Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

KevIRL wrote: »
    First time up on a bike in about 25 yrs yesterday. First bit of exercise in roughly 2 years as well. A paltry 5 miles and the legs felt like jelly getting off...
    get back in the saddle asap it'll do you the world of good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

KevIRL wrote: »
    First time up on a bike in about 25 yrs yesterday. First bit of exercise in roughly 2 years as well. A paltry 5 miles and the legs felt like jelly getting off...

Another 'born again' cyclist here, I felt the same after taking the new road bike out for a 'feeler' spin but have since found that the first 5km or so seem strangely worse than the last 5km. I've been doing regular 25-30k spins since that first shorter spin and feel no worse for it. Keep at it and you will hopefully find a plateau after warming up where you will feel comfortable going further and further.

I'm adding in regular intervals of 'all-out' effort for 30-60 seconds to improve fitness faster than staying just in the comfort zone, seems to be the best advice out there to improve quickly.

i follow the "go as hard as you can for as long as you can" be it 60 seconds or longer try it & you might surpiise yourself after a couple of spins.

sorry surprise yourself, chunky finger moment!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Keep at it and you will hopefully find a plateau after warming up where you will feel comfortable going further and further.

You want to watch them plateaus; you get to the top of one only to find another even bigger one looming in front of you. Behind that 25k lurks a 50k, 100k, 200k, etc... and the summit still isn't in sight ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

smacl wrote: »
    You want to watch them plateaus; you get to the top of one only to find another even bigger one looming in front of you. Behind that 25k lurks a 50k, 100k, 200k, etc... and the summit still isn't in sight ;)

Very true. Not sure if anyone here uses Veloviewer (if you are on Strava you can basically upload everything to it), but it has a thing where it gives you a star for landmarks achieved-eg a 200km ride or climbing 4,000 metres or something like that. Full of looming plateaus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Today was an unexpected (free) day off work and so I met a pal on the last day of his holliers and we headed off up the N81. The plan -Blessington - Wicklow Gap - a tasty Laragh coffee stop - Glenmacnass - Sallyer - home. Well that was the plan.
    The rain, it fell. Heavily. We were just past Blessington at this point so produced our tails and turned back to the warm and dry embrace of Kennys restaurent/cafe. The rain continued to fall in an enthusiastic fashion so the pot of tea was upgraded to beans on toast, with a side order of a pot of tea.
    It was gorgeous.
    Eventually (after a hot water refill of the teapot) we had to leave and took the quiet road home round the lakes and down Ballinascorney. Not quite anything like a two gapper in fact!
    Nice to get a 60km spin in on a schoolday.

The initial fashionista style tut-tutting at my mudguard was much more muted on the return leg of the spin as my buddy squelched along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Headed up the ballyhouras and did the brown loop with the dog in tow.

I swear the fcuk of a dog is laughing at me struggling up the hills, keeps looking around at me to see where I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

My longest cycle so far, 120km Greystones Wicklow Gap Hollywood Tallaght Stepaside Enniskerry Greystones. Felt great and judging by Peterx post i was lucky to get away with a small bit of rain around hollywood! 350km ridden in the last two weeks which is amazing for me!http://www.strava.com/activities/179155176

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mine is a simple one.. I went for a spin with my son this evening ~ nothing unusual in that, except we haven't don't this since he was a child (he's just graduated college now and is 22).

We'd the best bit of craic we've had in years.. He was absolutely boll*xed lol.

Some photos from the pin (but he's not in any of them, he asked me to keep those private).. I'd a really good evening, best craic in years proving that the old man is fitter than the young buck :p

318187.jpg

318188.jpg

I've had a brilliant evening :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

http://app.strava.com/activities/179520321/segments/4197278909

cycled home from night shift and had no kids to drop off at creche so filled up the bidons planned a quick route on garmin connect and got back on the bike. (New to this area). Heavens opened after 1/3 of the way through, and I regretted bringing two bottles so emptied one on the hardest climb, to save weight (didn't help!!).
    Just in the door now, hot shower and bed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

First cycle into the new office, 48min 53s, dist 24.5km, avg 30.1km/h. Pretty happy with that as I felt like I was taking it easy!

http://www.strava.com/activities/179536876/overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

jgreene83 wrote: »
    First cycle into the new office, 48min 53s, dist 24.5km, avg 30.1km/h. Pretty happy with that as I felt like I was taking it easy!

http://www.strava.com/activities/179536876/overview

Wait 'til you head home, lets see where your fancy 30k+ average is then.;)

yours curmudgeonly

NMG

(had to bate me away in against a west wind today - 20.7k at a mere 25.9kph)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Went up the Cruagh road to viewing point, with the plan to do a few circuits around the hills. I felt BLOODY terrible going up the first time and was just about to give up and head home via Stocking Lane when I forced myself up towards Sally (up until where the road surface dis improves). Went back down Stocking Lane then and felt a bit better, so hopped back up there, down Cruagh, up Cruagh again and then back home.

36km @ 23.4kph - 802 meters climbing. I was delighted I didn't pack it in!

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/687260081

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Went up the Cruagh road to viewing point, with the plan to do a few circuits around the hills. I felt BLOODY terrible going up the first time and was just about to give up and head home via Stocking Lane when I forced myself up towards Sally (up until where the road surface dis improves). Went back down Stocking Lane then and felt a bit better, so hopped back up there, down Cruagh, up Cruagh again and then back home.

36km @ 23.4kph - 802 meters climbing. I was delighted I didn't pack it in!

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/687260081

I head for those same hills every now and then after work and I always feel like sh*te at the start also. I find one good climb is enough to shock the body into action and it's usually grand after that. Yesterday evening was a good example: http://www.strava.com/activities/179338098
    Kilmashogue car park, up the fire trail to the top of three rock, a bit of 'exploring' on bike and foot, back down and up the same hill again, finishing off down Ticknock road and back up to the car via the lower Kilmashogue slopes
    Fantastic views at the top of three rock yesterday, pity I didn't have the phone with me to take a few shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

cycled home from night shift

Just started doing this, are you eating through the night for fuel to get home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Koobcam wrote: »
    I head for those same hills every now and then after work and I always feel like sh*te at the start also. I find one good climb is enough to shock the body into action and it's usually grand after that. Yesterday evening was a good example: http://www.strava.com/activities/179338098
    Kilmashogue car park, up the fire trail to the top of three rock, a bit of 'exploring' on bike and foot, back down and up the same hill again, finishing off down Ticknock road and back up to the car via the lower Kilmashogue slopes
    Fantastic views at the top of three rock yesterday, pity I didn't have the phone with me to take a few shots.

It turned out to be a beautiful evening alright. Looking forward to tackling a few of the climbs around Three Rock / Kilmashogue, they look... interesting :-).

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Just started doing this, are you eating through the night for fuel to get home?

on todays evidence....no. I haven't sorted my eating out properly yet for cycling in or out of work. On night shift I eat, put kids to bed and then cycle. I'm usually quite tired for the morning ride home, which is slightly uphill, with a bigger hill at the end.
    On day shift, I'm ok going in, but again feel tired on the way home. 11+ hours, mostly on my feet doesn't really help either :(

on todays evidence....no. I haven't sorted my eating out properly yet for cycling in or out of work. On night shift I eat, put kids to bed and then cycle. I'm usually quite tired for the morning ride home, which is slightly uphill, with a bigger hill at the end.
    On day shift, I'm ok going in, but again feel tired on the way home. 11+ hours, mostly on my feet doesn't really help either :(

Thanks. I've the same length of shifts, albeit sitting down but still long and draining. I'm going to try having some fruit 1-2 hours before heading home and see how it goes. On the way home this morning I was starving and legs felt heavy so hopefully that will change. Usually not too bad on the way home on my day shift.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Thanks. I've the same length of shifts, albeit sitting down but still long and draining. I'm going to try having some fruit 1-2 hours before heading home and see how it goes. On the way home this morning I was starving and legs felt heavy so hopefully that will change. Usually not too bad on the way home on my day shift.

I usually have a small bar of chocolate and a coffee in the last 90 mins of a day shift but don't always have time or remember when I'm on nights. I find my commute times are faster when I'm on day shift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Was going to howth from dun laoghaire after 4pm and bloody bird pooped on me... was very windy too.

don't always have time or remember when I'm on nights.

The night shift daze :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

Wait 'til you head home, lets see where your fancy 30k+ average is then.;)

yours curmudgeonly

NMG

(had to bate me away in against a west wind today - 20.7k at a mere 25.9kph)

Not so good on the way home (I'll blame smoking, not getting enough k's on the legs, blah blah blah other wimpy excuses), just 26.1km/h :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just on my commute just before nutley on the n11 a cyclist had has an incident just before I arrived, looked like he had just come off and no cars were involved, was being helped up as I passed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Early morning spin to survey to post leaving cert carnage. Luckily I'm not easily offended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

godtabh wrote: »
    Early morning spin to survey to post leaving cert carnage. Luckily I'm not easily offended!

Anything worth adding to the "" Oddest thing you've ever seen while cycling" thread? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Anything worth adding to the "" Oddest thing you've ever seen while cycling" thread? :D

i thought I saw a girl with now clothes on wearing the face off some young lad. Turns out she had very very little clothes on. She was probably cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

So after a long hiatus from bikes I'm back on two wheels. I was knocked down 3 times on a bike so understandably was put off it for a while. But after surviving Paris by bike this summer I've decided to give it another whack. Yesterday and today cycled 25mins in and out from town and it was a gorgeous cycle by the Galway prom. Thoroughly pooped now though. (:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bandit1987

Decided to go for a quick spin before the premier league kickoff, 26km in 1 hour. almost run over by a car coming around a blind bend on wrong side of the road thank god i was hugging the ditch...other than that no major issues
    http:// www. strava.com/activities/180916489

• Advertisement

94k, 22.2Km/h, 4hrs 15m. Trip around Dublin Bay from Dun Laoghaire to Howth. Great on the way out to Howth... windy on the way back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement