Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

From house, headed for kilmuckridge, on to ballygarret, Killenagh, ballycanew and on to Gorey. Headed out old road to Arklow, took right turn for rock of Arklow, coast road to Tara hill, on to courtown. Coast road heading for Ballygarret, right turn to Killenagh and last 4 km home. 74 km all in at 24kmh . Lovely day to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Decided it was time to tackle this Cruagh Road everyone speaks of.

Shankill-Stepaside-Marley Park-Cruagh-Glencree-Enniskerry and home. Including a brief pause for a wrong turn up Mutton Lane...
    46k in 1:59, av 23kph, max 63.2kph and 763m climbed.

Fairly tastey alright but nothing a mere mortal like me should be afraid of.
    So, all proud of myself, I rolled into the driveway, hit a divot in the grass and catapulted myself over the bars. Bruised knuckles and knees and a big purple vein on my inner thigh; first time I've come off a bike in about 30 years and I do it outside my own front door - plonker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beautiful morning out there. Got in a nice brisk 103km ride with a mixture of urban and rural terrain.

http://app.strava.com/activities/200993934

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Fratres Cruciferi 211k Audax yesterday in 8hrs.29m. ride time @24.8kph
    First 200k probably since the Raid Pyrenean. Two years ago. Flattish route but draining. Went around mostly with The Tax Man and Paul Newman.

Didn't have my dinner last night, too tired and then.......forgot to take my salad for lunch today!!!! 3 cups in coffee so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Planet X wrote: »
    First 200k probably since the Raid Pyrenean. Two years ago. Flattish route but draining. Went around mostly with The Tax Man and Paul Newman.

Didn't have my dinner last night, too tired and then.......forgot to take my salad for lunch today!!!! 3 cups if coffee so far.

Nothing wrong with your form yesterday. That was my worst 200 this year.:(
    Thanks for the tow and the offer of a lift home. Made it slowly across the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Didn't have my dinner last night, too tired and then.......forgot to take my salad for lunch today!!!! 3 cups in coffee so far.

It wasn't any of you guys I encountered on the Clonee roundabout was it?

...........at the motorbike rally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

75kms today up as far as the Russian border in Northern Poland. Have cycled very little of late. A lovely day here. The first 25kms were great. Averaged over 30kph. The next 10 or so to the border were cross windy. Limped home from 55kms. 29.8kph average. There is life in the legs yet.

http://www.strava.com/activities/201037643

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I briefly travelled behind a bunch of guys in Audax Ireland jerseys. I nearly followed them the wrong way off the roundabout!

I only encountered a Lambretta gang. Does that count?

Wasn't you then........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭markkelly2

http://www.strava.com/activities/201148567

Usual evening spin but this time had my new light to guide me home.
    Evenings dark very quick now. Wouldn't have got another week in without
    a light. Feel I'm getting fitter even if it's only short spins I'm getting in.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

First after dark cycle this evening, Kimmage, N81 to Saggart, Rathcoole, Newcastle, Grange Castle to Lucan, Long Coffee stop and home via Tallaght.
    Safe route (apart from the Saggart to Grange Castle bit) for night cycle, have to add this to the route list.
    Smashing evening for it, can't believe it is so mild.
    50km at 26.2kph

http://www.strava.com/activities/201174761

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

PrismES wrote: »
    First after dark cycle this evening, Kimmage, N81 to Saggart, Rathcoole, Newcastle, Grange Castle to Lucan, Long Coffee stop and home via Tallaght.
    Safe route (apart from the Saggart to Grange Castle bit) for night cycle, have to add this to the route list.
    Smashing evening for it, can't believe it is so mild.
    50km at 26.2kph

http://www.strava.com/activities/201174761

Looks like a good winter route. Are there street lights on the whole spin?

crosstownk wrote: »
    Looks like a good winter route. Are there street lights on the whole spin?
    For the most part except from N81 to Saggart, then from Rathcoole to Newcastle (partial), Newcastle to Grangecastle is unlit. After that street light all the way with choice of cycle path or Bus Lane (we took the Bus Lane) good road surface also. Its a little bit flat, but good way to get some km's in safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Participated in my first criterium last night. Much more fun than I thought it would be. Started to get tired on lap 6 of 8 but put the boot down knowing i was being caught up by friends :D

Finished just outside the top 50% in the B Category crit, so am very happy with myself.

http://www.strava.com/activities/201124413

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A very busy weekend meant no spin on the bike so took it to work yesterday evening.Only a few km but meeting a burst bag of soiled nappies as I came around a bend on a back road was interesting,took a nice bit of swerving to avoid them.

Cycled home when most sane people were tucked up in bed,the end of September & I was still in short sleeves at nearly 1am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

a short intense mash today, 35k at 32.7kph over flat course. Sore now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Almost hit by a taxi on the way home, closest I've ever been to getting knocked down. Gave me a good fright and the reason I got the helmet cam for the evening traffic. Cup of tea to calm the nerves now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed to knock out 112 odd kms in the last two days via commuting, to drag my sorry ass over the Strava 750 mts.

Had a chat with a fellow commuter I see once in awhile today too, who I know via Velo Viewer is KOM on a segment I have at. I'll have to explain that to him next time we meet.

Got a new niece today too.

Not a bad day, in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The_Sub wrote: »
    Almost hit by a taxi on the way home, closest I've ever been to getting knocked down. Gave me a good fright and the reason I got the helmet cam for the evening traffic. Cup of tea to calm the nerves now.

Was the camera running?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Didn't have much time today so decided to tackle Kilmashogue for the first time in a long time. Nearly f$%&Ing died and shocked how out of shape I've become over the last year. Had to unclip and put the feet down twice on the way up, and felt totally shattered at the top. Vague plans of a couple of repeats were completely abandoned, and really need to re-think weight and fitness levels. On the plus side, Cruagh will feel like a speed bump again for awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

smacl wrote: »
    really need to re-think weight and fitness levels.

It might be purely weight and not fitness. You could be really fit and struggle to get up that climb if you're carrying extra weight.

Doesn't help much but hey, look on the bright side, you might still be pretty fit. You do a lot of long distance cycles, hard to believe that you aren't!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

quozl wrote: »
    It might be purely weight and not fitness. You could be really fit and struggle to get up that climb if you're carrying extra weight.

Doesn't help much but hey, look on the bright side, you might still be pretty fit. You do a lot of long distance cycles, hard to believe that you aren't!

Cheers. I've been wimping out of the steeper ramps a bit this year and have also put on a few pounds. I need to include a large can of HTFU next time I'm ordering stuff up.

I'd a day off work today so I took off and did 53km to Brittas and out by the firing range. My legs were quite tired today for some reason and just refused to do anything.

53km @ 24.6km/h (damn legs) 460m.

Great weather today despite it being a small bit breezy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

RainyDay wrote: »
    Was the camera running?

yes caught the whole thing plus my verbal response...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

First time posting here, I've always been meaning to but never got around to it!

Yesterday I cycled from my estate to Phoenix Park (just short of 2k), then after work I went to Rialto (about 6k), then onto UCD through Ranelagh (about 8k), then all the way back to the house in Ashtown (12k). Approx 28km in total in the one day. As I'm normally just a commuter and would cycle 10k maximum, I was quite proud of myself! :pac:

Grand cycle overall except for one asshole driver who tried to undertake in the middle of Ranelagh village - without looking - and pushed me up against the kerb and nearly knocked me off the bike. Drove off as if he did nothing wrong. Another cyclist was coming up behind and asked if I was okay. To say I was angry would be an understatement.

Cycled another 20k today as I had to go to Baggot street. Cycling in the heart of the city for the first time went a lot better than expected, even at rush hour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,644 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Day 5 of cycling to work. ( spent the last nine tears in a company van, didn't cyckecibce during that time )

I've about a 35km round trip from Killiney to ballsbridge. Came back the coast road which meant u had to tackle killiney hill. Was impressed that I made IT up. Lots of fun coming down.

Going to try and do a long spin at the weekend maybe up to round wood.

I've been wearing regular shorts, after walking like john Wayne every day in the work for the past 5 days I ordered some cycling shorts from decathlon ( and some spare tubes and water cage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ted1 wrote: »
    Day 5 of cycling to work. ( spent the last nine tears in a company van, didn't cyckecibce during that time )

I've about a 35km round trip from Killiney to ballsbridge. Came back the coast road which meant u had to tackle killiney hill. Was impressed that I made IT up. Lots of fun coming down.

Going to try and do a long spin at the weekend maybe up to round wood.

I've been wearing regular shorts, after walking like john Wayne every day in the work for the past 5 days I ordered some cycling shorts from decathlon ( and some spare tubes and water cage)

Well done :)

I'd advise chopping your credit card up now, before you get the "bug"

I took the handy route into work this morning as I left late and for some reason* was exhausted on the way home. The first 7/8 kms home were quite tough :/ I think my caffeine drink stuff (probably cancerous according to my missus) got me home. 11.6 in and 17.3 home.

I should probably drive into work tomorrow.

But...

...Bleedin' Strava and it's bleedin 1969 Challenge :( I'll be in a heap :D

*Staying up late watching sh1te like The Strain and getting up and 5am.

I think my caffeine drink stuff (probably cancerous according to my missus) got me home.

From the same woman that wanted to apply a poultice to your swollen finger....?

Stick to the caffeine drink stuff :D

• Advertisement

Another after dark spin on one of my usual routes, darkness certainly heightens your awareness.
    1st of October and the average temp on the spin has dropped 4degrees, my big toe was numb when I got home. Time to invest in some winter gear.
    My missus was late for her "Mammy's Camogie" game, I forgot the time, it will probably be all picture no sound when she gets home.
    30.9km at 27.4kph
    http://www.strava.com/activities/202011013

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement