Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Did a quick 20km around the Phoenix Park this morning to kick start the day. Beautiful Autumn morning out there.

The little brown terrors known as chestnuts are all over the roads just waiting to slide a wheel out from under you. I had a narrow escape coming down the Glen road, not quite sure how I stayed upright but the shot of adrenaline came in handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Bailed out of it this morning. Wanted to do at least 40-50km around Stocking Lane/Cruagh, ended up doing 28.5. Visibility up there is less than 5m in places I'd say. Still, I wanted to get out as I won't get a chance this weekend. Oh yeah, anyone know how accurate Strava's top speed figures are? Apparently I hit 88 km/h on the way home!

Moving time: 1.19:22
    Distance: 28.5km
    Elevation: 399m
    Average Speed: 21.5km/h
    Max Speed: 88.2km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Bailed out of it this morning. Wanted to do at least 40-50km around Stocking Lane/Cruagh, ended up doing 28.5. Visibility up there is less than 5m in places I'd say. Still, I wanted to get out as I won't get a chance this weekend. Oh yeah, anyone know how accurate Strava's top speed figures are? Apparently I hit 88 km/h on the way home!

Moving time: 1.19:22
    Distance: 28.5km
    Elevation: 399m
    Average Speed: 21.5km/h
    Max Speed: 88.2km/h

Its not strava as such but the device you're recording on. The strava app on the iphone is very generous with max and average speed I've found. The Garmin Edge series from 500 up are more reliable.

Well the time, disatance and average speed (which I just worked out with good old fashioned maths) are all spot on. But I can see how something designed specifically for the purpose can be more accurate than a phone app.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Well the time, disatance and average speed (which I just worked out with good old fashioned maths) are all spot on. But I can see how something designed specifically for the purpose can be more accurate than a phone app.

88kph is a hell of a speed. Fastest section for me around there is the descent from Pine Forest road into Tibradden, but even then I've only managed 73kph. Picking up something like a cheap cateye will give you pretty good max speed stats. GPS can get funny around wooded areas.

• Advertisement

Just analyzed the whole ride, and unfortunately that 88kph is nonsense. Fastest i actually hit was about 60, coming down from the pine forest past the Merry Ploughboy. According to strava, I hit 88 coming around a corner on the way into my estate! Damn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I've hit 84km/h on that descent, think that's the max I can get without a skinsuit/very fast tailwind!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

227km at 30.3 km/h today- Dublin to galway with boardsie Ard Ri . My longest spin to date,one of my fastest too ,helped by a nice easterly wind (and by Ard Ri driving it in front all day). Now to eat everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

colm18 wrote: »
    227km at 30.3 km/h today- Dublin to galway with boardsie Ard Ri . My longest spin to date,one of my fastest too ,helped by a nice easterly wind. Now to eat everything.

nice spin Colm! What route did you take? Presumably you'll be drinking everything as well :D

nice spin Colm! What route did you take? Presumably you'll be drinking everything as well :D

Cheers - I'll put up the strava later.too tired/lazy to do it now :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

227km at 30.3 km/h today- Dublin to galway with boardsie Ard Ri . My longest spin to date,one of my fastest too ,helped by a nice easterly wind. Now to eat everything.
    Anchorman - I Hate You, But I Respect You: http://youtu.be/kmTK_eSOCN4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

227km at 30.3 km/h today- Dublin to galway with boardsie Ard Ri . My longest spin to date,one of my fastest too ,helped by a nice easterly wind (and by Ard Ri driving it in front all day). Now to eat everything.

Fair play Colm. I can't wait until I'm strong enough to take on a ride like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ArdRi71

Great spin Colm and a great team effort! You pretty much dragged me all the way into Galway :-)

Killarney next??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

G1032 wrote: »
    Got cleats realigned on Wednesday evening after cycling for weeks with very sore right knee (gets sore 45 minutes - 1 hour into a spin)
    Was also told how to pedal properly!! Basically my heels were raised far too much, toes pointing downwards too much.

Anyway, did 32km (30.6 km/hr, average cadence 90)
    yesterday evening with new technique. Knee still f***ed!! Getting to the point where I might need time off the bike :eek:

Heard about this pernaton gel that might help me. Going to try that first and keep spins to no more than an hour for a few weeks and see how I go. I really don't want a month or more off the bike......

Go and get yourself a pair of Specialized insoles. Should be great help. Get right ones tho. Cycle ways in Dublin does them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Mrs Rollingscone passed three minor landmarks in the short 4k we covered this morning.

Her first functional cycle. Her first time using the wifenbike on the GC cycle track and her first time being carelessly overtaken by taxis when she made a 500m journey on the open road.

The road calipers have been a real plus as she's taken to feathering the brakes to create extra reaction time, which came in particularly handy at the taper in the track nesr the barge which had once caused her to slow motion panic crash, and of course at idiot junction (lesson st bridge).

At Mount st bridge we swung a right onto the open road and after I took up a wingman spot to force cars to go wider around her she called me to go ahead so I obliged although there was a parked bus we'd still have to get around. The two taxis that had been pushed out to the median of the otherwise empty road by my position immediately and for no discernible reason pulled left and nearly cut Mrs RS off/forced her into the back of the bus. Luckily for them and their dependent families Mrs RS instinctively cut into the centre lane and the empty taxis were forced to endure a humiliating and financially damaging four second delay in getting to the taxi rank around the corner.

Mrs RS cruised through the final corner and along the final stretch like a pro...and then stopped like a drunk toddler. But we all do sometimes. ..or I do and hope it's not just me...

She's still a bit anxious at junctions and walks across with the bike when she has had to stop at lights, but apart from a few minor bad habits she's picked up from learning on a bike that was too small for her it's basically reached the point where all she needs to become a functional commuter is practice and confidence.

She demured to cycle back after so I took the practical reminder of the extent of our height difference (I cycled the wifenbike home without adjusting the seatpost and bars) and just at the gate of our building got a chunk of glass right through the centre of the front tyre...I wonder if my lady love will feel like learning how to patch/change a tube?

Edit: and she passed her theory test like a boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Headed out the Cruagh road this afternoon, up Sally Gap and down to Larragh. The last of the Gap routes ticked off the list now! Went over the Wicklow Gap then and turned right at Hollywood towards Blessington into a bloody annoying headwind. Was praying for the Embankment by the time I hit it, nice to see two bits of it had been resurfaced.

100 km
    27.1 average
    1393 climbed

Bloody shagged.

http://www.strava.com/activities/197026873

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Got my first ever KOM in Howth today, looking at some of the names that have done the segment, Im absolutely delighted. Im a shade under 90kg at the moment which is way too heavy (in my opinion) and have struggled with hills since I started cycling, nice to see Im making some progress :)

http://www.strava.com/segments/7115312?filter=overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

After collecting it from Think Bike in Rathmines I took the bike on a 45km spin to test the new parts. General route was from Rathmines - Knocklyon - Ballinteer - Goatstown - Clonskeagh - Ranelagh - west direction down the canal to Crumlin - Kimmage - Terenure - past Bushy Park - right turn past St Enda's Park - Taylor's Lane - Knocklyon.

Aiming to double that distance tomorrow if the weather conditions are as promised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

60k and 591m climbing at 25kph for me today. Struggled throughout don't know why. Was heading for a 90k to Laragh via Sally Gap, but knocked that on the head soon after climbing to Merry Ploughboy (didn't feel good), headed down to Marley Park, Blackglen, Enniskerry, Bray, Killiney and home via the coast.
    Try again tomorrow.

http://www.strava.com/activities/197056033/overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Zyzz wrote: »
    Got my first ever KOM in Howth today, looking at some of the names that have done the segment, Im absolutely delighted. Im a shade under 90kg at the moment which is way too heavy (in my opinion) and have struggled with hills since I started cycling, nice to see Im making some progress :)

http://www.strava.com/segments/7115312?filter=overall

Struggled!
    If you want to see proper struggling see my time yesterday. A mere 2:40min behind you. I almost puked.

Great time. We'll done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Struggled!
    If you want to see proper struggling see my time yesterday. A mere 2:40min behind you. I almost puked.

Great time. We'll done
    There's something strange about that segment. Although its on the main road up to the summit which I've done loads of times, according to Strava, I've only done that segment twice. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Struggled!

Great time. We'll done
    @needmoregears
    I acknowledged your struggling with kudos yesterday that was a lot of climbing you did fair play!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ow - my best on that segment is 6:47. Only two tries at it though.

Seeing as we're all talking about Howth, anybody got and hints as to the best way to get there from the southside without getting stuck in traffic. So far I'm thinking Rathfarnham out to Blackrock and stick to the coast up towards Ringsend. Any hints on the best way to get from there over the Liffey and onto Clontarf Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Seeing as we're all talking about Howth, anybody got and hints as to the best way to get there from the southside without getting stuck in traffic. So far I'm thinking Rathfarnham out to Blackrock and stick to the coast up towards Ringsend. Any hints on the best way to get from there over the Liffey and onto Clontarf Road?

Over the east link and up through east point business park is how I've done it before.

Cool, thanks

Hey simon ,here's our route- with one or two wrong turns :-P http://www.strava.com/activities/196905129

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Restless newborn and early feeds so following this I figured it'd be a great idea to go for an early spin. Don't think I've ever been as tired on the bike before! 50+km from Swords up to Garristown, across to Ashbourne and back. Stopped for a drink in Garristown and forgot to start my Garmin again so lost about 10km.... grrrrr. I'd have a nap now only my firstborn needs feeding :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

A chilly morning, 5 degC and foggy when I set out. I think the cold had an effect as I struggled around a mostly flat 38k @18km/h on the MTB, albeit with a 2km 7% climb above Newcastle village. Hadn't even warmed up for the fairly flat 10km run home, really felt like cycling through glue.

Possibly not helped by realising 5km into the ride that I had forgotten my helmet, I'd been more concerned with getting my warm gear on. Never felt my toes so cold either, despite cycling through snowy Scottish winters in the past. Must be age catching up on me!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

First time up the Glendine today, almost 2km at 10%+, when we hit the 17% bit it got interesting, sit back and the front wheel wanted to come up, lean forward and the back wheel wanted to spin, just had to try and be in two places at once...

The drop down the Offaly side was interesting too, to call the road a farm track would be hard on farm tracks, probably came down slower than we went up the Laois side.

Fantastic day to be in the mountains, always a great pleasure to get up the Blooms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement