Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Rock Savage 200km Audax ride.
    205kms.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/168636010
    Alek wrote: »

Lookin at that ye both rode an area bigger than The Isle of Man :eek:
    Thats seriously impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Nice spin to Laragh, on to Sally Gap and then headed for Luggala when I came across this,

315344.jpg
    Bus at Luggala.jpg

Quite impressive that a double decker bus with 83 aboard managed to get up the hill past the Luggala entrance, but the more i think about it , I hope it's not the start of the new trend in tourist buses around there. It took up the entire width of the road in some places. There are some nice descents around there, meeting that could make for nasty surprise. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

my first spin in a number of weeks, 15 kms at the begining of june dosent really count. did a recon of my route from home to work. an hour & 6 from home to the parkagte st entrance to the park (10-15 mins more to the office) the route planner has the spin down as 28kms, was happy with my average considering the lack of cycling recently.
    The hill going past the anglers rest in the strawberry beds is something to behold, short in length, but at the top it nucking futs, just as I got there the bloody traffic lights changed. AGHHHHH.

http://app.strava.com/activities/168393977

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Was the faller on Old Military road?

Stocking Lane, after the viewing point on the descent. At about 3pm.
    I wonder how their doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

3 x Taylors to the Masts this morning.

Sometimes I get totally sucked in by the strava challenges, this one will hopefully come with bonus weight loss and strength gain.

It was a beautiful morning for a spin and the desultory aftermath of the Longitude concerts made me feel even healthier (smugger) on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Rapha Rising Day 1: Stocking Lane, then Stocking Lane and Sally Gap.

1,286 meters over 63.8km.

The challenge is going to be nigh on impossible.

Seen a guys getting tended to by an ambulance on my way down the final climb. It goes to show how technical descending is, and one should never lose concentration.

http://www.strava.com/activities/167939245

Taylors to the masts gives you a lot of bang for your buck. 310m every half an hour and a nice set of switchbacks coming back down through Ticknock carpark area. Best of luck with the challenge.

There's a lot of flat heading over to the Sallyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

Had a beautiful day out yesterday, doing as many hills as I could using Larragh as my base.

Larragh - Wicklow Gap - Turn off for Lakes - Larragh - Old Military Road - Sally Gap - Back to Larragh - Shay Elliot Easy Side - Glenmalure - Shay Elliot B@£$%*& Side - Larragh - Glendalough Green Cafe for a nosh up :)

Descending Wicklow Gap coming through Glendasan, hit 90KMH and the bike started to shake.

I had a brief moment of where can I ditch the bike and not hurt myself too badly :)

Then I remembered all the advice that I have heard over the years, a veritable flood it was :)

Rose slightly off the saddle, planted my left foot hard at 6 o'clock, right knee pushing hard against top tube, hand lightly on the drops, arms bent, no brakes, head up, using my hips/knee to steer and waited for the fecking thing to slow down. Couple of scary moments with rough surface :( No cars/bikes in sight and tried to relax :)

Got out of the wobble and then started to brake, slowly still holding the bike steady. Got it down to 55 kmh and then had the hammer rush hit me.... I frightened the bejaysus out of two cyclist coming up the hill when I let out a roar.

Do you know, I never felt so alive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Stocking Lane, after the viewing point on the descent. At about 3pm.
    I wonder how their doing.

Possibly this fella.

http://www.strava.com/activities/167929855/overview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

This rapha rising thing is not going my way at all. Went out this morning and had planned to do a decent amount of climbing. Legs were dead and got next to no sleep. Managed 500m http://www.strava.com/activities/168762724.

Went out after work as well and 6 reps in I got really hungry and my legs started to fade pretty quickly. http://www.strava.com/activities/169004267/.

Bed early tonight and hit it hard tomorrow hopefully and bringing some dates. At least tomorrow I'll have completed 50% if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Looks like he went from 66km/h to 0..ouch..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

This was mine today. Beautiful morning. Hope everyone got out for a piece of it.

Zyzz wrote: »
    Looks like he went from 66km/h to 0..ouch..

:( Not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

At work today, but yesterday for me:

Drumcondra - Stocking Lane - Old Miltitary Road - Off road to Kippure mast (first time) - Sally Gap - Turned right down R759 towards Blessington - N81 - Right for R114 - Up via Butter Mountain-Ballyfolan - Turned left up R759 - Sally Gap - Laragh (Coffee & cake) - Roundwood - Stillorglin - Drumcondra. All in all 160km, but for me alot of climbing, average 23.5km/hr.

Rapha Rising Day 3: Cruagh Rd. and Stocking Lane. 926 meters in 47.7km, 25% of the way there, 40th in Ireland.

I think I just learned how to relax my upper body when climbing.

Went up to Johnny Foxes and back down. It was my first descent of Cruagh Road. I can say that the sweeping bends made it really enjoyable and safer than the Stocking Lane descent.

Ate a banana and went up Stocking Lane. I was so surprised how much easier I found the climbing this evening. I do love the descent of Stocking Lane because it's so technical.

Nothing eventful happened, except seeing a couple sucking face in Featherbeds.

I wore my Cycle Against Suicide 2014 jersey, I must say that I really underestimated the quality of it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/169069478

Peterx wrote: »
    Taylors to the masts gives you a lot of bang for your buck. 310m every half an hour and a nice set of switchbacks coming back down through Ticknock carpark area. Best of luck with the challenge.

There's a lot of flat heading over to the Sallyer.

Thanks, where are you talking about, do you have a link to your Strava ride, or the segment? I moved to Dublin about three weeks ago I have little to no idea where things are.

Best of Luck you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Thanks, where are you talking about, do you have a link to your Strava ride, or the segment? I moved to Dublin about three weeks ago I have little to no idea where things are.

Best of Luck you too.

The bit in the middle of this loop. It's a road through the forest that leads up to the masts.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/154401513

Might head up that way tomorrow evening if you're heading out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Bloody hell, the numbers some people are putting up for Rapha Rising! Thought I was doing well but I'm not even in the top 3000.
    Might have to start getting out twice a day.

It was my first descent of Cruagh Road. I can say that the sweeping bends made it really enjoyable and safer than the Stocking Lane descent.

Stocking lane feels much safer to me. But maybe it's just because the surface is nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

SMacX wrote: »
    Had a beautiful day out yesterday, doing as many hills as I could using Larragh as my base.

Larragh - Wicklow Gap - Turn off for Lakes - Larragh - Old Military Road - Sally Gap - Back to Larragh - Shay Elliot Easy Side - Glenmalure - Shay Elliot B@£$%*& Side - Larragh - Glendalough Green Cafe for a nosh up :)

Descending Wicklow Gap coming through Glendasan, hit 90KMH and the bike started to shake.

I had a brief moment of where can I ditch the bike and not hurt myself too badly :)

Then I remembered all the advice that I have heard over the years, a veritable flood it was :)

Rose slightly off the saddle, planted my left foot hard at 6 o'clock, right knee pushing hard against top tube, hand lightly on the drops, arms bent, no brakes, head up, using my hips/knee to steer and waited for the fecking thing to slow down. Couple of scary moments with rough surface :( No cars/bikes in sight and tried to relax :)

Got out of the wobble and then started to brake, slowly still holding the bike steady. Got it down to 55 kmh and then had the hammer rush hit me.... I frightened the bejaysus out of two cyclist coming up the hill when I let out a roar.

Do you know, I never felt so alive :)
    i havent managed anything that fast & my speeds scared the Sh1te out of me, all I can say is sweet mother of jebus, im kaking myself just thinking about that speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

My gear cable broke yesterday. It didn't snap just frayed at the shifter to the rear wouldn't shift. Ended up cycling in the highest gear as I didn't wish to cross chain. I've decided single speeds with a 52/11 wouldn't be fun. The good news is my local bike shop refused to charge me for the replacement cable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

The bit in the middle of this loop. It's a road through the forest that leads up to the masts.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/154401513

Might head up that way tomorrow evening if you're heading out.

That one misses out on Taylors - this one gives 319 metres of climbing: Taylors - Kellystown - Three Rock KOM

And just down the road, Kilmashogue Lane is nice and steep: link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

route66 wrote: »
    That one misses out on Taylors - this one gives 319 metres of climbing: Taylors - Kellystown - Three Rock KOM
    Yeah, I was been lazy when I was searching back through my uploads. I have one somewhere where I've gone that route. Repeats of that are on the cards for this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

route66 wrote: »

And just down the road, Kilmashogue Lane is nice and steep: link

kilmashogue possibly the scariest descent iv done, quiet few cars, stones, and 10% + never mind the up hill part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

manafana wrote: »
    kilmashogue possibly the scariest descent iv done, quiet few cars, stones, and 10% + never mind the up hill part.

It's safe enough if you match your speed on the descent with the ascent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

Terenure > Stocking Lane > Viewing area > Military Rd > (quick detour up to Kippure OMG last few metres are hell), > Sally gap > R559 / Lough Tay > Back Road towards Enniskerry > Dundrum > Terenure.

Only 71 km with 1142 m climbing. Was very hot. Kippure took it out of me. Only averaged 18 km ph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

alentejo wrote: »
    Terenure > Stocking Lane > Viewing area > Military Rd > (quick detour up to Kippure OMG last few metres are hell), > Sally gap > R559 / Lough Tay > Back Road towards Enniskerry > Dundrum > Terenure.

Only 71 km with 1142 m climbing. Was very hot. Kippure took it out of me. Only averaged 18 km ph.

Sounds a nice route. Might give it a pop tomorrow on MTB as it is relatively new and I want to get some KMs on it before I take it away on a tour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rathfarnham - Cruagh - Sallygap and back, 42k at 23kph. Looked at Kippure as I passed it and thought no wucking fay, Cruagh seemed quite tough enough today. :) Mist was a bit mad above Lough Bray, and the sheep and lone black goat were in slalom mode. Might try and get back up there tomorrow for an early pre-work spin if I can get my ass out of bed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

manafana wrote: »

Kilmashogue lane - Coilte track - Ticknock Road is also a nice loop, but you need tyres that can handle a bit of gravel. I do it on the hybrid for something different every now and again. I reckon you should be able follow the Coilte fire roads and come out on Ballyedmunduff road, but have yet to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

alentejo wrote: »

Alentejo, I did a slightly different route, however I am not too sure if I got the 1,000m of climbing correct, I do not have Strava, anyone care to hazard a guess at the climbing for us. Rathfarnham to Sally Gap = 446m , Kippure = 289m, R114 to R759 to Sally Gap = 262m. Is this correct.
    James 007 wrote: »
    At work today, but yesterday for me:

Drumcondra - Stocking Lane - Old Miltitary Road - Off road to Kippure mast (first time) - Sally Gap - Turned right down R759 towards Blessington - N81 - Right for R114 - Up via Butter Mountain-Ballyfolan - Turned left up R759 - Sally Gap - Laragh (Coffee & cake) - Roundwood - Stillorglin - Drumcondra. All in all 160km, but for me alot of climbing, average 23.5km/hr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

First time posting a story here.

I now live in Glasgow and excitment is building with the upcoming Commonwealth games. I had to collect a parcel which involved cycling past the games village. On my way home, I spotted the Belize cycling team looking lost so stopped and asked if they wanted directions. They were hoping to recce the TT route but had no idea which way to go. As I was in no rush home I lead them round the course. They're a lovely bunch of guys... On some gorgeous bikes. It was quite funny them saying they were cold while half of Glasgow was taps aff (it was 28deg tonight).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

James 007 - used google maps.
    Rathfarnham to Sallygap aprox 575 m climb (147 descent), Kippure 221, Sallygap to L1036 (back road to Enniskerry) aprox 94 m climb with 332 m descent and L1036 > Enniskerry > Dundrum 197 climb , 280 descent. Gives a total climb of 1087 aprox gain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement