Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

cycled back from nightshift, quick breakfast and out for a spin on the MTB to explore the local area (no wife and kids to distract me for a few days - great!) and also test my new garmin 800.
    Loaded a route, got dressed and set off. Headset is making funny noises, brakes don't seem too efficient and can't get the highest 3 gears on the RD, but the bike has been idle for months, so I soldier on.
    5Km into it... pop! Hole in tubeless tyre. No idea how it happened as it was fully pumped before I left and I didn't hit anything that I noticed. Threw in a tube and tried to patch the hole with a piece of card I found. Turned for home anyway. Patch didn't last. Used all my CO2 getting halfway home and had to walk the rest - no wife to call for help.. great :(
    Off to bed now. Pah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

godtabh wrote: »
    Nice autum morning this morning. Little wind but cold. Did a decent effort of 50km averaging 30km/h.

Debs season must be coming to an end but plenty of half naked young ones out and about this morning

*Hooks GoPro up to bike*

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eventful day today.

Started off and about 8km in a car was turning right. I slowed down and some numpty undertook the car turning right. Mounted the cycle track and hit me and fell as I got pinned between the cycle path kerb and the road. Then drove off.

No damage done to me or the bike (I think) quick check and I gave chase. Got her about 2km down the road. Took picture of the car reg. will
    Go the guards when i get home.

Happened in church town just past the SuperValu. Car turning right was a black Audi S3. Any one see anything let me know.

Continued on and did 140km in the end. Averaged 29.6km/h. Happy with that but faded at the end.

Also went to the MxDonald Drive Tru in Athlone. Great laugh had by all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Did the Ardattin 200 today in company with ror_74. Lovely day, lovely weather, lovely spin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Did the Ardattin 200 today in company with ror_74. Lovely day, lovely weather, lovely spin...

You mean you dragged me around :)

Cracking day though. A few more of those before winter would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Tallaght Blessington naas maynooth celbridge tallaght
    Lovely fresh morning ,bit cold starting out but warmed up quick enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Nice easy going spin up to Sally Gap and home via Ballinascorney. Glorious morning out there, although a touch cold in the shade.

http://www.strava.com/activities/206330781

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Did 18km on the mountain bike after 3 weeks not sitting on a bike at all because of moving house.

Came across 3 horses with riders on trail on the way home, wasn't going fast and stopped back from them so as not to spook the horses but locked the back wheel a touch and the noise made the horses take off like they heard a gunshot. Luckily all ok and I was very apologetic to the riders. They were very understanding thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

http://app.strava.com/activities/206398966/segments/4866674973

Nice morning for a spin here so did a lap of Lake Zurich - probably the only flat route here!
    Lots of nice cars out on the roads too - and rode past a Maclaren/AMG dealership that had a Veyron in the window.
    Not done a lot of riding outside my commute so I'm feeling a bit achy now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Lovely back-roads spin through the fog- filled Blackwater valley, marred only by the depressingly large number of half-wit drivers who reckon the appropriate level of lighting for driving in fog is "None".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Charity spin this morning in aid of the Gary Kelly centre in Drogheda.
    Drogheda-Nobber-Drogheda, about 70km.
    Was cold and foggy on the way out, felt a bit vulnerable with no rear light.
    A lot brighter and warmer on the way back in, a pleasant flat spin.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cold to start but after an hour into the spin I was probably over dressed. Still, it was a great morning for it.

I encountered the scrotes on the way back on the N81 from Saggart who were throwing sticks and stones at passing cyclists. I've heard of this crap in that location but today was the first time I encountered such idiotic behaviour. Thankfully they missed us. I stopped at the junction at the Jobstown Inn and called the Gardaí in Tallaght who said they'd be out straight away.

87km, 24.5km/h, 580m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

60km steady, Swords CC Youth spin, long may this weather continue, NCD is looking great in the Autumn sunshine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

37km up around the naul. met a nice italian chap called gianni and did about 25km with him, helped pass the time more quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Met my insomniac mate in Trim at 8.45 and headed to Navan (bloody freezing at 2 degrees and very foggy), onto Slane, down to Ashbourne (fog finally cleared and sun came out), onto Ratoath, Dunshaughlin and back to Trim. Beautiful morning with calm winds and comfortable temperature.

79km and could have done it again but my mate's knee was starting to act up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Nice spin over howth. Coast looked wonderful. Had a nice chat while having a sneaky rest at the harbour. A few PB s and the calfs are really feeling it now. Great day for the bike,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Freezing fog for the first half hour or so, glorious sunshine for the rest of the spin..??? Nice 50 k @ 28 kmh all the same. Longwood - Castlejordan - Kinnegad - Longwood.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/206400111

60km over the mountains. All seasons today. Went up stocking lane across sally gap and back via Manor Kilbride and Tallaght.

It was slightly nippy leaving at lunch so wore bib tights, base layer and a long sleeve jersey. Was overheating coming up Stocking lane and got slightly sunkissed going over the gap. It was absolutely brilliant weather up there. The sun went away on the decent and I could feel quite cold.. Time to invest in a gilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

48k this evening after two weeks off the bike due to knee pains. Still a slight niggle but the weather was too good to pass up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Went out with the youths again today, cracking to see them coming on so much... would normally only ride the route with this group and had 14 PBs today

was a little late after a diversion and had to burn myself to catch the group but made top 10 on segment doing so, tbh I wasn't pushing that hard because I knew where I'd catch them a few min later so gonna kill myself to try make the top 5 on it someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

61Km today via Cruagh Rd, Featherbeds, Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride home via N81.
    Blissful sunshine all the way up to the gap, however it disappeared when needed most on the descent to Manor Kilbride.
    Its great to get weather like today in mid October.

61km, 24.8kph and 805m climbed.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/206436575

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

105km today via Cruagh Road, Kippure Mast (for the first time!), Sally Gap, Roundwood, Laragh, Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride, Tallaght. 1659 climbing at 24.6 km average.

Capped a nice week managing to get out every day since Monday for 30k min.

http://www.strava.com/activities/206556006

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Almost had a clipless moment today today...my shoe got completely stuck to the pedal :eek:. managed to get the other foot out just in time.

Brought it into Bolton Cycles, the guy there got it off with a screwdriver and put a new screw in..wouldn't take a penny either, gentleman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Not today but went for a 44K cycle last night Finglas > Ashbourne > Rathoath > Fairyhouse > Clonee > Mulhuddart and home. Really enjoyed it but defo need to invest in brighter lights as was pitch black lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Nipped out at 5.30 on the button for 33k out the coast road to Killiney Hill and back to Ranelagh. Stiff enough headwind on the way out which was more than repaid on the way back with my first top 20 segment on Strava :-D. Got a PB on Killiney Hill too so a worthwhile evening to get out despite the bit of rain!

http://www.strava.com/activities/207309564/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

colm18 wrote: »
    Almost had a clipless moment today today...my shoe got completely stuck to the pedal :eek:. managed to get the other foot out just in time.

Brought it into Bolton Cycles, the guy there got it off with a screwdriver and put a new screw in..wouldn't take a penny either, gentleman!

Bolton is our LBS. Awesome little shop, excuse the hyperbole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed to knock out 37.4 ish KM today commuting. Work and messing around with cars curtailed my cycling/commuting of late.

It was dark, wet and miserable this morning. I sort of enjoy that though! I'm probably in the minority. :o

The long summer spins were great but commuting or cycling in horrendous conditions just has "something"

It's an enjoyable challenge, in it's own way.

Soon it will not be about the speed, the PR's or distance but pulling back the curtains in the morning and deciding.... fuk it, I'll give it a lash.

On a side note, if anyone is considering ordering winter gear from foreign lands, order in your normal size. Summer kit, size up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Finished work early today and got home intending to have a spin but the torrential rain hit so I said feck it, I may as well give this Turbo trainer thingy a go. I have genuinely never been on one before. 10 minutes later I had "Sufferfest- Fight Club" running and away I went.

Fúck me pink boys, that's a hell of a work out!!! It was enjoyable in a kind of perverse way. No substitute for being out on the road but definitely something to do on a miserable evening. Happy out:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

usually commute to work and back - 45 km.

On the way home, came up to this guy on a road bike and office attire who decided that he wanted to race me into the city. Was traveling from Foxrock church to RTE - me on the cycle lane and him on the road.

I was not having any of it. So I stayed a few metres behind him and cycled at my own pace. He kept looking over his shoulder.
    Eventually I had enough and decided that I would pass him out at RTE. As I speeded up to pass him out, he decided to speed up as well. The two of us cycling side by side. The moron would not allow me to pass. I looked over at him and the big stupid grin on him. So fu(king dangerous. I pulled by brakes, pulled in behind him and allowed him to put a bit of distance between us. He still kept looking over his shoulder.

Came behind him again at Donnybrook church. As soon as the lights turned green, I just went for it. Never looked over my shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dont know if I was cursed or lucky tonight going for a quick spin up around Howth. Set out in dryish weather but less then 10 minutes from home my back light fitting decided it wanted out and parted from the bike. found the light but no bracket. managed to shove the light between the saddle and bag and carried on up & over the summit. passed Sutton cross on the way home but shortly after the train line I thought I could feel my back wheel slipping. thought it might just have been the wet road surface but when I got home and checked the back wheel skewer had managed to loosen itself and the wheel just dropped straight out. Was only in the door 5 minutes and was a heavy shower of rain which I was glad to miss

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement