Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

dancrowley wrote: »
    ... ~80km done, iced tea with the gang .......

Is that a code for pint bottle of Bulmers in Qatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

blobbie wrote: »
    Is that a code for pint bottle of Bulmers in Qatar?

Haha! Well, considering it was about 8am when we got to the café, I'm going to say no...

Magners, as it is out here, costs QAR60 = Euro12.12/bottle...! :eek:

I nearly hit a little baby deer near Enniskerry coming from Kiltiernan yesterday. The thing was about the size of a small terrier and decided to have a little wander in the middle of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Really sore this morning. Didn't realise how badly burnt I got yesterday until I woke up today. Just a quick 60km with 810m of climbing at 28.9km/h. http://www.strava.com/activities/156680753

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

First time on the bike in months due to work commitments, delighted to be back at it on such a nice day. Headed out to test the legs with no real plan in mind, but hoping to maybe manage a gentle 100km. Ended up leaving it at 50, feeling a bit weak and woozy, water bottles and gels all gone and legs fairly rubbery! Think I underestimated the combined effect of losing bike fitness, putting on weight and the heat out there! Still I managed a fairly normal pace for me, 26kph with a couple of rolling hills. Will be a long road ahead in the next couple of months to hopefully drop about 5kg and get back to my previous level, but sure that's what its all about. Aiming for an audax or 2 before the end of the season, thoroughly enjoyed the couple I did before. Currently in the recovery position on the grass in my back garden, trying to convince the Minister for Finance that its the bikes fault and I need a new one, she remains skeptical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

80km today. I was in the mood for something challenging so I set off out the N81 to Brittas, over Sally Gap and then on to the mast at Kippure. That last 500m to the mast is seriously tough and the descent is not one that I'd feel comfortable with at any decent speed as there's plenty of loose gravel about. I came back the same way and managed an average of 24.4km/h which is good for me considering the climbs along the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Drove down to Blessington to do a lap of Blessington, Manor Kilbride, Sally Gap, Laragh, Wicklow Gap, Valleymount and back to Blessington. Longest ride I've done this year (by almost 30km, previous best was about 50), and by far the toughest. Was relying on commutes from D15 to Dublin CC and back again to tide me over, and it helped, but seriously bombed on the way back after the Wicklow Gap. Strava recording here, which actually helped in hindsight, as several improved segments which I really didn't expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Tired legs today but did a loop around stocking lane -> johnny foxes -> lamb doyles -> marlay, and then a final little loop up edmonstown and back by marlay again.

Towards the end of my spin I had a right turning car (facing me, so going from right to left) cut across me as I was heading towards a crossroad at 50km/h. Terrible misjudgement on their part, as they seemed to see me clearly and wait at first before deciding there was time to go; and to make it worse they slowed almost to a stop halfway through the turn. Shouted a half hearted "what are you doing?" at them :pac: Few minutes later I was climbing up edmonstown at a decent pace and a car overtook me on a blind corner part way up, passing within inches of my right side. Think I intended shouting "move over" at him, but it came out as more of an angry battle cry than anything else.

Then I got home and realised I had a slow puncture in my front tyre. A tiny piece of glass in a pre-existing small cut was the culprit.

All that aside, the weather was lovely and there were lots of cyclists about. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

hueylewis wrote: »

Towards the end of my spin I had a right turning car (facing me, so going from right to left) cut across me as I was heading towards a crossroad at 50km/h. Terrible misjudgement on their part, as they seemed to see me clearly and wait at first before deciding there was time to go;

Agreed - poor judgement. Most motorists, IMO, see a cyclist and assume that it is traveling slowly and don't expect a bike to be moving at 50km/h plus. And while it's poor judgment, I slow when approaching a junction. It makes it easier to stop/divert if things go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

crosstownk wrote: »
    Agreed - poor judgement. Most motorists, IMO, see a cyclist and assume that it is traveling slowly and don't expect a bike to be moving at 50km/h plus. And while it's poor judgment, I slow when approaching a junction. It makes it easier to stop/divert if things go wrong.

You're right. I'm not normally flying through junctions like that; the lights had been green for some time so I was pedalling to make sure I'd get through before they started changing. The odd part is just how late they left it. I was of course keeping an eye on the queue of cars waiting for the filter or a gap, and the car in question seemed to be waiting for me before changing their mind at the last minute to take a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I only did a 14km bikeless cycle today around Howth head. Twisted my foot quite badly. Finished the ru...bikeless cycle and saw lots of content roadies lounging in the harbour.

Moral of the story is don't cycle without a bicycle. You'll only end up injured dirty and looking uncool next to posh roadies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

80ish km today from Waterford to Mahon Falls and back. Didn't ever climb Mahon Falls in the past and was a bit apprehensive in heading there with the club. With very little cycling in the past 4-6 weeks I had it in the back of my mind to turn back if I struggled. Well, it was a beautiful day, had a good breakfast and ended up being the third person of 30 to make it to the top without stopping. Bit of sunburn too but a really enjoyable spin in a sadistic way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

A mind numbing 120km with 2500m climbing around Howth.

Last big hill session before La Marmotte.

https://www.strava.com/activities/156395232

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

cheerspal wrote: »

Christ that's some commitment. Looks like you went to Howth and couldn't find your way off the lump. I love my climbing but I'd go slightly wrong in the head trying that many hill repeats in one session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Christ that's some commitment. Looks like you went to Howth and couldn't find your way off the lump. I love my climbing but I'd go slightly wrong in the head trying that many hill repeats in one session.

Cheers.

I miss calculated and had to go up the nearest hill and back again to break 2500m. There was no way I was going home without breaking that!

I was with a friend for the first 1500 then stuck in some music for the rest. Got burnt like an idiot aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

cheerspal wrote: »

I live in Howth and always said to myself I'd love to do something similar to this, now you've just given me another little push to actually do it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I went out for a Sunday spin with two friends today, one really fit, one unfit and me in the middle. The really fit guy promised to take it easy, as did I but secretly I was terrified of being shamed by my unfit friend pulling away from me on his aircraft carrier of a mountain bike. I needn't have worried though. Unfit friend struggled with hills I don't give a second thought to. We stopped quite often so he could get his breath back and were going at a slower pace than I would and it meant I barely broke a sweat. My heart rate monitor shows me having an average bpm of a cycle to a picnic. I am incredibly pleased at how my fitness has progressed. And of course me and fit friend are delighted with unfit friend for powering through. A few more cycles like today and he'll see improvement as quick as I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

Unfortunately didn't get out today, tweaked something in my back yesterday so decided to give it a miss, should be okay for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Our own annual club cycle yesterday. Very enjoyable I must say, although I was a ball of stress in the morning - it's nice when everything goes well on the day and the good weather is a bonus :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/156867176

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BMKN

Did a 62km cycle up Sally gap and through Enniskerry 995m elevation and average 25.2Kph on my own so pretty chuffed considering about 40k of that was climbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Really struggled today for some reason legs just didn't feel great

Headed from tallaght to manor kilbride on up to sallys gap(should of turned back home as didn't feel right) headed on to Laragh and stopped for a drink and a bite to eat(thought that mite stop the jelly legs I was getting) headed up Wicklow gap but ended up having to stop half way up for a few mins,made my way to Blessington and then home

Done 101Km very slowly and painfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

First evening on bike since last Tuesday evening due to spending the last week in the bog. Only 30km but it loosened up the legs. Had set a target of 100km for last week but that didn't work out. Was beginning to miss get out for a spin so glad I got out this evening.:)

http://www.strava.com/activities/157276484

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got out for 5:10am this morning for an hour of a spin up the Military road. Stuck in traffic on the way back, major sheepfest in progress turning my downhill into a slalom. Really enjoyed it, must try to make a habit of the early mornings.

And for anyone descending the Military road to Stocking lane, there was a load of broken glass at the junction of Cruagh this morning so take it handy.

I just cycled from cork city to my parents place up Maryborough hill. I knew it would be tough but didn't realise how tough. I had to get off and push a couple of times and rest even more times.

I had planned on leaving my rucksack outside their front door and heading out to Crosshaven before coming back when they're awake to let me in. Instead I'm picking up the WiFi from outside the front door and going to go in when they're up to get a coffee and refill the water bottle.

I think I need to add more hills to my training route. Any step gradient has me off and pushing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Any step gradient has me off and pushing.

What's your lowest gear? Maybe a wider cassette would make life easier, though hills with a rucksack can be awkward. Panniers help this a fair bit, as you can go slower without having your balance compromised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

smacl wrote: »
    Got out for 5:10am this morning for an hour of a spin up the Military road. Stuck in traffic on the way back, major sheepfest in progress turning my downhill into a slalom. Really enjoyed it, must try to make a habit of the early mornings.

And for anyone descending the Military road to Stocking lane, there was a load of broken glass at the junction of Cruagh this morning so take it handy.

Fair play to getting out to Military Road. Should really make an effort to head out that way but its a trade off between distance traveled horizontally and vertically

47km done with 445m of climbing at 30.1km/h.

smacl wrote: »
    What's your lowest gear? Maybe a wider cassette would make life easier, though hills with a rucksack can be awkward. Panniers help this a fair bit, as you can go slower without having your balance compromised.

I have no idea what my lowest gear is. The bike is a 21 speed entry level Felt hybrid from 2011. I like it and I'm heavy and not very fit so I'm going to keep training before replacing gear.

The plan is to mini holiday in my parents place. It's not far from where I live but it means less cycling through the city and suburbs to get onto interesting roads. I'll just do less costal routes while I'm out here over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Enniskerry out and back this morning.
    Work has scuppered any evening spins and commuting for me this week but I'm determined to reach 1,000kms for the month. Damn you Strava!!

92km done today on the cycle to and from work. No bonk on the way home this week, 24.3 kph average overall (was 25 kph on the way in).

I found last week after my cycle to work that I've hated the drive every other day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Got out to do 39.32 km with 310m gain in 1hr 29min with an average speed of 26.5 km/h which im happy enough with. Aiming to try chop a few minutes off next time round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement