Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Thanks! Problem solved. I was getting out of breath from all this walking.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bunch of shortish spins around Sneem area last week on family holiday, tryng to get some bike time in before the rest of the family got up. Highlights were the back roads around Molls Gap / Gap of Dunloe, and Ballaghbeama, for about 250k over the week. Chatting to a local farmer feeding the cattle after getting a bit lost in the middle of nowhere, and his opening comment was 'what gearing are you running' followed by 'how do you find the Brooks'. Brilliant. I reckon every man, woman and dog in the Kingdom is into cycling.

Also ended up cycling a fair few miles of unpaved bohereens during the course of getting lost and following dead ends, and pleasantly surprised how well the road bike stood up to the abuse (25mm durano plus tyres on fulrcrum 7s).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

not yet wrote: »
    Nearly 10,000 calories, jesus there must be none of you left...

most I have managed on 200km ride with lots of climbing was 5,000 so might be little high, does the elevation seem just tad high would had it more at 7,000-7,500m climbing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I'm going to be down in Kerry in August. I'm looking forward now, not just to cycling those boreens, but to seeing some of those cycling dogs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Chuffed that I managed in the region of 70km+ today. Started from Knocklyon to Dun Laoghaire, onto Sutton and back without a planned route. Glad that I'm starting to get more familiar with the latter areas & Dublin North. Though for some reason out of the blue my CatEye Velo 5 resetted the distance done back to zero when I got to Sutton if anyone can explain this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

James 007 wrote: »
    Drumcondra - Stocking Lane (10mins break) - Sally Gap - Laragh (15mins break to fill bottles) - Glendalough - Wicklow Gap - Blessington (15mins break) - Back the route I came - Wicklow Gap - Glendalough - Laragh (1 hour break) - Roundwood - Monkstown - Dun Laoghaire - Drumcondra.

186km, Ave 23.6km, 7hrs 50mins

Toughest yet for me. Anyone know if I would be able for The Sean Kelly 160km.

Per chance was your 1 hour rest in Laragh from around 4-5pm? and were you wearing a blue jersey? If so... what was that yoke in your back left pocket? Some sort of square'ish device that looked way to big to be an mp3 player but had a wire/jack point coming out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Per chance was your 1 hour rest in Laragh from around 4-5pm? and were you wearing a blue jersey? If so... what was that yoke in your back left pocket? Some sort of square'ish device that looked way to big to be an mp3 player but had a wire/jack point coming out of it?

Yes indeed, that was me, a welcome rest it was. Usually carry my walkman with me. No that was just my phone and one of the spare tubes in a box. I usually carry three tubes ever since one unlucky day on the bike. There were not too many cyclists there at that time in the evening so I am trying to figure where you were. I guess you were at one of the tables in the sheltered area. Was thinking about completing the Sally Gap for a second time (2 Sally Gaps + 2 Wicklow Gaps in the one day) but the world cup was calling me and had to make it home. Chickened out and went back to Dublin via Roundwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

James 007 wrote: »
    Yes indeed, that was me, a welcome rest it was. Usually carry my walkman with me. No that was just my phone and one of the spare tubes in a box. I usually carry three tubes ever since one unlucky day on the bike. There were not too many cyclists there at that time in the evening so I am trying to figure where you were. I guess you were at one of the tables in the sheltered area. Was thinking about completing the Sally Gap for a second time (2 Sally Gaps + 2 Wicklow Gaps in the one day) but the world cup was calling me and had to make it home. Chickened out and went back to Dublin via Roundwood.

I was taking my missus down to Glendalough to visit a grave (in the car) and also for a bit of a wander. I was just sitting by the door on some sort of bench seat enjoying a flapjack and a coffee.
    I did notice you as you looked like you had put in a good hard ride at that stage.

When I was leaving Glendalough about an hour later I passed you heading up to Roundwood, just outside Laragh and commented to my missus that you must love pain.

Here a pic of you being awesome btw. I think your anonymity is quite safe. You had quite the hill a head of you!
    15s1pn9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Fair play for the pic unknown soldier, I just picked the route that I knew best with the least amount of climbing and the R755 sprung to mind. Next time push me over and bundle me into your car and carry me straight back to Dublin. Must admit it was a great day to be outdoors especially in the Glendalough-Laragh-Enniskerry area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

70k today. Portmarnock -Baldoyle- Clontarf- Rathfarnham - Glencullen, coffee in Johnnie Foxes- Eniskerry- Dundrum- City Centre - Portmarnock.

23km average and 585m climbed. First time in the Dublin Mountains and got seriously found out on Cruagh Road and up past Tibradden Wood. Several kms of 9+% and 97kg are not a good combination.

After flying up Coomakista and Molls Gap 10 days ago I began to harbour thoughts that I could climb:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Quick sprint around Howth, Portmarnock and Malahide.

www.strava.com/activities/166261533

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

veetwin wrote: »
    70k today. Portmarnock -Baldoyle- Clontarf- Rathfarnham - Glencullen, coffee in Johnnie Foxes- Eniskerry- Dundrum- City Centre - Portmarnock.

23km average and 585m climbed. First time in the Dublin Mountains and got seriously found out on Cruagh Road and up past Tibradden Wood. Several kms of 9+% and 97kg are not a good combination.

After flying up Coomakista and Molls Gap 10 days ago I began to harbour thoughts that I could climb:rolleyes:

nice spin! You'll be flying up Cruagh in no time ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Did this on Sunday on my SS bowery.

https://www.strava.com/activities/165295123

Longest I've done so far, legs still a little achey after it but enjoyed it thoroughly. 200k jaunt coming up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

50km this evening at 27km/h. My legs felt a bit tired for some reason. N81 - Manor Kilbride - Blessington - Brittas - Ballinascorney.

Todays lesson: I can climb hills but I really do need to improve my descending.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Horrible 36km today... felt like I was pedalling squares. Two weeks off the bike to move house has me knackered. On the plus side though... my new SRAM Rival 22 groupset is great. Took no time to get used to the double-tap shifters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

40km this evening. Greystones to Kiltiernan and back but blew a spoke on the decent into Enniskerry so had to limp home!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

41.6km this evening. My first time up Stocking Lane and Sally Gap.

Trying out that climb for the Rapha Rising challenge on Strava.

I'm crap at climbing, but quite good at descending.

http://www.strava.com/activities/166407542

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

41.6km this evening. My first time up Stocking Lane and Sally Gap.

Trying out that climb for the Rapha Rising challenge on Strava.

I'm crap at climbing, but quite good at descending.

http://www.strava.com/activities/166407542

Descending is the hard part :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colmdonegan

in kerry on holidays, cycled from castlegregory up conor pass and down into Dingle on my hybrid. had quick stop, tunred around and back over conor pass and home. round trip of 50k and lovely day for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

30 km in 59m33s, average speed: 30.2km/h (first time ever over 30 on solo ride), average HR 159

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

having neglected my climbing for distance the last month or so for the Ring of kerry
    I struggled up cruagh rd before work took the left on up to johnnie foxes

tallaght - johnnie foxes - dundrum then walkinstown to work (lots more climbing needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

I cycled to work this morning as per usual, from Limerick to Shannon. It was entirely unremarkable except for the seeing a fox run across the road in front of me, not more than 10 feet away which was quite cool and pleasant.

The rest of the trip was hellish due to a headwind which hopefully hasn't changed direction and will sit firmly behind me on the way home..........hopefully.......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Had a creaking noise on my 7 week old bike and finally managed to track it down well the guys in eurocycles did.
    Turned out to be a head set bearing the bottom one,that was after a bottom bracket and pedals replaced and a few days of trial and error.
    What a pleasure to ride on a quiet machine again :P
    Slightly worried why the bearing gave trouble after such a short time.

Got in two spins the last two days in preparation for the Westsportif on Saturday,think ill rest up between now and then, backside a little tender.

http://www.strava.com/activities/166172135
    http://www.strava.com/activities/166694724

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Wednesday

Longest spin I've done so far:
    128km
    5:22:00
    568m climbing
    24km/hr average
    Max speed 67km/hr

Stillorgan - Phoenix Park - Blanchardstown - Mulhuddart - Ashbourne - Naul - Balbriggan - Skerries - Rush - Lusk - Santry - City Centre - Stillorgan

I did the first 77km in 3:10 so not far off the Meath cut off now and a lot of traffic lights in the first 25km of spin

Looking forward to the 27th of July now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Hill repeats on Cruagh Loop. Across to Johnnie Foxes and back home via Blue Light. Got a couple of top ten placings and 2 KOMs. Legs now hurting.:)

40kms 847m climbing.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/166851377

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

45km on the usual laps of Regent's Park circuit, moving time 1:55-ish. Pretty happy with that, particularly on a weeknight, and particularly because the temperature never dropped below 24c at any stage. Felt pretty good throughout.

Two and a half weeks to my goal race (London Triathlon Olympic distance) - for the first time not feeling like my cycling is a clusterfcuk of awfulness compared to the other two disciplines. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

45km on the usual laps of Regent's Park circuit, moving time 1:55-ish. Pretty happy with that, particularly on a weeknight, and particularly because the temperature never dropped below 24c at any stage. Felt pretty good throughout.

Two and a half weeks to my goal race (London Triathlon Olympic distance) - for the first time not feeling like my cycling is a clusterfcuk of awfulness compared to the other two disciplines. :)

I-Sense-Evil.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

500m into a spin this morning and the cassette hub cracks! Home again to dig out another set of wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

500m into a spin this morning and the cassette hub cracks! Home again to dig out another set of wheels.

Better to happen at 500m rather than 50km!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rathfarnham - Burrow Road - Cruagh loop again over lunch in perfect conditions, slightly faster today thanks to a 73kph descent off pine forest road rather than any climbing skills. Bit of a shock coming down Cruagh as there is a low branch sticking out into the road after a blind bend, that I just about managed to duck under. I'd advise any tall lads or lassies coming down that way to keep a well tucked position!

May sneak out again this evening, if I can get out with no one noticing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement