Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

40 odd k at very handy pace, had brother in law out for his first 40k plus cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Last cycle before Dolomites on Friday. Got as far as Stepaside from Ballsbridge. Serious clicking noise from the crank when cycle under force. Headed home. Might need a substitute bike.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

mal1 wrote: »
    Last cycle before Dolomites on Friday. Got as far as Stepaside from Ballsbridge. Serious clicking noise from the crank when cycle under force. Headed home. Might need a substitute bike.:mad:

When was the last time the bottom bracket was replaced? Are the pedals tightened up properly? All the bolts in the chainring tight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Sarz91 wrote: »
    When was the last time the bottom bracket was replaced? Are the pedals tightened up properly? All the bolts in the chainring tight?

Second hand bike so not sure about the bottom bracket. I changed the pedals when I got home and it's still there. I also tightened the chainring blots. All with no luck.

It's a FSA crank. I think I'll drop it into the bike shop tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

route66 wrote: »
    That one misses out on Taylors - this one gives 319 metres of climbing: Taylors - Kellystown - Three Rock KOM

And just down the road, Kilmashogue Lane is nice and steep: link

That's the one, i dunno why he didn't call it Taylors to the Masts. Did it a couple of times this evening but got greedy for metres and suffered on the last one. It was very cool to see the mist gradually roll in off the sea and eventually wrap around the 3 Rock masts, having started half way up the RTE mast in the distance.

There were a good few lads repping it this evening, presumably for the Rapha Rising. And a personal trainer directing two clients on the roadway just inside the second barrier. I know he was a personal trainer as his T-shirt said so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Peterx wrote: »
    There were a good few lads repping it this evening, presumably for the Rapha Rising. And a personal trainer directing two clients on the roadway just inside the second barrier. I know he was a personal trainer as his T-shirt said so :)

Guilty as charged.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/169523089
    Taylors to the mast x3.
    33kms 1,077m climbing.

I passed that personal trainer and he was screaming faster faster to whoever was doing some sort of overhead punching while sitting on the road. His shouting quickened my pace for a bit.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Me too
    Taylors to the mast x 4
    http://www.strava.com/activities/169546254

50km and 1600m climbing.

It was hideously warm, I was dripping sweat all over my bike's stem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Jesus lads doing that once is a pain is the bellix without doing repeats on it.

You were in your Orwell kit,right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You were in your Orwell kit,right?

Yes, Orwell top, boards shorts. I was fairly sure I recognsed you but just in case I didn't want to shout "Tax Man" at some randomer!

I'm surprised you recognised the Orwell top as I had to have it completely open the whole time to try and let some of the unbelievable heat out! I'm not made for temperatures above 20 degrees :)

• Advertisement

The heat was a killer yesterday. Fair play for doing it four times. I ran out of time but the legs were starting to scream enough already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

My cycle story was last thursday (not today) because the bruises take a few days to come up .... :(

Having a beautiful commute into Dublin in the afternoon sunshine, and proceeding down the Naas Road into Inchicore. the road at that point is a single lane and a luas lane - and a luas had just left the Bluebell stop. Traffic was moving slowly and I was undertaking legally a black mondeo. The driver was obviously spooked by the luas passing him (fellow culchie?, unaware driver?) and veered into the curb as it passed, hitting my dropbars and shoulder. Thankfully I was able to left break and fall off the bike behind the car before any wheels were pulled under his.

Strava tells me I was doing 26kmph before zero, but also shows adrenaline and shock kicking in where I picked myself up, quickly explained to the driver that trams don't f'sking change lanes and belting off home before any pain kicked in (like the family pet who gets a whack from a car?). Thankfully, just heavy bruising and road rash was my lucky escape.

So today's lesson, if you do get knocked down - take a couple of minutes to get your breath back and to check yourself (and bike) for damage and swap details with the driver.
    5xkfyVjs.jpg16anSQOs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

if you've seen the Life if Brianyou recognise this quote, You Lucky B*****d, you lucky lucky B*****d!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Decided to take a spin up to pine forest road over lunch. Road works at the bottom of Cruagh, followed by roadworks on Ballyedmonduff road, followed by roadworks at Taylors three rock. For some stupid reason, I decided to go back via Whitechurch, after checking with a workman that it was more or less passable. Major roadworks and enough sticky tar to make me feel like I way cycling on fly paper for the rest of the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

100k out to Howth with a clubmate. Very warm but a beautiful day to be out. No beeps or buzzing from cars so the weather chills everyone. Clubmate got a dose of 'hotfoot' 10k from home. I think this a severe numbing of the foot which I have experienced in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Warm out there today. G500 between 24c & 28c for my spin.

D12 -> Viewpoint -> Sally Gap -> Lough Tay -> Enniskerry -> Dundrum -> D12

Had 2 bottles but still ran short on Lough Tay -> Enniskerry leg. Should have detoured to Roundwood but kept on to Enniskerry for a beautiful 1l of water.

Roads very tacky in places. Was on MTB with 2.25" tyres so a weird slurping/gluey sound under the tyres in the sun.

67kms in 3h45m with 1050m at around 17.9kms.

Will be the road bike with 25mm the next time I'm out & about on sticky roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Last nights spin http://www.strava.com/activities/169450969. Looks like thats it for me with regards to the Rapha Rising Challenge or cycling in general for the next week or so. My right knee has been at me for quite a while now. Went physio today as was told I have Chondromalacia Patellae.

Kilmashogue lane--Tibradden lane--Cruagh rd/Stocking lane loop.

40.9kms 1,226m climbing.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/170001449

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Went for a short spin today, after my horrible depressing spin Monday this one was a major boost...

43.4km @33.8km/h

http://www.strava.com/activities/169942468/segments/3958519408

Forced to stop once with a chain issue and another time to offer help to a broken down cyclist...Good spin, great speed and a big confidence boost

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Went out for 39k today http://www.strava.com/activities/169963178 . Also my rapha has gone to sh!te , the beer saturday night, the fear sunday, lazy monday and no real power in my legs for repeats last night has killed it off. Also I met a few guys on the road along the n72 beyond the sandpit house on the mallow side, they looked as surprised to see me as I was to see them. Also met a lone cyclist on the Coolykereen cross so if any of ye cast an eye on this hello again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

The usual around Howth. Met a guy who ordered a canyon so gave him a go of mine. He seemed pretty happy with the two min spin on it despite having the wrong clips!

https://www.strava.com/activities/170006397

Beat my previous time going from bottom to the summit so happy with that. Might go out again tomorrow and leave it til Sundays spin around Meath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

cheerspal wrote: »
    The usual around Howth. Met a guy who ordered a canyon so gave him a go of mine. He seemed pretty happy with the two min spin on it despite having the wrong clips!

https://www.strava.com/activities/170006397

Beat my previous time going from bottom to the summit so happy with that. Might go out again tomorrow and leave it til Sundays spin around Meath!

Was hardly a member of AGS was he?

Was hardly a member of AGS was he?

What's AGS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

cheerspal wrote: »
    What's AGS?

An Garda Síochána.

crosstownk wrote: »
    An Garda Síochána.

Well he wasn't in uniform!

Why would you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Cracking spin last night. Finally escaped the warm embrace of the TaylorMast zone and headed up Kippure for a change. The weather, the paraponters, the weather, the bilberries, it was fantastic.
    Heading on across towards Glenmacnass from the Sallyer I was just loving it. Passed a slow tourist car and he passed back. Went to pass him again on another fast section and had a mad crash/double puncture whilst pulling back in. T'was all very dramatic and with blood all over my elbow and my poor repairing collarbone feeling very achey I felt a bit stupid.
    Fixed both punctures after reassuring the poor car tourists it was all Ok and went from feeling stupid to mildly heroic as I cycled on until I got another feckin puncture. I will just have to start carrying 3 tubes. Then I just rimmed it all the way down from Above Glenmacnass to Laragh where I picked up my lift. The slowest descent of Glenmacnass ever.

I had great plans to finish off the Rapha Rising with two x Wicklow Gap last night and have two blessed rest days today and tomorrow but I see 3 x TaylorMasting is in my future today! Boo hoo :) could be worse, the collarbone could have re-broken as opposed to just getting looser again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Home - Viewing Point - home - work. Took a wrong turn and only realised I'm climbing Cruagh Road and not Stocking Lane at the bridge, maybe 2/3 up the hill ;) Still 27 cups earned. Mission accomplished ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Cycling home last night on my daily commute as per usual, nearly home, could smell the BBQ and was dreaming of chard uncooked meat then bang in the mouth a bumble bee, big lad, took me a while to get him out and he stung me in the bottom lip on his way out. Managed to suck and spit the sting out, swelled up for about 30mins then went back down.

Have had my fair share of flys in my time but this was a first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Headed out for a relaxed spin up to Killiney hill last night with a couple of mates just getting back into the cycling, so was leisurely enough! After a nice lucozade with them in the Druids chair I decided to hang around and do a few hill repeats up the vico road side. I think all the talk of them on here in the last few days kicked me into gear!

First time doing any kind of hill repeats and managed to get 5 done. Probably could have done one or two more but it was getting dark! Happy with how the legs felt, out to Howth tonight for more of the same!

50k with 600 meters climbing at 24.5kph (including Ranelagh - Dalkey @ 20kph with the lads!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PeterMcC

Only taken up cycling 2 weeks today. Got myself a Cube Pelonton Compact 2014

Used MapMyRide for the first 3 cycles, about 10 miles each just to get me back into the swing of things. But then switched to Strava.

First 'big' cycle was from Derry to Buncrana and back. Didn't do too bad for a novice

http://www.strava.com/activities/167867477

Have been sticking to 15 -20 miles after that.

Went out yesterday in 26 degree heat and completed just shy of 25 miles. Was tough going but still enjoyable.

http://www.strava.com/activities/169919551

Slowly working my way up to be able to doing 100 miles in a single go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement