Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

PeterMcC wrote: »

What are "mi" and "ft" ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PeterMcC

blobbie wrote: »
    What are "mi" and "ft" ??

Miles & Feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

PeterMcC wrote: »
    Miles & Feet

I know what 'feet' are - they're for pedalling - but this 'miles' thing?

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#24 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭PeterMcC

quozl wrote: »
    I know what 'feet' are - they're for pedalling - but this 'miles' thing?

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#24 ;)

Apologies.

As stated a novice at this.

Fixed now

http://www.strava.com/activities/169919551

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Got 28km out of today from Knocklyon - Rockbrook - through Glencullen - left turn past Johnnie Foxes and finally onto Taylor's Lane where my back tyre punctured, then suddenly gave way in the middle of the roundabout. Was hoping to continue onto the city centre and back to Knocklyon to get a few more km in. Still, I was pretty lucky to be as near to the house as I was when my tyre came off, let alone just happening to not be in heavy traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

If that was yourself on a black hybrid wearing a green Boards top, I saw you on the roundabout. The back tyre letting go would explain the strange line you took going past me.

If that was yourself on a black hybrid wearing a green Boards top, I saw you on the roundabout. The back tyre letting go would explain the strange line you took going past me.

If this was about 1.5 / 2 hours ago it may well have been! Yeah, black and green MTB, the original front wheel was damaged a while back so fitted a narrower tyre to a new wheel to make cycling a bit more efficient on the road. Apologies if I made any unexpected manoeuvres or got in the way, the tyre went extremely quickly. No wonder why considering I'm repairing it now and just pulled out a 1.5 inch nail lodged in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lovely spin up to the Sally gap via Cruagh and back for a very relaxed 42k @22kph. Climbing getting slower, descending getting faster, average speed staying the same. Fair number of cyclists in around the Military road this evening.

Yeah would've been just after 5pm. No apologies needed.I was coming from Scholarstown direction and was waiting to enter the roundabout as you passed by.Just saw you coming around taking a very wide line but with a tyre deflating I can understand your line.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Rapha Rising Day 6: Cruagh Rd. and RTE Mast at Kippure.
    1,003 meters climbed over 43.9km.

http://www.strava.com/activities/170459720

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Rolling spin from Dunshaughlin out to Bective and up Tara preparing for the An Post tour at the weekend. Very warm day and cross headwind for most of the spin. 29kmh average

More of the same this evening.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/170482166
    36kms 1,104m climbing.

Rapha Rising Day 6: Cruagh Rd. and RTE Mast at Kippure.
    1,003 meters climbed over 43.9km.

Were you passed by two motorbikes and a bike just before the roundabout coming down Stocking Lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Quick hop from laragh to aughavannagh and back this evening. Sunset over lug really pretty. Met about six cars total. Should have taken pictures really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

58km @ 25km p/h in 2 hours 20min. 783m gain.

Glorious day for a ride. Cycled from town to howth, climbed the right hand side of the church twice, once from the village to the summit and another from the other side to the summit before returning back to clontarf and onwards to finglas. Recorded a few personal bests today so it made for a nice ride.

http://app.strava.com/activities/170395039

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Taylors to the masts again today for me. More lovely hot sunshine and finally finished the Rapha challenge after last night's punctures. Rest day tomorrow.
    Pints in Taylors on Sunday now just seems the thing to do, I've cycled past enough times in the last 6 days!

Well done Peterx on completing the challenge. Was up there again myself this evening. I've 5,357m on the clock. Rest day tomorrow and some major suffering on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

I havent been on my bike in nearly 6 months due to pure lazyness. Went out this morning thinking I could be Rafa Majka and go over Howth hill the Village side. Got as far as the back of the church and did a U turn. Enthusiasm and been 2 stone overweight dont go well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Day off work today so got a spin in this morning. 73km and was in home at about 20 past 9!!
    Fabulous morning. Real heat in the air even at 9am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Well done Peterx on completing the challenge. Was up there again myself this evening. I've 5,357m on the clock. Rest day tomorrow and some major suffering on Saturday.

Best of luck tomorrow. As you are suffering away just think of Johnny McCabe doing it on fireroads on a mountain bike, that should help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 SMacX

neris wrote: »
    I havent been on my bike in nearly 6 months due to pure lazyness. Went out this morning thinking I could be Rafa Majka and go over Howth hill the Village side. Got as far as the back of the church and did a U turn. Enthusiasm and been 2 stone overweight dont go well.

Hi Neris.

At one stage in my life I was 21 stone in weight, 42 inch waist, 6 foot 2 inches in height and all fecked up health wise.

I got back cycling, did my first Galway Cycle, was told to hop on the bus as I couldn't keep up with the group and felt like sh$%.

8 years later, just under 16 stone, 34 inch waist I am still too heavy, but I will never put my foot down again. In fact I am doing the Race Around Ireland at the end of August in the company of some of the finest people/cyclists I know who have each pushed themselves to do this. (Team Average Joes by the way :) )

I know, this sounds like I am taking the Micheal with you, but what I want to say to you is, keep going. Don't let any preconceptions hold you back. It doesn't matter if it takes a minute to turn that pedal round, don't give up. Every turn of that pedal gets you closer to being healthier, gives you enormous confidence and will help you all round.

I know that every cyclist I have encountered has always encouraged me, well except for one and I have dealt with that >:-).

Again apologies if I am being preachy, but if I saw you on the road I'd help you keep going, as I think every boardie here would.

Keep her lit and the pedals turning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Dublin - Limerick
    6h50m

Felt great until Birdhill and then died horribly with very bad cramp for last 40k.
    Heat exposure.

Otherwise a great cycle and one that I have wanted to do for years as I am originally from Limk.

Next goal is Kerry to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ROK ON wrote: »
    I am originally from Limk.

Explains a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ROK ON wrote: »
    Dublin - Limerick
    6h50m

Felt great until Birdhill and then died horribly with very bad cramp for last 40k.
    Heat exposure.

Otherwise a great cycle and one that I have wanted to do for years as I am originally from Limk.

Next goal is Kerry to Dublin.

I'll be doing that trip later on today myself. I have sense and will be doing it in a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Swords - Stocking Lane - Sally Gap - Laragh - Wicklow Gap - Blessington Lakes - Sally Gap - Stocking Lane - Swords

160km
    2330m of goodness
    26kph avg

What a day for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Home from work early. Just about to head out.... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Guh. After a fairly sparse two weeks (got out for a nice 50k last Saturday with occasional boardsie Radial) I set off triumphant into the sun today.

My familiarisation with keos continues to be a battle and the sunny weather brought ought even more impatient drivers than usual. Gave up by Ashtown and headed home. My gps unit only recorded the last .3 of a metre.

Ftw

With my original tube & tyre beyond repair from yesterday's little incident I was able to salvage another usable one from the other old and banjaxed MTB. Got it pumped, fitted and made adjustments to the bike, then as a test continued on from where I left off at Taylor's Lane - City Centre - circled back to Rathfarnham from Harold's Cross & Rathgar - past the Broadford area [where I got a ''Boardsie'' shout!] - then finally onto Kingstown - Three Rock where I decided to call it quits with the flies and heat. Replacement tyre and tube held out fine though.

Overall I got in 42km. Fair play to Inquitus, ROK ON and others for managing such distances in this heat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Garzard wrote: »
    past the Broadford area [where I got a ''Boardsie'' shout!]

That was me towing my daughter in the trailer back from Stillorgan to Rathfarnham. You were in the lime green Boards kit.

We'd been podding peas fresh from her grandad's garden. Nothing quite like a bit of child labour on a summer's afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I had a "mid life crisis" ride today (46 tomorrow) I cycled 45km into work this morning at a nice comfortable pace. I was surprised to see 29.5kmh average but there was little or no wind.
    The mid life crisis element of the ride was the return journey this evening. Average speed of 31.5kmh and 19 Strava accolades including a 9th overall between Blanch and Clonee. Given that Dublin 4 to Summerhill in Meath is uphill most of the way I am a very happy 45.9999 year old man ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement