Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

182k for what was planned as 170k. Duncannon - Admanstown - Kiltealy, Bunclody - Clonegal - ???? (directions from young lad on bridge playing banjo) - Parkbridge - Shillelagh (Yay!) - Tinahely - Ballinaglen - Aughrim - Rathdrum - Laragh - Sallygap - Rathfarnham. Totally knackered going up Glenmacnass, fending off hordes of insects while dealing with sporadic cramps. Great day out for all that, and the last day of summer was a good one. About 8hr30 all in, 7hr40 in the saddle.

Pondering on whether I've fitness for the dying cow in a couple of weeks, as I've no 200ks done this year and fitness is crap, might just give it a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Dragged my 140kg lump around the Phoenix Park on the singlespeed for 20Km this afternoon. Managed an avg of 23km/hr with lots of slowing down to pass people on the closed roads. Great to see so many people out cycling with their kids today.

Felt grand after the spin today, so I'll be upping the distance to 30Km from tomorrow. Not sure how the bike will cope with the extra weight I have put on, there was a lot of creaking and groaning from the frame today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Totally drained the tank of all fuel today in 5,284 metres of climbing. I lost the will to live on the ascent of the Col de L'Iseran. By a long margin, the most difficult day ever on the bike.

http://app.strava.com/activities/187496887

:eek:

131km, 5,300m and 205w average.

Chapeau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Did my first Audax today around the mountains of Mayo and Sligo on the Adrian Nealon Memorial 200k. Weather was shocking, 4 seasons in one day!! Got absolutely soaked and rode against the wind all the way home from Dromore West up over Lough Easkey and the Windy Gap into Bonniconlon. A great experience made better by lovely tea and sandwiches at the end. I will sleep well tonight!!!

http://www.strava.com/activities/188055572

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Cycled from Killarney up to Molls Gap on to Sneem, Kenmare and back to Killarney. 103km, a lot of it long climbs in atrocious weather, very windy and heavy rain. All on my trusty 11 year old steel mountain bike as my carbon Trek Domane is in for a warranty repair (should have been ready for my trip down but wasn't :-()

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,114 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

37km today around north dublin. still getting fit, nearly came to a standstill on the way up to fourknocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

I saw a guy paragliding up on the feather bed today and then as I headed up to sallygap I saw an old woman heading towards Glencree on a road bike long grey hair and no helmet.. Weird anyone else see her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »

Chapeau.
    Thanks! :D

I should have added that the end of the ride was an absolute killer. I thought my hotel was at the town at the end only to discover that it involved a further 500m climb up another Col to get to it. It was a bit like arriving exhausted in Dublin city centre only to discover your hotel is at the Sally Gap!

Already totally spent I was sorely attempted to fcuk the bike over a cliff on that last ascent. I had to be supported at the finish to prevent me from falling over and was practically carried to the bar for sustenance!

Immense sense of satisfaction getting over the Col L'Iseran all the same. What a climb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did 30km at my ftp around killeen Tara and kilmessan.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Max Q

paulgs wrote: »
    I saw a guy paragliding up on the feather bed today and then as I headed up to sallygap I saw an old woman heading towards Glencree on a road bike long grey hair and no helmet.. Weird anyone else see her?

Yes! Passed her on the Ballinascorney Rd around 12ish. Unusual sight alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Hit a tree at speed out mountain biking, came off, broke the helmet, got concussion, rode back to the cars, went to A&E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne to Ballyfermot, Very close to taking the car after a bottle of wine last night but couldn't face the school traffic, Hope the head clears for the return after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

A few of us did a Galway to Dublin Spin yesterday. Great day for it.

I was amazed by the amount of Roadkill we came across. Foxes, cats, badgers, unidentified ferry creatures. Fresh as well. If you weren't squeamish about what went on your BBQ you could eat very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

daragh_ wrote: »
    I was amazed by the amount of Roadkill we came across. Foxes, cats, badgers, unidentified ferry creatures. Fresh as well. If you weren't squeamish about what went on your BBQ you could eat very well.

I spotted a deer on the side of the N11 past Bray on Saturday, bit big to carry home.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

BadTeacher wrote: »
    Yes! Passed her on the Ballinascorney Rd around 12ish. Unusual sight alright!

If its the same lady and it sounds like her, I've spotted here a few times over the summer on my way up to Sallygap.

Fair play to her but she looks a tad demented whizzing by on her bike with her locks blowing in the wind and grinning demonically as she pedals by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Up early Saturday morning, wrecked my own head over doing a cycle. Didn't happen.
    Up early Sunday morning, wrecked my own head over doing a cycle. Didn't happen.
    Up early Monday morning, wrecked my own head over doing a cycle and managed to get myself together.

I don't have to find a bigger hill.
    I don't have to go faster all the time.
    I don't need to do a longer cycle.
    My average speed is irrelevant.

So I went on a leisurely tourist type spin around Dublin. I went on a cycle to enjoy myself.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and it felt like I had done 5km.

53.5km zipping around Dublin.

I did get lost a few times and stopped to chat to a few people (aka getting directions)

I should stop wrecking my own head.

mhggtu.jpg

I'm doing this stuff more often. Probably take my camera with me, as a poor second love :)

Dublin has some beautiful buildings, in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Up early Saturday morning, wrecked my own head over doing a cycle. Didn't happen.
    Up early Sunday morning, wrecked my own head over doing a cycle. Didn't happen.
    Up early Monday morning, wrecked my own head over doing a cycle and managed to get myself together.

I don't have to find a bigger hill.
    I don't have to go faster all the time.
    I don't need to do a longer cycle.
    My average speed is irrelevant.

So I went on a leisurely tourist type spin around Dublin. I went on a cycle to enjoy myself.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and it felt like I had done 5km.

53.5km zipping around Dublin.

I did get lost a few times and stopped to chat to a few people (aka getting directions)

I should stop wrecking my own head.

mhggtu.jpg

I'm doing this stuff more often. Probably take my camera with me, as a poor second love :)

Dublin has some beautiful buildings, in fairness.
    Great way to do it! I'm always promising I'm going to turn off the strava one if these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

fillup wrote: »
    If its the same lady and it sounds like her, I've spotted here a few times over the summer on my way up to Sallygap.

Fair play to her but she looks a tad demented whizzing by on her bike with her locks blowing in the wind and grinning demonically as she pedals by

Sounds very like my sister but I wouldn't expect her to be on a road bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

crosstownk wrote: »

Chapeau.
    fookin hell thatss a savage day in the saddle!

fookin hell thats a savage day in the saddle!

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    Hit a tree at speed out mountain biking, came off, broke the helmet, got concussion, rode back to the cars, went to A&E.
    went A&E , you wimp!

seriously though, glad you werent badly hurt.

iamtony wrote: »
    Great way to do it! I'm always promising I'm going to turn off the strava one if these days!
    I hope you shouted Wheeeeeeeee on your way down any of the hills you encountered, I am originally from Blackrock & the spin along the strand & out as far a Dunlaoghaire is really nice(on a good day) stop in teddys at the back of the pier in dunlaoghaire for a 99 & away you go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I hope you shouted Wheeeeeeeee on your way down any of the hills you encountered

I do that on organised spins as I freewheel* past the light lads pedalling downhill...

*PE = mgh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Originally Posted by crosstownk viewpost.gif
    eek.png

Chapeau.

forgive me but I don't see how this is 5,300 metres of climbing?

after crostownk's post, my 29.2 km & 22.8 km average feels a bit paltry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Originally Posted by crosstownk viewpost.gif
    eek.png

Chapeau.

forgive me but I don't see how this is 5,300 metres of climbing?

Not sure about Crosstownk's numbers but occasionally at high altitude GPS altimeters are somewhat unreliable.

An example is where my Edge 500 recorded a 50km ride with 5,714m gain. This was on a recent Manali - Leh trip and it appears the issue was that momentarily the GPS dropped my altitude back down a couple of thousand meters and then corrected itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash viewpost.gif
    Totally drained the tank of all fuel today in 5,284 metres of climbing. I lost the will to live on the ascent of the Col de L'Iseran. By a long margin, the most difficult day ever on the bike.

It looks incorrect as there was only 2 climbs done, first one from 800mts to 2000mts and the second one from 1500mts or there abouts to 2700mts. That doesn't add up to 5,300mts.

I say this as I did a similar spin in the French Alps up 4 cols over 150kms and it only added upto 3200mts climbing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash viewpost.gif

It looks incorrect as there was only 2 climbs done, first one from 800mts to 2000mts and the second one from 1500mts or there abouts to 2700mts. That doesn't add up to 5,300mts.

I say this as I did a similar spin in the French Alps up 4 cols over 150kms and it only added upto 3200mts climbing!

In fairness, his new Strava profile pic is just fabulous. :D

He's some man, for one man. Well worth following on Strava.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lads & lassies, I'm only referring to what I see on Strava. WA has done some serious climbing in the last week so irrespective of what Strava reports, he gets my kudos.

Either way, it's monumental compared to my 57km spin today with 430m climbed with an average of 27.1km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Fabulous morning for cycling - commute doubled as I had to drop some stuff the other side of town and it was glorious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement