Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Left work a little early and took the M1 up to Rostrevor for the Red Loop of their newish purpose built MTB trails. http://www.mountainbikeni.com/rostrevor/
    It was totally awesome. A really well designed 2 hours of flow. Class.
    The still sunny evening, the views over towards Slieve Foye and Carlingford, all good really. 28km, 822m of climb, 2 hours. No records are ever going to be broken MTBing but for sure it's great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Cycled from work up Cruagh with the intention of going on to Old Military Road.

But I felt weak (first cycle in about three weeks) so I took the turn on to Ballybrack Road and then on to Kilternan and home.

It was lovely and warm up there.

Came across the tarmac section also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

"A quick nooner" as they say. Fond of this route now, Leeson St., Killegar Stables, Johnny The Fox, up Burrow Rd. and home. 3 nice hills. 32k. @23kph.
    Thursday afternoons off spin.
    (Slow enough on the 11kg+ steel)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

^^ lovely quite roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Went on a bit of a ramble down the N11 towards Wicklow. Hit the sisters place for some lunch and rambled back home. Still can't believe it's September out there. Tan lines topped up.:D

Enniskerry- N11- NTMK - Ashford- Wicklow.

http://www.strava.com/activities/193055746
    100kms avg 28.4Km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Another beautiful day out there today. 45km around the Park and out as far as Lucan. I couldn't get back into the Park fast enough, I just can't relax when out on the roads with traffic.

Started shopping for a road bike today. As much as I love the singlespeed, a few more gears would come in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

53km this evening thanks to finishing work a bit early ;)

I'm getting somewhat fed up of my usual Blessington spin so I headed out the N81 as far as Brittas then out via Talbotstown, on past the firing range and back to the N81 via the R759 and Lisheens.

53km at 26.1km/h with 500m climbed according to my Edge 200.

The weather and the scenery is excellent. Long may it last before the torture of Winter sets in. :(

A free pint via the Guinness app meant a slight detour before home :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Woman drive, pulls into bus lane in donnybrook this morning nearly taking out me and another cyclist, she indicates left and goes by 2 left hand turns.

Then as she hits a bit of bus traffic she decides to pull into a spot basically straight across the guy in front, then she does the same to me, I clip her wing mirror with my handle bar and arm and she beeps me...

Then on the way home.. A bird **** in my mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Great cycle yesterday evening.
    Work in Dublin City centre to Howth. Dropped into BikeHub to drop a group set in for my new frame - Van Nicholas Ventus - will collect next week.
    Cycled home via back of airport. Lovely (but expensive) 60k ride.
    Managed a quick 30k tonite on back roads between Hazelhatch and Lucan.
    Absolutely fantastic weather for past few weeks. Managed 200k thus far this week which is sadly to say one of my biggest weeks on the bike in a year where I have done precious little on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Beautiful evening for a cycle, 32km 27kmh average, albeit to short, need to invest in some decent lights.
    Recommendations?

http://www.strava.com/activities/193155436

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

I use an LED Lenser M7RX up front, up to 600 lumens and a fantastic zoom facility from a very intense beam to an excellent flood that lights up the entire road. 600 lumens might even be overkill so one of the cheaper models could suit. Heavy for a bike light though. On the other hand it will survive a cruise missile attack.

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/led-lenser-rechargeable-range/led-lenser-m7rx-rechargeable-torch.html

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    I use an LED Lenser M7RX up front, up to 600 lumens and a fantastic zoom facility from a very intense beam to an excellent flood that lights up the entire road. 600 lumens might even be overkill so one of the cheaper models could suit. Heavy for a bike light though. On the other hand it will survive a cruise missile attack.

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/led-lenser-rechargeable-range/led-lenser-m7rx-rechargeable-torch.html

I had one of the old M7's lost it some bloody where:(.
    They are a serious piece of Kit.
    Is the bike mount secure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Yeah it seems very secure, I had it on a mountain bike on holiday and zipped up and down tracks with no mishaps. The vibrations are barely damped as a result but on the road bike it's not much of an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

PrismES wrote: »
    Beautiful evening for a cycle, 32km 27kmh average, albeit to short, need to invest in some decent lights.
    Recommendations?

http://www.strava.com/activities/193155436

I got a Cateye volt 700 and it's daytime, only 146grams too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out for 5:45 this morning for a cracking early morning spin up the military road and off it for a bit too. Some more pics here. After a rather feeble attempt to head towards kippure on the tracks, I now know why CX bikes have canti brakes, and why slicks and mud are not a good combo. Will be back to take that trail again on the hybrid soon. Back to the Military road, front wheel off to de-cack the brakes, and a glorious descent home for about 7:30 and a steaming mug of black coffee. Re lights, I found the B&M IXON IQ did a good job in the dark this morning.

321899.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Lost my second front mudguard on the cycle track at the airport yesterday morning. Just a small twig got caught and ripped off the mudguard.

Stopped to clean up the debris and saw a white can go by closely followed by a drafting cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Decided to give kippure a go today as i out for cycle in mountains.

Tough oul hill that alright.

Was up there at 11am but it was thick fog at that stage so crap view which was a shame.
    3 or 4 sheep on the final bend at the top laughing at me as i gasped for oxygen getting to the top:)

http://app.strava.com/activities/193450835

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

oconnpad wrote: »
    Decided to give kippure a go today as i out for cycle in mountains.

Tough oul hill that alright.

Was up there at 11am but it was thick fog at that stage so crap view which was a shame.
    3 or 4 sheep on the final bend at the top laughing at me as i gasped for oxygen getting to the top:)

http://app.strava.com/activities/193450835

148km for me today your right was really foggy in stretches up there today and loads of sheep everwhere was even caught in a sheep train for 1-2kms coming up sally gap:-)... bikes length visibilty coming down from lough tay and halway up wicklow gap the same thing happened again the fog rolled in:rolleyes:....
    http://www.strava.com/activities/193461608?fb_action_ids=10152699154238622&fb_action_types=fitness.bikes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B831549243551809%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22fitness.bikes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

zindicato wrote: »
    148km for me today your right was really foggy in stretches up there today and loads of sheep everwhere was even caught in a sheep train for 1-2kms coming up sally gap:-)... bikes length visibilty coming down from lough tay and halway up wicklow gap the same thing happened again the fog rolled in:rolleyes:....
    http://www.strava.com/activities/193461608?fb_action_ids=10152699154238622&fb_action_types=fitness.bikes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B831549243551809%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22fitness.bikes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Looking at your trace seems all over the place around glendalough?

I'd similar but not as bad as yours on the military road, leaving roundwood to ashford and up from ashford to annamoe.

i'm using garmin set to 1 sec data log but even on the garmin connect it looks the same, little zig zags and loops. It's weird that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

oconnpad wrote: »
    Looking at your trace seems all over the place around glendalough?

I'd similar but not as bad as yours on the military road, leaving roundwood to ashford and up from ashford to annamoe.

i'm using garmin set to 1 sec data log but even on the garmin connect it looks the same, little zig zags and loops. It's weird that.

heheheh went up from bohernabreena/friarstown, sally gap, lough tay wicklow gap 2x thats why it looked like im all over glendalough and up sally gap again from n81(r759) awful reception with garmin too lost connection 3x in wicklow gap and 1x up lough tay:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

First time up howth hill today. Was shorter than I expected (coming from howth village) but still tough. I see what people were talking about re the road surface.

A slow ride for me this evening, decided to take a more leisurely pace and have a look around. A more sociable ride.

http://www.strava.com/activities/193538305

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

First time out in a week because I've bee resting my knee which is giving me trouble.
    Just did 32km in gorgeous heat. Also managed to get a KOM back that I lost yesterday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It ended after 6km when I got a sudden rather dramatic rear wheel flat around Regent's Park... at the worst possible spot (near the mosque and the ambassador's residence, for anyone who is familiar with it). Ended up doing the 2km+ walk of shame to the bike shop in Camden Town when I couldn't get the skewer off the rear wheel as it had been put on too tightly when I had the rear wheel replaced 9 months ago :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

149kms from Wexford to Tullamore. 5:18 moving time for a 28kph avg. Thanks to the Carlow club group who towed me along for a bit of the way before sh*t*^ing me out the back. Hope I didn't disrupt your group's rhythm too much but I'm not used to group riding.

Had a great chicken wrap from a van just outside Carlow and the icing on the cake was getting warned I was too fast by one of those electronic radar signs in Killeigh.

Rb

I couldn't get the skewer off the rear wheel as it had been put on too tightly when I had the rear wheel replaced 9 months ago :mad:

Your rear wheel hasn't been removed in 9 months :eek: Do you not remove it periodically to clean the cassette or am I a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning my bike??

http://www.strava.com/activities/193951817

81km today with 800m of climbing. Was very excited when strava gave me top 6 on a segment only to realise its 6 out of 11, a well least I'm in the top 10 somewhere.
    Broke a spoke on the Lyons road after a rough ride along the canal towpath.
    A blissful day with the sunshine, what a September.
    Does anybody else find the hill at the top of Rathcole to the right of the Killteel road a killer, can't understand why, it's not very steep?

PrismES wrote: »
    http://www.strava.com/activities/193951817

Does anybody else find the hill at the top of Rathcole to the right of the Killteel road a killer, can't understand why, it's not very steep?

I assume you mean Windmill Hill...? It's tough enough in places alright - average of 6% and some +9% sections so it can be challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 80km today at avg speed 30.1 kph. Legs died after 74km.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    I assume you mean Windmill Hill...? It's tough enough in places alright - average of 6% and some +9% sections so it can be challenging.

That's the one, the road certainly doesn't look like it when cycling, but looking at the elevation profile I can see it is.
    I think its psychological.
    Must try harder next time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement