Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I was up and out early today, on the road by 6.30am or so. I've cycled in rain before but never done a training/fitness cycle in it, just commutes. I decided to stop being fair weather about it and get out. I was a little worried about grip and braking distance on the downhills so took them easy, it didn't stop me clocking up my highest peak speed ever though.

All in all, I did just under 40km. I stopped for less than ten minutes to get something in a shop and stuff my face with some biscuits after 30km or so. I was out for less than two hours in total and I was actually impressed by my average speed (you wouldn't be, but I am. :P )

Once I was wet enough to stop noticing the wheel throwing water up on my arse I was grand. It even stopped raining on my return at some point but I have no idea when. My Lidl cheapy jacket failed so now I have to debate going out over the next few days with just my long sleeved jersey, which I'll probably do seeing as I was soaked through anyway. Unless anyone has a serious warning against that.

Still, a grand day out, and a bit easier than I expected but I kept my heart rate average bang on target for what I wanted to do. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I was up and out early today, on the road by 6.30am or so. I've cycled in rain before but never done a training/fitness cycle in it, just commutes. I decided to stop being fair weather about it and get out. I was a little worried about grip and braking distance on the downhills so took them easy, it didn't stop me clocking up my highest peak speed ever though.

All in all, I did just under 40km. I stopped for less than ten minutes to get something in a shop and stuff my face with some biscuits after 30km or so. I was out for less than two hours in total and I was actually impressed by my average speed (you wouldn't be, but I am. :P )

Once I was wet enough to stop noticing the wheel throwing water up on my arse I was grand. It even stopped raining on my return at some point but I have no idea when. My Lidl cheapy jacket failed so now I have to debate going out over the next few days with just my long sleeved jersey, which I'll probably do seeing as I was soaked through anyway. Unless anyone has a serious warning against that.

Still, a grand day out, and a bit easier than I expected but I kept my heart rate average bang on target for what I wanted to do. :D

Gucci. I'd be a far better cyclist if I had the discipline to get up early for spins.

From experience I'd avoid biscuits and the like on or after spins as they are the most pernicious of reward eating foods.

Treat yourself to a cafe stop with coffee and cake or have an ice cream, still not exactly health food but at least the portion is controlled.

Massive tangent but this is why I find Italian espresso culture superior to the American Cup-occino culture we've imported.

In Ireland I go into a shop or cafe and get a big cup of milk and coffee which sugar gets added to, and then since I'm a. Waiting for it to be made. And b. Going to be walking around/sitting with my hand6s occupied by the drink for a while I might as well get a pastry or a bar to go with it. Especially since I'm already spending most of a fiver.

In Italy I walk into an espresso bar spend a pittance and have my espresso plonked in front of me in the time it takes to count my 70cents and gulp it back as fast as I can handle (Italian gullets are asbestos lined) and am back on the street in non eating/drinking mode in under two minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

It's warm enough to go cycling without a waterproof jkt.
    I headed out last night in a s/s jersey when it was pouring rain, but I was warm.

If you tend to get cold, maybe start off in a jersey and gilet, then if you get too warm you can just put the gilet in your jersey pocket.
    Well done on your early morning cycle.
    Also - maybe invest in a mudguard for your back wheel, that feeling of cold spray is awful and can ruin your clothes!
    These sks raceblades for example

I have mudguards for the wheels. The back one wouldn't stay on though. Probably just a case of getting a new washer for the nut.

And the biscuits were portion controlled. I only had so many with me (them Go Ahead diet biscuits, probably crap for a diet but grand for me.)

And I might dump the jacket all right. I was soaked through anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

And I might dump the jacket all right. I was soaked through anyway.
    I find a jacket just heat up at this time of year so if the jacket doesn't get waterlogged from the rain the perspiration on the inside will get me anyway so I don't really use a jacket in the 'summer' that said still carry it with me must be a mental thing about having one with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Eventful 30km.went for another attempt at athgoe hill. Made it three quarters of the way up and exploded. Felt dizzy and spent 10 minutes trying not to puke. Good Craic.

Turned around and back down the hill. Was soaked at this stage. Tried to up my average speed on the way back as an intense leg type training session since I wasn't going to make long distance.

Coming down a railway bridge in the lashings of rain and had to brake. Bike decided it'd like to go sideways instead of forward. Managed to hold it but Jesus it was terrifying.

Learned a lot today in a short time so that's good. Average speed up to 27 km/hr now which I'm delighted with. Going to go for a long one at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I was gaggin to get out for a spin all day, so as 7pm arrived and I wheeled out the front door, the rain wasn't going to stop me!

Really enjoyed the spin, main aim was to record a PB on the Blessington Hill 'Climb', a personal yardstick of where my fitness is since I've really started cracking into the cycling 15 weeks ago. Smashed it by over a minute so delighted!

Had to force myself to turn back just after Brittas for fear of hypothermia and took it very handy on the descent back to Tallaght, barely peddling - it was cold! Saw 2 other cyclists from Tallaght on, and spotted them twice. Must have been doing repeats the mad scones.

Clocked in 42k in 1 hour 30 minutes at 28.1kmph. Ranelagh, Firhouse, Brittas and back through Tallaght.

Training going well so far, looking forward to the Westportif 160k in a months time.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/623210829

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Usual morning spin to Enniskerry. Glorious morning out there. 69km left to reach my target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne summerhill and back, some bastard in a van nearly clipped me doing about 80k, Why the **** can these clowns not just wait till the oncoming traffic passes (10 secs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Coming down a railway bridge in the lashings of rain and had to brake. Bike decided it'd like to go sideways instead of forward. Managed to hold it but Jesus it was terrifying.

That can easily happen if your rear wheel skids and therefore stops decellerating at the same rate as your bike/front-wheel (which still has grip and is still braking).

Results in your rear wheel starting to over-take your front, a bit like a truck jack-knifing when the front continues to brake and the back doesn't.

It's especially likely to happen in wet conditions as it's easier to skid your rear wheel.

I'd suggest teaching yourself to move your weight backwards when braking in situations like that and to go easy on the rear brake. IE shove your arse backwards off the back of the saddle a bit.

As you brake your body tends to go forward and you move weight from your back wheel onto your front. Helping your front wheel grip and making your rear wheel easier to skid.

I speak from experience on this as I'm only at this cycling lark a year and I had skids like that a good few times when moving from a hybrid to a road bike. Always in the rain. The good thing is that it's really easy to recover from as all you have to do is stop braking for a moment and the wheels will grip again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,133 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rear wheel skids are completely normal during emergency braking or when there isn't much grip. You should be able to control them with steering inputs.

Obviously you don't want to skid whilst turning the bike, that can be a bit hairy.

LennyMC made a great post on here about losing traction front and or rear.

Essentially he pointed out that the bike will still travel in more or less the direction you point it.

It literally saved my skin from a nasty spill on gravel at the bottom of a descent days after someone else here linked me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

LennyMC made a great post on here about losing traction front and or rear.

Essentially he pointed out that the bike will still travel in more or less the direction you point it.

I saw that post too. Never actually tried it out. It seems strange and counter-intuitive so I hope that I remember it if the circumstance arises!

quozl wrote: »
    I saw that post too. Never actually tried it out. It seems strange and counter-intuitive so I hope that I remember it if the circumstance arises!

Everything in good cornering/descending technique feels counterintuitive to me. But thank Zod almighty in the phantom zone it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just back from my longest spin EVER!!!!

121.9km @30.6km/hr

http://www.strava.com/activities/158783198

Even managed a few PR's on a couple of Segments:)

I did 50km for the second time today. My first time doing it I stopped for an hour after 30km. This time I spent two hours fifteen minutes cycling and only had two stops for a total of 15 minutes. One stop at about 30km to eat down some biscuits and one stop at 40km to refill my bidons. For me this pretty much represents a continuous, if not a non-stop cycle. I think I'm ready to start looking for sportives I could sign up to now. I think I could do up to 70km, maybe. I'm very pleased with myself though. Had a big steak dinner and now having a glass of wine. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Lumen wrote: »
    Rear wheel skids are completely normal during emergency braking or when there isn't much grip. You should be able to control them with steering inputs.

Obviously you don't want to skid whilst turning the bike, that can be a bit hairy.

Funny that this topic came up today. I lost the rear of the bike under heavy braking on the Grange road while I was about to turn left onto Sarah Curran Ave. On both brakes,more front than rear but as I started to lean towards the turn the rear snapped out to the right.
    Instinct just kicked in and I turned into the skid to keep the front wheel pointing in a straight line and then released the rear brake. The rear snapped back into line with the front,weight centered over bike again, allowing me to fully deploy the front brake again. Thankfully there was I driveway on the far side of the bend and I used it as a run off.

It was a proper speedway slide and must've looked awesome from behind.
    Completely my fault due to speed, road conditions and missing my braking point. Felt kind of cool that my brain\body can still react in a flash to something like this in a split second. Had a big smile on my face afterwards.

Funny that this topic came up today. I lost the rear of the bike under heavy braking on the Grange road while I was about to turn left onto Sarah Curran Ave. On both brakes,more front than rear but as I started to lean towards the turn the rear snapped out to the right.
    Instinct just kicked in and I turned into the skid to keep the front wheel pointing in a straight line and then released the rear brake. The rear snapped back into line with the front,weight centered over bike again, allowing me to fully deploy the front brake again. Thankfully there was I driveway on the far side of the bend and I used it as a run off.

It was a proper speedway slide and must've looked awesome from behind.
    Completely my fault due to speed, road conditions and missing my braking point. Felt kind of cool that my brain\body can still react in a flash to something like this in a split second. Had a big smile on my face afterwards.

Just out of curiosity did you lean your body or the bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

110 km cycle this morning , cycled in with club for Clarina CC 80km charity cycle for Milford Hospice. Didn't have legs on way back so turned off with one of the lads . Averaged 28km , need to get out more often Last ten Km were a struggle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Terrible day in the saddle, nothing in the legs today for some unknown reason. :(
    Headed for The Naul only to see it was still covered in loose gravel.
    Crawled up Bellewstown Hill as if it was my first time ever attempting it.
    Then noticed my rear brake caliper wasn't releasing so got totally pi$$ed off with circumstances and lack of form and headed for home.
    45 paltry km with a stiff breeze in my face for most of them and didn't enjoy one minute.
    100km route planned for tomorrow as revenge!

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Went from Swords, through St. Margaret's, up the old N2 as far as Coolquay, then hung a right for Garristown. Continued on through Naul and Ballyboughal, back to Swords. Looped out as far as Malahide just to kill another half hour. 65k in total.

Is that the normal Naul loop that people do or is it better/harder in the other direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

furiousox wrote: »
    Headed for The Naul only to see it was still covered in loose gravel.
    Annoying, isn't it? I was around that area on Thursday and today, and I remembered your post from a few weeks back. Makes descending uncomfortable, and I scrub more to try not to take any corners at speed. All the loose chipping signs are still up, so hopefully they're not leaving it at that.
    No Pants wrote: »
    Went from Swords, through St. Margaret's, up the old N2 as far as Coolquay, then hung a right for Garristown. Continued on through Naul and Ballyboughal, back to Swords. Looped out as far as Malahide just to kill another half hour. 65k in total.

Is that the normal Naul loop that people do or is it better/harder in the other direction?
    If you go left at the T junction north of the Naul (coming from Garristown/Oldtown), there's a good climb (called Snowtown I believe). If you continue on that road, there's another climb, and you can work in Bellewstown if you're up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

193 kms today was just testing a long spin without any energy bars and gels..... just brought 2x nutella and peanut butter sandwich 1 banana and bought 2 black coffee and one cupcake on the way .... what ive noticed after today is that no upset tummy after arriving home :-) ..... didnt bring any jacket got soaked up the mountain( never trust the forecast)... also one lesson i learned today never go for a long spin if youve gone to the gym the day before( legs day) cos every little bump you can feel and the only thing you could do is just spin and spin ( slow).... after 70km every undulation on the road feels like a hill..... and you cant summon any strength at all to save your life:-) had to scuttle my plans of doing the three peaks after coming down from hollywood as i could feel that my legs and me are not really up for it so had to do a flattish route for the rest of the spin.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/159140427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Did 43.5 this morning, legs are coming back after I broke me ribs.

My Da did 48.6 this morning.

:|

Still, I had a great time out :) and fair play to him, given age and weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

134km on my own, 29kmh average. Quite flattish, annoying headwind for the second half ... but still I am wrecked more than after Mick Byrne's for some reason :eek:

Oh, I have managed to draft a tractor! For +/- 7km just before Trim, steady 30kmh - I didn't know they can go this fast :-D

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/364523005/13577416

In Trim a big white Audi (hello, prejudice...) almost hit me coming from a side road - I had the right of way. We both stopped, and I have started shouting some not too handsome words about responsibility, fragility of human life and my concerns about the health of driver's eyes, expecting, I don't know, maybe a young careless teen, texting or chatting with the passenger... Then the window rolled down, and I saw a face of a woman in the age of my mother, in tears... she was clearly in shock, saying only "I'm sorry, I didn't see you, I'm sorry"... my heart nearly broke. Regardless of what she have almost done I apologized for my behavior, tried to comfort her a little and just repeated to be very careful about cyclists... Jaysus, Alek, its the high time to stop being so volatile on the road. You've learned your shame lesson today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

110 Km, through North Tipperary on the new Thorn Audax. Stopped at every fire station in North Tipp starting from Newport finish in Thurles via Roscrea.
    North and South Tipp are becoming a single service and a cycle in aid of a hospice was arranged.
    Lovely day, great scenery, good company and lashings of sangwedges and tae.

Bike performed well, I had a fit done on Thursday with Brendan at the bicycle design centre. Seat post slipped on the first leg, so it was the stop at the second station before I fixed it.

Thanks to Keepers CC who lead the bunch, about 10 of us got rolling fast from Templemore into Thurles, I tucked in behind this former Oarsman who had rowed at Henley, it was like being back in an eight.

Really enjoyable day,finished with a dip in the Barrow on the way home, clears the lactic acid. Wicklow Peaks in the morning, then I'll taper off for the ROK.
    Did I say I was pleased with the bike ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

zindicato wrote: »
    193 kms today was just testing a long spin without any energy bars and gels..... just brought 2x nutella and peanut butter sandwich 1 banana and bought 2 black coffee and one cupcake on the way .... what ive noticed after today is that no upset tummy after arriving home :-) ..... didnt bring any jacket got soaked up the mountain( never trust the forecast)... also one lesson i learned today never go for a long spin if youve gone to the gym the day before( legs day) cos every little bump you can feel and the only thing you could do is just spin and spin ( slow).... after 70km every undulation on the road feels like a hill..... and you cant summon any strength at all to save your life:-) had to scuttle my plans of doing the three peaks after coming down from hollywood as i could feel that my legs and me are not really up for it so had to do a flattish route for the rest of the spin.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/159140427
    Sounds like a pretty accurate description of bonking and it probably relates to the food and drink (or lack of both) rather than the gym. Only happened to me once somewhere between Donard and Naas a few years ago so I drink and eat a lot more on long spins ever since. Hopefully there won't be a repeat tomorrow on the Wicklow Peaks;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Sounds like a pretty accurate description of bonking and it probably relates to the food and drink (or lack of both) rather than the gym. Only happened to me once somewhere between Donard and Naas a few years ago so I drink and eat a lot more on long spins ever since. Hopefully there won't be a repeat tomorrow on the Wicklow Peaks;)

i think your right with bonking there( it didnt help that i had 20 quid with me and lost 10 quid somewhere on the road so only had 10 quid to make it last during the whole trip thats why i only had a cupcake/muffin and water on the way back from howth as its the only one i could afford........ bonked meself during the 3 peaks challenge totally unforgettable experience :( this was a mixed bag day for me....... even during the first climb up friarstown have no legs really legs, twas an annoying sensation on the quads everytime you try to push a bit hard plus noticed that my quads were still quite tight from the day before and everytime you try to get up and pedal it just feels like a cramp coming same feeling you get when youve just finished doing leg presses and squats:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

55km in 2h32 on the mountain bike around the foot of the Galtees so mostly flat. Total ascent 310 mteres. Ave speed 21.6kmh, was a bit higher until the last 5km which is mostly uphill and I bonked, having dropped my banana while trying to eat it earlier.

Fairly pleased with the outing anyhow, now the hard part, entertaining the kids for the day!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement