Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Did a bit of CX in Howth with Raam yesterday. First time out on the CX bike. Got cut to bits by the brambles on my arms and ankles but enjoyed it all the same. It's so nice around there at 6am!

Howth trails around the cliffs have too many huge steps. Who do I talk to about changing them to ramps?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Leisurely 50km in 2h38, on the mountain bike around Cahir, Newcastle, Clogheen.

Finished with my first ascent of the Vee - not a bother with the 28t chainring on the MTB.

Descent down the track past Baylough was worth the climb! A bit hairy in places though with the slick tyres.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

After some encouragement on this forum a couple of months ago (been off on holidays in the meantime) I have been today on my 4th cycle of a 2.2km loop, in 4 days in a row, while still getting used to the discomfort caused by the saddle. I've been using runkeeper to track progress and beating my record cycle after cycle. I'm enjoying it very much and I can't wait to start going on for longer journeys! Hopefully by next week I don't have a sore bum when I get on the bike, so I'll change my loop a little bit to make it longer... perhaps aim to do this loop 1.5 times my current record, as right now I feel I could do it, but I don't want to over-do it so that I can still pick up the bike next day.

As I'm still quite overweight, one of my biggest fears, are the bumps and cracks in the roads. I'm constantly thinking I might cause the fork/wheel/tube to break/burst. Every time I hear a more metallic sound on the bike, I'm immediately thinking something's gonna pop out/break/etc.. but I'm sure this will go away with time and practice and as my weight drops!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭fits

Did 37 km loop in preparation for sean kelly 100 in a months time. Beautiful quiet morning for it.

Is strava playing silly buggers with anyone else today? It is stuck on 'changing activity' as my activities upload as runs as default cos of the garmin I have. I cant delete them and start again. Annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

An post heritage spin. 159k. Avg 30.6k. Hamstrings massaged back to life. Refuelling now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

t'bear wrote: »
    An post heritage spin. 159k. Avg 30.6k. Hamstrings massaged back to life. Refuelling now

That's fair going. I wouldn't do 160km on those roads - too familiar and boring. I soloed round on the 100km route. I waited at the garage at Trim for the crowds to go by. Jaysus there were thousands! A good steady stream passed by for the best part of 10 minutes and more were still coming as I headed off.

Apart from going sideways on some nasty gravel for a few feet, it was a an OK spin. I might do one of those sportives down south next weekend - Tour of Kilkenny or the Suir Valley one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

An Post 160km. All done in 5 hours 7 mins. Friend took a piss at exactly the wrong time with 40km to go and missed a road train of about 30 cyclists.

The two of us manage to catch up after a painful 10k and joined them with 30km left to the finish.

https://www.strava.com/activities/171599261

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Had 110 planned today with the first 25km with the other half, that part went fine, spun out to the grange had a bit to eat then left her at Blakes cross, headed north and kicked to pick up the pace.....boom nothing there!
    No matter what direction I was going I was into a head wind and with nothing in the legs and getting annoyed with myself every time I ever time I tried move the pace on Loughshinny was the last straw. Went from Rush to Lusk and headed towards swords, the plan was to head towards malahide from there and do a few laps of Howth but I gave up and continued on home to Coolock. 75km done with a pitiful 25kmh average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the 100 k, lovely spin. My first sportive, great atmosphere. I did it on my own but chatted away to loads of people on the route. I was apprehensive about using the new bike as I only had 2 quick spins on it. No need to have worried, the bike was a dream, went up hills with no effort and handled brilliantly. My Back held up fine too so happy days.
    The 3 hills, Tara Skryne and Slane were quite easy but there was a false flat into a headwind after Slane that knocked the bo!!ox out of me. After pushing on and getting a bit of speed built up I did something similar to the last poster and got a touch of cramp and pulled in just as a big group came whizzing past. I didn't bother trying to catch them.
    Cruised on home and had the kids cheering for me at the finish line, proud as punch.
    105k in 3:57.
    Now for a pint

http://www.strava.com/activities/171601658

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

201k Dublin to Galway, charity gig with work. Stuck together, few breakdowns along the way but everyone finished. https://www.strava.com/activities/171648690

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

First time back on the bike in 2 years today. Managed to get 52km done with two laps of howth head. Happy out.

have a 240km cycle end of September so need to get my hoop in gear!

First time back on the bike in 2 years today. Managed to get 52km done with two laps of howth head. Happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Meath 160km
    6 hours 8 mins at 100kg
    Was aiming for sub 6 hours but there were more hills than I was expecting.
    Very well organised event

1089m climbing

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Rapha Rising Day 9: An Post Tour of Meath 100km

Course was fairly flat, so I could pass many people by cycling fast.
    Full report on the ride in the Strava link.

http://www.strava.com/activities/171641457

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

138 km, 700 m climbing cycling in charity cycle in Bruree co limerick, handy enough route with one real climb. Hoore of a wind all day though kept average below 29km .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Red Lane/Line 600 completed. I'll do proper write up later, but that was my first time attempting a 600. 40 hours to do 600km with 6,600m of climbing. Done, dusted and with time to spare.
    Day 1 - 435km, 4,200m ascent.

Day 2 - 183km, 2,400m ascent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

^^^^
    That is absolutely disgusting.
    You legend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Still trying to get fit, went for a 30km spin this morning. No one warned me about the hills, mainly between garristown and ardcath, which was out at the far end of the ride. Can still feel it in my legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

macnab wrote: »
    I had a "mid life crisis" ride today (46 tomorrow) I cycled 45km into work this morning at a nice comfortable pace. I was surprised to see 29.5kmh average but there was little or no wind.
    The mid life crisis element of the ride was the return journey this evening. Average speed of 31.5kmh and 19 Strava accolades including a 9th overall between Blanch and Clonee. Given that Dublin 4 to Summerhill in Meath is uphill most of the way I am a very happy 45.9999 year old man ;-)
    Only spotted your post now (posted on Friday 25th), What a coincidence - we were both born on the exact same day - 26th July 1968! Happy birthday! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Red Lane/Line 600 completed. I'll do proper write up later, but that was my first time attempting a 600. 40 hours to do 600km with 6,600m of climbing. Done, dusted and with time to spare.
    Day 1 - 435km, 4,200m ascent.

Day 2 - 183km, 2,400m ascent

Good on ya NP. I ran out of legs at 320k and was in survival mode for the last 100k of day 1. I got in just as the control was closing and decided to call it a day. You were about 7 hours ahead of me at that point.
    Lovely day, great weather, good roads (mostly) and magnificent scenery...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I was wondering how you got on. It was tough, I found the REK 400 easier with better scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Mine this morning, Home to Work in city centre, 28.57kms in 1hr 18. on long stop at the traffic lights at the top of the strawberry beds 4maybe 5 mins(failed to save on strava, very annoyed at myself!!) does anyone know if you can save a spin after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I was wondering how you got on. It was tough, I found the REK 400 easier with better scenery.

Well done, it was still easier than Belgium?

What kinda of numbers did ye get?

Once you you can turn off the voice in your head in middle of event or 400km in which is screaming "what the fcuk are you doing" those long cycles aren't too bad!

If scenery wasn't great, do the Inner Ring this weekend or the Priest's Leap 300 on 23rd August you won't be disappointed.

Be warned Priest's leap is a really tough climb. Scenery on route is best in country; Ballaghbeama, Dunloe, Borlin etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

Well I got up on Saturday morning with a view to doing 30-50km as I haven't been doing much. Ended up doing 100km, innishannon-enniskean-clonakilty-timoleague-ballinspittle up over the old head of kinsale into kinsale and back home. Took 4hrs 28mins which I'm happy with, not going to break records but there were some long drags and sharp climbs in it. The legs survived til around the 80km mark then I just died, mainly as I only had 2 bottles (re filled one) and 2 bananas to fuel me. More food with me next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Well I got up on Saturday morning with a view to doing 30-50km as I haven't been doing much. Ended up doing 100km, innishannon-enniskean-clonakilty-timoleague-ballinspittle up over the old head of kinsale into kinsale and back home. Took 4hrs 28mins which I'm happy with, not going to break records but there were some long drags and sharp climbs in it. The legs survived til around the 80km mark then I just died, mainly as I only had 2 bottles (re filled one) and 2 bananas to fuel me. More food with me next time!

Really nice cafe and a deli in Ballinaspittle, lot's in Kinsale of course to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I was supposed to do the 100 km heritage tour in Meath but the car started acting up so couldn't get there. I'd mentally prepared myself for 100 km spin so off I went on my tod on Sunday morning. Felt horrendous for the first 20 km, but from there to about 85 km I felt great, loads in the legs and really enjoyed it. Once I hit 85 km I ran out of food and water so slogged home. 104 km all in at 23 kph. Not too bad, was a bit windy so that slowed me down. Delighted to have broken 100 km, that was my first cycling goal when I bought my bike back in March. Next up is to join a club and regularly cycle 90km +.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This is a lovely 53k loop with ~600m climbing starting in Newport, Mayo. Might be useful for folks who want a bit more of a challenge while others are on the Greenway.

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/665191857

Ignore my "exploratory detour" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Nice spin out of Laragh yesterday - up the WW gap (f3/f4 headwind was an added delight), down into Hollywood. Then nice 20km into Baltinglass, sandwich, turn left (wind now a tailwind), into Kiltegan and Hacketstown. On to Knockenanna, then off into the wilderness - Moyne (nasty little hill), Askanagap, Aughavanna, and out at the base of Slieve Maan. Up and over, then up the Shay Elliott and home into Laragh. 95km overall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement