Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

route66 wrote: »
    in this case, a mm by mm examination of the tyre revealed a tiny sliver of glass which I extracted before fitting the new tube.

You probably know this trick already, but if you align the writing on your tyre with the valve hole on the rim when you first put it on, it makes this process much easier. Check where the puncture is on the tube (many of them have some chalk dust inside to make it easier), then check the same location on the tyre for the culprit bit of glass / thorn or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

smacl wrote: »
    You probably know this trick already, but if you align the writing on your tyre with the valve hole on the rim when you first put it on, it makes this process much easier. Check where the puncture is on the tube (many of them have some chalk dust inside to make it easier), then check the same location on the tyre for the culprit bit of glass / thorn or whatever.

I do this and it's a good tip.

But to be honest I didn't make use of it - when the tube came out I forgot the "orientation" and therefore couldn't determine which side of the valve the hole may be :eek: I could have checked both sides but I think I was weary and not thinking straight ...

Doh! And all that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

cx stuff

You gonna sign up for a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bandit1987

not today,but saturdays cycle was my 2nd cycle with a group and its definitely getting slightly easier and im nearly over the 100k mark still havent broken it just yet, got dropped bout half way through on a few small hills but managed to get back on before eventually being dropped again for the last few kms home

ht tp://www .strava.com /activities/214188766

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Raam wrote: »
    You gonna sign up for a race?

Hope to pop my cx cherry on the 16th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

ventured out the Northside to Portmarnock leisure centre via the Malahide road "en route" home to Ballyboden yesterday. Very pleasant flat fast cycling although I felt like a total suburbanite when the public lighting stopped and I was relatively suddenly on an unlit country road. In the dark! eek :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Peterx wrote: »
    ventured out the Northside to Portmarnock leisure centre via the Malahide road "en route" home to Ballyboden yesterday. Very pleasant flat fast cycling although I felt like a total suburbanite when the public lighting stopped and I was relatively suddenly on an unlit country road. In the dark! eek :)

Yup, its pretty dangerous to cycle around here after dark if you don't know the area well because, as you've found, you can find yourself on a very dark country road at almost every turn.. The only safe road (with decent lighting) is to continue on into Malahide and down the Malahide road, but that gets very dark for a short distance as you pass the castle.

Sticking to the topic ~ nothing too adventurous this morning, save for my third puncture in two weeks so 'tis a new tyre for me today :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

25km mountain biking with the dog to keep me company, haven't cycled in 6 weeks but set a host of PBs on the climbing segments. Putting them down to being down about 10lbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

shaka wrote: »
    25km mountain biking with the dog to keep me company, haven't cycled in 6 weeks but set a host of PBs on the climbing segments. Putting them down to being down about 10lbs

The poor dog, 25km!

Where are you doing that ditance on mtb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

It was a great day to let it pass wasted so ended up with this: http://www.strava.com/activities/215852162 . Last couple kms were pure struggle burnt all my reserves off and there was only a small amount of food with me( 2 small muesli bars and a packet of crackers). And it started to turn cold after 2pm, it wasn't a nice feeling as I was drenched in sweat. Came home as a hungry wolf. I feel a little bit wrecked and 12 hrs night shift still waiting for me. :-( Sick to the teeth! 97kms done in 3 hours 45 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

ford2600 wrote: »
    The poor dog, 25km!

Where are you doing that ditance on mtb?

Ballyhouras , no bother to him not even out of breath. Irish water spaniel, good stamina dog- sitting here now rolling tennis ball at my feet looking to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Been off the bike for about four weeks with a back injury from work. Got out for an hour after work, felt great to be back on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Borderfox wrote: »
    Been off the bike for about four weeks with a back injury from work. Got out for an hour after work, felt great to be back on the bike.
    I have disc problems which flare up and keep me off the bike every now and then, always a wonderful feeling when you're fit enough to be cycling again.
    Great you got out for an hour. If you want to stay cycling, don't do as I usually do and push yourself too hard too soon putting yourself back at square one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

shaka wrote: »
    Ballyhouras , no bother to him not even out of breath. Irish water spaniel, good stamina dog- sitting here now rolling tennis ball at my feet looking to play.

I hope the protesters don't hear about Irish water employing dogs now!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

More dicking around in the park on the CX bike. Nearly rode into someone making what looked like some sort of music video in the middle of a forest.Saw them from a distance and didn't know what they were at,the closer I got I saw one of them walking and playing a guitar,then coped the big camera on the others shoulder. You see all sorts in that park.:confused:

http://www.strava.com/activities/216495196
    I went a bit crazy around the slopes of the Papal cross, practicing turns on the steep gradient.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Lovely morning out West. 65km cycle out from Ennis to Tulla, Kilkishen, Sixmilebridge, Shannon, Newmarket and home to Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bandit1987

out this morning and managed my first 100km cycle. weather wasnt too bad got very wet first hour or so from the wet road no rain what so ever sun came out about half way round but wasnt enough to dry/warm me up. - really have to figure out what gear I should be wearing [if anyone can pm me with tips or ideas would be great :)]

still cant post urls so sorry bout the spaces ill eventually get m post count up enouhg...

http ://www .strava. com/activities/216821055

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Went out along Clontarf for an hour this afternoon in the lashing rain purely to try out my new rain jacket:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-membrane-waterproof-cycling-jacket-red-white-id_8221264.html

Nice to have the cycle lane more or less to myself. The jacket did the business too and the sun came out for the last 15 mins :)

Just need good gloves, overshoes and bib tights now !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Went out along Clontarf for an hour this afternoon in the lashing rain purely to try out my new rain jacket:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-membrane-waterproof-cycling-jacket-red-white-id_8221264.html

Nice to have the cycle lane more or less to myself. The jacket did the business too and the sun came out for the last 15 mins :)

Just need good gloves, overshoes and bib tights now !!

Heh, was out Saturday myself, local roads flooded, down to Heuston, train to Waterford, also flooded, and up to south Wexford via passage east. My jacket was about as much use as a string vest, so will be looking for alternatives. Bore more than a passing resemblance to a drowned rat.

Longer one today, south Wexford back to Dublin, for 172k in 8 hours door to door. Lovely morning, but pretty mixed afternoon with plenty of rain, but thankfully no wind. A bit shattered now, and struggled badly on the last 20-30k, though pleased to cover the distance with no coffee stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Was in Paris last week for a work thing. Went to the nearest Decathlon to try on/buy one of these. Didn't have any in stock :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rtmie wrote: »
    Was in Paris last week for a work thing. Went to the nearest Decathlon to try on/buy one of these. Didn't have any in stock :-(

If you use Parcel Motel decathlon will deliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I would just like to say, that was one helluva wind this evening. Full on Easterly thingamajig.

I pity anyone in Dublin whose whole journey was west to east. E.G. Tallaght/Lucan/Citywest etc to the city center.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

34km today between commutes. Got out yesterday to 53° North and ended up spending a fortune on new gloves, a helmet, Kryptonite lock and cheap enough woollen base layers from Heaton's. Gloves and base layers together were only 30 quid so are only a stopgap for winter until I can afford something of more decent quality, but I'm already saving huge amounts [time & cash wise] from bus fares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Left work latish. Said to a colleague that given the weather all I needed was a puncture!
    The room with my cycling gear was locked - waited about 10mins for security to open.
    Left building and after a few hundred meters I got a puncture.
    Found a sheltered area in temple bar to change puncture in p1ssing rain.
    Spare tube (unused) had a minor hole -!must have picked up in saddle bag I guess.
    Got second spare tube on and cycled home in rain praying that I wouldn't get a puncture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wet. The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Picked up a kona zing deluxe in mint condition from someone on Sunday at 7pm, full carbon frame. Lovely ride, (for the 5 mins I was on it) then was side swiped by a car at 8am on the way to work. Bye bye bike. More importantly I am ok, back creaking a bit and knees swollen. Be careful out there guys, weather is getting worse and motorists are getting impatient. This particular chap was sitting in traffic, obviously got bored and swung out to do a 3 point turn, clipping yours truly who ended up going over the bonnet and into a garden gate. Not sure when I'll be back on 2 wheels now sadly as the only other set of wheels I have is my tri bike, aint risking that. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Pm1e wrote: »
    Picked up a kona zing deluxe in mint condition from someone on Sunday at 7pm, full carbon frame. Lovely ride, (for the 5 mins I was on it) then was side swiped by a car at 8am on the way to work. Bye bye bike. More importantly I am ok, back creaking a bit and knees swollen. Be careful out there guys, weather is getting worse and motorists are getting impatient. This particular chap was sitting in traffic, obviously got bored and swung out to do a 3 point turn, clipping yours truly who ended up going over the bonnet and into a garden gate. Not sure when I'll be back on 2 wheels now sadly as the only other set of wheels I have is my tri bike, aint risking that. :(

surely the driver will be sorting you out with a new bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Pm1e wrote: »

Glad to hear that you're not badly injured, but do get yourself properly checked out, if you haven't already done so. Some injuries can take a while to show up, given adrenalin and shock tec.

Just to clarify, were you coming up the inside of a line of traffic, or on the outside?

godtabh wrote: »
    surely the drive will be sorting you out with a new bike?

yes he will, I left the bike in to wheelworx to make 100% sure it is ruined beyond repair. So either way he will be sorting out a new bike or paying for the kona to be fixed, not an ideal start to the week though and meant I was on the horrible dart this morning.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    Glad to hear that you're not badly injured, but do get yourself properly checked out, if you haven't already done so. Some injuries can take a while to show up, given adrenalin and shock tec.

Just to clarify, were you coming up the inside of a line of traffic, or on the outside?

I was on the outside, the inside (left side) on this bit of road is impassable with parked cars, and the traffic was at a stand still so I was going up the drivers right hand side, same as you see motor bikes doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement