Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

Radial wrote: »
    Enjoyable spin today over the Sally and Wicklow Gaps. Tough climb over the Wicklow Gap, into a headwind. Came back to Dublin via the N81.

A clear day so the view from the Wicklow Gap was stunning. Just happened to meet a lad I knew who was out walking also admiring the view. A very pleasant chat in a smashing location.

http://www.strava.com/activities/199648836

I like that route. Might try that one tomorrow.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

Go for it.

Nice little ramp half way up the Wicklow Gap to test the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

daa staff charity cycle tomorrow morning. 3 options, 110km ; 60km ; & family spin. Doing the 110km & really looking forward to it. Best of luck to any Boardsies who might be doubling up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Great spin to Enniskerry this evening, wish this September weather could go on and on.
    Lots of goats looking very menacing through the Scalp, thought I was going to be ambushed.
    Surprisingly there weren't too many cyclists about.
    There is nothing better than a good cycle after a frustrating day in work.

http://www.strava.com/activities/199729427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

PrismES wrote: »
    Great spin to Enniskerry this evening, wish this September weather could go on and on.
    There is nothing better than a good cycle after a frustrating day in work.

It really was one of the nicest evenings-also a long tough day at work but the ride home was one of the most enjoyable all year-great start to the weekend...390km for the week so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ronoc wrote: »
    I like that route. Might try that one tomorrow.:pac:
    Heading westbound up the Wicklow Gap into a headwind is soul destroying (and there's a westerly forecast tomorrow).

But don't let me put you off it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Heading westbound up the Wicklow Gap into a headwind is soul destroying (and there's a westerly forecast tomorrow).

Descending that way with 60-80kmh sidewind gusts is more. Been there, survived... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Got out today for 44k went out and took it easy really, stopping to take some pic's/ fill the water bottle etc. Nice day to be out was kinda cool and calm enough http://www.strava.com/activities/200008565

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

100k spin from Skryne this morning.
    Nice route and a fantastic day for it, sun, blue skies and a gentle breeze...perfect!
    Bit of confusion at the food stop at Tara, where we met up with two other spins from Maynooth and Blanch.
    Some of them got mixed in with our spin and misdirected by the marshalls, taking them well off course.

323459.png

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

furiousox wrote: »

I was cycling from slane side over to donore and saw a load of cyclist with DAA sponsored jerseys, were they part of this spin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Quick spin up to the Sallygap and down by Kilbride this afternoon. Went back up by the Military range, which is my new favourite local climb and descent. Got back to see a max speed on my Cateye of 105kph. Passed a few other cyclists coming towards Seefin while I was coming down and probably got an extra ping there, as mid 50s would seem right for that section. Pity, because I flew down the gap earlier and would like to know how fast I was going. Guess I'll just have to do it all over again tomorrow.

smacl wrote: »
    Got back to see a max speed on my Cateye of 105kph.

:eek::eek::eek:You've got great confidence in your frame and rubber at that clip!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

furiousox wrote: »
    Nice route and a fantastic day for it, sun, blue skies and a gentle breeze...perfect!
    Bit of confusion at the food stop at Tara, where we met up with two other spins from Maynooth and Blanch.
    Some of them got mixed in with our spin and misdirected by the marshalls, taking them well off course.

323459.png

Yep , I was on the maynooth one , did get a tad confusing for some.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ckeego wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:You've got great confidence in your frame and rubber at that clip!!

Bum reading, I'd say I was touching 70kph coming off the gap, but only mid 50s when I got that reading. Possibly caused by passing another cyclist with same wireless.

Set out to do a gran fondo today. Previous max was 75km. Enniskerry to Laragh, over the wicklow gap and back by Tallaght. By Enniskerry I knew it was going to be a slog all way. Just didn't seem to have the legs today. Made it over the wicklow gap crawling in the granny gear all the way. Went home for lunch and did a lap of the Phoenix park to make up the total. 132km. Shattered..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Just under 40km today from Knocklyon - City Centre - Three Rock at an average speed of 27km/h. Nice evening - a few jersey shouts included but had several close calls with insects on the descent from Three Rock. My own fault for not taking shades.

smacl wrote: »
    Bum reading, I'd say I was touching 70kph coming off the gap, but only mid 50s when I got that reading. Possibly caused by passing another cyclist with same wireless.

Trees for some reason tend to throw things askew for some reason..The reason I talk about trust is that one of the fastest descents I attempted, I touched the brakes at times on the Red Lane descent on a cheap set of wheels and they overheated and blew the tyre off the rim

ronoc wrote: »
    Set out to do a gran fondo today. Previous max was 75km. Enniskerry to Laragh, over the wicklow gap and back by Tallaght. By Enniskerry I knew it was going to be a slog all way. Just didn't seem to have the legs today. Made it over the wicklow gap crawling in the granny gear all the way. Went home for lunch and did a lap of the Phoenix park to make up the total. 132km. Shattered..

You don't do things by half, eh? Maith thú..

We had an ex classmate on the Morgan Sparrow Memorial last weekend whose first century it was too...

oconnpad wrote:
    I was cycling from slane side over to donore and saw a load of cyclist with DAA sponsored jerseys, were they part of this spin?

No, today was the annual daa charity cycle, smashing day for it too. Ended up doing about 120km, legs tired tonight. Apparently some sauvignon blanc is supposed to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

rushfan wrote: »
    Apparently some sauvignon blanc is supposed to help.

Only when the bottle is consumed in pairs :P

• Advertisement

As we speak, it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did just over an hour on the bike tonight, only back from a chest infection so as expected heart rate range is very tight but didn't blow out a lung and just a touch under 30kmh on rolly roads

http://app.strava.com/activities/200208776

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did and easy 100km (as it was very flat!)

Averaged about 30km/h.

It was a grand day for it, Had to head to Kilcokc to look at a site for work. Then another one in Maynooth. Two birds one stone! Might even be able to claim the 100km in expenses from work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

41km out around north county dublin this morning. bit of an unexpected headwind heading south from naul through ballyboughal. at least fourknocks is getting easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Went North for a change as my head was sore from beer and my legs were feeling heavy after a big one in the mountains yesterday... Turned out to be a proper roll around NCD for my first time ever, well beyond Howth anyway, took in Portmarnock, Malahide, Swords, over to Ashbourne and down to Finglas where I encountered possibly some of the worst cycle track I've ever experienced... wishing i'd avoided this bit and gone all the way around via lucan etc... next time... got lost a few times, the signage between Swords and Ashbourne is hilarious 16km, 8kms, 10kms, 12kms, 4kms... otherwise all very handy, dead flat and FAST, some ****ty surfaces and a decent amount of stop starting thru towns, still can't beat the mountains but a nice change of scenery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Did the Tour of South Meath today and decided to cycle to and from it to get my Grand Fondo distance in. I joined the 28kmh group. Absolutely flew until the food stop and for about 15 k after it but got a bastard of a cramp and had to bale out of the group and lie pitifully on the side of the road for a few minutes.
    It's no joke when you get a cramp in the hamstring and quad at the same time:( . I hadn't a clue which way to pull so I just lay there whimpering in a ditch until it passed. That left me soloing it for the last 20 odd k, everytime I got up to 28-30 kmh the leg started going again so it was a balancing act to get home but I couldn't face the embarrassment of being caught by the 25 kph group so I pushed on and got there. Lovely feed afterwards from the CRC lads and then cycled the last few k home. Great spin, but next year I'll drive over and back ;)
    Biggest spin to date- 131km in 4;46;20 @27.5kmh
    http://www.strava.com/activities/200560823

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Up to RTE Mast at Kippure, taking in Stocking Lane and Sally Gap - 56.5km - 1,077m

It's almost the first time since Rapha Rising in late June, since I've been up Stocking Lane, Sally Gap and Kippure. I've been doing intervals on Three Rock Hill, as it's closer, since I moved house. It's gotten easier for me to climb, as I've lost weight and gained strength and fitness, as it testament to the 19 PR's I set today, despite spending yesterday in the bin, from drinking Friday night/Saturday morning.

http://www.strava.com/activities/200602114

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

52Km at 25.7kph for me today, Kimmage to Howth, over the summit( Sutton side) and home.
    First time on this route, enjoyable apart from all the traffic lights from Irishtown to home.

http://www.strava.com/activities/200677490

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd a tough one today. From the off I felt less than capable of achieving the 100km I'd intended. A few beers watching the hurling replay plus a few more afterwards didn't help. I went to bed at 10:30pm last night and woke at 9am. I got on the road at 10am. I headed out the Tallaght Bypass and up the Embankment and felt like crap - not hungover but more like my body just didn't want to do the spin but the brain did.

I kept going using the 'mind over matter' approach. The humpy ups and downs of the road around the Blessington Lakes seemed to change things. I was feeling pretty OK by the time I reached Lacken and managed a PR up out of Ballyknockan. I had planned to do the Wicklow Gap and Glenmacnass but decided to play it safe and head for Hollywood and back to Dublin.

Well, it started to rain as I approached Hollywood so I took refuge in Daly's filling station and had a quick coffee. The rain showed no sign of stopping and the sky looked clearer to the North so I got back on the bike despite the rain. I was getting somewhat jealous of the guys on their motorbikes who planned to be back in Dublin in 'about half an hour' to watch the golf.

The rain eased as I approached Blessington so I went right to Threecastles and over some hill that has a beautiful view to the right over Manor Kilbride. I went down the Embankment back to Tallaght and did a small detour through Walkinstown and the canal to ensure my target of 100km.

101km. 810m. 25km/h.

Today I proved to myself that mind over matter works. Happy out. :)

EDIT: Rule number 6 helped me to apply rule number 5 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

From house, headed for kilmuckridge, on to ballygarret, Killenagh, ballycanew and on to Gorey. Headed out old road to Arklow, took right turn for rock of Arklow, coast road to Tara hill, on to courtown. Coast road heading for Ballygarret, right turn to Killenagh and last 4 km home. 74 km all in at 24kmh . Lovely day to boot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement