Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

32k with 27kmph average and 250m climbing this evening out to Killiney Hill via the strand and Rock road with the father. I was feeling a little delicate after far too many Tuesday night pints :eek: but feel a lot better for it now!

http://www.strava.com/activities/198949250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

CX practice.

Ashtown > Kilcock via Royal Canal
    Kilcock > Sallins via "never-cycle-there-again" busy and narrow road
    Sallins > Portobello via Grand Canal, after dusk. Bit scary in places (abandoned houses... animals...)

Bone-shaking 77km @ 25kmh, 2/3 off-road. I'm knackered.

http://app.strava.com/activities/198989832

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Beater test ride from last night, a mere 5.9k but gosh golly did I spin a lot http://www.strava.com/activities/199008303

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

My birthday today so as a 'treat' left work early today to have a crack at Kilmashogue Lane for the first time. Knew it's reputation, short but horrible.

Spun out from the city centre and off I went. Made it as far as the last steep ramp, about 2-300 meters from the top, saw the gradient ahead and just gave up. Couldn't help myself, just seemed too tough :eek:

Ashamed of myself, I descended to the roundabout and against my better judgment up I went again. This time made it further up the last ramp, started to retch and had to stop about 20 meters from the top of the last ramp. Spent 5 mins at the side of the road trying not to vomit.

Toughest climb I've tried yet. Goal now is to make it all the way up.

Radial wrote: »
    My birthday today so as a 'treat' left work early today to have a crack at Kilmashogue Lane for the first time. Knew it's reputation, short but horrible.

Spun out from the city centre and off I went. Made it as far as the last steep ramp, about 2-300 meters from the top, saw the gradient ahead and just gave up. Couldn't help myself, just seemed too tough :eek:

Ashamed of myself, I descended to the roundabout and against my better judgment up I went again. This time made it further up the last ramp, started to retch and had to stop about 20 meters from the top of the last ramp. Spent 5 mins at the side of the road trying not to vomit.

Toughest climb I've tried yet. Goal now is to make it all the way up.

That's where you were tonight!

• Advertisement

Yep, happily accepting my cycling limitations, over a few beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Toughest climb I've tried yet. Goal now is to make it all the way up.
    I'd rank it as probably the second most difficult climb in Ireland - much more difficult that any of the long 20/30/40km climbs in the Alps and other foreign places. I was delighted the first time I made it without doing the walk of shame.

(In saying that, I haven't done Mount Leinster, Priest's Leap, Achill etc.).

I'd rank it as probably the second most difficult climb in Ireland - much more difficult that any of the long 20/30/40km climbs in the Alps and other foreign places. I was delighted the first time I made it without doing the walk of shame.

(In saying that, I haven't done Mount Leinster, Priest's Leap, Achill etc.).

Feeling the fear, just thinking about going back. So close to the city, so no excuses I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd rank it as probably the second most difficult climb in Ireland
    most difficult?

most difficult?
    The one and only Gap of Mamore! When you see the Ras lads struggling like this, what hope is there for mere mortals when it gets to 27%? My nose started bleeding when I got to the top for the first time. Donegal Co Council refer to resurfacing it as 'wallpapering'.

Poor quality footage here but it gives some indication of the gradient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Kilmashogue Lane, sure it doesn't lead anywhere. Why would you be wanting to go up there . . .

. . . hmmm . . . might have to have a look at that. Damn you.:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

50km done before breakfast. Been lazy so far this week so doing a catch up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Feeling the fear, just thinking about going back. So close to the city, so no excuses I'm afraid.

The really good thing about it is that it makes every other climb in a 100 km radius seem less unpleasant :)

Used to dislike Luggala? Well at least it's not Kilmashogue ...
    Find Kippure daunting? Could be worse, at least it's not Kilmashogue...

Or am I the only one who uses that to cheer myself up when tired and facing a climb? :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

quozl wrote: »
    The really good thing about it is that it makes every other climb in a 100 km radius seem less unpleasant :)

Used to dislike Luggala? Well at least it's not Kilmashogue ...
    Find Kippure daunting? Could be worse, at least it's not Kilmashogue...

Or am I the only one who uses that to cheer myself up when tired and facing a climb? :)

Doesn't work when you're climbing Kilmashoghgue...tbh I feckin' love Kilmashogue, must have climbed it 40 times or so :pac:

tbh I feckin' love Kilmashogue, must have climbed it 40 times or so

I must stop training with you, this may be contagious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

colm18 wrote: »
    Doesn't work when you're climbing Kilmashoghgue...tbh I feckin' love Kilmashogue, must have climbed it 40 times or so :pac:

Show off

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

godtabh wrote: »
    Show off

I still can't break into the top 50 though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed to pass the 6000 km mark for the year. I'm delirah :D

Makes up for having to delete my Gran Fondo spin that I did at the weekend. I may have done 132km but I couldn't hand on heart say it was one "spin" regardless of the circumstances of the "split"

Anyways...me..... 6000 km on a bike(s) this year....

D'Unbelievable!

Also came to the conclusion this morning, while writing in my head the advert to sell my Canyon, that I love my bike. It really is just a great bike. It's hard to get off it once you start rolling!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

54k around north county dublin earlier - was planning on doing much less as the weather looked poor, and i was stiff and sore from hacking up bits of floor earlier, but when i got out on the bike i felt too good to go home early.
    i had a polite exchange of views with a motorist about overtaking me around a blind bend, over a continuous white line too. after insisting it was not a blind bend or a continuous white line, he blamed the lorry in front of him who had tried a similar trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd planned to head out to Blessington this evening but as I approached the Embankment the rain started. I turned back East to drier weather (the rain clouds seemed to be hanging around the hills) and managed 42km around the South of Dublin. 26km/h for the spin which is not too bad considering the traffic.

Roll on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd planned to head out to Blessington this evening but as I approached the Embankment the rain started. I turned back East to drier weather (the rain clouds seemed to be hanging around the hills) and managed 42km around the South of Dublin. 26km/h for the spin which is not too bad considering the traffic.

Roll on Sunday.

Tempted...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057296512

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Kilmashogue Lane is about 2km from my front door. And I have the day off tomorrow....

Balls.

Kilmashogue Lane is about 2km from my front door. And I have the day off tomorrow....

Balls.
    Go for it! :D

Bit of a damp squib this morning. Woke up at 0600 added 15 minutes to my prep time by my stomach saying ''oh so you want a little bit of human happiness? Well happy this!'' 90s action movie style.

I got out the door at 0620 into a mild gusty morning, headed towards Edmonstown discovered the joys of bin lorries on narrow country roads. Got as far as Rockbrook school and decided that I didn't have time to climb Cruagh.

Fixed my cadence magnet so I at least got to experience the cadence display for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised to see that descending in a big gear I was still maintaining 90-100rpm and I can hit 150rpm without any bouncing on the saddle.

So that was cool. One thing I noticed was that I had to shift my weight a few times due to a sudden feeling of being about to topple...I don't know if that's down to the sciroccos and/rubino pros or what.

Got home at 0715 with the dismal realisation that I'd been waaaaaaaaaaaay too conservative.

16km :(
    Avg 23kph
    Avg 84rpm
    Max 44.4kph
    41.4kmh avg fastest km.
    Asc 133m
    Dsc 148

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

so did the old skool breakfast of a black coffee only and unsurprisingly cycled into work like a feckin loon...
    enjoyable though

decided that I didn't have time to climb Cruagh.

Yeah, yeah.

Windy this morning. It really saps you.

Did 45km at 30km/h average so to bad in the end but it was a struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Started out with great intentions, 4k away from the house I had to do a uturn to collect pump, sure as sh*t I would have punctured if I didn't go back. Didn't check Garmin for battery status and it keeled over about 20k in, went onto iPhone app to record the rest of it, towards the end it started to complain of low battery too. The only thing fully charged today was the cyclist! Anyway about 90k out to Howth for my weekly coffee. Went down to the lighthouse and took it all it. Took me a few seconds to realise where the humming noise was coming from - the wind through the red railings! Headwind on the way home meant I didn't get any respite. Glorious day out though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Had a lazy morning so didn't leave the house until 11am. Couple of loops around the Phoenix Park and then Porterstown - Lucan - Porterstown - Clonsilla and back into the Park for a another while to relax and take in the sights. 55km and a sore bum, but feeling chuffed.

The weather at the moment is a gift.

• Advertisement

Enjoyable spin today over the Sally and Wicklow Gaps. Tough climb over the Wicklow Gap, into a headwind. Came back to Dublin via the N81.

A clear day so the view from the Wicklow Gap was stunning. Just happened to meet a lad I knew who was out walking also admiring the view. A very pleasant chat in a smashing location.

http://www.strava.com/activities/199648836

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement