Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Managed just about 90km through today. Knocklyon - Sally Gap - Clonskeagh - through City Centre - Castleknock - Dundrum - back to Knocklyon. Chuffed but exhausted - bike really isn't meant for these distances.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Really nice cycle up from south Wexford again today. Met a vet who's a vet (figure that out) in Clonegal on his return trip from Mt Leinster. Major kudos to a lad who's turning 70 later this year still tearing up the roads and hills, and also nice to know you can keep cycling pretty much forever and then some. Great old natter until we parted company in Shillelagh. Manged 172k myself, 8hr30 door to door, computer saya 23kph avg. Finished it going up Glenmacnass to the gap as I reckon I've become allergic to Enniskerry.

Flipped the stem last week to point downwards in the hope of being a bit more aero and ended up with a sore ass and a case of numbknob today for my efforts. Don't know whether to persist or flip back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

There's something strange about that segment. Although its on the main road up to the summit which I've done loads of times, according to Strava, I've only done that segment twice. :confused:

Aye it's a bugged segment, it doesn't fire on most ascents of Howth Village, I think it's due to the start point being on Nashville Road not Thormanby road, due to bad gps data from whoever created it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Struggled!
    If you want to see proper struggling see my time yesterday. A mere 2:40min behind you. I almost puked.

Great time. We'll done

Thanks, absolutely delighted with it! :) By all means if you want to come climbing with me we can suffer and puke together! :pac:
    Seeing as we're all talking about Howth, anybody got and hints as to the best way to get there from the southside without getting stuck in traffic. So far I'm thinking Rathfarnham out to Blackrock and stick to the coast up towards Ringsend. Any hints on the best way to get from there over the Liffey and onto Clontarf Road?

Go through town or head over to the east link and then take the cycle path all the way over to Howth! :)
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye it's a bugged segment, it doesn't fire on most ascents of Howth Village, I think it's due to the start point being on Nashville Road not Thormanby road, due to bad gps data from whoever created it.

I'll remake the segment with it a little past Nashville road and see if that makes any change. If I don't still have the KOM it may or may not disappear :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Up Sally Gap from two directions. Set a great pace the first time over. The second time over got a puncture and lost all rhythm. Totally blew up but got it going again for the last 30 odd kilometers.

Saw two/three Audi R8s going up towards Sally Gap. Madness. That car has about 10mm clearance and the road up there isnt the best! Nice car. If I won the lotto thats what I'd be being (to drive any where but Sally Gap).

Great day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Swords to Donabate, Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan, the Naul, Garristown & back to Swords. 76km, same as last Monday. Northerly wind as I turned left in Rush was a curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Spin class combined with a bit of TRX for good measure this morning. Just as well I had no breakfast before hand! Uurrgghh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just back from a 30k spin.Only getting back into cycling.Found a mobile phone on the roadside,it rang and I found that the person who lost it only lives up the road from me despite it being dropped 10k away.

Just took 21k spin from Knocklyon - City Centre - back after college today to relax a bit. Amazing how much even the most basic cycles like that can clear the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Garzard wrote: »
    Amazing how much even the most basic cycles like that can clear the head.

100% agree, I'm feeling so much better since I got back on the bike.

I only managed 27Km today before breaking a spoke. First failure on the bike since 2010, so I can't complain :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Nice 40k spinning around the park this evening. Getting dark early now so have to enjoy the last bit of brightness in the park before i'm chucked back onto roads for my mid week spins , or worse the shed on the trainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

After being kept from getting out over the last week and weekend by a run of bad sleep and trouble with our apartment and sure enough this mornings plans were scuppered by another visit from the insomnia monster.

Got home from work, ate a banana and a pear then took a 20 minute powernap before heading out for a short spin to the Park.

My first time on the Sciroccos and Carbon Fork...it was so smooth as to actually be disconcerting, quick nip up to the park, quick stop inside when I realised I had my knee warmers on backwards and a lash around the perimeter before heading home with an eye full of flies and a bladder fit to burst.

Here's hoping it broke the cycle and I'll actually sleep tonight/be up early for another spin. Cannot wait to take the fully formed Tifosi for a proper spin next weekend.

http://www.strava.com/activities/198119431

17.7km
    44:45
    78m

Speed 23.8km/h 40.3km/h
    Calories 432
    Elapsed Time 49:26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

A lovely evening for a Quick Spin to Enniskerry.

Really enjoyable 42.7km at 26.5kph despite the heavy traffic, legs felt I could have done it twice (only I was under orders)

http://www.strava.com/activities/198072139/overview

fiacha wrote: »

+1. Been cycling for just over 2 years now, and while it can get extremely physically straining at times, I've never looked back. Still have a long way to go before I'm on par with many others on this forum in regards to endurance, equipment and experience, all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

After being kept from getting out over the last week and weekend by a run of bad sleep and trouble with our apartment and sure enough this mornings plans were scuppered by another visit from the insomnia monster.

Got home from work, ate a banana and a pear then took a 20 minute powernap before heading out for a short spin to the Park.

My first time on the Sciroccos and Carbon Fork...it was so smooth as to actually be disconcerting, quick nip up to the park, quick stop inside when I realised I had my knee warmers on backwards and a lash around the perimeter before heading home with an eye full of flies and a bladder fit to burst.

Here's hoping it broke the cycle and I'll actually sleep tonight/be up early for another spin. Cannot wait to take the fully formed Tifosi for a proper spin next weekend.

http://www.strava.com/activities/198119431

17.7km
    44:45
    78m

Speed 23.8km/h 40.3km/h
    Calories 432
    Elapsed Time 49:26

Something similar without the pear or powernap.
    Evenings close in now very quickly. Still haven't invested in
    a good front light. Won't get past this week without one I think.
    First evening I found it cold on bike also.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/198091902

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Getting back in to things after a half year doing nothing. 32k last night. Lovely night for a spin. trying to do a couple of 30-40s during the week and 50-70 at the weekend. Feeling a lot better since getting back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Regent's Park laps with my OH last night - feeling absolutely great after taking a rest day on Sunday (which was enforced by one too many London Prides on Saturday night) and was able to hold my highest average speed ever. 27km @ 28.0km/h average (yes, I'm slow), which bodes well for the sprint triathlon I have this weekend to end my season.

Heading to Mallorca on Monday for a week and hopefully we'll get some cycling done there too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

fiacha wrote: »

I only managed 27Km today before breaking a spoke. First failure on the bike since 2010, so I can't complain :D

This is probably a derailment of the thread - but I have never broken a spoke. I am 90kg so it is definitely not because I am light - what causes spokes to break? Is it that they break because they are under too much tension from people adjusting the wheel?

I am only asking so I know what to be careful of - or is it just good luck that a spoke has never gone on me? If one does go if I am up in the mountains or something - can I nurse the bike home or is it time to get off and call my wife to collect me? I know some people carry a spare spoke but I can't see myself doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Fian wrote: »
    This is probably a derailment of the thread - but I have never broken a spoke. I am 90kg so it is definitely not because I am light - what causes spokes to break? Is it that they break because they are under too much tension from people adjusting the wheel?

I am only asking so I know what to be careful of - or is it just good luck that a spoke has never gone on me? If one does go if I am up in the mountains or something - can I nurse the bike home or is it time to get off and call my wife to collect me? I know some people carry a spare spoke but I can't see myself doing that.

You can probably nurse yourself home.

The higher the spoke count on your wheel the less it should go out of true with one spoke gone. It may be ridable just about as is.

If not then you can adjust the tension of the neighbouring 4 to 6 spokes a little to compensate assuming you have a spoke tool with you. Making sure to loosen some slightly not just tighten lots as you could then pop another spoke.

You can move the brake pads further from the rim to handle a bit of wobble.
    If you can get your rim to where you can use the brake on that rim then you can cycle home slowly IMO. If you have to disconnect that brake then I wouldn't do it unless it was flat or uphill all the way home. I wouldn't do a down-hill with just one working brake personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Fian wrote: »

I take good care of the bike, and have only had to do minor tru-ing over the years. I am 137Kg riding Alex Race 32's. They are the bog standard wheels that came with the bike, and appear to be almost bombproof :D. The spoke broke at the rim while I was putting the power down coming out of a corner. I think it was just a combination of wear and the angle of the wheel at the time. The wheel was still tru, but I didn't want to risk it so I took it handy on the way home.

I took the mountain bike out for my morning spin and nearly lost a lung. I discovered that the front crud guard was acting like an airbrake !. I only managed a painful 20Km @22Km/Hr. The higher gearing on the MTB did let me beat some of my PR's on Strava though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I saw a guy flying along the cycleway this evening on a unicycle. Texting! (him, not me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I saw a guy flying along the cycleway this evening on a unicycle. Texting! (him, not me)

Hah! That reminds me that I saw a lad in Skerries the other week doing the same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Hah! That reminds me that I saw a lad in Skerries the other week doing the same thing!

maybe the circus is in town...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

2 Laps of the Park this breezy evening, first time I cycled this route since I was about 15 (long time ago).
    Some brave ladies still running and cycling even at dusk.
    30.8km at 26.5kph

http://www.strava.com/activities/198532551/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mellow Yellow 444

21.5 km commute on a 3 speed Brompton , 1 hr and 3 mins , yesterday morning, lovely day for it - was cyclist number 340 on the way past Bike Counter on canal near Harold's X bridge at 8 am, and clocked no. 1760 at same spot that evening on way to collect car in Dartry (btw I had my first number 1 at bike counter on N11 at UCD early hours of Sunday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Town to Featherbeds via Bothernabreena and then the descent back down through Glenasmole last night with a work colleague.

Great weather for it and a lovely quiet climb and descent.

My colleague would have done about 42km in total back to his house and I'd say that's the longest he's ever done on a bike - a fairly crappy hybrid bike at that. He was pretty tired at the end and his arse is sore today.

He went up Kilmashogue lane with me last week.

If I could only convince him to get a road bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I set yesterday off to do my short lap which around 35kms. I decided to try a new route back to home. Missed a turn, ended up getting lost, had to use my navigation to find a way. When I got home I spent moving 3.5 hrs and covered 76.5 kms. I came across terrible roads, even had to walk for 5 mins it was so bad.. To my surprise the @rse wasn't sore at all but the legs were perished. The previous longest distance was 52kms (been seriously on the bike since late July). I hope I'll be able to do 100kms soon without getting lost. :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ardcath stinks of slurry and there are swarms of flies on the road from garristown to ardcath. felt like i cycled into a hailstorm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Great few days on the Paris2Nice cycle. Ventoux yesterday morning in perfect conditions but with 110k to follow to get to Aix en Provence. From there to St. Maxime on the Med with some rain this morning but better weather, scenery and cycling later. A fairly easy coastal 100k tomorrow to the finish in Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Mr Titleist

Wexford to Rosslare and surroundings today and back on my new Mtb,, Trek 3500 disc... 40k covered in total...My first time doing this in 20 years, but loved it....Say I'm gonna be stiff in the morning :eek::eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement