Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

a homer simpsonesque mmmmh breakfast!!!, then a PB to go and get some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Ok just started getting into cycling.

9k of this was along a rough river track and a cheap mountain bike.

2ih2w7l.png
    290zdzt.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

117km from Lepardstown, Tallaght, Blessington, Nass, Salins, Clan, Celbridge, Lucan and home with an average of 29km/h. First 100km+ in a while. Great day for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got out of Dublin for the weekend and drove to Glengarriff West Cork. I brought the bike as I've never cycled in this neck of the woods before.

I went out today and did the Priest's Leap, in to Kenmare and back over the Caha Pass.

The Priest's Leap is out and out savage. Steep as fcuk and road is poor. Gravel and sheep sh1t all over the shop. The descent is hairy too. I got a puncture on the descent - the rims were roasting when I touched them.

I found the Caha Pass from Kenmare tougher than I expected. It seems to go on forever.

58km and 1,000m today so I'm happy enough. I'm glad to have battled up The Priest's Leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Had physio today so took a very small detour before my appointment. Unfortunately, I was told to stay off the bike for the rest of the day and drink plenty of fluid after the acupuncture session (something to with the toxicity of acupuncture making you light headed and dizzy, I dunno). Still spun home as I had no other way of getting back. http://www.strava.com/activities/177711005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

120 km @ 26,5 kmh on the Ring of North Kerry. Tough head wind and some bad road made for slower average time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Pleasant spin from the crossroads N of Roundwood, where you turn off the Djouce Road to go up Guinness Gates to Sally gap (Tomriland?) over the Sally Gap, into Laragh, up by Garryduff and Moneystown and back to Roundwood and the car.

Basically just short spin to test-drive the baggage handling for an upcoming week in Switzerland, and also a Castelli waterproof that I couldn't remember if it was in fact any good.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/wwsjnuvlcz6ygwr/AABubDhj7MBNphjzmu6EDlWVa

The drybag-on-back-of-brooks-saddle works well, as does the smaller one on the bars (power of Velcro). The Castelli waterproof is pretty useless (only one shower, and it short and not terribly heavy, but still got wet).

Hopefully a longer spin tomorrow (Tour of Kildare)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

First time out on my SPD-SLs today after a combination of work and not getting along with the KEO classics (look for thems for sale on here soon).

The SLs were much more predictable than the KEOs in my experience. Which took a lot of the frustration out of using road pedals.

Home- Phoenix Park (Stop to adjust my left cleat before my illiotibial band exploded)- Castleknock-Ballycoolin-Clonee (Puncture) - and return home via Ballycoolin- Finglas- Cabra gate - Phoenix park - Home.

44km
    18.5km/h avg :(
    46.4 KPH max.

Bit of a bummer of a spin still but unlike the KEO frustration fests I'm actually gagging to get out for a redemption spin. Changed tube and used my C02 inflator for the first time at the N3 flyover (a bunch of couples passed me on bikes but only three hardcore looking roadies. You know the type that get criticised by self described Sportive Riders for being too snobby or...errr going too fast, actually asked me if I was alright.

Sky opened up after the tube change and I was running out of time to get home to fulfil a few promised errands for Mrs RS so didn't really get to open the legs up much today. First time using my Suunto Ambit to record GPS data but since they don't support LINUX I can't currently upload to strava...should have seen that coming.

Also, I've a loose spoke on my rear Aksium that I really should get looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

301 kms today (my longest ride to date) from Rush Co Dublin to Belfast City Centre and back again.

Had a tailwind on the way up so made good progress but the 150km return leg into the headwind was energy sapping. Wrists are sore now.

http://app.strava.com/activities/177902316

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

301 kms today (my longest ride to date) from Rush Co Dublin to Belfast City Centre and back again.

Had a tailwind on the way up so made good progress but the 150km return leg into the headwind was energy sapping. Wrists are sore now.

http://app.strava.com/activities/177902316

Well done.

If you like long distance try one of the audax routes in your own time.

I couldn't do out and back on an open main road.

400km is next!

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    ...I couldn't do out and back on an open main road.

400km is next!
    Mile after mile of dual carriageway was tedious alright. Don't know if I could push it to 400k although I felt much better at 300k than I did around 220k when I went through a horrible restless phase where I just couldn't get comfortable on the bike or get my legs to co-operate. I have serious respect for those that can do 400/500/600 in one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Mile after mile of dual carriageway was tedious alright. Don't know if I could push it to 400k although I felt much better at 300k than I did around 220k when I went through a horrible restless phase where I just couldn't get comfortable on the bike or get my legs to co-operate. I have serious respect for those that can do 400/500/600 in one day.

You would think that, but I found the jump to 400km no harder than any other jump. It's just a longer day on bike.

I have bad phases on short spins and long spins but they always pass.

Have 100miles tomorrow with lads all stronger than me, this will hurt more than any audax spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Speaking of 300s. I rode the Three Provinces 300km audax yesterday. It started in Slane, across to Arvagh, Drumshanbo up to Blacklion and Letterbreeny, across Fermanagh via Lisnaskea, Clones, Baileborough and back to Kells. Just over 12 hours moving time for 305km with 2,600m.

http://www.strava.com/activities/177979454

WA - it would be great to see you on an Audax, you'd really like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Cycled 20 feet... puncture on the rear. first puncture I've had on this set of gatorskins since I got them 3.5 years ago, hopefully not a bad omen. Had to hop in the car to get to work, hopefully get it fixed late so I can complete the strava/shimano summer challenge as I've about 50k to go on it.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    ...first puncture I've had on this set of gatorskins...
    I punctured yesterday on Gatorskins also. First time they've let me down.

...WA - it would be great to see you on an Audax, you'd really like them.
    Thanks H. Most weekends aren't suitable for me due to work and/or child commitments. When I am available, I usually only know at short notice which rules out most pre-registered events. I only decided to try a 300 yesterday morning.

(I did the Ardattin 200 this year and really enjoyed it (even though I took a wrong turn and did 217kms).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

brownian wrote: »
    Basically just short spin to test-drive the baggage handling for an upcoming week in Switzerland, and also a Castelli waterproof that I couldn't remember if it was in fact any good.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/wwsjnuvlcz6ygwr/AABubDhj7MBNphjzmu6EDlWVa

The drybag-on-back-of-brooks-saddle works well, as does the smaller one on the bars (power of Velcro).

You're going to have to rethink your lighting though. Both front and rear are obscured by the bags...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

64km on the mountain bike, 19km/h, 890m climb.
    Up the Vee from Clogheen, down to Lismore, over to Cappoquin and back over the hill to Newcastle. Last 12km home into the wind was pretty hard going, just about at my limit without a food stop.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Took the wife for her first spin up the Sligo Way from Union Wood to Slish Wood, then cycled the road back to the car, to find some cnut had stolen my bike rack... :mad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057266586

http://www.strava.com/activities/178204866

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Needed to bring some heavyish (22kg) gear down to the fathers in south Wexford over the weekend so took the train to Wexford, hired a hybrid, and cycled the 34k down the road. I only realised how much I like my road bike and Brooks saddle when I didn't have either cycling into the wind, and about 5k in decided that cycling with a heavy rucksack wasn't clever either unless your training to sing alto. Short stop, back strapped to carrier using its straps, the cable lock, and some twine, saddle up, adjustable stem down, and got on just fine albeit over 2 hours at a snails pace. Return trip today, tail wind, only 8kg on the carrier, and covered the same distance in 1hr15, managing to stay in the sunny patch between the clouds throughout.

Many thanks to the lady in Hayes cycles for only charging me one day for the bike because I had it for just under 24 hours, and for letting me drop it back to the shop on a Sunday even though it was closed. Great service and great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Tour of Kildare today with my wife stayed on her side all the time on her first ever 100 km event after doing the Meath anpost 50 the last time she did this one same as last time without any training whatsoever:-) so proud. http://www.strava.com/activities/178367701

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

zindicato wrote: »
    Tour of Kildare today with my wife stayed on her side all the time on her first ever 100 km event after doing the Meath anpost 50 the last time she did this one same as last time without any training whatsoever:-) so proud. http://www.strava.com/activities/178367701

I should be jealous but I just can't resent you for living the dream (no wonder everyone always thinks I'm not Irish).

Lucky man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Cycled 20 feet... puncture on the rear. first puncture I've had on this set of gatorskins since I got them 3.5 years ago, hopefully not a bad omen. Had to hop in the car to get to work, hopefully get it fixed late so I can complete the strava/shimano summer challenge as I've about 50k to go on it.

54k, 25km/h, 7PRs https://www.strava.com/activities/178471759

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Cycle Ataxia today, rode Dunshaughlin to Ashbourne for the start and was soaked.

Had some problems knocking the last time i did over 100km so tried Powerbar isoactiv and it worked great.

One thing though, my heart rate was quite high for most of the day, don't know whether to be proud of an epic suffer score? Fitness level I suppose?

http://app.strava.com/activities/178282485

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

139.4 km today with over 1400m climbing.

I climbed Minaun in Achill. I knew it would be tough but I had no idea whatsoever it would be as brutal as it was. I had to stop 4 times up the climb. Simply wasn't able to go on without a break. Getting there left me exhausted.... 50 km into a 20+ mph headwind. When I turned and saw the climb ahead my heart sank!! It was just savage. Here is the Strava segment.... http://app.strava.com/segments/2573565

2.8km at 11.6% average and number 5 on this list... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag1LJillBCzKdE02cWVwY2R6UFVvRUZZRVBjVlRPb2c&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Managed not to hit any sheep on the way down and headed off for pizza! After that I cycled back to Westport via the Greenway with my wife's 10 year old nephew. Thumbs up for him for his 43.5km cycle on a very heavy bike.

Looking back now I'm glad I reached the top of Minaun considering I nearly gave up it half way through. I was very disappointed at the time that I didn't climb it without stopping but the wind into me was savage, the gradient was unlike anything I've ever climbed before, I was shattered by time I got there and at the end of the day I didn't have lungs or legs to it without stopping. I'll be back to do it again, hopefully a few kilos lighter and with a few more thousand kilometers in the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

50k circuit from Carrowteige to Belderg via Porturlin and back by Glenamoy yesterday. Didn't meet a single car on the way out but plenty of sheep. Incredible how they wait till the last minute before deciding they need to be on the other side of the road.
    Magnificent scenery and clouds that eventually decided to shed their rain on the slog back into the wind. North West Mayo has some great cycling routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Didn't meet a single car on the way out but plenty of sheep. Incredible how they wait till the last minute before deciding they need to be on the other side of the road.
    It does my nut! You've just got no idea what they're going to do next or what way they'll run. Makes for a lot of slow descents for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

51km Nenagh to birdhill, up the hill to the M7 and back avg 23.3km/h, my first 50+km cycle! was just under the 50 when I got back to nenagh so I meandered around town to get over the hump.

There was a serious headwind on the out, it helped carry me home. Most of my rides have been very flat, with the hill upto the M7 been the steepest/longest so far almost gound to a halt on the way up, dreading when I finally tackle some proper hills,

It was also my first time using my clip in pedals, found them easy to clip in and out of at junctions etc, and I didn't fall :), so all in all, I am happy with today's spin

http://www.strava.com/activities/178879509

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,577 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

First time up on a bike in about 25 yrs yesterday. First bit of exercise in roughly 2 years as well. A paltry 5 miles and the legs felt like jelly getting off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

KevIRL wrote: »
    First time up on a bike in about 25 yrs yesterday. First bit of exercise in roughly 2 years as well. A paltry 5 miles and the legs felt like jelly getting off...

Head down and report back when your up to 30k.

Best of luck and don't stop now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement