Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

Haven't sat into my car this week. Been commuting every day to work and did the club run on Tuesday evening. 250k done so far this week and only got wet once. Leaving work at lunchtime heading from Shannon to Ballybunion. Shannon-Newmarket-Ennis-Killimer-Ferry to Tarbert-Ballylongford-Ballybunion (83K), and then the reverse journey Sunday night. Really looking forward to this afternoons spin in spite of the rubbish weather.

Wish I could do these miles every week. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

68 kms today in a very slow and painful way wanted to go up the mountains but guys posted online for a groups spin so went with em big mistake had to babysit a new guy who came for the group spin route was supposed to be howth, malahide, and greystones ......the mad guys who invited him just left him after malahide castle.... he only bought the bike recently farthest spin for him was 10-20km doesnt know how to use his gears, doesnt care about other road users, so had to look after him as i felt bad ,he had 1 crash going to howth on the cycle lane , 3x times nearly got rammed by cars turning left in the roundabout as he doesnt notice signal lights and doesnt stop at red lights, almost got smacked by taxi's twice as he keeps swerving had to cut the ride short and talk to him bout not continuing for the day and explain to him gently what he was doing wrong(told him to be more aware of road safety )and bring him home as my blood pressure goes up for every kilometer that we covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Another spin this morning.

Stillorgan - Sandymount - Clontarf - Howth - Malahide - Clarehall - Fairview - Stillorgan

55.4km - 2 hours 7 mins

272m climbing
    26km/hr

Brings my total for the week to 257km.
    Delighted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

74km today. Instead of my usual outward route up the Embankment, I decided to go up Seskin Hill to Brittas. It's a much tougher climb than the Embankment and it was my second attempt at it this year - I was almost 4 mins quicker than my previous attempt back in March. From there I headed out through Manor Kilbride and around Blessington Lake and back home on the N81.

A heads up for anyone planning to go around Blessington Lakes: The road surface approaching Lacken has been resurfaced and there are loose chippings everywhere so be sure to take it easy. The same again if you turn left onto the R758 after Ballyknockan. I had planned to go left but when I saw more loose chippings so I went right for Valleymount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Lap of Lough Derg starting in Nenagh.
    Nenagh - Portumna - Scarriff - Killaloe - Nenagh. 114.5km in 4 and a bit hours
    Absolutely shattered. First time doing lap of the lake in a year or so and was with some v quick guys for most of the ride but dropped in between Whitegate and Mountshannon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

If anyone was cycling around howth today and you thought you were getting beeped at by a dickhead in a bmw, apologies.

That was me, i was driving behind waiting for better visibility on the bend before I overtook.

The beeping was the cars behind beeping at me.

Thanks for letting me by, I was happy to wait anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Was cycling from Sally Gap down towards Roundwood this morning, at the section before you come to the hairpin that takes you up past Lough Tay. I was going fairly fast when an on coming car decided to overtake the cyclist coming the opposite way. I had to jam on the brakes. The car went back in behind the cyclist and started beeping the horn and gesticulating at the cyclist. It pulled out again and beeped at the cyclist as they passed by. I could hear the cyclist shouting "what's your problem" as they passed.

I continued on and another car came around the corner ahead. It was a Garda Jeep, so I flagged him down and told him about the car ahead of him on the road. He said thanks and he'd go up and have a word. I pulled in on the road over looking Lough Tay and had a look back up towards Sally Gap. There was no sign of either the aggressive driver or the Garda, so I assume he pulled in the (female) motorist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Back in major recovery mode for the second time this year after a botched operation went septic internally and had me laid up in hospital for two weeks on intravenous meals... Upside is I lost 5kg... the downside is that an easy 40km leg loosener out to howth and back has me feeling like iv been run over by a train... Nice to be out tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

So I was out around Howth today and this dickhead in a BMW wouldn't stop beeping at me..

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

I've just done the Ring of Kerry. Chuffed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

125 km today at 27.4 kmph. My longest spin to date and a good confidence builder before the Westsportif 160 in a couple of weeks.

Headed from Ranelagh to Blessington, twice around the lakes and back through Tallaght / Templeogue. Swung a left just after Templogue and did a lap of the Phoenix Park and then back to Ranelagh via the Quays and the Canal.

Had planned to just take it easy and get the miles in the legs, but felt good and happy to keep the average up around my usual.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/634089827 (117 logged)
    crosstownk wrote: »

A heads up for anyone planning to go around Blessington Lakes: The road surface approaching Lacken has been resurfaced and there are loose chippings everywhere so be sure to take it easy. The same again if you turn left onto the R758 after Ballyknockan. I had planned to go left but when I saw more loose chippings so I went right for Valleymount.

Terrible patch of loose chippings, slowed right down to a snails pace for the two loops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

So, its been a couple of years since I did a long solo spin in Wicklow. It used to be a regular thing back in 2010/2011. Visiting some relatives down near Avoca gave me a good excuse to get out and my fitness has been good lately.

I did a loop sround the top half of the county. Celbridge over to Dundrum and on down to Roundwood via Enniskerry, then Laragh. The relatives really live in the back of beyond between Rathdrum and Avoca but a lovely part of the world all the same. Stuffed my face in Rathdrum so as to make sure I had no issues going over the Wicklow Gap. Nice cooling shower heading back to Vallymount. N81 from Blessington is soul destroying after all that but got home with no drama.

Overall, I think I prefer shorter rides these days and maybe I'll leave the longer distances for sportives. Glad to get back with plenty left to go on Stage 1 of the Tour. 164km at 27.8kph with approx. 1800m of climbing though that might be incorrect. Tough day but worthwhile in the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Parked up in Enfield and was going to cycle out to the end of the Royal Canal, then on to Longford town where I'd get the train back to Enfield.

After about 30 mins I got sudden lack of resistance on the pedals and looked down to see this!

DSCN0349.jpg

The hanger holding the rear derailleur had broken :mad:

I suppose I was lucky it happened so soon in the journey.

No same day cancellation refunds on Irish Rail though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

Rathgar-Cruagh-Sallygap-uturn -Enniskerry- (quick coffee and indulged in some bike envy, one lucky chap had lovely Specialized) - Devil's Elbow- glencullen- Sandyford- Rathgar.

Approx 23 km/hr. Back home to watch 1st stage TdF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Tallaght-Blessington-Hollywood-Wicklow Gap-Laragh-SallyGap-Devils Elbow-Home.
    111kms Avg26.9km/h Max 80.6km/h
    http://www.strava.com/activities/161991979

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

surpy wrote: »
    If anyone was cycling around howth today and you thought you were getting beeped at by a dickhead in a bmw, apologies.

That was me, i was driving behind waiting for better visibility on the bend before I overtook.

The beeping was the cars behind beeping at me.

Thanks for letting me by, I was happy to wait anyway

:pac:
    I tend to not react at all because you can never tell is it a friendly or angry beep

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Cycled from Drogheda to Collon via Slane. Instead of my usual going back straight to Drogheda via Tullyallen I took the ramp out of Collon towards Tenure. Came back by Newtown and down the Hill of Rath

First time around the roads of Tenure and Newtown. My God they're great roads, big, quiet, decent surface and very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Quick spin around the 17Km loop at Ballyhoura, my first visit there and first downhill outing in about 10 years! Luckily it was dry as I still have the slick tyres on the MTB, would've been treacherous otherwise.

Great facility, would be great to get something similar nearer home - Forestry Commission in UK are great for bike trails and facilities, Coillte still have a way to go.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

86k from home to Trim and back via Blanchardstown in just under 3 hrs. Great what a few outings to the mountains does to averages when you get back to the flat roads of NCD and Meath. Super road surface out by Batterstown and Kiltale with the only bumps being road kill. Also nice that all the other cyclists out either nodded or waved which must be a first.
    Went out and back by the new Royal Canal Greenway from Ashtown to Castleknock - great at 9.00am but not so good a few hours later with plenty of walkers. As they have right of way and the path isn't segregated, you really have to take it very easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Finally got to cycle to Mullingar after months of saying that I would do it,85K from Castleknock to Mullingar according to sports tracker it took me 5 hours 18 mins.
    Considering I cycled from Castleknock to Mullingar on Tuesday morning and it took me 3 hours I was hoping to do Mullingar in and around 4 hours,Saying that the wind was against me all the way and I got caught out in a down pour just outside Mullingar.(Altura jacket I bought for €50 held out well)
    Anyway I caught the 1657 train back home which cost me €19.20 and no charge for the bike,But what I didn't know was that the train is an express one which does not stop at Leixlip Clonsilla castleknock etc it heads straight for Connoly .
    After getting of the train I asked the lads at the gate about why the train did not stop he pointed out that I should have got off and swapped trains at Kilcock,The next train from Connoly to Castleknock was going be in 40 mins so I cycled home along the royal canal.
    I am going do it again sometime maybe even go further out anyone got an idea of what sort of training I would need to be doing to make it to Longford,Or Dublin Mullingar Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Training ride today before the Westportif. Was exhausted after it but I didn't drink or eat enough ( i think)
    Did 135km at average of 27.1 km/hr. Paced myself well over the first 2.5 hours but not so well after that.

Managed to get in over 1200m+ of climbing but got lost again in Tourmakeady and never got to climb Lally's Mountain, which I had intended to do. Someday, before I'm old and grey, I'll go into and out of Tourmakeady and not get lost.

G1032 wrote: »
    Training ride today before the Westportif. Was exhausted after it but I didn't drink or eat enough ( i think)
    Did 135km at average of 27.1 km/hr. Paced myself well over the first 2.5 hours but not so well after that.

Managed to get in over 1200m+ of climbing but got lost again in Tourmakeady and never got to climb Lally's Mountain, which I had intended to do. Someday, before I'm old and grey, I'll go into and out of Tourmakeady and not get lost.

See you there! Is that your last big spin before the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

See you there! Is that your last big spin before the day?

Ya. Might get out for a 100km next weekend but I'd say it'll end up more like 70 or something. Happy to get today in though. Needed it badly.

G1032 wrote: »
    Ya. Might get out for a 100km next weekend but I'd say it'll end up more like 70 or something. Happy to get today in though. Needed it badly.

Yeh I'll probably do 70-80 next weekend and two shorter spins during the week, one with a good bit of climbing - then shut down! Can't wait for it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Tallaght-Blessington-Hollywood-Wicklow Gap-Laragh-SallyGap-Devils Elbow-Home.
    111kms Avg26.9km/h Max 80.6km/h
    http://www.strava.com/activities/161991979

I thought I recognised you. Was one of two Orwell lads who passed you just before you turned off for Glencree.

My buddy said that it was lucky that you turned off as he'd the feeling you'd be embarrassingly overtaking him right back seconds later when we'd hit the climb to the feather beds. He was in bits after a double Sally Gap day and you must have looked intimidating to him ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

65km around Drogheda, Duleek, Kentstown, Laytown and Bettystown.
    Strange day weather wise...wind, sun and rain.
    The thunder and lightning started just as I got home!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

Lap of Lough Derg starting in Nenagh.
    Nenagh - Portumna - Scarriff - Killaloe - Nenagh. 114.5km in 4 and a bit hours
    Absolutely shattered. First time doing lap of the lake in a year or so and was with some v quick guys for most of the ride but dropped in between Whitegate and Mountshannon

I've done that in the past. It's a ride that always takes longer than you think it should and it's harder than you'd think it was going to be when you look at it on paper.

I did 90k today from Ballybunion to Limeick. Averaged 27.6kph which I was happy with. The road from Tarbert to Foynes is fantastic, especially the parts right along the sea. The road from the Askeaton bypass to Kildimo however is painful. That annoying surface that just sucks your legs. A great day out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Managed a fairly decent spin 128.2km:D

Average speed was 30.4km/hr, but had to stop for ages at lights in killaloe:(

Here was my route
    http://www.strava.com/activities/162550521

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

70k Sandyford Tallaght Sallygap Glencree rear passenger door of a Renault Megane limp home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Todays Spin is broken into three on Strava due to Phone battery issues.

http://www.strava.com/activities/162560049 - Cruagh to Laragh
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/2113768 - Laragh to Manor Kilbride
    http://www.strava.com/activities/162560078 - Manor Kilbridge to City

I nearly went on the wimp list this morning when I walked away from a glorious sunny day at the window to get changed and came back to a grey water dump.

Fortunately I persevered and discovered that the other reason I should avoid training in bad weather is because the people that train in bad weather are really committed and fit, and make me look bad next to them....

Made it up Cruagh road with no real problems, although I could swear climbing is slower in the wet, some guy in Orwell shorts and a Castelli jersey had left me for dead before Edmonstown, by the time I was past the first bridge another super fit looking guy in full team kit zipped past me.

I passed through some sort of interdimensional portal into a sunny day by the time I reached the viewing point, slogged up to the featherbeds among dozens of impatient people out for a 'leisurely' drive, apparently it's very important not to be slowed by cyclists while trying to aggressively appreciate the majestic Wicklow Mountain scenery.

Stopped halfway up the Sally Gap when I hit a front wheel wobbling bump at the same time as a car was passing a little bit too close. Some guy in runners with a flourescent yellow Mr. Safety Jacket passed me while I was trying to get going again,but this gave me the fire I needed to catch up to him at the very top and drop him with his sinister non lycra ways.

Pootled along past the crossroads only to notice that the sky famous for its appearance in various apocalyptically themed films was visiting Wicklow, so made a quick stop to Rainshell up before pressing on. The weather finally made up its mind just as I was beginning the descent to Laragh: Its decision was **** Rollingscone.

Miraculously I'd just fitted Swisstop Green pads last night and man, they must be made from the True cross or something, I've never felt so much confidence in braking before, and this was in squally wet weather on a steepish descent. A lovely pair of elderly tourists were behind me for much of the descent and kept a good 50m back patiently waiting the whole time. I felt the need to reward this behaviour so stopped briefly on the way down to wave them past and give them a thumbs up.

By the time I got to Laragh I was thrilling about how good my new brake pads were and discovered shortly after arriving at the Hippy Cafe that someone had gone and turned the sun back on! Had a Sandwhich, Coffee and a flapjack and a relax at the Hippy Cafe before taking off to try and do the Wicklow Gap non stop to the top for the first time ever.

I didn't.

Even though I was mentally telling myself that I can do three or four repeats of Cruagh to the first bridge with no rest, my lack of fitness (descending counts as rest I guess) won again, and I stopped three times in total on the climb up the gap (although not in a ball this time) the descent went rather well again and I found that my OCB (Obsessive compulsive braking) was greatly reduced (just as well, the next set of pads mightn't be on sale) making for a much more relaxed descent, as I was able to get into cornering properly instead of starting again after every bend I flubbed by way of overcaution.

Encountered the by now famous loose chippings outside Hollywood and found myself trying to figure out how to do the few steep little descents to the narrow bridge there without braking for fear of skidding out. Shortly after on the little hump climb I stopped to remove my rainjacket again (This spin set a record for De- and Re-Jacketing) by the Time I'd made it to Blessington it was a scorching hot day and I stopped for an Isotonic drink but managed to jersey pocket it after a couple of gulps this time.

After spending a couple of hours visiting someone I made the last leg home with no problems, made it all the way to the turn off for Citywest without touching the brakes but strangely failed to match previous top speeds (I really need a cadence meter). Pretty much nothing to report after that (unlike my last spin on this route I had plenty left in the tank so took the main road/roundabouts all the way home).

Oh...oh...and the Carbon Seatpost totally paid off on the rubbish surfaces!

From the computer:
    Time: 5:01
    Distance: 113km
    Average Speed 22.5km
    Max Speed 57km

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement