Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Todays Spin ......

Good post. It reads well and sounds like an enjoyable spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

crosstownk wrote: »
    Good post. It reads well and sounds like an enjoyable spin!

At this point I'd still trade being less good at writing about cycling for being better at doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

home , Ballycanew, Gorey, Arklow, Woodenbridge, Aughrim, turned left before Carnew. up to the Gap pub.....Hollyfort. Gorey. Ballycanew... Home. 92.5 km
    averaged 24.2 km. top speed 63.5km ..... only got caught in a downpour 1km from home.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

At this point I'd still trade being less good at writing about cycling for being better at doing it.

Keep at it and it will come. Don't get disheartened by skinny so-and-so's that are fit and look like they belong in lycra. I'm sure they are in some way cheating. :D

I did the commute to work today which is 50k round trip. My legs were empty on the way home tonight. Took it very easy after yesterdays longish spin and knowing that I'm going up Woodcock hill tomorrow evening with the club. That's gonna hurt.

426k so far in July and counting.

hsilgnede wrote: »
    Keep at it and it will come. Don't get disheartened by skinny so-and-so's that are fit and look like they belong in lycra. I'm sure they are in some way cheating. :D

I did the commute to work today which is 50k round trip. My legs were empty on the way home tonight. Took it very easy after yesterdays longish spin and knowing that I'm going up Woodcock hill tomorrow evening with the club. That's gonna hurt.

426k so far in July and counting.

Sadly I'm destined to look like a rugby player forever.

Realised that my back wheel is out of true again this morning might explain why the bike felt so reluctant to roll at some points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

On a positive note, you enjoyed it enough to write about it so eloquently.

That tells me you'll keep at it.

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Not today but from Saturday.

Toughest sporting day/game/event I have ever done. Galibier nearly broke me at several points but I never stopped and still managed to pass people out continually to my surprise. Paced myself from the start as I new Alpe D'Huez was looming at the end if the day. Tried to keep the HR around 3.7 - 4 zone on the climbs and concentrate on just breathing! I think that got me through it, that and the last 3 months going up and down Howth. It's a bump in the road compared to those climbs but it helped me a lot. Managed to sprint the last 1.3km somehow!

Til next year (maybe)

https://www.strava.com/activities/162149152

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

40km average on 27km, struggling after a weekend of drink (wedding) and another one next week, will try get out again tomorrow. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Went for what was going to be handy spin, but atop of gallows hill i met an old friend so we decided to spin on together...for the rest of the spin...

54km @29.1km/hr, having someone along side me was a great motivation for pushing myself a little bit harder, hit 21 PB's on strava

Spin here
    http://www.strava.com/activities/162995983

Was a great spin considering my 128km spin yesterday:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

cheerspal wrote: »

Toughest sporting day/game/event I have ever done. Galibier nearly broke me at several points but I never stopped and still managed to pass people out continually to my surprise. Paced myself from the start as I new Alpe D'Huez was looming at the end if the day. Tried to keep the HR around 3.7 - 4 zone on the climbs and concentrate on just breathing! I think that got me through it, that and the last 3 months going up and down Howth. It's a bump in the road compared to those climbs but it helped me a lot. Managed to sprint the last 1.3km somehow!

Til next year (maybe)

Nearly 10,000 calories, jesus there must be none of you left...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

not yet wrote: »
    Nearly 10,000 calories, jesus there must be none of you left...

Not sure how accurate that is. Still I basically ate from Thursday morning until well just now. Was sick of eating by 5pm Saturday at the top if Galibier but knew I just had to keep stuffing my face. Was eating the Brie like mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Some tips for cycling to Heuston:
    • If you get up at 5.15am to get to the train, make sure it's the right day
    • The kindly clerk who sold you the ticket on the phone is wrong: you don't have to queue in the ticket office; you have to use the machine in the ticket office to get your pre-booked ticket. For some reason, Iarnród Éireann has only one ticket clerk on duty for the frantically sighing queue for early-morning trains
    • Don't break down and cry at 6.45 when the railwaymen laugh at you for having a ticket for the wrong day
    • A flask of tea is very heavy. Waterproof wets aren't. Remember this when making your choice
    • Ah sure it's all right really, at least now you know how long the cycle to the train takes, where the bike park is, and what platform the train normally leaves from. (Sob)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

On Saturday I did the Sella Ronda in Tirol, Northern Italy.

51.8kms. 1,620m. 2 hrs 41 mins.

http://www.strava.com/activities/162639508

On Sunday I did the Maratona Dles Dolomites. Also in Tirol.

138.4kms. 4,023m. 7 hrs 25 mins.

http://www.strava.com/activities/162639635

Passau Giau is a monster the never really lets up at all bar at a few spots. So much double digit gradients!

A great weekend away. Smashing event with over 9,000 entrants. The scenery there is just incredible with so many sheer rock faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Was eating the Brie like mad.
    You must be almost French by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

No Pants wrote: »
    You must be almost French by now.

Or at least Brie-ton, and wearing a beriet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Til next year (maybe)

Jesus, your top speed was 114kmh :eek:

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    On Saturday I did the Sella Ronda in Tirol, Northern Italy.

On Sunday I did the Maratona Dles Dolomites. Also in Tirol.

Passau Giau is a monster the never really lets up at all bar at a few spots. So much double digit gradients!

A great weekend away. Smashing event with over 9,000 entrants. The scenery there is just incredible with so many sheer rock faces.

Did you bring your own bike over or was it a rental? If you brought you own, did it make the logistics much harder?

I ask because I'm going cycling in Sicily next year and debating whether to bring our bikes or leave them and just take the rentals they company will give us.

Thanks

hsilgnede wrote: »
    Did you bring your own bike over or was it a rental? If you brought you own, did it make the logistics much harder?

I ask because I'm going cycling in Sicily next year and debating whether to bring our bikes or leave them and just take the rentals they company will give us.

Thanks

Two of us flew to Munich with our bikes and met two others there. We built the bikes and loaded the car / people carrier. Four bikes and four men. We did manage to get five bikes in at one point on the trip!

I've brought bikes to a few places in Europe with no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

This post has been deleted.

Time on the bike is time on the bike.

• Advertisement

Two of us flew to Munich with our bikes and met two others there. We built the bikes and loaded the car / people carrier. Four bikes and four men. We did manage to get five bikes in at one point on the trip!

I've brought bikes to a few places in Europe with no issues.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Morning spin to Viewing Point via Cruagh road and back home, then work. Perfect morning for extended commute!

Turned the speed reading off, so riding my inner pace... just to find I've earned 24 PRs on Strava! :eek: :D

http://www.strava.com/activities/163573264

I'm still chickening on descents, though. Too many blind turns down the Stocking Lane...

Alek wrote: »
    Morning spin to Viewing Point via Cruagh road and back home, then work. Perfect morning for extended commute!

Turned the speed reading off, so riding my inner pace... just to find I've earned 24 PRs on Strava! :eek: :D

I'm still chickening on descents, though. Too many blind turns down the Stocking Lane...

IMHO you're right to, my rule of thumb is that if I'm within 25m of a turn and it's still blind then I brake. (Plus I'm a chicken) but I don't feel much envy of the guys who rocket past me on Stocking Lane or Cruagh Road because they're taking risks that someone with a hot wife has too much to live for.

Your ride looks like you started off and then realised "Oh Sh1t, I'm going the wrong way!" and turned back.

Your ride looks like you started off and then realised "Oh Sh1t, I'm going the wrong way!" and turned back.

Nope, he just wanted the hardest and most dangerous parts of a spin,none of that pansy flat or not steep part.

Its simple - I'm totally bored with the only other extended commute option that includes a decent hill - via Howth. South side is sunnier too :P

Its simple - I'm totally bored with the only other extended commute option that includes a decent hill - via Howth. South side is sunnier too :P

Get a BMX and do a commute like Danny McAskill. Your once boring commute is suddenly changed forever!

Tried to commute like Martyn Ashton once. For a very, very short while.

It still hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Grasping the nettle! Im finally going to do it & cycle to work. Maynooth to the citycentre. I have planned a route that gets me off the train( for the morning anyway) and away from horrible road from leixlip through palmerstown & into the citycentre, I will be going through the strawberry beds & into the park, approx 28-29 kms. I will let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

Bloggsie wrote: »
    and away from horrible road from leixlip through palmerstown & into the citycentre, I will be going through the strawberry beds & into the park, approx 28-29 kms.

Strawberry beds can get quite busy, and there is not much space to be honest. I don't feel too comfortable cycling there in general...

Nice distance BTW, I wish I work a bit further from where I live. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement