Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice scoot up to J.Foxes via Burrow road and back via Cruagh over lunch. Loose chippings on new section still need to be bedded in on Pine forest road, but grand all the same. Looks very foggy further up in hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I'd say being 1st out of 1340 helps! Averaging 65km/h is fast enough for me there nevermind your average of 84km/h! :eek:

I've had a dream or two about going down there on the bike! :pac:

Give me a skin suit, 53x11 and an aero helmet and ill go faster :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Zyzz wrote: »
    I've had a dream or two about going down there on the bike! :pac:

Give me a skin suit, 53x11 and an aero helmet and ill go faster :D

I think I remember you saying that you have a kid, right, Zyzz?

You may be better off without that 53x11!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Not quite "today" but this is my first post in this thread so i guess i can seaize some leeway.

Woke up on Tuesday, having babysat my wife's brother's infant, so pretty tired. our four are all years past the keeping parents awake at night phase so we are out of practice. Checked phone, realised I had no unmissable meetings that day and decided to take a day's leave. Emailled that in then rolled over, slept for another hour or two. Woke up refreshed, more from the indulgence of not getting up than from the extra sleep.

Then had a nice breakfast with my wife (she jobshares so was on one of her days off) and then headed off for a cycle. Leisurely 100km on a route i had not done before - out past blessington, through the lakes drive, over wicklow gap (first time there, much easier than I expected or compared to Sally Gap). There was hot Tar on teh roads in Laragh but I lifted bike over them to stop in the cafe for a quick coffee and cake.

Then back on bike and home through Roundwood, Enniskerry and back to Dundrum.

Fantastic weather, never took the arm warmers out of my pocket.

Would have been a great day even if it were on a Saturday, but it was so much sweeter since I had woken up that morning expecting to be at work all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Evening Lads and Ladettes. Long time stalker, first time poster. I stumbled across this thread a few days ago and I've loved reading peoples' routes, given me some good ideas. Also convinced me to take the plunge and get Strava. I'm hooked. Strava'd my commute home from UCD this evening. Apparently I hit 44km/h along Nutgrove Ave. Score.

Anyway, anyone know if they're still doing roadworks around Stepaside/Johnny Foxes area? Want to get out tomorrow morning on account of having the day off college.

• Advertisement

Evening Lads and Ladettes. Long time stalker, first time poster. I stumbled across this thread a few days ago and I've loved reading peoples' routes, given me some good ideas. Also convinced me to take the plunge and get Strava. I'm hooked. Strava'd my commute home from UCD this evening. Apparently I hit 44km/h along Nutgrove Ave. Score.

Anyway, anyone know if they're still doing roadworks around Stepaside/Johnny Foxes area? Want to get out tomorrow morning on account of having the day off college.

Welcome to your new addiction.

I've heard the road isn't great at the minute, that may have been cleared. Go up Cruagh/Stocking Lane instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got an unexpected early finish from work today so I got out on the bike.

40km out to Manor Kilbride and back. Instead of my usual descent down the Embankment, I went over Seskin to gain a few more meters and for the descent :D It was my first time to do Seskin S-N and it's a fast descent.

Fcuk me, I did well to avoid ending up in Tallaght Hospital as I made a complete balls of my line through a right hander at +70km/h and just about avoided the ditch. I put all my faith in dropping the anchors and thankfully it paid off. :o

Anyway, 40km at 26.3km/h with 350m.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Welcome to your new addiction.

I've heard the road isn't great at the minute, that may have been cleared. Go up Cruagh/Stocking Lane instead!

I can see it becoming a problem. Especially when I found out that I got into the top eighth or so on the way home.

I was up around Johnny Foxes last week and ended up cycling over VERY freshly lain tar. I'll go up Stocking Lane tomorrow

crosstownk wrote: »
    I got an unexpected early finish from work today so I got out on the bike.

40km out to Manor Kilbride and back. Instead of my usual descent down the Embankment, I went over Seskin to gain a few more meters and for the descent :D It was my first time to do Seskin S-N and it's a fast descent.

Fcuk me, I did well to avoid ending up in Tallaght Hospital as I made a complete balls of my line through a right hander at +70km/h and just about avoided the ditch. I put all my faith in dropping the anchors and thankfully it paid off. :o

Anyway, 40km at 26.3km/h with 350m.

One of my favourite descents in Dublin! Looked at your attempt there, can see the exact moment you hit the brakes! :D

Get close to the left hand side coming up to the bend and then cut the apex as you go into the corner, have a lot of faith in your lean and you can carry a serious amount of speed into that corner..aka..no need for brakes! If you are going at speed its a bit silly staying out close to the ditch/trees while going around the bend!

One of my favourite descents in Dublin! Looked at your attempt there, can see the exact moment you hit the brakes! :D

Get close to the left hand side coming up to the bend and then cut the apex as you go into the corner, have a lot of faith in your lean and you can carry a serious amount of speed into that corner..aka..no need for brakes! If you are going at speed its a bit silly staying out close to the ditch/trees while going around the bend!

Thanks. I need to take that route a few more times to get familiar with the road.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I need to take that route a few more times to get familiar with the road.

It's a wickedly fast descent, no need for braking at any point! Go up and down it and work on your cornering, as those corners are relatively long and sweeping as well as very little traffic, you can carry a silly amount of speed into them! Be confident and have faith in your lean, then you can take those corners at 90km/h ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Can you post a strava link please?

It's a wickedly fast descent, no need for braking at any point! Go up and down it and work on your cornering, as those corners are relatively long and sweeping as well as very little traffic, you can carry a silly amount of speed into them! Be confident and have faith in your lean, then you can take those corners at 90km/h ;)

Agreed. No sharp corners so I think I'll make it my preferred route back home rather than the N81 - just for practice ;).

inc21 wrote: »

Do a segment search for "Corbally Descent"

Agreed. No sharp corners so I think I'll make it my preferred route back home rather than the N81 - just for practice ;).

Assuming that doesn't put my time into jeopardy I'll fully support that decision :p

http://www.strava.com/segments/corbally-descent-853281

Assuming that doesn't put my time into jeopardy I'll fully support that decision :p

You're safe.......

For now :D

Must be hard for you Zyzz to see this Damian Jones fellow first on the list

Must be hard for you Zyzz to see this Damian Jones fellow first on the list

Why so? :confused:

I find it always a bit painful after a big effort to share the top spot. If i only... and so on
    Its getting late, nevermind

• Advertisement

I find it always a bit painful after a big effort to share the top spot. If i only... and so on
    Its getting late, nevermind

Ahh yes I get ya! Doesn't bother me too much! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

The last hurrah before college starts again: Ballyporeen, Shanrahan, the Vee, Cahir and home. 80 km in all.

Was gorgeous weather for it, so warm and hazy, and at long last a tail-wind on the Cahir road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I came down there for the first time last Tuesday. It's a pretty good descent alright but I met two scobies loitering in the middle of the road on one of the bends. They made no effort to make themselves scarce. Buttock clenching moment! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭DUBintheSTICKS

Today I cycled up Mt Leinster to Nine Stones from Bunclody side, it's exactly a year to the day that I first cycled it.

First time involved a few stoppages due to fitness levels and resulted in 1:27:39 leaving me in 232 place of 233 on strava.

Today's effort I did it in 51:19, had set goal of under 50 mins so little disappointed with that but still an improvement of 36 mins isn't too bad. Moves me up to 180/233 on strava

Also they have installed new cow gates on either side, bit bumpier than the old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

62.5km ph for me on corbally descent and still holding back little as was little moist, lovely road lovely climb if little akward to get to from the city

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Up there yesterday and there was gravel over the sticky tarmac, so not quite 100% but fine for cycling at the same time. Looks like they might extend past the pub junction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got cleats realigned on Wednesday evening after cycling for weeks with very sore right knee (gets sore 45 minutes - 1 hour into a spin)
    Was also told how to pedal properly!! Basically my heels were raised far too much, toes pointing downwards too much.

Anyway, did 32km (30.6 km/hr, average cadence 90)
    yesterday evening with new technique. Knee still f***ed!! Getting to the point where I might need time off the bike :eek:

Heard about this pernaton gel that might help me. Going to try that first and keep spins to no more than an hour for a few weeks and see how I go. I really don't want a month or more off the bike......

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Have you got a proper bike fit? I recently forked out for the retul fit and despite being quite sceptical at first because they actually did so little to the bike, I have to say it's made a huge difference to me.

rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Red Belly wrote: »
    Have you got a proper bike fit? I recently forked out for the retul fit and despite being quite sceptical at first because they actually did so little to the bike, I have to say it's made a huge difference to me.

rb

Two bke fits.
    First one was fine until I had to get new shoes. Cleat position was never right on new shoes. Knee pain came and went and was manageable but over the last 6 weeks it been happening on every ride and much more painful.

No changes made to bike on second fit (different fitter too) but cleat position changed and told how to pedal properly!!!

I think I've cycled for too long with the sore knee and it needs to be let rest now....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

G1032 wrote: »
    Anyway, did 32km (30.6 km/hr, average cadence 90)
    yesterday evening with new technique. Knee still f***ed!! Getting to the point where I might need time off the bike :eek:

It will take a while for your body to adjust to the changes. Keep cycling but cut way back on the effort / distance. Will give you time to heal as well as keeping the muscles moving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement