Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Poor cyclist came off her bike along the canal at Harold's Cross bridge this morning.
    Around 20 cyclists set off as the lights turned green, she was one of the first but her bike wasn't properly in gear, the chain slipped, her foot slipped and she took a massive tumble, hitting her head off the road (thankfully her helmet took the brunt) and grazing limbs.

What was wonderful (not for her!) was that at least 7 cyclists stopped their journey, put their bikes up against the railings and helped her. I picked up bits from her bag off the road, someone else picked up her bike, another girl crouched down and held the girl's head in her hands as blood dripped onto her from the girl's nose, hands and knees, another called an ambulance (she took a massive knock to the head), another guy gave her his water.
    The cyclist was really shocked, but I think she'll be ok.
    Anyway - if I had a similar fall I'd hope those same people were around me.
    This isn't the place...but for me personally, this is exactly why I wear a helmet. Not to protect against cars hitting me at 50km/h+, but to protect my head from impacts when I'm not moving overly fast (~30km/h) (which it has done in the past). Good to hear she wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

148k today
    My pasty white skin wasn't built for that sun got burnt even with my factor 50

Tallaght rathoath duleek drogheda clogherhead then stramullen naul St Margareta and back to tallaght
    Got lost bout 4 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Hill repeats for me today around Garristown, followed by a super aero position run down from Garristown to the Rathbeale road (about 8k) = stretched out hamstrings. And home trying to keep my avg above 28kph. 40K with 400m climbing. Very sweaty after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

36kms this evening. Greystones Rathnew Newtownmountkennedy Greystones. Average speed of 26kph. Beautiful, beautiful evening for a spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

A bit late, but only back in the country.
    Took part in the Limburgs Mooiste in Holland at the weekend. Over 15,000 cyclists participating in lots of different road and mountain bike distances. An absolutely amazing experience.
    For all those who think that Holland is flat...you might be surprised!! 180km of climbing!!!

http://www.strava.com/activities/153453624

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

34KM from Bray>Greystones>Kilcoole and back, had to hop off at the top of that bastard of a hill from Greystones Lidl back to Bray for a quick puke in the ditch, my first ever exercise induced vomit. It is hot in Wicklow this evening, Kilcoole beach is in the middle of nowhere and it was packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

18.9 km @ 27.65 km/h, average heart rate: 156, max. gradient: 14%, bugs consumed: 2, slow tractors during descent: 1 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Wow what a night for a spin.

Out by the yellow house up the Cruagh road, to Johnny Foxes then back by stepaside / dundrum to Terenure. Last blast of climbing before the Tour de Burren 100km on Sat which will be my longest spin to date.

400m climbing over 30km at 25kmph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Short cycle on my new bike after I picked it up, lovely evening for it.
    Trying to work out these new fangled integrated brake and gear shifters, grinning like a chesire cat.

311242.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Set myself a new pb into work today - finally beat the hour if only by 2 seconds.

http://www.strava.com/activities/154964889

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Climbing up to the Summit at Howth yesterday evening and about 5/6 young kids sitting on a wall eating a picnic just down from the Summit. Just as I past I get a big cheer and a shout to "keep going, go on Nicolas Roche"..... Brought a smile to my face
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

86k out to Howth, glorious weather and uneventful spin until my descent down towards Sutton. After the first drop into the 'bowl' (that little ascent in the middle of the descent - not describing that very well), anyway touching 55kph there and a BMW X5 I think (Chelsea tractor type off road yoke) pulls out from the far side of the road going in my direction, due to my speed I have to tip the brakes as the car came close to the kerb thus it felt like I was being squashed. I gestured and then moved into her line of vision in her mirror and gestured again - she waved back, it was the kinda wave like 'yeah lovely day isn't it' - she didn't realise the danger she put me in. Great day to top up the tan lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

t'bear wrote: »
    86k out to Howth, glorious weather and uneventful spin until my descent down towards Sutton. After the first drop into the 'bowl' (that little ascent in the middle of the descent - not describing that very well), anyway touching 55kph there and a BMW X5 I think (Chelsea tractor type off road yoke) pulls out from the far side of the road going in my direction, due to my speed I have to tip the brakes as the car came close to the kerb thus it felt like I was being squashed. I gestured and then moved into her line of vision in her mirror and gestured again - she waved back, it was the kinda wave like 'yeah lovely day isn't it' - she didn't realise the danger she put me in. Great day to top up the tan lines.
    twice I've had cars pull out in front of me going down the opposite side into howth village and doing about 60kph it's very scary and there's not a thing you can do going at that speed I don't go as fast anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BikingIsBest

Another lovely day for a cycle again today 20+ degrees good thing I put suncream on before I went out I would of definitely got burnt if I didn't.
    Went out and did a few laps of the walk/cycle way between rochestown and blackrock castle I also took a spin down the line to passage west too
    47.38kms
    Average : 23km/hr
    Max 38.7km/hr
    2 hours 4 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Pleasant spin up Sally Gap from Enniskerry, and back again. Started at eight, and it wasn't in any way dark when I got back.

Amazing that it takes an hour to get to the gap (yes, am slow), and only 15 mins less to get back again... must brake less!

Picture at the Gap

10389175_10152170248667894_5760292793876972759_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Been moving to a new apartment so I've little to no time on the bike. Made the most of it this evening. 23km with 670m of climbing. Wasp got caught up in my unzipped jersey on the last descent. Got a serious fright when it started stinging me. http://www.strava.com/activities/155137669/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

13km around Castletown this evening just for the craic! Probably the most eccentric looking strava upload I've done so far!!

Avg 13.1Km/h Max 37.8Km/h http://www.strava.com/activities/155208916

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Had a godawful cycle at the tri I did at the weekend (20km in 46:57, that's embarrassingly slow considering the fact that I do actually own a road bike), so need to start putting some more work in! Lovely evening for it this evening so headed out as soon as the Holland-Australia game was over. 31km in 1:24 (1:15 ish moving time, gotta love all those north London traffic lights) - felt pretty good throughout and probably could have kept going for a good bit more, but the couch and the second match of the night were calling!

Home to a Whole Foods meal deal because my OH is awesome and picked some up after his cycle earlier, and now being quite amused at how badly Spain are playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

40km in 1 hour 45 mins.

Stillorgan to crumlin, around the city, on to the East Link and out to Sandymount on to sandy cove abs beck to Stilorgan.

Avg of 24km/hr.
    Traffic was v bad around Sandymount & sandycove and that slowed me down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

19km each way from home to Swords where I work. It's hassle having to deal with Dublin City rush hour traffic but it beats sitting in a car in this weather. A spin to Wicklow tomorrow evening might be in order for a breath of fresh air and some decent scenery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

25km including a hill which has previously beaten me. My average speed is up, feeling less jelly legged after cycles and starting to think a lot more while I'm on the bike which I feel is helping. Signed up for one of the an post cycle series too. Plumped for the 100km which was my goal distance from the start so if I get that done in reasonable time I'd be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

After a few pints and very little sleep last night, i went into work fair tired...

After work the weather was too nice so managed to pull out an 87.1km spin at 30.8km/hr

http://www.strava.com/activities/155217873

Also hit about 12 PR's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

36kms this evening. Greystones Rathnew Newtownmountkennedy Greystones. Average speed of 26kph. Beautiful, beautiful evening for a spin!
    I love cycling in Co Wicklow, i dont get there anywhere near enough, I say it was gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So on Tuesday night my brain decided that instead of sleeping I should lie awake deeply anxious and feeling like I did while plummeting down a rockface once.

Based on this solid base and a pissy morning in work I got out of the house in the early afternoon with my shiny new Carbon Seatpost (and the rest of my bike obviously), decided I was going to head up to Drogheda as a friend of mine is living there and planning to cycle to Dublin on the regular so I decided to recce the route.

Took a wrong turn in town and ended out going out through Finglas over the Willy Wonka designed ped/cycle flyover at Joe Duffy Motors and along the local access road towards Ashbourne, before leaping at the chance to turn off through St Margarets (super uncomfortable road) to the R132 and onto Swords, the surface on the R132 varies between amazing (40kph on the flat without too much effort) to rougher than a sandpaper massage (a life sucking 24kph coming down hills) made it to Drogheda with the help of a few comforting downslopes over the last 20km in 69km at 24K/ph, then Strava crashed.

Took the direct 52km route back to Dublin on the R132, was fine as far as the turn off for Rush but then started to die slowly (ever get that feeling where you're going so slowly and heavily you're convinced you must have a flat at the back?) finished off the second bidon between Swords and Santry and had to stop at a service station for a Lucozade and a bar.

Struggling through the last 20km home I took a disastrous wrong turn into Airside and carried on for far too long before turning back. In the last part of Santry some studenty type on a hub geared Pompino started 'racing' me, i.e. catching up at the lights and either jumping them or arriving at them with enough momentum to carry through as they changed.....grrr arrr.

Town was fine and going up that hill behind the City Council offices standing outof the saddle gave me delusions of strength and got me home.

125km including wrong turns...beast of a day.

Commute home yesterday evening. Less than 5 minutes slower than going in which isn't bad considering it's 230m more uphill and it was sooooooo hot. Another pb for me to beat :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/155114823

Orion wrote: »
    Commute home yesterday evening. Less than 5 minutes slower than going in which isn't bad considering it's 230m more uphill and it was sooooooo hot. Another pb for me to beat :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/155114823

That's a great distance for a commute, can't say I envy you having to go down the quays every day though. Does it open up on the N4 or do you spend a lot of time dealing with slowtorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

So on Tuesday night my brain decided that instead of sleeping I should lie awake deeply anxious and feeling like I did while plummeting down a rockface once.

Based on this solid base and a pissy morning in work I got out of the house in the early afternoon with my shiny new Carbon Seatpost (and the rest of my bike obviously), decided I was going to head up to Drogheda as a friend of mine is living there and planning to cycle to Dublin on the regular so I decided to recce the route.

Took a wrong turn in town and ended out going out through Finglas over the Willy Wonka designed ped/cycle flyover at Joe Duffy Motors and along the local access road towards Ashbourne, before leaping at the chance to turn off through St Margarets (super uncomfortable road) to the R132 and onto Swords, the surface on the R132 varies between amazing (40kph on the flat without too much effort) to rougher than a sandpaper massage (a life sucking 24kph coming down hills) made it to Drogheda with the help of a few comforting downslopes over the last 20km in 69km at 24K/ph, then Strava crashed.

Took the direct 52km route back to Dublin on the R132, was fine as far as the turn off for Rush but then started to die slowly (ever get that feeling where you're going so slowly and heavily you're convinced you must have a flat at the back?) finished off the second bidon between Swords and Santry and had to stop at a service station for a Lucozade and a bar.

Struggling through the last 20km home I took a disastrous wrong turn into Airside and carried on for far too long before turning back. In the last part of Santry some studenty type on a hub geared Pompino started 'racing' me, i.e. catching up at the lights and either jumping them or arriving at them with enough momentum to carry through as they changed.....grrr arrr.

Town was fine and going up that hill behind the City Council offices standing outof the saddle gave me delusions of strength and got me home.

125km including wrong turns...beast of a day.
    there should be a rule that you can slap numpties who do the thing the "studenty type" did. I agree & I wouldnt have the stamina or anything like the average kms per hour that most do here & I find it very annoying to be sprinted past by some tool & only to ease past them while they are blowing out of their h**e 100-200 yards up the road.

That's a great distance for a commute, can't say I envy you having to go down the quays every day though. Does it open up on the N4 or do you spend a lot of time dealing with slowtorists?

I don't do it everyday - don't do it half as much as I should. Trying to do it twice a week though to keep the legs spinning. As fitness improves I'll try to up that.

N4 is fine once you get past the slip from the M50. Biggest problem is approaching Palmerstown - the slip roads can be dodgy trying to get back over to the buslane/hard shoulder and then again to get back to the lane for the N4 instead of going on to the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Tuesday night,
    Blue Light-Fox's-Devils Elbow-Double Wall-Djouce-Lugala-Sally Gap-Kippure-Featherbeds-Dublin

77.3km - 1,544m climbing

Got top ten on the full wall which i was very happy with. Just over a min faster than my previous best.

http://www.strava.com/activities/154816206

Last night
    Cruagh - down Liam Horner -Up top half of the wall, Djouce-Lugala-Sally Gap-Featherbeds-Dublin

75.0km - 1,327m climbing

Legs weren't feeling great but it was a lovely evening and glad I did it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/155245152

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    I don't do it everyday - don't do it half as much as I should. Trying to do it twice a week though to keep the legs spinning. As fitness improves I'll try to up that.

N4 is fine once you get past the slip from the M50. Biggest problem is approaching Palmerstown - the slip roads can be dodgy trying to get back over to the buslane/hard shoulder and then again to get back to the lane for the N4 instead of going on to the motorway.

Yeah I've had that experience on the N3 and N4. If they could make a cycle flyover/underpass then they could legitimately be seen as cycling infrastructure.

Last time I rode the N4 out to Naas Hospital i was doing 50KPH for extended periods of time on my commuter (last leg after the exits thin out a bit).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement