Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

The neighbour and I went for a very scenic spin this morning in the East Mayo area.

The pace remained leisurely for the most part however there was a fair bit of climbing which I tried to push myself on.

We cycled 30km at an average speed of 18 km, coming in at an hour and a half. Id like to try this route by myself as I reckon I could cut 10-15 minutes without too much trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

no, Zürich

That post makes me very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Alek wrote: »
    Wow, this final ramp at Kilmashogue seems to be some mythical altar of the god of suffering, slippery from blood and tears. :eek: ...
    (Not to mention the sweat)
    :pac::pac::pac: Love this image, & the idea of a viscious cycle of misery making the task harder

Went up for the first time recently. Given the mythology, I was pathetically pleased to find myself at the top without having put foot to ground or zig-zagged. Of course the time on Garmin told the ugly truth - even worse than predicted from the Strava KOM adjusted by my standard ndb-handicap multiplier. :o Think I was holding a little back to deal with the unknown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

This was actually yesterday,I'm still recovering haha its my first proper cycle,every other one was less than 18km

Here it is on strava,http://app.strava.com/activities/173444503
    45km in total,went out west In galway through loads of rural areas,absolutely beautiful scenery,I'm going to take pictures next time. The amount of climbing was unbelievable though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

EmcD123 wrote: »
    This was actually yesterday,I'm still recovering haha its my first proper cycle,every other one was less than 18km

Here it is on strava,http://app.strava.com/activities/173444503
    45km in total,went out west In galway through loads of rural areas,absolutely beautiful scenery,I'm going to take pictures next time. The amount of climbing was unbelievable though

Next time for more hills, take Moycullen Back Hill, http://app.strava.com/segments/1254534
    or

Killagoola, http://app.strava.com/segments/7236797

• Advertisement

Next time for more hills, take Moycullen Back Hill, http://app.strava.com/segments/1254534
    or

Killagoola, http://app.strava.com/segments/7236797

Haha I don't need more hills!!! That hill leaving moycullen on the road to spiddal absolutely destroyed me. I had to take a break like 4 times getting up that hill.
    I'm hoping it'll get easier each time as once you get well past moycullen on that road it becomes a beautifully scenic route. I had a strong headwind all the way up that hill aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

EmcD123 wrote: »
    I'm hoping it'll get easier each time as once you get well past moycullen on that road it becomes a beautifully scenic route. I had a strong headwind all the way up that hill aswell

Tell me all about it - I cycle that road twice a day and it's nearly always a headwind. It'll get easier, just pace yourself :)

Tell me all about it - I cycle that road twice a day. It'll get easier, just pace yourself :)

Ooh twice a day!! Fair play. Ya I started panicking and mashing my pedals. I had no idea what was in store for me/ I literally didn't know there was a hill there and it just kept going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

102km from Nass -> Blessington -> Sally Gap -> Lough Tay -> Laragh -> Wicklow Gap -> Naas

On MTB - 1,600m @ 17.5kph. Tough slog.

Looks like they are setting up the Vikings village on Lough Tay for shooting the next season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Character building today. some rain out there. Dun Laoghaire and Dalkey had flash flooding 1 m deep. Maybe I should have stayed in bed!

Did 50km in a reasonable time given the conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Fubin rain out there. Was hoping to do a long cycle this morning. But goin to wimp out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bazermc wrote: »
    Fubin rain out there. Was hoping to do a long cycle this morning. But goin to wimp out.

There is another thread for that

Enniskerry to feather beds and down stocking lane. Cold wet and almost no visibility. Tough cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Sunny down in Kerry while it rains in Dublin. Makes a nice change!

Went up the short mountain in Tralee and then feeling good made the mistake of going down and trying the other side S-N. Tis an evil bugger of a climb, feels like it is over 15% for at least a kilometer. I would have sold my left kidney for a few more teeth in the granny gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

100km on Friday, Dunshaughlin, airport, baldoyle and up both sides of howth. Really enjoyed the right at the church side, has been over 20 years since I did it, no compact chainrings then :-) felt a lot better today, had a lot of problems with asthma during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Pretty rubbish day over here in the lakes. Going up Kirkstone Pass there was just a river running down the road. Really suffered today. I'm hoping its due to the fact I took last week off and I'm just getting back into it. http://www.strava.com/activities/174327987

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Enjoyed the sunshine on offer down here in Killarney. Rode the Inner Ring 200 audax event. Nice to get away from the Wicklow hills for a change.

Enjoyed the sunshine on offer down here in Killarney. Rode the Inner Ring 200 audax event. Nice to get away from the Wicklow hills for a change.

Killarney is fantastic place to ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

godtabh wrote: »
    Killarney is fantastic place to ride.

I'm sure it is. It just broke me today.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

Set the alarm for 6.30 to get up to drive down to Kilkenny for the Tour, at 6.15 a torrential deluge beating off the velux window woke me up, I had a look outside and went back to bed.

As penance I did 60km this afternoon in the rain, actually enjoyed it, was wet but not cold, don't know it I would have been as sanguine about 5 or 6 hours out in it though.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Set the alarm for 6.30 to get up to drive down to Kilkenny for the Tour, at 6.15 a torrential deluge beating off the velux window woke me up, I had a look outside and went back to bed.

As penance I did 60km this afternoon in the rain, actually enjoyed it, was wet but not cold, don't know it I would have been as sanguine about 5 or 6 hours out in it though.

Good to match strava with boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

Yesterday I went from Parteen, just outside Limerick out the road to Killaloe, through the town and on to Ogonnelloe, Tuamgraney, up the hill in the main street in Scariff. Turned round there and back through Tuamgraney, Bodyke, Broadford and then home. All in just under 70k. A sequence of rolling hills that add up but nothing isolated that you'd call a serious climb. Still, felt it in the legs having not done any proper cycling for two weeks. Very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

50k on flat ground on freewheel Bowery, headwind everywhere. https://www.strava.com/activities/174693108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Another awful day over here. http://www.strava.com/activities/174886022

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bandit1987

So decided to take up cycling 3 months ago basically for fitness as I was fairly overweight(weighed about 17.5 stone), got a lend of an old medium giant ocr to try it out cycled that for 2 months before buying myself a giant defy on the b2w scheme last month. So ya Im hooked, decided to download strava to coincide with the new bike to try see if i was improving anyway at all. So today I went for my longest to date and am fairly happy with it although havent got off the couch since as Im shattered... Was just under 70km and a 28kmph average dont know if thats good or not but was great for me :). dont think i can post links but I ll put it here anyways. http:// www. strava.com/activities/174719995
    Hopefully i can push on from this now and break the 100km mark before the summer ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Like many, looked out window this morning and watched the rain. At 2pm, headed down to Wickla; once past Newtown there were only spots of rain. Parked outside the lovely pub/shop in Ballinaclash (Phelans) - just SW of Rathdrum.

Off to Avoca, Woodenbridge, Aughrim (quick coffee at the Stonecutter); almost to Tinahely, but turned off for Ballinglen. Up the wee wall at Moyne and then N to Aughavannagh - lovely road, empty, wild, great views of Lug. Up Sliabh Maan, lucozade at the Glenmalure Lodge. Had the time, so took a v. nice spin up to the head of Glenmalure, and back to the Lodge. Over the Shay into Laragh, then Clara Vale road back to Rathdrum (surface poor, but improves a lot after a couple of km). A last hurrah in the evening sunshine - up to Avondale, then left and up to Kingstown and down steeply to the Meetings - and the back road to Clash.

80 or 85 odd; apart from a stiff W breeze, no weather to speak of. Very pleasant. South Wicklow has a lot going for it, makes a great change from the Sally Gap commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well this was on Friday morning.. Came up to the barrier in work, and usually I've it timed so I don't have to clip out, barrier was on the way up then got stuck ~ I started to tumble but to my left I seen a rail, but I'd judged the distance to the rail wrong and missed lol.. So came down clipped in and all my work mates watching on CCTV :o

They've been trying to get a recording for youtube/facebook slagging rights :mad:

317104.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

4 days on mini tour around Munster.

Real nice spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First spin all week since doing the Tour of Meath 100 last weekend. Still getting used to the new bike but absolutely loving it.
    Longwood -Trim -Summerhill -Kiltale -Trim -Longwood
    On the home stretch out of Trim a car with a flashing beacon on the roof overtook me and then slowed down. What the hell is this lad at?says I. A few seconds later I was in the middle of the Pelton. It's a slightly intimidating place to be when you're not expecting it. Didn't have a clue what the etiquette was so i held my line and enjoyed the tow for a few hundred yards until they all got past me. Figured if I slowed down I'd have been responsible for carnage. I also realised that I'm just a wee bit off race pace yet.
    Anyway, 58km in 1:59 @29.2KMH and 9 PRs http://www.strava.com/activities/175205762
    Got home and was locked out so I did another 8 k waiting for the missus to come home. One more PR there, missed the KOM by 2 seconds. Great morning on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Fab morning again for a cycle. Headed off at 07:20 and did 100km. Started in Mayo and managed to visit both Galway and Roscommon. Met a couple from Germany doing a cycling tour. They were heading to Westport today. Nice and friendly, unlike a lot of the Irish cyclists I meet on the roads

Got to thinking on the spin too that it'd be nice to do a spin that visited the 5 counties in Connacht.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement