Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Usual Archway - Kentish Town - Camden Town - Regent's Park 3 laps - Camden Road - Holloway Road - home loop last night. about the first 80% of the spin was great, but It was like someone had pissed in the bus drivers' coffee on the way home. Multiple displays of dangerous driving on the Camden Road, lots of bus drivers cutting up cyclists and then swerving to get into the bus stops etc. Very frustrating, I hate when I'm in a good mood with most of my cycle done and then some bellends decide to ruin it. 22km done anyway with a hair under 25 km/h average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Got a fly in my eye just as I was about to overtake someone on a downhill, how my mood changed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,114 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

north country dublin smelt strongly of onions this evening.

well, around thornton/kilsallaghan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

My sisters are just getting into cycling, so I went for a nice easy spin with them this afternoon. Did Geragh and Christ the King climbs. 60 km total. Sometimes it's nice to go at a relaxed pace to reconnect with the joys of cycling. The weather was smashing as well.

Then did a hell for leather 52 km with the club tonight. Some difference in the average speed between the two spins: 20 km/hr -> 35 km/hr !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Today was my first commute since been involved in a collision with a car on 9 July.

God its great to be back on the bike. 25k in and the same back home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice spin last night up Cruagh, Sally gap, back down towards manor Kilbride direction, right to go back up the Shankill road by the firing range, and down Ballinscorney / Bohernabreena. Hadn't been up the Shankill road since it was re-surfaced and its now an absolute joy to cycle with a long enough climb and descent. About 46k with a nice 70kph coming off the gap. Still a wuss descending, but getting better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Starting a new job today, no more 40 min commute by car into work, I live 2 miles from my work place so I can cycle to work, I feel like a school boy getting my bag ready . I love cycling but with young family haven't had opportunity as much over last few years.

What a great way to travel !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Usual Archway - Kentish Town - Camden Town - Regent's Park 3 laps - Camden Road - Holloway Road - home loop last night. about the first 80% of the spin was great, but It was like someone had pissed in the bus drivers' coffee on the way home. Multiple displays of dangerous driving on the Camden Road, lots of bus drivers cutting up cyclists and then swerving to get into the bus stops etc. Very frustrating, I hate when I'm in a good mood with most of my cycle done and then some bellends decide to ruin it. 22km done anyway with a hair under 25 km/h average.
    so its not just drivers in Ireland that can be numpties!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Puggy wrote: »
    Today was my first commute since been involved in a collision with a car on 9 July.

God its great to be back on the bike. 25k in and the same back home.
    fair play for getting back in the saddle, now to make up for lost time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Another lovely day for a 25km spin around the Phoenix Park. I managed to get up the Kyber without feeling like I was about to pooh myself.....small victories :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Borrowed the wifenbike for the sub 2k run in to work this morning. Despite the sea of POBs and battetburger fixated slowtorists I managed to spend two separate segments between bridges at 40kph and pootled between the rest at 35.

That thing is a rocket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

75km on my tod, home Kilfinane , ballylanders, Mitchelstown , Kilfinane, Kilmallock and home. Absolutely wrecked and do t think I'll be able for 160 rebel tour, may take a sneaky shortcut and reduce to 120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

50km over to Howth and back, gave the village side a bit of a go and managed two top 10's which, considering my dislike of climbing and current weight (around 90kg) is a pretty solid achievement. Some big names around those times and speeds too so I'm happy :).

http://www.strava.com/segments/6974762?filter=overall

Managed 8th but the KOM and 2nd place are held by two pros, baby steps :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    ...Managed 8th but the KOM and 2nd place are held by two pros, baby steps :D
    Kudos. Next step - getting ahead of RAAM!

(I'm 15kgs lighter than you but 583 places behind! :o Although I'm probably twice your age - Life's too short for killing myself. :D)

Kudos. Next step - getting ahead of RAAM!

(I'm 15kgs lighter than you but 583 places behind! :o Although I'm probably twice your age - Life's too short for killing myself. :D)

Don't think he's in the Boards strava club as it says I have the top time :pac: Does his name begin with P? If so I'm pretty sure he's a mountain goat in human form :p

Edit: I dream of being 75kg :pac:

Don't think he's in the Boards strava club as it says I have the top time :pac: Does his name begin with P? If so I'm pretty sure he's a mountain goat in human form :p

Edit: I dream of being 75kg :pac:

I dream of being 90kg!

I dream of being 90kg!

Trust me, for cycling uphill its awful :pac:

Clipped in for the first time on new road bike. Didn't kill myself.

Result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ronoc wrote: »
    Clipped in for the first time on new road bike. Didn't kill myself.

Result.
    Post back in a few weeks when complacency sets in! :D

Trust me, for cycling uphill its awful :pac:

Oh you mean it's not as wonderful as dragging 120kgs up ?

• Advertisement

Post back in a few weeks when complacency sets in! :D
    True that!

I was cycling along chanting to myself "I'm clipped in" the whole time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ronoc wrote: »
    True that!

I was cycling along chanting to myself "I'm clipped in" the whole time :pac:

I did that. It helps. Insane as it sounds. :)

Best cycle in a long while today. 61kph of joy+ (the plus being a flat and nearly spraining my wrist by hitting a rut while flat out in the drops) went home phoenix park strawberry beds lucan dunboyne Kilbride bracetown damastown Finglas phoenix and home.

I decided to take a leaf out of Ford 2600s book and do it on an empty stomach. It was nippy when I left at 0800 so my glorious boards jersey was concealed beneath my inglorious windshell until I was well out of Dublin. But once I got past Lucan it was a gorgeous morning.

Never felt the absence of breakfast and wasn't even particularly hungry when I got home.

I spent large portions of the spin resisting the urge to whoop with exhilaration...this 9-5 office business is pretty deadening physically I guess. ..even after the puncture and a few false starts on the new pedals the feeling quickly returned.

So then the fates threw a deep horizontal cut into the road in Finglas and gridlock in Ashtown to punish me for my happiness.

The fates can go feck themselves. It was still a great spin.

http://www.strava.com/activities/190823963/segments/4482422739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I dream of being 90kg!

Me too..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

2 Flats on the within a mile around Kippure resulted in a call for the broom wagon. Note to self ... always carry 2 tubes 😠

meisce wrote: »
    2 Flats on the within a mile around Kippure resulted in a call for the broom wagon. Note to self ... always carry 2 tubes 😠

Self inflicted injury. Jog on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Stillorgan, Sugar Loaf, Wicklow Gap Turlough Hill and back.
    105k. with a fair bit of climbing. :)
    Some pics on pics thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Arranged to meet crosstownk +1 up at the icecream van/viewing point, up past the hellfire club this morning to possibly do the Gran Fondo.

Got up nice and early, bowl of porridge, even put on some Chamois cream for the first time. Had everything planned for once.

Managed to get up there, eventually. It was my fist time doing that climb, it was very tough and I had to stop a few times. But I got there in the end. I was about 30 minutes early so had a little spin further on up but unfortunately my right hand ring finger started swelling up last night and was pretty sore this morning. Me missus reckons it is infected :/

It was getting quite painful while cycling so I met the lads but decided to bail out.

I think I did the right thing as using the RH brake lever on the descent was a bit of a mare.

All that effort and pain to get up there, just to come back down.

Gutted.

Anyways... I'm going back to sticking my finger is some water/salt/curry/Turmeric "witchcraft" concoction my missus insists will be great for my finger. (I'm a bit worried that it is actually dying my finger a strange bright colour!) :eek:

Still, it was nice to meet crosstownk + 1 :) Hopefully see them again in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Planned on doing 100km+ today. Met Unknown Soldier as per above but his finger did look quite painful.

As Unkown Soldier headed home to the Shamen for treatment, myself and my buddy headed off via Glencullen to Enniskerry. Somewhere after Enniskerry we got lost :rolleyes: and ended up on a long draggy climb that led back to the Military Road. The legs were feeling tired so we headed up by Lough Bray and home via Sally Gap.

82km with 1,000m at 23.2km/h.

Will have to hook up with Unknown Soldier again for a spin (once his finger has been amputated :D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Flat 76k @ 28k/hr

https://www.strava.com/activities/191025393

Sun was deceptively cold as I started but warmed up after about 30 minutes. A lot of cyclists out today, probably only 50/50 in terms of who waved back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement