Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

@fillup - I set a personal slow speed record on that section before the left bend. Windgate is not quite as steep but a good bit longer -worth giving a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

This is the worsest badass short climb around Dublin IMHO.

http://app.strava.com/segments/1782510

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

Cheers NeedMoreGears - the breathing had just about returned to normal by the time i got to the top of Balkill so i'm aiming to give Windgate a lash at some stage this week

And regarding the struggle for speed up that turn, it's a mixture of trying to get in enough power to turn the damn crank to get ya up there and keeping yerself balanced to prevent a clipped-in pratfall from the inertia

But sure isn't that part of the fun....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Alek wrote: »

have you tried http://www.strava.com/segments/634414 ?

Nice to see it's 12% and that i wasn't struggling on something smaller but it is short so if there's a tougher one out there in the vicinity of NthCoDub, i wanna hear about it!!

• Advertisement

Actually no, I've always turned into the the offroad section in the middle. Thanks, I'll give it a go next time :)

If it has been sherlocked at 15.9km/h it must be hardcore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Actually no, I've always turned into the the offroad section in the middle. Thanks, I'll give it a go next time :)
    If you're talking about Kilmashogue Wood and the track up to Three Rock, you're a fair way off the middle!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

It's torture, Strava says I've done it 25 times...got my PR last weekend, almost puked at the top:pac:

Edit: er thought you were referring to the Final ramp at Kilmashogue..nevermind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Balglass/Balkill Rd in Howth is steep but very short. It's not at all comparable to Kilmashogue Lane which, in my opinion, is much tougher.

The worst thing about Balglass/Balkill Road for us mere mortals is seeing the likes of Raam doing half a dozen laps of it to pass an hour of an evening! :o

Hey Wishbone -

i normally climb up to Sally Gap via Yellow House -> Edmonstown Rd (past Merry Plowman) -> Curagh Woods - its a fairly long drag with some steep sh1t on it

do you know how the Kilmashogue Lane climb compares to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Kilmashogue lane is a good bit steeper and harder than that Cruagh road climb. It's a good bit shorter than Yellow House to Cruagh Woods but it's long enough at a steep enough grade to be significantly less pleasant :)

It's pretty near by to that climb too, you should pop up it some day :)

Share the misery.

Wow, this final ramp at Kilmashogue seems to be some mythical altar of the god of suffering, slippery from blood and tears. :eek:

I'm definitely going there at the next occasion! :D

i can smell a meet up!!!

lets see who cracks first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

commuting into town this morning, heading down from Whitehall (Regency Hotel to the junction at Griffith Ave). I had a driver in a gold shuttle bus constantly beeping at me while tailgating very closely. I know the cycle lane there is quite short (250m) and the lights ahead were red. But no need for the hostility. When I arrived at the lights turned to see him gesture with anger that I should be in the cycle lane.

Diffused the situation by blowing him a kiss :)
    He didn't know what to do after that.

Wow, this final ramp at Kilmashogue seems to be some mythical altar of the god of suffering, slippery from blood and tears. :eek:

I'm definitely going there at the next occasion! :D

There was a brilliant photo taken at the hill climb championships a couple of years back of someone (possibly RAAM) looking in absolute agony as he made his way up that part!

colm18 wrote: »
    There was a brilliant photo taken at the hill climb championships a couple of years back of someone (possibly RAAM) looking in absolute agony as he made his way up that part!

Pics or....! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Relatively slow 60km today after work, been off the strava trail for a while so I decided to give the 'Glencree TT' a bit of a lash. Road isn't great in some parts, as well as the corners being a bit dodgy with tourist drivers! Managed to KOM it, legs were absolutely drained by the end of it..need to shift quite a few kilos :o

http://www.strava.com/segments/1229914?filter=overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Zyzz wrote: »
    Relatively slow 60km today after work, been off the strava trail for a while so I decided to give the 'Glencree TT' a bit of a lash. Road isn't great in some parts, as well as the corners being a bit dodgy with tourist drivers! Managed to KOM it, legs were absolutely drained by the end of it..need to shift quite a few kilos :o

http://www.strava.com/segments/1229914?filter=overall

You've got this KOM thing all backwards Zyzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

First day out on the bike since completing the RR challenge. Body and legs felt like crap. I knew it was a bad idea staying off the bike for so long.
    Only reason I ventured out was to get my 1k kms for the month.

http://www.strava.com/activities/173472676

• Advertisement

You've got this KOM thing all backwards Zyzz.

Oh kom on now.. :p

fillup wrote: »
    Hey Wishbone -

i normally climb up to Sally Gap via Yellow House -> Edmonstown Rd (past Merry Plowman) -> Curagh Woods - its a fairly long drag with some steep sh1t on it

do you know how the Kilmashogue Lane climb compares to that?
    No comparison whatsoever. For a medicore climber like me, Edmonston Road is just a drag with no steep parts. Kilmashogue Lane is shorter but at times it feels like being punched in the face over and over again especially at that part passing the farmyard.
    I'm open to correction but I think that's looks like Mount Leinster and it doesn't look like Raam.

You sure its his sufferface? I'd bet he's laughing at this laughable gradient. :pac:

;)

You sure its his sufferface? I'd bet he's laughing at this laughable gradient. :pac:

;)
    Apologies - he must have changed his hair style since then! :)

Apologies - he must have changed his hair style since then! :)

And it's definitely kilmashogue ;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No comparison whatsoever. For a medicore climber like me, Edmonston Road is just a drag with no steep parts. Kilmashogue Lane is shorter but at times it feels like being punched in the face over and over again especially at that part passing the farmyard.

+1, main reason I go up Kilmashogue every now and again is to make climbs like Cruagh seem not so bad, and to discourage myself from having so much beer and cake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got chased by a dog this morning. The stupid bitch was left off the lead by her owner and chased me up the hill to Stepaside. Got a PB so not bad for another wise terrible morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Nothing much happened riding to work this morning, but I did see a Pagani Zonda on the road!

Nothing much happened riding to work this morning, but I did see a Pagani Zonda on the road!

In Ireland????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Zyzz wrote: »
    In Ireland????

no, Zürich

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement