Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

A bit underwhelmed with the cold this morning - may have to start wearing a base layer. Not happy to be doing that in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

A bit underwhelmed with the cold this morning - may have to start wearing a base layer. Not happy to be doing that in August.
    i cycled yesterday, took a little longer than normal to get to my usual zen state of just right, not too hot not too cold, dont really want to have to break out the winter woolies in August, My commute is on country roads so for the winter Im stuck on the train or the nigthmare road that is the luacan bypass(the train wins) as there are no street lights in da countryside! so I hope that the last few days are just a glitch & normal service resumes till end of sept early oct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

You'll be grand, They say we'll have a cowboy summer in September..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

As I do for his birthday ever year I cycled Howth and gave Phil Lynott's grave a visit for his 65th birthday)

319147.jpg

319148.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

As I do for his birthday ever year I cycled Howth and gave Phil Lynott's grave a visit for his 65th birthday)

Rock on Phil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did a nice 50km up the Embankment and through Manor Kilbride to Blessington then back via Threecastles to Manor Kilbride. I managed 27.3km/h but could have done better if I didn't have to get out of the saddle every once in a while thanks to poxy saddle sores :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Good man - fair play. I hope you went to Dino's bar & grill afterwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bloggsie wrote: »
    My commute is on country roads so for the winter Im stuck on the train or the nigthmare road that is the luacan bypass(the train wins) as there are no street lights in da countryside!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnq-bXCaX5NSg38vz_1x-AjMJ50RnE_VwmlIoMIJlyn6gblHIVc3f5kgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRixNB4Ll41ZOr_9xCa9mtQHfJzx6TexYXDgRu62BmkOEXWVyObA6TRRg

A week or two of train fares saved will pay for those...

319147.jpg

319148.jpg

Nice touch..

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Bulmers on Ice

Took off this morning in short sleeve jersey and the first airing of the bib tights, thinking I was the bright spark and would be nice and snug. I have a 4% downhill right outside my house for about 1km and I was frozen to the core when I hit the bottom of it. The arm warmers were put on and off I went again. The rain jacket was then given an outing when I hit 2km as I was turning blue, I couldn't get my fingers to change gears :rolleyes:. I only managed 40km of the 65km route I had planned. The Garmin was in holiday mode reading 16.7 deg. I am now sitting here feeling the symptoms of man flu approaching and I have informed my other half to have the flat 7up on standby.

• Advertisement

be an onion have layers on so that you can take them off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Christ, cycle home was nippy :s Gabba can't get here quick enough. Still haven't nailed food intake on night shift so I don't feel drained on the way home in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Cycling up towards the Kippure featherbeds yesterday avro I came across two poor French cycle tourists, fully loaded and heading very very slowly for the campsite in Roundwood. I have done that too - looking at the shortest distance road on the map and finding ourselves on a completely unexpected and unnecessary monster hill.
    A bit later heading towards Blessington I came across a wee deer standing stock still in the middle of the road, perfectly framed by the leafy trees. If only I had brought the camera. Nearly managed to reach 80kph coming down Wicklow Gap but not quite. The car coming up the hill was surprised too :)
    Big spin for a schoolday, leaving early was well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jaysus lads, tis nippy out there. Went for a quick 30 last night and aiming for 40 or so today. I am happy enough with my distances now, can do 100 km which was my aim for the first 6 months. Now I want to up my speed so doing shorter spins at higher pace. It keeps the missus happy if nothing else as I'm not gone "arsing around the countryside on that fecking bike" for 4 hours + as she so eloquently puts it.

Jaysus lads, tis nippy out there. Went for a quick 30 last night and aiming for 40 or so today. I am happy enough with my distances now, can do 100 km which was my aim for the first 6 months. Now I want to up my speed so doing shorter spins at higher pace. It keeps the missus happy if nothing else as I'm not gone "arsing around the countryside on that fecking bike" for 4 hours + as she so eloquently puts it.
    glad to know that your OH has the same opinion as my OH in regards to "quality time" spent on the bike! I though I was a lonley soul in that regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

"arsing around the countryside on that fecking bike"

Class. I suppose that's what it is.

"arsing around the countryside on that fecking bike"

Class. I suppose that's what it is.
    oh no its much more than that, after a week of work stuck in a office the head space 2-3 hours on a bike is like a wee holiday, never mind the exercise side to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

Took off this morning in short sleeve jersey and the first airing of the bib tights, thinking I was the bright spark and would be nice and snug. I have a 4% downhill right outside my house for about 1km and I was frozen to the core when I hit the bottom of it. The arm warmers were put on and off I went again. The rain jacket was then given an outing when I hit 2km as I was turning blue, I couldn't get my fingers to change gears :rolleyes:. I only managed 40km of the 65km route I had planned. The Garmin was in holiday mode reading 16.7 deg. I am now sitting here feeling the symptoms of man flu approaching and I have informed my other half to have the flat 7up on standby.

Same happened me about 2 weeks ago. Also got caught in a couple of heavy showers. A doctors visit & a course of antibiotics later I managed a quick 35Ks yesterday. Totally wrecked afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Not todays but yesterdays included..

3 x Up to the Three rock mast (from M50)
    3 x Cruagh road
    2 x Stocking Lane (up to featherbeds)
    2 x Kilmashogue

Was around 2900m when I decided to do Kilmashogue one last time, legs absolutely knackered, Garmin on auto-pause, look down..0% gradient..

...beeeep

I was going so slowly the fecking thing thought I had stopped. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Zyzz wrote: »
    Not todays but yesterdays included..

3 x Up to the Three rock mast (from M50)
    3 x Cruagh road
    2 x Stocking Lane (up to featherbeds)
    2 x Kilmashogue

Was around 2900m when I decided to do Kilmashogue one last time, legs absolutely knackered, Garmin on auto-pause, look down..0% gradient..

...beeeep

I was going so slowly the fecking thing thought I had stopped. :pac:
    Jesus...are you sure the noise wasn't your heart flatlining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Peterx wrote: »
    Well done. As you can see from the results that time is a good one (inside top 500. 5hr 20mins would have been inside top 300 so without your error easily achievable) so if you come back go in wave one and avoid the worst of the kayak time outs that the later waves get.

Yep. That's the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

The_Sub wrote: »
    I was on a turbo for 2 hours getting a pro bike fit done (it still counted as cycling!). Proper ride tomorrow so see if its all been worth it.

Best thing I've ever done. Speed is up by around 4kph on average and set a PB today knocking nearly 4 minutes of my commute.

And the bike is comfortable for the first time ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,577 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    First time up on a bike in about 25 yrs yesterday. First bit of exercise in roughly 2 years as well. A paltry 5 miles and the legs felt like jelly getting off...
    not yet wrote: »
    Head down and report back when your up to 30k.

Best of luck and don't stop now.

Happy to say I did that 30k today (30.8km to be exact). Really enjoyable spin which took just shy of an hour and a half.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Happy to say I did that 30k today (30.8km to be exact). Really enjoyable spin which took just shy of an hour and a half.

Fair play man,

Your mission should you choose to accept is 50k..

Bit of a head on me but I'm heading out now to do 30k.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got up. Had a puncture. Went back to bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Horrible day out on the bike today. Got over the first climb and onto a pretty long descent when it started hammering down hailstones. Lasted for about 20 minutes and was absolutely frozen as I only had shorts and a ss jersey. Managed to get warm again only for it to lashing rain. At this stage I decided to turn back. Got soaked but the sun came out shortly after. 30 mins from home it got really windy and started lashing again.

Got home cleaned the bike, had a shower and going to hop back into bed for the rest of the day and watch the Vuelta and USA pro challenge.

http://www.strava.com/activities/184156718/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

godtabh wrote: »
    Got up. Had a puncture. Went back to bed

Looks like that'll mean a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Killarney - Gap of Dunloe - Black Valley - Molls Gap - Killarney

First time doing this ...we have a beautiful country.....Kms flew by....apart from the climb up Molls!!!!

Legs a tad confused after a climb on Carrauntohill yesterday!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Nenagh - Roscrea - Birr - Borrisokane - Nenagh - Garrykennedy
    100km or so with 10km to the start from home so 110km in total.

Great day for a spin. Was chilly when I started so went back home after a km to get a jacket and was glad for it. Rolled over with the group for part of trip but had to go from Borrisokane to G'kennedy on my own as was wrecked and dropped off back of group. Longest spin in a long time...

Still when barely been on bike this year was delighted to do as much as I did

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Been off the bike for the last couple of weeks with work and family commitments, but managed to sneak out this morning for a leisurely spin down the grand canal. Ballyboden - Dolphins barn - Sallins and back in slightly over 4 hours. Mellow, good craic, and a great de-stresser.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement