Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Took today off work and headed out at 8:30 this morning and done 58km @ 27kmph. It was darn hot, the temp reading on my Bryton was reading 22degrees at 9am. Got slightly burnt (arms/legs) but not too badly. Plan to the same tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

CJC999 wrote: »
    Took today off work and headed out at 8:30 this morning and done 58km @ 27kmph. It was darn hot, the temp reading on my Bryton was reading 22degrees at 9am. Got slightly burnt (arms/legs) but not too badly. Plan to the same tomorrow morning.

Get burnt or go for a spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colmdonegan

ROK ON wrote: »
    Dublin - Limerick
    6h50m

Felt great until Birdhill and then died horribly with very bad cramp for last 40k.
    Heat exposure.

Otherwise a great cycle and one that I have wanted to do for years as I am originally from Limk.

Next goal is Kerry to Dublin.

Well done great spin, have done that spin a few times myself the opposite way but as far as Naas(where I am from). If you are planning a return journey some weekend might bump into you!

well done again, great achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

So, I brought my 7 week old bike to the shop today to have her checked over before I embarked on an epic spin later in the day. There was a bit of noise coming from the front wheel - or so I thought,.

Turns out the fork is faulty and needs to be replaced, theres a bit of play in it giving rise to the cracking noise. So left her behind me and drove on home. Have to wait for a new fork to come in early next week.

That's the weekend fecked too. though Id prefer a week without the bike to a broken fork and an accompanying broken face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Quick 10km spin on the new bike just to get a feel of it. 2 prs, 30 seconds off my previous best on both segments despite having a belly full of dinner. It's a fücking rocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Raam wrote: »
    Get burnt or go for a spin?

Go for a spin :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just back from a spin 113km...A few things ruined my spin, headwinds and an obnoxious cyclist...

This cyclist went past me around ogonnello, i was checking my bike on the side of the road, did he even ask was i ok, No. Then i get back on the bike and catch upto him further up the road and overtake him, he jumps onto my wheel all the way into Killaloe, doesn't ask, doesn't offer to take a turn on the front, says nothing. Then hit Killaloe I stop at the red lights, he goes straight through them. So i'm at the lights for 3-5 minutes, and continue on, i run into him later on up the road, i jump on his wheel for a second and make a move to get out on front(cause his going slow for me) he jumps on my wheel again, and can't get rid of him, my legs were gassed, mainly from trying to shrift him on the way into killaloe. Then i go to make another move and just don't have the energy and then he says to me "Hey man, WTF, why are you trying to overtake me and then freewheel, because i've no energy left, he then starts talking rubbish about trying to work together, considering i dragged his arse for 8 km into killaloe...Ruined my spin and through my whole rhythm out ...

Am i being unreasonable in being annoyed here, If i am i'll hold my hands up...

Her was my spin anyways
    http://www.strava.com/activities/171061788/segments/3986564972

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Did the first 45km of route here with group on route which is on link below. Rolling over when I could but turned round at top of hill above dolla. Instead of going home cycled into Nenagh out the Limerick road and went over Coum hill to Portroe and home
    http://www.nenaghtriathlonclub.com/

60km or so in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

ROK ON wrote: »
    Dublin - Limerick
    6h50m

Felt great until Birdhill and then died horribly with very bad cramp for last 40k.
    Heat exposure.

Otherwise a great cycle and one that I have wanted to do for years as I am originally from Limk.

Next goal is Kerry to Dublin.

that up on strava interested in route u took

• Advertisement

Just back from a spin 113km...A few things ruined my spin, headwinds and an obnoxious cyclist...

This cyclist went past me around ogonnello, i was checking my bike on the side of the road, did he even ask was i ok, No. Then i get back on the bike and catch upto him further up the road and overtake him, he jumps onto my wheel all the way into Killaloe, doesn't ask, doesn't offer to take a turn on the front, says nothing. Then hit Killaloe I stop at the red lights, he goes straight through them. So i'm at the lights for 3-5 minutes, and continue on, i run into him later on up the road, i jump on his wheel for a second and make a move to get out on front(cause his going slow for me) he jumps on my wheel again, and can't get rid of him, my legs were gassed, mainly from trying to shrift him on the way into killaloe. Then i go to make another move and just don't have the energy and then he says to me "Hey man, WTF, why are you trying to overtake me and then freewheel, because i've no energy left, he then starts talking rubbish about trying to work together, considering i dragged his arse for 8 km into killaloe...Ruined my spin and through my whole rhythm out ...

Am i being unreasonable in being annoyed here, If i am i'll hold my hands up...

Her was my spin anyways
    http://www.strava.com/activities/171061788/segments/3986564972

Sounds like you just need to train more ;-)

Sounds like you just need to train more ;-)

I know that, but i'm wondering i am right to be annoyed by this lads antics?

I know that, but i'm wondering i am right to be annoyed by this lads antics?

If someone gets in my way I would be a bit bothered but otherwise I wouldn't care too much. If he just sits behind and doesn't say hello then I would find that quite odd, but I would just say hello myself then. He may just have been wrecked. Maybe he thought it odd that you never said hello. :pac:

If someone gets in my way I would be a bit bothered but otherwise I wouldn't care too much. If he just sits behind and doesn't say hello then I would find that quite odd, but I would just say hello myself then. He may just have been wrecked. Maybe he thought it odd that you never said hello. :pac:

I acknowledged him, and he just sat behind me, and i was certainly struggling myself with headwinds, he just used me to get outta the wind, annoyed about it still

I acknowledged him, and he just sat behind me, and i was certainly struggling myself with headwinds, he just used me to get outta the wind, annoyed about it still

Sounds like a resourceful fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Got in a fairly flat 241k ride today (Cullane, Co Limerick to Rush, Co Dublin) in 8 hrs 11mins averaging 29.5km/h.

http://app.strava.com/activities/171166343

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Went out with my brother and dad today up to Blessington from Ranelagh through Firhouse and Tallaght. Nice bowl of soup in Blessington then on the way back I took a right down by Manor Kilbride and up to Sally Gap from that side. Both the bro and pops had stuff to get done so just returned the way we came.

Got up to Sally Gap and the weather wasn't too bad. All of a sudden a huge amount of cloud rolled in, leaving very poor visibility. Luckily it was still pretty warm but thought I should text my dad just to let him know the conditions and that gave him an approx time of return. Trying to connect to him somehow blew up my battery defeating the purpose somewhat! I really enjoyed the solitude of the spin and the cloud disappeared just when the road surface improves heading down the Military road. Lovely decent. Unsurprisingly not too many cyclists around, but a good few cars.

The mapmyride kicked back into gear once I plugged in in my dads house but just completed the route as the crow flies from Sally Gap so no concrete overall stats. About 80km with 800 meters or so climbing as a rough guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got in a fairly flat 241k ride today (Cullane, Co Limerick to Rush, Co Dublin) in 8 hrs 11mins averaging 29.5km/h.

http://app.strava.com/activities/171166343

Happy birthday! Great speed over that distance. How many stops would you make on a trip like that and for how long? And what food would your eat considering you're burning about 5,000 calories?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fancied a change from a week full of trips up the Military road, so took the hybrid out for a lazy flat spin on the Grand Canal. Very pleasant, though the kissing gates are a pain, and ended up on the wrong side coming back through Clondalkin. Only 80k for Ballyboden - Sallins and back in four hours, over a mix of paved, gravel and grassy surfaces, and was glad to have the wider tyres. Planning on a longer run on this route once I've got a full day free. Couple of pics here

G1032 wrote: »
    Happy birthday! Great speed over that distance. How many stops would you make on a trip like that and for how long? And what food would your eat considering you're burning about 5,000 calories?
    Thanks! I think I made four or five short stops. Didn't eat anything special. Over the whole ride I had a snickers, 2 bananas, and sandwich and a muffin. Had 2 cups of coffee, bottle of lucozade and a bottle of water (in addition to the two bottles I started out with. I also had 2 gels around the 180 and 200 mark.

I would have liked to have sat down to a proper dinner en route but it's not always feasible for bike security reasons. Filling station food can be tiresome after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

With hill repeats becoming a pain in the arse and needing over 3,000m climbing to complete the Rapha Rising challenge, there was only one spin on the cards today, a solo ride of the Evil 200.
    After everything I've done this week the 200 this time around was much harder. Horrible headwind over Luggala and up towards Sally Gap. Slightly different ending but I was shattered and didn't want to go near the Devil's Elbow.
    My heart missed a beat when I went to upload the ride and Strava said the file was corrupted.:eek: Not sure what it was all about but the ride was logged.Wasn't sure if I had enough in the bank but scraped across the line by 24 meters. Never again.

Evil 200 with alternative ending.
    202.4kms 3,467m climbing.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/171222028

Thanks! I think I made four or five short stops. Didn't eat anything special. Over the whole ride I had a snickers, 2 bananas, and sandwich and a muffin. Had 2 cups of coffee, bottle of lucozade and a bottle of water (in addition to the two bottles I started out with. I also had 2 gels around the 180 and 200 mark.

I would have liked to have sat down to a proper dinner en route but it's not always feasible for bike security reasons. Filling station food can be tiresome after a while.

I think I find that more impressive than the distance cycled. I'm amazed that you can ride so far on so little food. There are others in here the same as you (ford something!!). I'm guessing that the body can be trained for that but I'm a long way from riding that far, yet alone on just that amount of food.

I think I find that more impressive than the distance cycled. I'm amazed that you can ride so far on so little food. There are others in here the same as you (ford something!!). I'm guessing that the body can be trained for that but I'm a long way from riding that far, yet alone on just that amount of food.
    I thought it was quite a bit! (I tend to do most of the eating early in a long ride - I only had a muffin in the last 120k.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Similar to Wishbone Ash I started off with two bottles,one small,one large,two Kellogg's bars and one pack of Clif shot blocks. Stopped twice in Laragh,first time through I had a slice of Banana+walnut cake,snickers,single espresso and a bottle of coke(shaken flat). Second time through I had a ham and cheese roll,coffee and another flat coke. Refilled the water twice en-route and consumed the gels over the last 60kms.
    Wasn't hungry when I got home. Had a small dinner after about 3 hours.

Similar to Wishbone Ash I started off with two bottles,one small,one large,two Kellogg's bars and one pack of Clif shot blocks. Stopped twice in Laragh,first time through I had a slice of Banana+walnut cake,snickers,single espresso and a bottle of coke(shaken flat). Second time through I had a ham and cheese roll,coffee and another flat coke. Refilled the water twice en-route and consumed the gels over the last 60kms.
    Wasn't hungry when I got home. Had a small dinner after about 3 hours.

Well, first up I'll worry about completing a 200 km ride. When I can do them I'll start to worry about reducing food intake!! I know where I have to get to though by reading about the exploits of you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭hesker

Saw the weather forecast this morning and decided to wait until evening to do my Sat spin. Did 65k from Cork city to kinsale and back via DunDerrow, Innishannon, Crossbarry, Waterfall.

What a beautiful evening for a spin and the countryside looked fantastic. Relaxing now over a grand pint.

Perfect day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

hesker wrote: »
    Saw the weather forecast this morning and decided to wait until evening to do my Sat spin. Did 65k from Cork city to kinsale and back via DunDerrow, Innishannon, Crossbarry, Waterfall.

What a beautiful evening for a spin and the countryside looked fantastic. Relaxing now over a grand pint.

Perfect day.

Lovely spots out from Innishannon to Kinsale some narrow roads though not ideal if meeting tractors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did 106km today, the most I have done since 1995. Left Dunshaughlin and went through Kilbride, back of Airport, Santry, coast road, up Howth (haven't done this in the same time) and went home through swords. Really enjoyed it and planning 140km tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Done about 140km myself today, round trip to Perigueux and back. Technically you could say it was 2 spins as there was the slight stop for 7 hours to eat, have a few beers and watch a stage of the tour ;)

Simply stunning route though and average speed wouldn't be that great due to being too busy looking around me. Really in the mood for planning my own full on tour around France at some point now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Last day of Roadtrip Paris - 600km in 4 days with 40 women. All arrived on the Champs Elysee safe and sound. 2 races to watch tomorrow. Marianne Vos joined us for the first hour out of Utrecht on Wednesday. Knackered, but had an amazing time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement