Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Decided to take the hybrid down an bit of the Wicklow way yesterday, getting onto the tracks here. Bit of a slog to get nowhere in a hurry, with plenty of sections of large loose gravel showing me that I need to work on mountain bike skills. Lots of locked gates which the bike had to be lifted over didn't help much either, and eventually ditched the Wicklow way path back tracked in favour of a more bedded in trail that end up bring me back to the Devil's elbow. While I enjoy a bit of light off road stuff, this seem like a lot of effort for not much. Still, you never know until you give it a bash, and the Enniskerry road felt like the surface of a snooker table for the ride home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

had my 2nd attempt at a cycle today. Its started badly and finished badly. Firstly my wardrobe seems to have shrunk my cycling gear so wasnt a very flattering look. Was meant to be bringing my young fella over to Swords to get him in on his first group spin and into a club. We were late and not a cyclist in sight so we headed off on our own up towards Naul all going well till just just before Ballyboughal when I changed gear and my front deraileur packed up. Couldnt change gear properly and a loud clunking noise of the chain hitting the fitting. Another cyclist did stop and gave me a hand to try and fix it but in the end had to put the chain on the big front ring and back ring and head back to car. Roll on next weekend will give attempt number 3 a try

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wee bit breezy on the coast today. nice day for it apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

First semi decent spin on my new Conti 4000s today
    Man they're sweet and a lot quieter than the Bontrangers I had on the bike
    88k with 4 climbs of the Hill of Howth and a spin out to Portmarnock and Malahide
    The legs were only loosening up on the coast road on the way back, I could've easily done a few more hours but I'd left it too late in the day for it

Beautiful day for it too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we may have passed each other so, i did a lap of howth earlier and was out portmarnock and malahide way too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I decided to take on the Strava Gran Fondo Challenge today so I opted to keep things fairly flat as my maximum distance YTD was 113kms.

I headed out to Meath via Clonee and onto Dunshaughlin. Then I went for Dunsany, Summerhill, Kilcock, Maynooth, Clane, Sallins, Naas, Rathcoole, Tallaght and home.

131kms so I'm happy to have achieved that especially as it was solo. At about 90km I think my brain started to tell me it had had enough but I pressed on. The legs are a bit tired at the moment.

The scenery in that neck of the woods is nothing like what Wicklow has to offer and that seemed to make the spin feel longer.

131kms at 25.7km/h with 524m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Headwind on the way out to howth late this afternoon, I was going the opposite way though...and in my car :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

40km loop from Sligo to Riverstown and back, hit my stride on the return down the dual carriageway and hit avg 33km/h from Collooney to Summerhill, beat a few Strava PR's on the way, not too shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Set out this afternoon to do a bit of Wicklow in my boards jersey and a spiffy new set of arm warmers, got up Cruagh road and the gap non stop to the top, was chuffed with that even though I got dropped by two guys from the Defence Forces Cycling club (going by the kit) before I'd even started battling my Climbesis, came down off the military road at the X-roads, took the turn for Kilbride, I swear I will never get used to the drop at the start of that descent, two lads out on road bikes in runners and football shorts shot past me as I deployed parachutes going down the bit at the start.

It was deeply satisfying when I passed and dropped them ten or fifteen minutes later, all ho-hum thereafter. Lovely day apart from the usual Sun only comes out on the long climbs conspiracy.

http://app.strava.com/activities/194644558

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Set out this afternoon to do a bit of Wicklow in my boards jersey and a spiffy new set of arm warmers, got up Cruagh road and the gap non stop to the top, was chuffed with that even though I got dropped by two guys from the Defence Forces Cycling club (going by the kit) before I'd even started battling my Climbesis, came down off the military road at the X-roads, took the turn for Kilbride, I swear I will never get used to the drop at the start of that descent, two lads out on road bikes in runners and football shorts shot past me as I deployed parachutes going down the bit at the start.

It was deeply satisfying when I passed and dropped them ten or fifteen minutes later, all ho-hum thereafter. Lovely day apart from the usual Sun only comes out on the long climbs conspiracy.

Which descent is this?

• Advertisement

Zyzz wrote: »
    Which descent is this?

It's the descent from Sally Gap to Manor Kilbride along the River Liffey. It's quite steep for the first km or so and with today's (slight) Easterly wind, you could have gone balls to the wall if descending is your gig. Just be on the look out for stray sheep and the "right - left" over the narrow bridge - especially the left!

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's the descent from Sally Gap to Manor Kilbride along the River Liffey. It's quite steep for the first km or so and with today's (slight) Easterly wind, you could have gone balls to the wall if descending is your gig. Just be on the look out for stray sheep and the "right - left" over the narrow bridge - especially the left!

Oh this one?

http://www.strava.com/segments/6224344

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

we may have passed each other so, i did a lap of howth earlier and was out portmarnock and malahide way too.

I was out and about from about 11 to 14:00 ish wearing a RoK 2014 jersey.
    Ring any bells?

unfortunately not!
    i was climbing howth from the village side at a quarter past 12; wearing a bright yellow jersey.

Yep - that's the one. That segment is the steepest part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Marathon MTB XC championships at Rostrevor today for me and about one hundred others. What a great setting and a great place. 72km in 4.5 hours. Sounds slow doesn't it :)
    Fair play to Summit Mountain Biking Team for taking it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Decided to give the Wicklow 200 route a bash today. Got a lift out and started from the petrol station in kilcoole. My dad joined me for the first 60 before heading right to blessington when I took the left for baltinglass.

Really enjoyed the ride and was averaging 27.5 for the first 100. Slowed up a little after that with the back to back climbs tough!!

Got a little lost at Red Cross and just headed for the first n11 sign after that. Felt proper rough for 15km or so near the end but the smell of the finish line kicked me on for the final 10.

Distance: 191
    Climbing: 2629m
    Moving time: 7 hrs 30
    Average: 25.5 kmph

https://www.strava.com/activities/194469127

Longest spin to date but bloody stiff now!!

Yep - that's the one. That segment is the steepest part.

I do enjoy that segment very much.

Me too. I enjoy it both up and down. I think I'll take a stab at climbing it next weekend!

Me too. I enjoy it both up and down. I think I'll take a stab at climbing it next weekend!

I prefer the downhill part a lot more than the uphill :pac::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

It sh*ts me up every time, descents should not have their own horizons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got out yesterday for 72km. Went over the Windy Gap in Castlebar and managed a PB on it, so happy with that.
    I had 5 days rest last week which seems to have done me the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I did some power intervals this morning up Cruagh Road.

Instagrammed myself impersonating Chris Froome aka The FroomeDog!

http://www.strava.com/activities/195209336/

WARNING: There's road resurfacing going on up to Johnny Foxes and down to the petrol station at the bottom. Really annoying having to concentrate to stay alive :P

I did some power intervals this morning up Cruagh Road.

Instagrammed myself impersonating Chris Froome aka The FroomeDog!

http://www.strava.com/activities/195209336/

WARNING: There's road resurfacing going on up to Johnny Foxes and down to the petrol station at the bottom. Really annoying having to concentrate to stay alive :P

I like that route, I tend to got the opposite direction though.

A handy 40km this evening. I met Unknown Soldier at Brittas on his detour home from work and we went on to Manor Kilbride and back to Tallaght via the Embankment descent where he split for home. Sound bloke.

These darker evenings are a b1tch despite the balmy temperatures. Kms seriously reduced thanks to Mr. Sun going down earlier :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Limped around the Phoenix Park today for 38Km. Couldn't convince myself to do a few more laps before heading home.

On my return I summoned the Soigneur for a massage, that didn't go down well so I'm now hiding in the garage cleaning the bike :/

fiacha wrote: »

On my return I summoned the Soigneur for a massage, that didn't go down well so I'm now hiding in the garage cleaning the bike :/

I hope you have a beer (or two) to make up for the lack of massage.........;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd say being 1st out of 1340 helps! Averaging 65km/h is fast enough for me there nevermind your average of 84km/h! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Epic weekend ride of 610k in 39 hours. Great Dunmow in Essex to Goole near Leeds and back. Kept company with a tandem, 5 Elliptigo riders, a trike, a past contestant in the Race around Ireland (Jim Fitzpatrick) and a Kilkenny man with a busted knee. Highlights of the spin included: a northeasterly headwind across the fens of eastern england, a hapless barman in Sleaford arriving to work expecting his usual 4 or 5 Sunday morning customers being greeted by 100 hungry cyclists demanding cooked breakfast, a 3-hour snooze on a grassy riverbank near Gainsborough at 377k and a most welcome pint at the finish (610k) at 9 pm on Sunday...

Northbound
    Southbound

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Epic weekend ride of 610k in 39 hours. Great Dunmow in Essex to Goole near Leeds and back. Kept company with a tandem, 5 Elliptigo riders, a trike, a past contestant in the Race around Ireland (Jim Fitzpatrick) and a Kilkenny man with a busted knee. Highlights of the spin included: a northeasterly headwind across the fens of eastern england, a hapless barman in Sleaford arriving to work expecting his usual 4 or 5 Sunday morning customers being greeted by 100 hungry cyclists demanding cooked breakfast, a 3-hour snooze on a grassy riverbank near Gainsborough at 377k and a most welcome pint at the finish (610k) at 9 pm on Sunday...

Northbound
    Southbound

Congrats, 600k+ is a major achievement, I've yet to do a 300.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement