Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

i'll be leaving home @ 06.00 approx, looking at 06.30-06.40 going up by the anglers rest, i would hate to have to use that main road in, its FCUKIN awful! Id sooner stay on the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

at 6:30 it should be super quiet, fair enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

First ever race on a road bike on Monday night at the E.S league in Corkagh Park. Was the only one in my class (novices) there so won it by default and was lumped in with the a3's and a4's. Managed to un lap myself by catching one of the a4's and out sprinting him for the line! 22k in 46mins happy out but would have liked to have not won it by default...next week hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bloggsie wrote: »
    i'll be leaving home @ 06.00 approx, looking at 06.30-06.40 going up by the anglers rest, i would hate to have to use that main road in, its FCUKIN awful! Id sooner stay on the train.

Try heading north of Maynooth, around the back of Carton Demesne and route in towards the Phoenix park via Westmanstown. You'll get quieter roads thereabouts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

IMHO you're right to, my rule of thumb is that if I'm within 25m of a turn and it's still blind then I brake. (Plus I'm a chicken) but I don't feel much envy of the guys who rocket past me on Stocking Lane or Cruagh Road because they're taking risks that someone with a hot wife has too much to live for.

There's your problem sure :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Got very little training done last week with the parents and girlfriend over visiting. Left the bike in to the LBS yesterday and picked it up today. Love the feeling of a new BB. Handy 30km with two podiums. http://www.strava.com/activities/163754322/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Leinster 25mile TT this evening. Official time of 1:01:11.
    Happy enough with my time. Forgot my HR strap and cadence magnet which didn't help.Never rode this course before,nearly threw in the towel at 13km,legs just died on me. Decided I'd just ride the course out but the legs came back and I set off at speed again. A few leg sapping drags and a head wind in parts after the turn point made for a tough run home.

40kms avg 39.1km/h max 60.1km/h
    http://www.strava.com/activities/163851764

Edit:Official time updated.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Try heading north of Maynooth, around the back of Carton Demesne and route in towards the Phoenix park via Westmanstown. You'll get quieter roads thereabouts...
    Morning Cdaly,
    Thats the route i have chosen.

Lovely day over here. Headed out with one of the lads from work for a sportive. Let him set pace as he's only getting into cycling so it was a handy enough spin for the most part. Went over probably the toughest climb I've ever cycled up.

13% average for 2km. Maxes out at about 28-29%. http://www.strava.com/segments/7138287?filter=overall

Ended up doing 124km all in all.

• Advertisement

Leinster 25mile TT this evening. Official time of 1:01:11.
    Happy enough with my time. Forgot my HR strap and cadence magnet which didn't help.Never rode this course before,nearly threw in the towel at 13km,legs just died on me. Decided I'd just ride the course out but the legs came back and I set off at speed again. A few leg sapping drags and a head wind in parts after the turn point made for a tough run home.

40kms avg 39.1km/h max 60.1km/h
    http://www.strava.com/activities/163851764

Edit:Official time updated.

Was this on the new PX machine?

13% average for 2km. Maxes out at about 28-29%

44813d1398097134-review-wavetrac-limited-slip-differential-q4z0ltl.gif

Alek wrote: »
    SNIP

Ye it was pretty rough. Only managed to average 9.5km/hr on it. I'd say 80% of the people doing the sportive ended up walking which made it so much harder as people just kept jumping off in front of me.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Was this on the new PX machine?

No,that's still in it's box. Rode the TTs on an Argon 18 E112.

Paddy Martin Randonee.
    161kms door to door.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/164912135

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

rode into work - strange noise coming from the back. Arrived to find my rear mudguard (crap weather here atm) snapped across under where the stay sits (long raceblades). Glued and taped now so have to see how it works on the way home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Right... I'm going to throw this up here for any new cyclists who might wander into this thread or people who are getting back on the bike and finding it tough. I'd like to think at the end of it you might think, if this gobsh1te can do it, so can I.

So... Tuesday last week was my first full year on Strava. To get a bit of a background on this... how I accidently got into cycling might be worth reading

Now I wish I could say I am leading a healthy life style since I made that post but sadly I'm not. Still smoking and generally living a hedonistic lifestyle. I really should have kids or something.

But to celebrate my first year cycling I decided to do the Grand Fondo 7 and for the first time ever go out with a "proper" cyclist instead of my usual solo runs.

My pre cycle preparation on Friday evening involved accidently have more pints than I intended :( I did mention that I'm a gobsh1te.

So as a result I had to get up at 5 am yesterday and get my sh1t together and the bike ready to meet my mate at 7am. I was praying the weather would be crap and he'd cancel :/

Got a text at 6:30 saying "see you at 7" :(

It didn't help that I knew the start of the ride involved going from Saggart to the N81 up "Slade Hill" I didn't know the hill but I know it took my "proper" cycling mate a fair fews goes before he managed to get up it in one go.

Frankly, I was terrified all week thinking about it but thought I can only do my best. I had also made it clear to my mate that he was not to hold back because of me.

Anyways, I made it up that hill in one go :D and I managed to knock out 152km yesterday.

2s93i2r.jpg

My mate, who would have cycled a lot of the route over the last 5 years, also got about 20+ PR's on Strava so I know he didn't hold back and I was more than able to stay along side him.

I went from Firhouse>Corkagh Park (meet mate)>Saggart>N81>Manor Kilbride>Blessington>Naas>Sallins>Clane>Kilcock>Maynooth>Straffan>Celbridge>(at this point his route plan went out the window)>Clane>Sallins>Towards Straffan again but turned off for Newcastle at some point>Baldonnel>then we split up once he'd hit his Fondo and I headed back to Firhouse with two loops of old Court hill to get my 150.

It was an Epic day out on the bike. The Garmin stats were:
    Moving Time 5hrs48 with and avg speed of 26km/h

I had great fun. My only issue was a bad left knee pain that kicked in at 90km but I figured out that I need to move my foot out more from the crank and it went at about 105km (adjust my cleat when I got home)

Below is my first full year of cycling.
    2lxh7bk.jpg

I'm quite proud of that. I don't have much to be proud of so please forgive me and let me away with this one. :o (I broke my ribs at the end of April, thus May's km's)

So if you are getting into cycling I'd highly recommend getting Strava or something similar. They are great personal trainers and motivators. The two yellows'ish columns in that chart are the Strava prove it in January and then the Specialized challenge. Strava made me do them.

You'll also find this forum a great resource for learning cycling stuff and don't be afraid to ask for help. Quite the helpfull bunch around here.

And quite frankly, if I can do the above?.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

65K around wicklow, really felt the burn due to my lack of non commuting cycling this year, was tough.

but descent down to Rathfarnam is awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

140 km , cycled into the c4sc tour in limerick did the 75km route and cycled home again. Bonked a bit on last 25km but took a gel and came around again.

Wife free till Wednesday so will be out every day till then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

121 km nice quiet day with new guys, just a nice relaxed pace during most of the ride back as one of the guys we were with just recovered from having a surgery done on his knees he was out for a few months and another guy was bonking by the time we reached the top of wicklow gap as it was his first time there.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/165356076

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd a mates birthday to attend last night and it looked like it had the makings of an 'into the early hours of the morning' type of affair. So I got out of there as I knew that my spin today would have been written off.

Just as well - I did 70km from home to Rathcoole - Naas - Blessington - Manor Kilbride - Saggart and home. Not the hilliest of spins but I was glad to get out and am I happy I didn't get a as p1ssed as a fart last night.

I had two instances of the motoring type who blow the horn and tell me to use the cycle path. These people think they are doing me a favour........:rolleyes:

Recovery spin today. Got a bit lost so ended up doing more than I had planned but happy all the same. 76 km all in all. http://www.strava.com/activities/165420922

Most amount of kilometres covered in a week since having my ACL replaced (for a second time) back in May of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Got out for 39k yesterday http://www.strava.com/activities/164955112 . Being new to strava, I noticed a segment on a short climb close to home. I dont see myself as being any bit of a climber so was surprised when I ended up on the top spot http://www.strava.com/activities/165432239/segments/3847637221 . So that's another 26k today. The climb is a nice road with no dogs or anything so ideal to do a few loops in the evening and practice my hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had a few lovely pints yesterday evening watching the football. Felt them this morning, legs heavy and suffered with lactic build up towards the end but it was good to get out for a spin all the same
    70 k @ 26.8kmh
    Longwood - Balivor - Athboy - Delvin - Raharney - Balivor - Longwood. http://www.strava.com/activities/165304935/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Drumcondra - Stocking Lane (10mins break) - Sally Gap - Laragh (15mins break to fill bottles) - Glendalough - Wicklow Gap - Blessington (15mins break) - Back the route I came - Wicklow Gap - Glendalough - Laragh (1 hour break) - Roundwood - Monkstown - Dun Laoghaire - Drumcondra.

186km, Ave 23.6km, 7hrs 50mins

Toughest yet for me. Anyone know if I would be able for The Sean Kelly 160km.

65km with 800m climbing. Managed to KOM the Bohernabreena descent with an average of 70km/h, another major descent ticked off the list :)

(If anyone knows of any really good/fast/technical descents in Dublin let me know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Recovery spin today. Got a bit lost so ended up doing more than I had planned but happy all the same. 76 km all in all. http://www.strava.com/activities/165420922

Most amount of kilometres covered in a week since having my ACL replaced (for a second time) back in May of last year.

Sorry for being off topic but what did you do to yourself to have your ACL "Replaced" twice? Where they bike injuries?

logik wrote: »
    Sorry for being off topic but what did you do to yourself to have your ACL "Replaced" twice? Where they bike injuries?

The second time I did it was a bike injury. Came off pretty badly coming around a corner into a curb. First time was playing hurling, I fell over and some guy stood on my knee dislocating it and tearing my acl. Both on the same knee. Apparently it's uncommon to have it replaced twice in one knee and only be 23.

My second longish ride ever with average >30kph. Not that I was trying or something :D, but usually its end up in 27-29kph range... Seriously, I wasn't expecting this with a 4kg pannier and 35mm slicks :pac:

http://app.strava.com/activities/165711275

Legs feel funny when walking downstairs now.

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    My second long ride ever with average >30kph. Not that I was trying or something :D, but usually its end up in 27-29kph range... Seriously, I wasn't expecting this with a 4kg pannier and 35mm slicks :pac:

http://app.strava.com/activities/165711275

Legs feel funny when walking downstairs now.
    stop walking down stairs & your legs will be fine, sit on the sofa, cup of tea in hand!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement