Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Went out yesterday at 1430 (quite nice all weekend up to that time). Freezing, stinging rain for an hour and I headed for home. Neoprene overshoes didn't really keep the feet warm. One of the coldest, horriblest, miserablest 40k I've ever done. No speed either 1:36 - the cold seemed to sap the energy out of me.

Shower and mug of tea afterwards were great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Went out yesterday at 1430 (quite nice all weekend up to that time). Freezing, stinging rain for an hour and I headed for home. Neoprene overshoes didn't really keep the feet warm. One of the coldest, horriblest, miserablest 40k I've ever done. No speed either 1:36 - the cold seemed to sap the energy out of me.

Shower and mug of tea afterwards were great though.

Don't be too hard on yourself - that's 25 kmp/h. It was probably all uphill - both ways. ;) But I know what you mean about the cold; it does slow you down. Then again, the bulk of the winter clothes doesn't help either.

And I agree with you on the overshows. Mine are cheapo Aldi ones, but I'm not sure if they make any difference at all. Maybe I'll have to buy some of these: Electric Socks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/157665707

Yesterdays spin, a tough day with the conditions in the Knockmealdowns without overshoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭_Skitso_

Been on my Tacx Galaxia rollers three times now, done about 2.5-3 hours and last night I mastered cycling with no hands, and maxed at 67km/h (Hands on bars for that bit) :) Anything to break the boredom I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

I was on a stag last night, got to bed about 3am after scoffing an 18" pizza! Woke at 9.40am, meant to meet my group at 10am, 5 miles away! They kindly offered to spin out to collect me. Got dressed by 9.50am, then remembered that i had forgotten to repair a puncture picked up on Saturday's spin! So with a busting head-ache went about putting in a new tube, which i just about managed, then the wheel was acting up and was not being persuaded back into place. I was ready to throw in the towel at this point! managed to get it sorted in the end, and then went and met the lads who were 'patiently' waiting! Off we set for an 80km spin, swords/ashbourne/balrath/drogheda. Can't say i enjoyed the spin in the rain/cold/hangover state, but i was truely delighted when it was over!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

padjo5 wrote: »
    I was on a stag last night, got to bed about 3am after scoffing an 18" pizza! Woke at 9.40am, meant to meet my group at 10am, 5 miles away! They kindly offered to spin out to collect me. Got dressed by 9.50am, then remembered that i had forgotten to repair a puncture picked up on Saturday's spin! So with a busting head-ache went about putting in a new tube, which i just about managed, then the wheel was acting up and was not being persuaded back into place. I was ready to throw in the towel at this point! managed to get it sorted in the end, and then went and met the lads who were 'patiently' waiting! Off we set for an 80km spin, swords/ashbourne/balrath/drogheda. Can't say i enjoyed the spin in the rain/cold/hangover state, but i was truely delighted when it was over!

Cycling hungover is not nice, gave up doing that! It's either commit to boozing and forget about cycling the next day, or commit to cycling and stick to the sparkling water!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Cycled into work friday night in the snow (in Zurich) but as more than a foot of the stuff fell through the night, I took the bike home in a van. Didnt cycle in yesterday as roads/cycle paths not fully cleared. Cycled in tonight, but now its honking down with snow again so I'll have to see how it goes for later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Had my first proper ride on my new road bike today :) Did 22km and everything is running smoothly! Can't wait for the good weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

padjo5 wrote: »

Jasus, aren't you a hard man.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Jasus, aren't you a hard man.

Hard..no, stubborn...possibly!

I was under the impression that this thread is for people to share their spins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Out too late for the club spin, so on my 70km Kinsale loop, I saw two (separate) lads beside their cars having a p!ss; a fella pulled over in the hard shoulder to let his missus puke at the side of the road in Belgooly; and between Halfway and Inishannon, a fella on a Honda50 dressed as Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

a fella on a Honda50 dressed as Santa.

How do you dress a Honda50 as Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

RainyDay wrote: »

How do you dress a Honda50 as Santa?

Stick a hat on it? The rest is already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭secman

8km into to spin on sunday the chain went kaput, rere derailler bent a bit from the break. Could have been worse, was only 8km out so was able to persuade someone with a trailor to come and fetch me! Really looking forward to next weekend spin .

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Was a fantastic morning for a spin. Went out with the club for a 100k spin, mostly N11 with a bit of a detour into Dunlavin. One of the lads was telling about his experiences in a race that he took part on those same roads. Have to say it's an interesting circuit there, I like the uphill finish.

We averaged around 29km/h for the morning, had one guy drop back on the Dunlavin hills (he then took a shortcut back to the N11 and we managed to catch him before Blessington), there were no punctures this time and only one short stop (just enough time to eat a cookie, tasty, tasty cookie...).

The only issue I could make out today was the crazy filthy N11, especially the hard shoulder, I've never seen so much mud on a road with tarmac before. After the ride My bike and myself looked like I'd done full day in Ballinastoe after a hefty downpour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hmmzis wrote: »
    The only issue I could make out today was the crazy filthy N11, especially the hard shoulder, I've never seen so much mud on a road with tarmac before. After the ride My bike and myself looked like I'd done full day in Ballinastoe after a hefty downpour.
    I live and ride nowhere near N11, but that sounds similar to my every day commute. I gave up washing my bike, it makes no sense. After every ride the bike looks like an MTB after a dive into the mud. The roads are unbelievably dirty.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

we had no issue with dirt!! :) It rained on us for all but 20 mins of the 2 3/4 hours we were out. The floods on the road were nuts!
    We did circa 65-70km, I didn't check the clock at the end as I was so drowned I wanted to get into the car and get home.
    But bright spark decided to lock my key into the car so had to stand out in the cold for 20 mins as the missus came back with the key!!! A total disaster in that regard, but great to get out after nearly 2 months without a road spin.

Seweryn wrote: »
    I live and ride nowhere near N11, but that sounds similar to my every day commute. I gave up washing my bike, it makes no sense. After every ride the bike looks like an MTB after a dive into the mud. The roads are unbelievably dirty.

This is why I built a singlespeed commuter/winter bike.... 1000kms of winter cycling done and I've yet to take to it with a sponge thanks to the lack of any derailleurs to worry about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

120k done today. It was miserable. Really wet, very windy. I averaged about 31-2kph... Mostly from Nenagh along the N7 (or R445 as it's known now) towards Limerick, back towards Newport and Birdhill, towards Limerick again, turning at the edge of the city, back towards Birdhill, on to the Silvermines, and Home. Legs felt grand.

I'm getting used to my new routine of cleaning the bike, drying it, and oiling it before I get my gear off. I need some training wheels too. But that'll have to wait until after xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Was a fantastic morning for a spin. Went out with the club for a 100k spin, mostly N11 with a bit of a detour into Dunlavin. One of the lads was telling about his experiences in a race that he took part on those same roads. Have to say it's an interesting circuit there, I like the uphill finish.

We averaged around 29km/h for the morning, had one guy drop back on the Dunlavin hills (he then took a shortcut back to the N11 and we managed to catch him before Blessington), there were no punctures this time and only one short stop (just enough time to eat a cookie, tasty, tasty cookie...).

N11 with a detour to Dunlavin? That's some detour! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭secman

Killenagh- across to ferns - Camolin - Gorey- Ballycanew-Killenagh
    about 60 km. Nice morning for a spin. Only back at house when heavens opened .!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Was cycling through the junction at St. Patricks Cathedral today. Lights were green, junction was clear, it was mine for the passing. As I made my way out onto the junction a lady turned right from the middle lane at the other side and put her foot down. Luckily I managed to swing left and halt a few inches from the car, and she kept on driving, only to get stuck at the lights 45 metres up the road.

I cycled up and asked if she understood I had the right of way at the previous junction, and was told she has more right of way because she has more wheels.

Yeeeeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

OldBean wrote: »
    Was cycling through the junction at St. Patricks Cathedral today. Lights were green, junction was clear, it was mine for the passing. As I made my way out onto the junction a lady turned right from the middle lane at the other side and put her foot down. Luckily I managed to swing left and halt a few inches from the car, and she kept on driving, only to get stuck at the lights 45 metres up the road.

I cycled up and asked if she understood I had the right of way at the previous junction, and was told she has more right of way because she has more wheels.

Yeeeeep.

I'd say it's "less brains" that gave her right of way:rolleyes:

Sat on the rollers for an hour tonight and didn't go flying off the side at any stage!

Sat on the rollers for an hour tonight and didn't go flying off the side at any stage!

You'll only really benefit if you use a bike on them though?

colm_gti wrote: »

You'll only really benefit if you use a bike on them though?

I'm building up slowly....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Seeing how the world didn't end and all that, snuck off for a lunch time spin up cruagh and over to Johnnie Foxes. Just back, glorious out there, regretting not taking the rest of the afternoon off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thought that the end of the world might be in the PM so snuck off this morning for a very pleasant 100km loop through Kildare and West Wicklow, a little bit foggy to start but very pleasant out there after that.

Coffee and mince pies in Dunlavin added a bit of a festive feeling.

Beasty's charity jacket made it's debut for me, very comfy indeed, it's going to be hard to go back to the Lidl/Aldi gear now :p

Anyway it's back to the grindstone for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Pleasant 45k cycle around north Galway. Been back on a bike for the last 3months after about 18yr gap. First day out on road shoes/cleats and didn't have any mishaps.

I fear this hobby may become more expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Nice spin out around the boyne valley ,plenty going on at newgrange hippies galore.
    just when i got to rossnaree i heard a shot seen the lovely phesant falling from the sky when i got to the poor bird i picked him up put him in my carradice rack bag took him home now he's hanging in me shed for a few days until ready to pluck and then roast happy ending after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement