Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

happy ending after all.

Not from the pheasent's POV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Nice spin out around the boyne valley ,plenty going on at newgrange hippies galore.
    just when i got to rossnaree i heard a shot seen the lovely phesant falling from the sky when i got to the poor bird i picked him up put him in my carradice rack bag took him home now he's hanging in me shed for a few days until ready to pluck and then roast happy ending after all.

Is this true.

If so, have a great Christmas feast.

Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

ROK ON wrote: »
    Is this true.

If so, have a great Christmas feast.

Class.
    yes very true i personally would not kill a bird or animal but to be honest i wasn't going to leave it lying on the road for rats to pick it to bits.
    no man i will enjoy it ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

yes very true i personally would not kill a bird or animal but to be honest i wasn't going to leave it lying on the road for rats to pick it to bits.
    I take it you're a pheasant plucker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

First spin on the road bike in 17 days! Between bad weather and a sick little girl out of school I had no real chance to get out other than a fue blasts into town for Xmas shopping. It wasn't that cold but the fog was thick and I wear glasses so after 32k I got sick of having to wipe them every couple of minute's didn't even bother cleaning the bike when I got home as I hope to get out over the weekend for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Nice spin out around the boyne valley ,plenty going on at newgrange hippies galore.
    just when i got to rossnaree i heard a shot seen the lovely phesant falling from the sky when i got to the poor bird i picked him up put him in my carradice rack bag took him home now he's hanging in me shed for a few days until ready to pluck and then roast happy ending after all.

I pity the poor Dog who was sent to retrieve him. The Shooter prob thinks the Dog is F**k*ng useless:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

It was positively Californian weather out there, very warm but there were rivers on roads , I didnt care, I was delighted to be out in the daylight. I went upto Naul and Snowtown but took a slightly different route from there, I have a farily good internal NSEW compass in my head, but it failed me and I ended up finding more hills and adding 20k onto my planned trip. But enjoyed the spin, cycling through rivers and getting drenched by passing 40foot trucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Poor shooter missed his dinner :pac:

As one of those types, some advice - If you've picked it up yesterday and you're hanging it in a shed/sheltered area, put it into the fridge fairly lively - It's pretty warm at the moment, even if it doesn't feel it. The last thing you want to see is wiggling under the skin when you start to pluck it.

Pluck it, pop it in the fridge, and preheat the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Today I decided to do a few laps of Howth, and had planned to go early this morning but ended up not leaving until about I pm. Wasn't long before I felt something was amiss and realized I hadn't eaten anything since 7.30 or so that morning, and my diet over the past few days wasn't the best ( quality street and roses, mostly). Nevermind, I'll keep going for a while I thought. After the third, I was feeling a bit woozy, and still wearing the winter gear of the past month with the temperature at 12 degrees I was starting to sweat. Feck it, I'll go once more then head back. On the way around I came across someone in an Orwell jersey at the bottom of the hill and thought will I just stick in behind or keep my momentum and overtake. I decided to overtake and made what I thought to be the universal sign of " Just passing you by, not trying to challenge you or anything ' by lifting my left fingers from the brake hood and waving them slightly as I passed. A few moments later she overtook with what seemed to be a degree of indignation and off up she went.

I carried on around at an ever decreasing pace. I kept myself occupied by thinking about FSLs experience with the pheasant, and wouldn't it be great if a nice Lynskey or a Moots Vamoots frame and fork dropped out of the sky and landed unblemished in the foliage beside me. By the time I got home I was cold and feverish. This time of year has its fair share of health risks and getting the bonk is like riding with a hangover through a pool of sludge.

hah hah great story i've learned never to pass another cyclist be they male or female got caught out to many times on that one.:o
    always carry food no matter how long your going out for.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

ror_74 wrote: »
    Today I decided to do a few laps of Howth, and had planned to go early this morning but ended up not leaving until about I pm. Wasn't long before I felt something was amiss and realized I hadn't eaten anything since 7.30 or so that morning, and my diet over the past few days wasn't the best ( quality street and roses, mostly). Nevermind, I'll keep going for a while I thought. After the third, I was feeling a bit woozy, and still wearing the winter gear of the past month with the temperature at 12 degrees I was starting to sweat. Feck it, I'll go once more then head back. On the way around I came across someone in an Orwell jersey at the bottom of the hill and thought will I just stick in behind or keep my momentum and overtake. I decided to overtake and made what I thought to be the universal sign of " Just passing you by, not trying to challenge you or anything ' by lifting my left fingers from the brake hood and waving them slightly as I passed. A few moments later she overtook with what seemed to be a degree of indignation and off up she went.

I carried on around at an ever decreasing pace. I kept myself occupied by thinking about FSLs experience with the pheasant, and wouldn't it be great if a nice Lynskey or a Moots Vamoots frame and fork dropped out of the sky and landed unblemished in the foliage beside me. By the time I got home I was cold and feverish. This time of year has its fair share of health risks and getting the bonk is like riding with a hangover through a pool of sludge.

Overtake by a woman:D:p

hah many a time for me :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Was in town early this morning to do some last minute shopping and on the way home at 10:30am noticed the car temp gauge showing outside temp as 11 degrees so decided to take advantage of it. Took me an age to decide what I should wear and in the end up went with semi compression base layer, summer long sleeve jersey and bib tights with sleeveless wind proof gillet. Headed out at 11:30 and done 36k at average speed of 25kmph (last 8k is very hilly and lowers it from approx 30kmph) I was comfortably warm from the outset and there were no showers the whole time I was out. Met quite a few others out today too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭C3PO

The Garmin shows an average temperature of 12 degrees C for my two hour spin this afternoon ..... as opposed to 2 degrees one evening last week ..... weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

C3PO wrote: »
    The Garmin shows an average temperature of 12 degrees C for my two hour spin this afternoon ..... as opposed to 2 degrees one evening last week ..... weird!

Not nearly as wierd as the thaw after the freeze two years back. It was minus -18c at 6am on Stephen's Morning and a week later it was 11c. 29c in a difference. I was nearly walking round in shorts and a tee shirt :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

t'bear wrote: »
    It was positively Californian weather out there, very warm but there were rivers on roads , I didnt care, I was delighted to be out in the daylight. I went upto Naul and Snowtown but took a slightly different route from there, I have a farily good internal NSEW compass in my head, but it failed me and I ended up finding more hills and adding 20k onto my planned trip. But enjoyed the spin, cycling through rivers and getting drenched by passing 40foot trucks.
    tbear: if you are venturing into deep north county without a 'guide' then always bring supplies and never ever pretend you can play the banjo
    Went out for the 2nd time in almost 4 weeks due to crap weather,work and sickness. What a headwind. Fully expected a tough morn and duly got it.
    BTW if anyone finds a lung on the edge of the road - it's mine and I want it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Was a bit gusty but great weather for the time of year. Hear a load of shots being fired between Bellewstown and Naul, must be game hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

bcmf wrote: »
    tbear: if you are venturing into deep north county without a 'guide' then always bring supplies and never ever pretend you can play the banjo
    Went out for the 2nd time in almost 4 weeks due to crap weather,work and sickness. What a headwind. Fully expected a tough morn and duly got it.
    BTW if anyone finds a lung on the edge of the road - it's mine and I want it back.
    ror_74 wrote: »
    Was a bit gusty but great weather for the time of year. Hear a load of shots being fired between Bellewstown and Naul, must be game hunting.

Was out around that area myself this morning, my god the wind was mental! On the plus side, it was my first time back out on my 'good' bike in almost 2 months, felt like an animal, like the bike was pedalling itself! It is noticeably faster than the ss winter hack, but I guess that's to be expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Roads were in an awful state today - well for cyclists anyway. The wind combined with recent hedge cutting left the roads around Tara strewn with bits of branch that were nearly inpossible to avoid with a decent sized group. Needless to say there were a couple of punctures. Tough with the wind too especially the flyovers on the way back. It was actually easier up near the front than the rear with tighter group able to shelter each other going over those exposed sections.

Headwind all the way home so resting tired legs now. X-mas day looks cold but dry so I'll head out for a couple of hours if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Felt a bit like Jekyll and Hyde on the bike today... "I LOVE this tail wind! Cycling is such fun!" *changes direction* "I HATE this head wind! Who in their right mind cycles?"

I nearly stopped to help a woman push her car in the Phoenix Park. She was standing behind it pushing against the boot and it wasn't moving. It wasn't until I was beside her that I realised she was warming up for a jog. Probably would've been the worst in the world if I asked her if the handbrake was still on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

57 km out and back (tailwind on the way back - bliss)

not too many branches around as well

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/253848761

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Bringing the bikes down to d'family for the holidays. Ended up shoving all our bags and herself's 29'er into a taxi and racing it down to Heuston. And won. Shoving everything except my bike into a jeep for herself. Time to take on some hills in d'country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Headed down the coast road from kilmuckridge to castletown, back out on to arklow road, back to Gorey, Ballycanew and then home .
    60km all in all, head wind al the way back, lovely day otherwise.

Happy Christmas and safe cycling to all .

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Finished work this morning@ 10am when I got home I figured this could be the last dry day of 2012 suitable for a spin. So off I went didn't really have a route in mind so explored some quiet country roads that I hadn't traveled before they were a bit greasy alright so no speed records, ended up hitting some dirty hills I hadn't planned on too. After three and a half hours, 85k and 885m of climbing I got home completely knackered. Off to bed and here I am at work again!! :-( . It was great get out for a long enough one tho. Happy new year all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

30+ degrees, thunderstorms, lightning, calm, windy, sunny, swarms of insects, trachea seeking giant fly thing

today had it all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Today I learned mudguards only work if everyone has them. Still very happy with my 'winter' bike, it's the business on swamped mucky gravelly pot holed roads in the lashing rain! 40km in about 90 mins then soup and hot whiskeys. Winter riding FTW ye can keep yer canary island training camps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Anyone cycling from clontarf tomorrow to howth/portmarnock/malahide or will it be just TOO windy/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

My cycle today consisted of 38km, 3 punctures, no where open and a €40 taxi home, disastrous. Other than that it was grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Did the swords 2up tt with raam today. We won! A great way to end the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Did the swords 2up tt with raam today. We won! A great way to end the year.

You guys are awesome!!!
    :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement