had the exact same thing a few weeks back. Bunch of teenagers/scumbags sitting outside local chippers. One clown decided it would be a laugh to walk across the road and swing at me. I too could see from a mile away. Nice face full of water, and a big cheer from his mates. He walked back over to them with his head down.

****n scummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

28 km this evening, up the the Howth summit car park twice once from Sutton and once from the village and back along the coast to Portmarnock. 341m climbed and 24kmph average with 16 PRs including knocking 30 seconds off the Sutton to Summit climb. Fabulous evening to be a cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice spin yesterday evening after work, Rathfarnham, Sallygap, and back for 41k at 22kph in glorious weather. Only downside was descending on the way back with the low sun into the eyes. Not to bad on the Military road, but made the Cruagh road descent a bit nasty in spots, moving from deep shade to full on sun in the eyes and back. Must invest in a peaked cycling cap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RainyDay wrote: »
    Just fabulous today - My cycle was just my usual 8k commute home, but it was glorious. You couldn't pay me to sit in a cage on a day like today.

Its much easier getting up at 5 am to go for a.cycle on mornings like this.

42km at 28.6km/h with 530m of climbing. Now in bed with my 2,year old reading Thomas the thank engine. Great start to the day

fairplay Lyaiera, sounds like it was a hard day out but you enjoyed it, if you can you should go for 15-20 km spin it will help the legs, no to taxing though!
    well done again.

not yet wrote: »
    Covered 3 counties today...

I'd love to say it's as good as it sounds but it's Dunboyne-Maynooth-Lucan-Strawberry beds-Castleknock-Dunboyne.
    morning not yet, any idea, what your distance travelled was on that 3 county spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Quick 15k on the MTB in the evening sunshine to collect my car from the garage. Ave 22.6 km/h, ascent 128m.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Bloggsie wrote: »
    morning not yet, any idea, what your distance travelled was on that 3 county spin?

Hi Bloggsie,

I'm guessing at 10k to Maynooth-7k on to Lucan-12k on to the park and 10k home to Dunboyne approx 40k but it's a lovely spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Poor cyclist came off her bike along the canal at Harold's Cross bridge this morning.
    Around 20 cyclists set off as the lights turned green, she was one of the first but her bike wasn't properly in gear, the chain slipped, her foot slipped and she took a massive tumble, hitting her head off the road (thankfully her helmet took the brunt) and grazing limbs.

What was wonderful (not for her!) was that at least 7 cyclists stopped their journey, put their bikes up against the railings and helped her. I picked up bits from her bag off the road, someone else picked up her bike, another girl crouched down and held the girl's head in her hands as blood dripped onto her from the girl's nose, hands and knees, another called an ambulance (she took a massive knock to the head), another guy gave her his water.
    The cyclist was really shocked, but I think she'll be ok.
    Anyway - if I had a similar fall I'd hope those same people were around me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

smacl wrote: »
    moving from deep shade to full on sun in the eyes and back. Must invest in a peaked cycling cap.
    I use one when it's rainy and sunny, the peak helps alot.

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I use one when it's rainy and sunny, the peak helps alot.
    it is also great for minding your head from the sun, if your a folically challenged individual, the last thing you need is sunburn lines matching your cycle helmet on yere bonce!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I (now) wear a cap all year around. Helps keep the sweat out of the eyes on days like this also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement