Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

ford2600 wrote: »
    Not for good time girls and weed
    or good time guys if you fancy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    is Amsterdam not the wrong direction??

Don't want to make it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

godtabh wrote: »
    Brussels
    was in brussels a few years ago for my 30th found a bar that opened pretty much all day, the beer menu was extensive over 200 beers very good if your not planing on cycling for a couple of days, I had a head on me the following day like hollyhead(all over the place, very windswept & not very intersting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Shocking commute home this evening in wind and rain worthy of a mid-winter storm. Walked the bike over an exposed bridge for the first time ever as the side wind freaking scary.

Flew past the traffic though as a small compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Shocking commute home this evening in wind ..

Yesterday was a tough one for me. Possibly in the top three tough cycles I have done to date.

It was on the Lucan to Tallaght bypass or whatever it is. I had to go into the lowest gear on the flat and contemplated just stopping, the headwind was that bad*. I was dreading doing it this evening but it was just normal "bad"

It did make me wonder though... if there was that type of wind in the Giro etc would they just continue on or halt the particular day. You'd be talking two or maybe three times the normal completion time?

*I was wearing a light rain jacket which may have been acting as a parachute brake, never again! I am OK with getting wet tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Yesterday was a tough one for me. Possibly in the top three tough cycles I have done to date.

It was on the Lucan to Tallaght bypass or whatever it is. I had to go into the lowest gear on the flat and contemplated just stopping, the headwind was that bad*. I was dreading doing it this evening but it was just normal "bad"

It did make me wonder though... if there was that type of wind in the Giro etc would they just continue on or halt the particular day. You'd be talking two or maybe three times the normal completion time?

*I was wearing a light rain jacket which may have been acting as a parachute brake, never again! I am OK with getting wet tbh.

It would continue. Wind is like cycling a gradient and the pros don't have an issue with that. My weather app had it at 32kph, gusts maybe higher. Was planning to cycle last evening but watched a documentary about frogs instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,114 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was banjaxed getting in yesterday evening. came southbound down the old N2, so wind was coming from maybe 1 or 2 o'clock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Was breezy yesterday evening ok, did a short circuit of home - Lamb Doyles - Barnaculla - Cruagh which was sheltered enough, but the side wind on the bridge over the M50 was a shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Going from Cypress Grove road to Wainsford road this morning, some gob****e coming off Templeville road failed to yield or stop and nearly ran into me. the thick eejit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

200km from Amsterdam to some where near Turnhout in Belgium. Was only meant to be 175km but I got lost a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

completely bonked and had to turn for home on a charity cycle with 30k to go , got 60km done with 28.4 average including bonk.

Three weeks off the bike and lots of Portuguese wine and pastry has taken its toll , will have to kill myself for next few weeks for rebel tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

72km today out to Blessington & Naas and home via Rathcoole. I wasn't expecting the rain that started when climbing the Embankment and didn't stop till just before Naas. Soaked but glad to get it done. Just over 26km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

184k, 24.5km/h, climb (not a whole lot) 1000m, 7.5 hours. Tired, nap time now. http://www.strava.com/activities/187379671

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Brought my wife's nephew out for a training spin with Covey Wheelers this morning. He's just 10 years old and had a great time.
    Many thanks to the guys there for making him feel so welcome. One if them also brought along a bike for him to ride today. Specialized, DuraAce groupo, Ultegra wheels. Light add a feather too. Lovely morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Abbeyknockmoy, Tuam, Claregalway, Oranmore, Athenry, Monivea and home - 75km

http://www.strava.com/activities/187470531

127km from North Belgium to Brussels. 569km for the week. A few well deserved pints and now bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Totally drained the tank of all fuel today in 5,284 metres of climbing. I lost the will to live on the ascent of the Col de L'Iseran. By a long margin, the most difficult day ever on the bike.

http://app.strava.com/activities/187496887

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Flattish 59km spin on the MTB around Cahir, Mitchelstown, Ardfinnan - 2h36m @ 22.6km/h, 300m ascent.

Fairly fresh at 8 degrees when I set out, but lovely to see the early morning sun rising through the mist on the fields.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Donabate>Howth>Howth Summit, that bit killed me, Sutton>Malahide>Donabate, about 50km, smashing morning, i ain't used to them hills though. Wish there were more days like this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Yesterday I did my first ever proper cycle since I bought a bike about two months ago - 20km from rathgar out to phoenix park, nice trip around the park and back again.

Dead chuffed with myself - although sore :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

82km today with a 25km/h average. Very happy with myself. Lovely morning in Cork too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Out and back to Hollywood on the N81. Left all the modern stuff behind and hit the road on some Colnago steel. Passed an incident the far side of Blessington with someones day about to end in the back of an ambulance. Hope it wasn't too serious.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/187832731

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Flattish 59km spin on the MTB around Cahir, Mitchelstown, Ardfinnan - 2h36m @ 22.6km/h, 300m ascent.

Fairly fresh at 8 degrees when I set out, but lovely to see the early morning sun rising through the mist on the fields.

Are you doing this on the road or on the trails?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

91k solo av23.9kph. First spin in a while. Brought out my steel also, Thorn Audax. Generally around Roundwood area. Straight into the sauna afterwards to soak these old bones.
    Nice day, c'mon de Dubs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Bonked for the first time ever today on my spin over the Sligo Way, struggled on the return over the mountain but luckily the team car (wife) was nearby with some backup.

Met a guy suffering a puncture on the way up too, first time I've ran into someone on the trails I cycle, gave him a lend of my pump as he thought his was fecked, turns out it was the tube, so left him with the long walk back to his car to get spares, still always nice to meet someone with the same interest and shoot the breeze for 5 minutes, met his friend on the return from far side of the mountain (he hadn't waited for his mate), who warned me of some low branches on the descent with the best route around them "stay to the right after the next corner, keep your head down to get under the branches, but most important, maximum speed", advice I took!

http://www.strava.com/activities/187881221

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got 69 km in today. Soaked wet. Again. Tough enough winds too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

skoda event in louth 28 kmh average cramped around the 90km mark could be due to the cold and flu tablets and cough syrup im taking anyways enjoyed the whole event :-) and i think sweating the whole day actually made my chest and breathing much better now.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/187956667?fb_action_ids=10152664472073622&fb_action_types=fitness.bikes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B698239036920596%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22fitness.bikes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Vizzy wrote: »
    Are you doing this on the road or on the trails?

On the road, with Continental Travel Contact 26x1.75 tyres. They've a slick centre section so reasonably easy rolling. If you can show me a route to do this on trails I'll give it a go!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Solo Spin, 96km, 30kph avg, spent listening to the radio, heard my Spurs get beat 3-0 by Liverpool, followed by my Dubs getting beaten by 6pts in the AI Semifinal by Donegal. Cycle was grand, sporting results however sucked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

On the road, with Continental Travel Contact 26x1.75 tyres. They've a slick centre section so reasonably easy rolling. If you can show me a route to do this on trails I'll give it a go!

I'd say that there isn't a single trail to do this but you would be spoilt for choice if you took to the trails from either Cahir, Ardfinnan or Mitchelstown.
    60km on an MTB is good going anyway, well done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement