Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    Who needs Sean Kelly when we have Wishbone Ash! :cool: :D
    ...and this comes from the first Irishman to cross the line in the Pave Battle of June Challenge and who routinely hoovers up every KOM in city/suburban Dublin! :cool:

It's about time you started to race!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did a little over 50km this morning with 500m of climbing at an average of 30km/h. Been trying to crack a climb on the route for the last couple of weeks. Was going no where on it and was pretty bad going up it yesterday with some leg pains. Adjusted the saddle height and was flying this morning. A few PBs up the climbs I was targeting so happy out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

first time up the Vico road last. Jesus !

Need to get my fat ass out of the flats of Kildare and on to some hills !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I had a similar experience my first time up Vico Road.

Wait till you get to Cruagh and the Sally Gap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thats the climb my post above refers to. Never gets easier but you do get faster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Is that climb that Mick Byrne 200 finishes with? Nasty little fecker after all that climbing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Did it myself last night as well - it can really hop up in a few different places, it is nice to have some recovery when it levels out in a couple of spots.

It's one of those yardsticks of fitness for me as it was one of the first climbs I attempted towards the tail end of last summer when I got my bike. It's still as tough but you glide up it after a while ;-)

ok... maybe not glide..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I remember when I could not go up it without stopping now I can do kippure in the big ring :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Carpenter wrote: »
    now I can do kippure in the big ring :D

Even the last bit? I assume you are not serious, sir.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Alek wrote: »
    Even the last bit? I assume you are not serious, sir.

I am very serious only did it last week with a friend :D

• Advertisement

Carpenter wrote: »
    I am very serious only did it last week with a friend :D

Your knees on the other hand were distinctly short of friends on that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Some say Carpenter has no knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

Did it myself last night as well - it can really hop up in a few different places, it is nice to have some recovery when it levels out in a couple of spots.

It's one of those yardsticks of fitness for me as it was one of the first climbs I attempted towards the tail end of last summer when I got my bike. It's still as tough but you glide up it after a while ;-)

ok... maybe not glide..

I had to stop - aim to get it sorted before the end of the summer.
    have to call out to Theresa Heffernan who was out with us for guidance as we have a work 200k at the end of July
    Only for her words of guidance I was never getting up there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Squeezed in a quick 40km spin around Drogheda, Bellewstown and Bettystown.
    Deceptively breezy out there!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Headed out for 50k at 6.30 this morning, climbing Hill of Howth from the village end. Felt like I struggled to bejaysus on the climb but did well enough time-wise. The descent on the other side is good craic when the road is so quiet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up to Johnnie Foxes for the third time this week, again via Burrow road, hoping to improve on yesterdays time slightly, only to find myself going into a headwind on Pine Forest road, and stuck behind a brake happy car going down Cruagh making a mockery of my descent. 23kph yesterday, 22kph today. Feck it anyway!

Short 60km today, new top speed of 91.6km/h :)

Short 60km today, new top speed of 91.6km/h :)

Descending out of the back of a Ryanair flight?

Descending out of the back of a Ryanair flight?

Nice tailwind, 53x12 and a decent aero tuck.. :D

Its a relatively safe descent, 2.5km long with an average speed of 76.6km/h today

Ill take you down it at speed if you want! :)

Nice tailwind, 53x12 and a decent aero tuck.. :D

Its a relatively safe descent, 2.5km long with an average speed of 76.6km/h today

Ill take you down it at speed if you want! :)
    I was just looking at it on Strava. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

First bike ride in Dublin practicing my commute.

Took my bike out for a spin. Decided to practice my commute, which I will be doing once I get the SAP Bike Shed keycode.

Got a bit lost, three times. My Garmin was acting up again. I thought we sorted out differences bro...

Made it safely to SAP, then started the trek back. My back wheel wasn't done up tightly enough and it came loose. I took a stem bolt to the area above my right testicle, kinda ruined the rest of the ride.

Seen a guy jacking off at a bus stop in Tallaght... stay classy Tallaght.

http://www.strava.com/activities/160963229

.... I took a stem bolt to the area above my right testicle,

....Seen a guy jacking off at a bus stop in Tallaght

You're not into the normal mundane commutes I see! :)

I took a stem bolt to the area above my right testicle, kinda ruined the rest of the ride.

You know what they say about bringing bicycle parts into the bedroom..
    Seen a guy jacking off at a bus stop in Tallaght... stay classy Tallaght.

Pics..?

jk please don't actually post pics.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

did the first 70k of the Grand Depart Leeds to Kettlewell yesterday with my son.Great day out with loads of other cyclists on the route.Villages getting into the spirit with yellow bikes everywhere.Tough in places for somebody not great on the hills,very undulating with short but steep gradients.Hope the weather holds as the coverage should be spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

First bike ride in Dublin practicing my commute.

Made it safely to SAP, then started the trek back.

You should join our Strava club. A few decent cyclists in the Dublin office I see!

Since the swisstops on my roadbike announced their retirement and I'm still waiting on a replacement set (green) I decided to take out the old Commutourer (http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056357307/3/#post84427836) for a spin along the Royal Canal.

http://app.strava.com/activities/161180088/segments/3737884495

Having hastily gathered directions from Alek in the Offtopic thread I set off for the Phoenix park with a pannier with everything I needed to stop for lunch, a song in my heart, and my packed lunch in the fridge at home.

Alek said to take the left after leaving the Park so I took a best stab and ended up lost in some fancy Castleknock estate, before taking a joggers trail across teh bottom field and chugging on towards Lucan on the higher road that runs parrallell to Strawberry beds, descending a few sharp windy hills on a budget pack of Lifeline Vbrake pads I carried on past Lucan village and eventually got onto the towpath at one of the railway bridges after the turn off for Westmanstown.

Once on the two path, I followed the single line of visible earth among the grass bumping along, wishing I'd run wider tyres (running 28mms at 80psi) and being sure to slow to jogging pace and greet every walker with a friendly smile or nod. Eventually the path widened to a gritted trail and apart from slowing so as not to annoy or intimdate walkers and joggers I made good progress. Despite a few more sections of rough grassy trail which resting on the hoods did cause a bit of wrist discomfort and later numb hands.

Pleasantly surprised by everything except my lack of tupperwared pasta sald when I got to Maynooth I decided to head back home, going in both directions I surprised myself with my confidence on the narrow paths running under the bridges.

Once I got past Lucan the trail crossed the canal and became pretty much an MTB route, which I actually greatly enjoyed, bunny hopping over exposed routes and staying out of the saddle pretty much the whole way, before the halfway mark I came upon and old couple out for a walk who stopped to get out of my way when they saw me. I decided to dismount and walk and chat with them for the remaining 20m or so the next xing. The last stretch of rough path made me a touch nervous for my tyres/wheels as instead of routes, half buried stones were the major feature, I passed a guy on a big felt full susser coming the other way at the end of it and we exchanged laughing comments about how much better equipped he was for it.

The rest of the route was pretty much open gritted paths with a few long sections of tarmac paving on the way into town, for pleasantness sake I should have gotten off at Castleknock and headed home via the park but I couldn't resist exploring the extent of the path. Even though it meant ending on a not really pleasant cycle through town with its usual tomfoolery and nonsense.

I'll say this though, I'm definitely against the kissing gates now. They're no bother to me because I can hoist a 20kg+ loaded bike over my head and hurry through (really wished I could do CX dismounts) but for someone relying on their bike to be able to move safely along the canal they're a major impediment to personal security.

59.2km
    272m climb
    19.8km/h average.
    42.5 km/h max

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another lunchtime spin up by Johnnie Foxes, followed by a glorious uninterrupted descent of Pine Forest - Tibradden (68kph which is fast for me, if not for others), and Cruagh road. Still just over a rather miserable 23kph average, but smiling all the way. Thinking of getting a beergutectomy once funds become available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

smacl wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a beergutectomy once funds become available.
    Get off the gargle and you'll have that saved up in no time.

Had a short spin down to the supermarket and back (Mrs RS walks down and back while I load up Commutourer and cycle home with the weekly shop). Worth mentioning only because of the interesting physics demonstration, as I started off wobbling from side to side under the considerable and uneven weight of the panniers only to accelerate into complete stability.

Then some barsteward neighbours parked their cars with the front wheels touching the kerb of the footpath at the front of the apartment building making it impossible to roll the laden bike in the door of the building. It ended up being more of a workout than my 60km of towpath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did a repeat of Sunday's spin from home, up the Embankment then to Manor Kilbride, Blessington and back. I got a few PRs on Strava with a 29km/h average.

One day I'll get a 30km/h average but it'll take a bit more work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement