Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

500m into a spin this morning and the cassette hub cracks! Home again to dig out another set of wheels.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Better to happen at 500m rather than 50km!
    Precisely what I was thinking as it happened. :)

Missed the club spin as a result but when I got sorted with another set of wheels I headed to the top of Kippure for the first time. I often passed by it but never ventured up before. The last km or so to the mast was tough going!

http://app.strava.com/activities/167197756

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Didn't really sleep last night, as usual, so got up at 5 and seeing the "still" trees and beautiful sunrise, decided on an extra long commute to work. Left at 6am aaaaaaaaaaand got a puncture in Dundrum at 6.20

Sorted the issue out but headed straight to work as I thought the rear wheel needed to be pumped up properly.

When I used my track pump at work the rear was already at 125 psi. :eek:

Fairplay to the person on here who recommended this pump

It's savage.

I now need to buy some sort of pressure gauge to carry with me :)

Sadly only 18km done Firhourse>Dundrum>Walkinstown>Parkwest'ish.

I'll never be a "Donal" at this rate. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Just completed my first run out with some of the guys from Swans Curragha. Lovely evening ride through some very nice scenery. ~45 km in ~1:45. Not bad for the Lycra Hippo!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I had planned to head out this evening at 6pm but my buddy had an issue with a puncture. So I called down to his house to help him. It turned out his spare was also punctured. We had planned on 40km but we cut it short to 32km.

We made a last minute decision on the N81 to head up Seskin. I felt like sh1t climbing that hill - I felt like I was struggling but was surprised to find that I managed 12 PBs on the climb.

I think I'm going to focus on Seskin rather than the Embankment.

208km in the last 7 days with 1,500m so I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I headed to the top of Kippure for the first time. I often passed by it but never ventured up before. The last km or so to the mast was tough going!

I did Kippure last month - the last km is hard work. It looks like it's over then as you round the right hand bend it keeps going up :eek:

The descent is dodgy - lots of loose gravel in places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

http://www.strava.com/activities/167268273
    First spin in about 10 days. Last time out my knees were killing me for about
    four days after.:( Raised saddle about 5mm and moved it forward about 10mm before i went out this evening.
    Bike felt better-like it was easier to pedal but felt a little twitchy.
    No real pain in knees yet since getting home but tomorrow could be a different story.
    Going to get proper bike fitting soon but I want to get clipless pedals sorted first as I'm still using toe clips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    I did Kippure last month - the last km is hard work. It looks like it's over then as you round the right hand bend it keeps going up :eek:.....
    Yea.......kept thinking to myself "I'm there" as the mast was omnipresent but the bloody road kept going around and upwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Cycled around Central Park with my son this morning. Glorious. We even tried cycling downtown a few blocks. Drivers incredibly courteous. Good wide cycle lanes, especially in the park.

Garmin was dead so my saddo ambitions of extending my strava heat map across the pond lie dashed and unfulfilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

46km with a buddy with one decent climb, first time up that drag in two years. Got left for dead but got there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

A tired 40km in NCD after work Friday evening. Highlight was the new tarmac on the road to Oldtown from the R125 Swords Road. Get on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Rapha Rising challenge started today. With a sportive in Leeds tomorrow that looks fairly arduous I decided last night to try get 1500m to 2000m done today. Unfortunately, the roads were flooded. Managed to get 1000m done but decided to call it quits early as I came a cropper on the penultimate descent. http://www.strava.com/activities/167931995

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

56 km at lunch time averaging 27 , dead legs after climb last night . Gone backwards over last month due to lack of training, will have a busy week next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Rapha Rising Day 1: Stocking Lane, then Stocking Lane and Sally Gap.

1,286 meters over 63.8km.

The challenge is going to be nigh on impossible.

Seen a guys getting tended to by an ambulance on my way down the final climb. It goes to show how technical descending is, and one should never lose concentration.

http://www.strava.com/activities/167939245

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

I'm trying to get into cycling (there's so much i want to learn) and went for a ride today.

I don't have any gear bar a bike and helmet but i've ordered bib shorts and i'll try to pick up some more gear when i can afford to!

I went about 25k around the locality and up a very steep hill. I found the first 5k very hard as i was quite stiff but after that i felt great.

I hope to start doing some longer rides and maybe try and find some other cyclists in the area that could teach me a thing or two - theres a local club that i must enqure about although i might try and build up some fitness first.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

58.5k with 892m of climbing which is rapha day 1 for me. Bit annoyed as when I saved the route first it was giving 60.5k with 952m of climbing. Just means iv to pick up the slack over the next few days http://www.strava.com/activities/167948328

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭ChainWhip

Longest spin of the year to date. 136km at 24kmph

http://www.strava.com/activities/167983056

Drumcondra - Stocking Lane - Sally Gap - N81 - back through town - loop of Howth - loop of Malahide - Drumcondra.

What weird weather too. Got rained on up on the Gap, Howth was fogged over, and it was roasting coming through Malahide.

Forgot the Rapha rising challenge started today too; guess that's tomorrow sorted :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

went down gorey today with some mates lotsa waiting as one guy in the group bonked.. stopped in bray on the way back for some coffee meet a boardsie there who came over when he saw me in the new boards kit:-) ( totally forgot your name if your here nice to meet you).. was also gonna go straight to howth afterwards but missus called so had to abandon it 210 kms@ 25.5kmh average
    http://www.strava.com/activities/168044702

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

45km this evening Greystones to Carrickmines up the Glenamuck rd and back via Enniskerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

160 km yesterday in the Westportif. My longest spin by around 40km and a beautiful route.

MapMyRide Ko'd after 110km, but the event was also chip timed. Total elapsed time was 6.10 and we timed 30 minutes of breaks overall, leaving a rough average of 29.3 kmph for the whole thing. Some really enjoyable group riding for the majority of the event. As a general solo / group of 3 cyclist, it certainly makes for a big change. Going to have to join a club soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Yesterdays ride...........

167.4 km (Westportif and then home)

Moving time 5 hrs 33 mins
    Total time 6 hrs 26 mins
    Average moving speed 30.1km/hr

Delighted to get my first ever 100 miles in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Rapha Rising Day 1: Stocking Lane, then Stocking Lane and Sally Gap.

1,286 meters over 63.8km.

The challenge is going to be nigh on impossible.

Seen a guys getting tended to by an ambulance on my way down the final climb. It goes to show how technical descending is, and one should never lose concentration.

http://www.strava.com/activities/167939245

Was the faller on Old Military road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

40 km recovery spin( phoenix park) with the missus today after yesterdays long spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The missus took the kids away for the day so I had no time constraints and decided I'd go for a good spin. Tour of Meath Next week so I wanted to make sure I'd manage the 100k without calving.
    I set off with no real plan of where I'd go, just decided I'd go for 2 hours roughly into the wind and wherever I was then I'd head for home. Kept it nice and steady and made Balivor in good time, then took the back roads across to Delvin. From there I headed through Collinstown and on to Castlepollard. At that stage I was 50 k away so I decided I'd make my way through Crookedwood and on to Mullingar and then back through Kinnegad and home to Longwood. I also realised that I was well on course to break the 100k under 4 hours on the hybrid so I was delighted.
    About halfway between Castlepollard and Crookedwood that changed. A bad accident between 2 cars had the road blocked and I turned around and headed back the way I came. Some families out there are going to be going through hell right now. Hopefully everyone will be ok.
    It took me a good while to settle back into a rhythm thinking about the crash but I got going again and got the wind behind me for a few ks and pushed on.
    As if to remind me of my own mortality some fúckwit in an Audi decided to overtake me going round a corner while a van was coming the opposite direction. Obviously brakes are optional on fúckwit edition Audis because he figured the best course of action was to cut straight across me instead of slowing down. The van jammed on and just about avoided the fúckwit. Luckily for me I was able to stay upright despite going into the grass verge.
    Anyhoo, maybe it was the adrenaline but I got a bit of a spurt about me and in no time at all I was back in Balivor and then heading for home. The adrenaline wore off. The legs went on fire but I was only a few k from home so I suffered but got here.

I set some goals at the start of the year and said if I could acchieve them I'd buy a proper Road bike.
    1/ lose weight- dropped from 80 to 73kg.
    2/ do 50 k under 2 hours- ya, no bother
    3/ do 30 k @ 30kmh- done
    4/ do 50 k @ 30kmh- done
    5/ do 100k- done
    6/ do 100k under 4 hours....110k @ 26.7kmh- goal of 100k@25kmh average speed SMASHED. Longest spin to date too www.strava.com/activities/168401986
    Dee fúkn Lighted.
    The new bike arrives tuesday or wednesday :)
    I'll do the tour of Meath next week on the hybrid as a mark of respect to it and then it shall reside in the shed for the next few months until the weather turns to sh!t.
    And now I'm going to lie down because I'm bo!!oxed

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Just a short 60 ish k today
    Went tallaght celbridge Athgoe kilteel Slade valley balnascorney tallaght,

Managed to break two spokes on the back,just snapped on a nice flat road,visit to the lbs tomorrow to sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Rock Savage 200km Audax ride.
    205kms.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/168636010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

205kms.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/168636010

You did 5km too much. Doesn't count now.

Raam wrote: »
    You did 5km too much. Doesn't count now.

God damn it.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It was nice to meet you :)

http://app.strava.com/activities/168659667

Likewise Alek.

Kept meaning to ask who you were on Boards. Thought we might have caught you at the finish. We were on a nice leisurely pace today.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice 110k spin around wicklow and dublin, checking out some new roads... Deansgrange-Tassie-Kilternan-Johnny Fox's (I've just discovered there's a water pump thing beside J.Fox's), then up pine forest valley and down to Tibradden. I've often gone up Cruagh to the ice cream van, then left onto the feather beds and down into Glencree, but never turned right to go down into Bohernabreena. Wanted to go around by Kilbride, Blesso and WW Gap, so down I went. Oooo - that's long and steep, and not something to lightly ascend, I'd bet. Nice quiet country roads down there in the valley, tho - then off Kilpedder (?) rifle range and along to Kilbride, along a pretty main road that I've never been on before. Not much traffic, decent surface... Stopped in Blessington for chips (Macari's do a good chip) then ten easy k's to Valleymount, and over the Gap to Laragh for a coffee and a twix. Just a touch of tailwind, really makes a difference. Surface going down the gap to Laragh not the mae west, tho. Back to Bray via main road and long hill into Kilmac.

No idea of average speed (speedo is on bike, bike is in shed, Brownian is on his ass in the kitchen), but wasn't very fast. Nice spin all the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement