Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

It was a beautiful day for a spin around Howth. The headwind on the way back was the only bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Slow and steady, didn't win the race mind!

Bit breezy, bit nippy, but glorious sunshine! Found the Rapha hat I had misplaced from the group buy eons ago, and it kept my earphones in, and my head and ears toasty warm. 60km Swords -> Blanch -> Dunboyne -> Rathoath -> Swords

http://www.strava.com/activities/203082943

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I was training with my friend in Abbeyknockmoy in Galway.

62.8km - 2:52:12 - 574m

http://www.strava.com/activities/203129027/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was out this morning in my 3/4 lengths. It was cold!

godtabh wrote: »
    Was out this morning in my 3/4 lengths. It was cold!

I was out this afternoon, bib tights, hat, long sleeve merino wool base layer, long sleeved winter jersey, gilet, and I wasn't overdressed, cold wind blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

After 6 months looking for an opportunity finally got to tackle Mount Leinster today. To the mast this time.

A brutal climb, nothing else I've done here compares, including Mamore, Priests Leap. The climb from Bunclody to Nine Stones at foot of private road is lovely.

Tired now, 240km all told, including 130km or so before tackling that beast.

Had yhe delightful company of @Seweryn for the day. I know nothing about bikes in comparison! Or how to climb!

An apple, pear, 100g of peanuts and 100g of hazel nuts. The fridge will be raided soon.

A box ticked never again (this year anyhow)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Inquitus wrote: »
    I was out this afternoon, bib tights, hat, long sleeve merino wool base layer, long sleeved winter jersey, gilet, and I wasn't overdressed, cold wind blowing.

yoikes! I wore a winter jersey knee warmers a casquette and a lightweight gilet at 0600 yesterday and I was boiling at times.

What changed overnight?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the temperature!

yoikes! I wore a winter jersey knee warmers a casquette and a lightweight gilet at 0600 yesterday and I was boiling at times.

What changed overnight?

It this low intensity winter training malarky, if one's not properly dressed, one freezes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

41K in the Killarney adventure 60K race. The climb through the black valley to Molls Gap was just savage but the views and descent made it worth it. The run up Torq was just torture though. Delighted I did it though and will do it again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Attacked twice tonight by the same mongrel of a dog my neighbour owns. Same ****er attacked a couple walking behind me too. Have had enough now, this isn't the first time he has had a go nor is it the only dog owned by these people that has attacked me.

Went to the local Garda station to make a complaint but nobody there. Will call in again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Attacked twice tonight by the same mongrel of a dog my neighbour owns. Same ****er attacked a couple walking behind me too. Have had enough now, this isn't the first time he has had a go nor is it the only dog owned by these people that has attacked me.

Went to the local Garda station to make a complaint but nobody there. Will call in again tomorrow.
    Try talking to the neighbour first and mention the council's dog warden.

(I can't see the Gardai being overly interested and will probably refer you to the dog warden anyway).

Try talking to the neighbour first and mention the council's dog warden.

(I can't see the Gardai being overly interested and will probably refer you to the dog warden anyway).

I don't know the neighbour, never see them around. I don't drive so my only option is to walk/cycle to their house. Not an option with two vicious dogs loose. The couple he attacked are also contacting the guards, the station is only at the bottom of the road whereas the dog warden is based 30 miles away. Besides he could have caused a traffic accident tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

First cycle on my new first road bike. Hadn't planned to get out but was awake before dawn so headed off for wma quick spin. Terenure to dundrum to sandyford then back into town via n11, up the canal home. I have a lot to learn about appropriate clothing, I was cold; also have a lot to learn about pacing myself. I did 55 mins in the saddle, average speed of 27km. Fun but would like to up the fitness and maybe try cycling in a group sooner rather than later. Lovely morning, nice to cycle quiet roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Had similar experience before and the dog warden is the best option. Give them a ring and they should come out quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't know the neighbour, never see them around. I don't drive so my only option is to walk/cycle to their house. Not an option with two vicious dogs loose. The couple he attacked are also contacting the guards, the station is only at the bottom of the road whereas the dog warden is based 30 miles away. Besides he could have caused a traffic accident tonight
    Ah fair enough. Sometimes though it can be better to approach people before reporting to give them an opportunity to rectify things. It can also give you a higher moral ground should matters needs to proceed further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

ford2600 wrote: »
    After 6 months looking for an opportunity finally got to tackle Mount Leinster today. To the mast this time.

A brutal climb, nothing else I've done here compares, including Mamore, Priests Leap. The climb from Bunclody to Nine Stones at foot of private road is lovely.

Tired now, 240km all told, including 130km or so before tackling that beast.

Had yhe delightful company of @Seweryn for the day. I know nothing about bikes in comparison! Or how to climb!

An apple, pear, 100g of peanuts and 100g of hazel nuts. The fridge will be raided soon.

A box ticked never again (this year anyhow)!
    Thank you again for fantastic company and for pulling the train up the wind on the way back. A proper long distance class rider, we can all learn from @ford2600 how to do it!

It was my pleasure to meet a gentleman Boardsie. I hope it wasn't our last spin together. However, I would advise myself to maybe keep away from Stua Laighean climb. For a while anyway :).

Go raibh maith agat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Smashed a goal I had set myself for Christmas/next year by getting top 10 on the Sutton Side of Howth. Have a good bit of weight to shift so definitely have a few more seconds in the legs in the coming months! :)

http://www.strava.com/segments/1019696?filter=overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

Define attacking.. Is the dog biting you , or just chasing the bike and being aggressive ?

If you have been bitten, call 999 there and then. Otherwise report it to the dog warden.
    Also, send a letter to the owner explaining the situation. Not confrontational and it shows the Gardai / Warden that you have tried to notify the owner directly.

Having a dog running at you and snapping isn't fun, but if it wanted to "attack" you it would be biting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

maybe try cycling in a group sooner rather than later.

Orwell winter spins starting tomorrow morning from Dundrum. How's that for 'sooner'?

• Advertisement

fiacha wrote: »
    Define attacking.. Is the dog biting you , or just chasing the bike and being aggressive ?

If you have been bitten, call 999 there and then. Otherwise report it to the dog warden.
    Also, send a letter to the owner explaining the situation. Not confrontational and it shows the Gardai / Warden that you have tried to notify the owner directly.

Having a dog running at you and snapping isn't fun, but if it wanted to "attack" you it would be biting.

The only reason I didn't get bit is because I was going fast and swerved every time he lunged for my legs. He shouldn't be loose on a main road end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The_Sub wrote: »
    41K in the Killarney adventure 60K race. The climb through the black valley to Molls Gap was just savage but the views and descent made it worth it. The run up Torq was just torture though. Delighted I did it though and will do it again next year.

Well done to everyone who took part,I had the pleasure of been involved as a steward,great stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

260km from Connemara to Dublin via Sally Gap at 28.2km/h average. Mostly on back roads.

The biggest challenge (bar the 10 hours of cycling!) is navigation. Forgot to download the OS maps on my old iPhone - plus I forgot how to turn on the GPS function. Works perfectly when it's set up right! If in doubt, just head west!

http://www.strava.com/activities/203246596

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Real stinker of a day, but enjoyed my ride a lot despite the heavy rain and wind. I don't usually fancy the wet days at all, but hadn't been out at all this week so had to get out for a quick spin down to Kilmore and back. Makes a big difference if it starts raining 4/5 minutes after the start, rather than as soon as you step out the door. I must sort out some new overshoes if I'm going to ride much this winter, as my feet were the only part of me that got really cold. Not much to see out on the road today, in fairness you wouldn't put a dog out in that weather.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203508310/analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

60 km in charity spin, controlled pace bar a 15 km section they let us go before regrouping for finish. Strava somehow decided the cycle in and home didn't warrant inclusion so did another 20ish km on top of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Wind... WTF...Haven't seen you for ages and that's the way you treat me? No point giving me a push on the way home when you've blown the goodness out of me on the way out.
    Not really cold, but there was a freshness about it all the same. At least I made it home just before the rain started.
    Longwood - Newbridge, cuppa tea at the brothers house - Longwood
    87.7 km in 3:17:13 @ 26.7kmh
    http://www.strava.com/activities/203566344

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Charity spin from Duleek to Trim, Summerhill, Dunsany, Skryne and back.
    Excellent marshalling, flattish route and the weather was fine (amazingly)
    95km door to door.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

313km + 4300m of fun filled hills on the Antrim 300.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203686364

Apart from a nip in the air early morning & late evening, and a headwind on the exposed North coast, the weather was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Werk meant I couldn't get out for a proper spin this weekend, finished up at about 1530 today and the weather looked uninviting so I decided the time was nigh for a long pondered offroad adventure for my trusty beater Wolfgang Beaterson (All Gadetra's fault...) tried to spin a decent speed on the way there but as usual Motorists love to hug the left of the lane so I lost a lot of potential high cadence time by having to wait for them to leave some space somewhere on the road.

When I got to the park in SPD offroad shoes lycra, helmet and glasses, I saw a guy in a Tshirt and Jeans on a real MTB drop down the side of the Magazine Fort hill like a rocket and casually check his e-mail or something for the bottom half of the descent.

Immediately cowed I decided to climb up the other side and do some relatively level trails, barely made it up the hill without clipping out, a small rise at the top and some bollards and I cracked and unclipped so I could stuff my lungs back inside my chest and then pootled along a bit on the forest trails before finding a nice little baby descent and bump, I was a bit too nervous at times although most of the downhill bits felt like I was rolling down on a sled so not a problem, I chickened out on the steep drop down opposite the magazine fort facing towards the river and a few steep climbs I had to hop off and run to the top.

Definitely a handy fitness booster, improving without an easily droppable seatpost (Wolfgang is a Mid 90s budget MTB with 14 & 15mm bolts on everything) won't be easy but I definitely feel like I gained more fitness wise than I would have in the same time on the roadbike plus I do laps of the park so many mornings now I'd have felt a bit **** doing it again for my 'big weekend spin'.

Will work harder next time, but enjoyable nonetheless.

http://www.strava.com/activities/203728487

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wedding anniversary this weekend (today - 13 years but I'm not the superstitious type, yet :D) so time was sort of limited. I couldn't get out on the bike yesterday with commitment to kids sports, etc.

I went out with Mrs. crosstownk yesterday evening for dinner and beers but managed to be in bed by 11pm. There's more to an early bird menu than saving money ;).

I got out on the bike this morning as the good lady slept on and I managed to get 50km in before dinner with the outlaws. My legs have been feeling tired these last few weeks but seemed to be up for it today. It was pity I hadn't more time available - 20 or 30km more would have been nice.

It was chilly and breezy out the Tallaght Bypass but I warmed up after 5km or so but I felt the chill again as I pedaled Lisheens to Manor Kilbride.

50km out to Blessington and back - 27.2km/h, 314m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement