Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Out with club, A good few punctures (7-8), a good few dropped (regulars in the group too), a possible broken arm (not me) and nearly 95km out through Blessington, Hollywood, Dunlavin and back through Naas to Newcastle.

Around the farthest point from home I had a blow out. My tyre might have been a bit worn (probably from turbo) and I then realised I had forgotten my spare inner tubes. The lads lent me a tube and fixed the tyre for me (gel packet over the hole) and I headed back towards Naas after a quick call to my wife to come and pick me up. She rang back 5 minutes later - van had a puncture too. She rang the breakdown co. and I headed back and we ended up meeting in Newcastle. Dropped the bike back at the shop for new tyres.

Still - happy with where I am at this point in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

took the coastal route from Malahide to Bray today, not a bad day for it and the rain held off most of the way.

quick coffee in bray and noticed i had a flat rear tyre. Got to work on replacing the tube and a chance to show off my new C02 inflator. "its class, saves so much time", i explained to my buddy as he has never seen them before, i was chewing my words within 5 mins as the rear was flat again :):). i had gone through the inside of the tyre the first time but didn't look close enough as their was a tiny piece of glass doooh. All out of c02 and only the worst hand pump in history couldn't do much for us. A quick phone call to Mrs Whacker in the support car !! and a track pump was en route ( we were determined to cycle the return leg) this time it all went well and we completed the return leg all be it a hour or so late and in the dark which was a first but not that bad. might ditch the turbo for the a bit of midweek road cycling now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

My first ride of the year, I uploaded it to Strava, and the route map looks like the outline of Butt-head's head. Some people get the image of Jesus on their toast, I get Butt-head on a map, welcome to 2013. 'Twas particularly windy along the base of Butt-head's disembodied head (Wicklow Gap) today, otherwise a good day for a spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Done my first +60Km spin today have done a few 50's but not since the middle of last year, nasty breeze and wet but enjoyed it :)

Been a while since I've enjoyed a spin like that, bring on the week now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

2 hours 15 mins on Turbo. Sweatfest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

3 hours with a savage headwind for the second half. The amount of rain around was unreal and it has not stopped.

This was my first outdoors spin of the new year and I question my own sanity:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Out with club, A good few punctures (7-8), a good few dropped (regulars in the group too), a possible broken arm (not me) and nearly 95km out through Blessington, Hollywood, Dunlavin and back through Naas to Newcastle.

Around the farthest point from home I had a blow out. My tyre might have been a bit worn (probably from turbo) and I then realised I had forgotten my spare inner tubes. The lads lent me a tube and fixed the tyre for me (gel packet over the hole) and I headed back towards Naas after a quick call to my wife to come and pick me up. She rang back 5 minutes later - van had a puncture too. She rang the breakdown co. and I headed back and we ended up meeting in Newcastle. Dropped the bike back at the shop for new tyres.

Still - happy with where I am at this point in the year.

None of us on that spin will ever forget it! My Garmin showed over 2 hours of stationary time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Long cycle, many hills, up and over efforts, hard, tired now.

Went up three rock today for my first spin in two months due to injury layoff. Brought the cyclocross, went through the forest which was great. Took a wrong turn and ended up in a field which was full of bog, thorns and thick bushes. Kept pushing through that (turned into more of a hike than a cycle) and eventually hopped into another field and came out near Johnny Foxes.

So, eh, next time I think I'll make sure my navigator knows where he is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Dónal wrote: »
    Went up three rock today for my first spin in two months due to injury layoff. Brought the cyclocross, went through the forest which was great. Took a wrong turn and ended up in a field which was full of bog, thorns and thick bushes. Kept pushing through that (turned into more of a hike than a cycle) and eventually hopped into another field and came out near Johnny Foxes.

So, eh, next time I think I'll make sure my navigator knows where he is going.

Johnny Foxes? Sure it wasn't the Blue Light?

Sounds like you need some nav allright !;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

95km in 4 hrs solo on a very meandering make it up as you go along route around Meath. Came across a car upside down in the middle of a boreen with grass growin up the middle. No one injured. Don't know what messing they were at to do that, just glad I didn't meet them at that speed, eegits. Had planned 100k but it was getting very dark so had to abandon unfortunately, hate finishing at 90 something!

route66 wrote: »
    Johnny Foxes? Sure it wasn't the Blue Light?

Sounds like you need some nav allright !;)

Nah came out at Glencullen Golf Club and followed it til we hit a road by Glencullen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Only go my first bike in november and had a few short spins on it. So today i decide to head out and get a few miles under my belt...did first 30 km in 1 hour 10 and then headed for home into a headwind which really broke my spirit ..i was crawling by the last 5 km..all in all the 60 km took me 2 hours and 45 mins..i was happy enough with that as i have not been on a bike properly in 20 years...will go out again on monday and do a shorter spin of about 30 km as i definitly need to build up my fitness as really struggling on hills..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Went for an evening/night time cycle around Cork on my MTB. 20km, 55 mins, It's cold out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

30km today. Went really well, I just felt really on form today. Everything seemed so effortless. These days don't come often so it was pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Did just under 30km last night for the first time in ages. Felt fantastic afterwards....when I could feel my toes again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did a loop of Killiney hill at the midpoint of a 45km spin both yesterday and the day before.

Against all expectations it was much easier second time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

60 odd km d'smornin. T'was cold, very very cold. Fuck it was cold. To sum up, cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Snow... that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Was going to do a long spin, but it started snowing around Kilmessan so I cut it short, thought I was going to lose a toe to the cold coming down Tara, I'm with longshanks, 'twas cold, though you feel you deserve your shower after a spin like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Whingers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

Club spin out of Kildare was delayed for an hour and a half this morning to let the roads thaw, that made the timing perfect for the rain, started as I left home and finished just before I got back, not a bad spin though at least the wind stayed away.

colm_gti wrote: »
    Whingers!

No whinging here, I actually enjoy it, until the sleet stated tbh. It felt kind of awesome to be in the snow on a bike like that. Made me feel like there was some Belgian blood flowing around inside, guess that's why the club has the Belgian colours.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

No whinging here, I actually enjoy it, until the sleet stated tbh. It felt kind of awesome to be in the snow on a bike like that. Made me feel like there was some Belgian blood flowing around inside, guess that's why the club has the Belgian colours.;)

I'd say you were glad of them tights today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Check out the photo on the Lucan FB page! Bloody snow started sticking on the way out from Batterstown towards Trim. No choice but to turn back and head to Ratoath and beyond. By then snow had turned to freezing rain and continued like that most of the way round. 117km of frozen fingers and toes - probably ranks as the most miserable spin I've had.:(

colm_gti wrote: »
    I'd say you were glad of them tights today ;)

Oh, tell me about it. I do regret selling my shoe covers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

started at 1 degree finished at about 4 rain but no snow not too bad (just thawed out after an hour in the sauna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Went out today for a charity cycle in cork. It's the best I have felt sense August last year on the bike. Lately the smallest hills have been a pain literally. Went out for 10k last week and every thing hurt. Today tho, I looked forward to the hills. Went up them like I never have before. It was cold but didn't mind as it was dry, a plus given the last few spins I have had.

All in all a great cycle. Hopefully that feeling will keep up for a while. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

started at 1 degree finished at about 4 rain but no snow not too bad (just thawed out after an hour in the sauna.

you have a sauna :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

you have a sauna :eek:
    You don't? Christ, they let anyone cycle these days!

NB: I don't own, nor have I ever used, a sauna.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement